Menu

Ignore this thread!

Just to be clear, what you can get in the US that's labeled as "Dutch apple pie" is not Dutch apple pie. Not sure what it is. It's not the same, and not as good. 

Do you have a recipe for a real one? 4th of July is coming up; what's more American than apple pie other than Dutch Apple Pie?  ;)

Edited by Paige

Just to be clear, what you can get in the US that's labeled as "Dutch apple pie" is not Dutch apple pie. Not sure what it is. It's not the same, and