Menu

Ignore this thread!

They're only a requirement in our family because I have taken a picture of every.single.tooth.*

I really try to make sure I have pictures of the younger dc just like I do of the older ones.

*except for the tooth that got swallowed and we never saw again

I'm sorry.

:D

• Like 1

It was just more bland than I expected. The dinner and company were lovely, though! And I DO love the desserts!!!

I had just started driving for the Amish community when we decided to move.

You were/are Amish? Is it okay to even ask that?

No, I'm not Amish and never have been.  But, there is a lot of Amish influence on food where I grew up (south-central Pennsylvania).

A few years ago I found out that my step-dad's grandfather was Mennonite.  My dad never knew because the family had left the church.

• Like 5

You're so much better than I am! I don't have nearly as many pics of the younger ones, and don't even ask about their baby books!

The scrapbooks are not caught up at all.  But I have the pictures, so there is the *hope* of scrapbooks.  :)

• Like 1

My first movie in a theater was Bambi when I was 3 (re-release, not 1940s!). I fell asleep and was probably 10 before I learned what happened at the end. I'm glad I didn't know because I loved it so much. 

I think I'm going to have an antacid, ice cream bar, and potato chips for dinner. Everything else sounds like butt. And I'll eat it while watching Orange is the New Black while everyone else sleeps.

We have lots of bees for my cucumbers, fwiw. Maybe they prefer my flowers, but they are all over the place when I deadhead. 

Hope you feel better Ikslo!  :grouphug:

• Like 6

My first movie in a theater was Bambi when I was 3 (re-release, not 1940s!). I fell asleep and was probably 10 before I learned what happened at the end. I'm glad I didn't know because I loved it so much. 

I think I'm going to have an antacid, ice cream bar, and potato chips for dinner. Everything else sounds like butt. And I'll eat it while watching Orange is the New Black while everyone else sleeps.

We have lots of bees for my cucumbers, fwiw. Maybe they prefer my flowers, but they are all over the place when I deadhead. 

Hope you feel better Ikslo!  :grouphug:

My dad took me and my sister to see Bambi, too!  (Now I'll have to check to see if this was before Grease.)

Anyway, my dad fell asleep.  My sister and I had to wake him up when it was over.  :)

• Like 2

So, anybody figured out yet what grammar I should do next year with my then 6.75yo?

What's your goals? I like Grammar Island for a gentle intro. If you want something more structured you could always try KISS. It's free, and a pretty easy intro for little kids. 

Then she asked me, "Trash or recycle?"   :lol:

Reuse!

Around the time my oldest was 15 or 16, that scrapbooking company was popular (the one you have parties for, can't think of the name) so I bought all the fancy stuff to make a book for him by his 18th birthday.

I haven't done it yet.

He will be 33 next week.

I know! You can do it for when he'll be 2x18. 

Your kid is older than I am. 

Born the same month/year though. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

:001_wub:

( do you want to borrow mine or do you need the kindle version?)

:svengo: Pirates!  It's pirate stuff!!  The Boo LOVES piracy! :001_wub:

• Like 1

Now, thinking about my own kid being 33 doesn't make me feel old. Thinking about you guys being the same age as my kid makes me feel like the grandma here!!

And the odd thing is, that he actually has a kid who's 3-4 years older than my oldest, so you're already used to being a grandma. 

:001_wub:

( do you want to borrow mine or do you need the kindle version?)

:svengo: Pirates!  It's pirate stuff!!  The Boo LOVES piracy! :001_wub:

I probably won't read it for A WHILE. I'm butt.

I think the pirate one is a day planner. Look at the samples.

Around me, that would be because the Dutch being referred to is Pennsylvania Dutch, aka Amish/old Order Mennonite; it's a derivative of Deutsch, not Dutch. So, yeah, it wouldn't be the same. Also, their pot pie is not pot pie. It's butt.

Okay, care to share a GOOD recipe for pot pie?  I like good pot pie, but haven't had any in a couple of decades.

Dinner is cooked. I did not do any special orders. I left it out on the counter to be eaten and retreated for a while. My head and my neck both hurt. I think I'll settle down with a heat pack and just rest for the remainder of the evening if I can.

Here's hoping for good rest and feeling better in the morning.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

You know what I want right now? I want my grandmother's plums from the plum tree that used to grow next to their property. Technically, it belonged to the neighbors, but the neighbors were often gone in the summer on camping jaunts and had no problem with ruffians pawing over their fruit trees for the ones the wasps didn't get. They were tiny, perfect little sweets, and so juicy. 

I think I'm putting plum trees on my "want" list for gardening. I don't need blueberries, blackberries, or peaches (all locally available in season) but nobody has good plums.

We had trees that produced little cherry-sized plums on the family farm.  When the trees got full Mom would call Aunts Mary & Joan, and they would come pick like crazy, then take them home to make wine and jam.

• Like 2

Ds has his four wisdom teeth in a little container that they gave him today to go.

Are they all intact, or did they have to chop them up to get them out?

Around the time my oldest was 15 or 16, that scrapbooking company was popular (the one you have parties for, can't think of the name) so I bought all the fancy stuff to make a book for him by his 18th birthday.

I haven't done it yet.

He will be 33 next week.

For my high school graduation (when I was 17) my Mom designed a quilt just for me.  She had the top pieced together in time for my graduation.

She handed me the finished quilt on my wedding day, nineteen years later.

• Like 7

I think The Little Mermaid was the first movie I saw in the theatre. My Dad had to take me out be ause I started screaming hysterically when Ursula turned gigantic.

When I was about 7 or so my brother and I were allowed to see a movie in the theater without accompanying parents.  20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.  When the giant squid attacked the Nautilus I ran up the aisle, through the swinging doors at the back, and watched the rest of the movie through the gap in the doors, next to the usher.  My brother (age 9) hurried up the aisle when the movie was over until he saw where I was, then he nonchalantly sauntered the rest of the way to me and made typical big-brother remarks about me being scared (to show he wasn't).  He then told Dad all about it when we went for our usual post-movie ice cream cones.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention pancakes:

http://joylovefood.com/dutch-pancakes/

Personally, I put the savory or sweet things in the pan before pouring the batter over it, rather than immediately after, but I suppose either way works. I also put the cheese (if I use it) on the batter right away, not when it's almost dry. I've never tried broccoli, spinach, bananas or blueberries, and I don't think I've ever encountered those options in NL (though these things are things you can buy in the supermarket, so surely *some* people have used them, because really, you can make pancakes with pretty much anything). Other common things not listed in the article are onions, peas, maybe bell peppers or tomatoes, raisins (can combine with the apple), and I've also done plain but with sugar on top right after putting the batter in the pan, same as with cheese. When you flip them, the sugar or cheese will stick at first, but after a while I won't really stick (I strongly prefer non-stick pans for this... in theory a hot and well-oiled regular pan should work, but...). Also, don't use maple syrup - nobody in NL does that. Normally, you'd use syrup made from sugar beets, which is hard to find here, but just regular sugar syrup is close enough. Of course, you *can* use maple syrup... it's just not Dutch. 

• Like 2

Pinocchio was my first movie. Plus a short about a real bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember seeing that and a bunch of others (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!).  I remember my dad telling me to take an eyes-open nap if I wanted to go see Sleeping Beauty, since they didn't have it in the matinee (I'd be up past my bedtime going to the 7 PM show).

For my high school graduation (when I was 17) my Mom designed a quilt just for me. She had the top pieced together in time for my graduation.

She handed me the finished quilt on my wedding day, nineteen years later.

When I was 13 I started a cross-stitched quilt cover. My mother finally finished it for me for my wedding 16 years later.

• Like 5

My mom never made me a quilt. 

She did make a quilt for my kids. And she embroidered their names and some other things to surround those names and had that framed (one for each kid). She knitted some sweaters for me when I was a kid, one with a flying carpet and iirc an elephant (not on the flying carpet). 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

No, I'm not Amish and never have been. But, there is a lot of Amish influence on food where I grew up (south-central Pennsylvania).

A few years ago I found out that my step-dad's grandfather was Mennonite. My dad never knew because the family had left the church.

I should have ketchupped more before I commented. Edited by KrissiK

I forgot to mention pancakes:

http://joylovefood.com/dutch-pancakes/

Personally, I put the savory or sweet things in the pan before pouring the batter over it, rather than immediately after, but I suppose either way works. I also put the cheese (if I use it) on the batter right away, not when it's almost dry. I've never tried broccoli, spinach, bananas or blueberries, and I don't think I've ever encountered those options in NL (though these things are things you can buy in the supermarket, so surely *some* people have used them, because really, you can make pancakes with pretty much anything). Other common things not listed in the article are onions, peas, maybe bell peppers or tomatoes, raisins (can combine with the apple), and I've also done plain but with sugar on top right after putting the batter in the pan, same as with cheese. When you flip them, the sugar or cheese will stick at first, but after a while I won't really stick (I strongly prefer non-stick pans for this... in theory a hot and well-oiled regular pan should work, but...). Also, don't use maple syrup - nobody in NL does that. Normally, you'd use syrup made from sugar beets, which is hard to find here, but just regular sugar syrup is close enough. Of course, you *can* use maple syrup... it's just not Dutch. 

In Minnesota when I lived there Pannekoeken Huis was considered a big treat.  It would put IHOP to shame.  I do wonder how authentic the food actually was, but my Mom loved going there for the decor.  She had a Danish pen pal when she was a teen -- Mom got to visit her when she went to Europe for a bit.  Mom collected blue Danish Christmas plates ever since and would collect Danish and Dutch knick knacks.  Hans Brinker was a favorite story in our house every winter.

#morethantypicallevelofknowledgeofNLatthetimewherewelived

• Like 2

Bambi was my first theater movie. When it came out in 1975. Then I saw Star Wars in the theater in 1977 and commenced my 40 year long love affair with Harrison Ford.

I have made a deal with myself:  I will only pay attention to that man in movies --  :drool5:  as an actor!  I will ignore his piloting aircraft because I disapprove of some of the things he has done there.

• Like 1

Hans Brinker was a favorite story in our house every winter.

Written by an American in 1865, translated to Dutch in 1867. While she didn't come up with the story of the finger in the dike, the popularity of her book did cause it to be some import-folklore in NL, and we even made some statues of the boy with his finger in the dike to appease the tourists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Brinker,_or_The_Silver_Skates

• Like 3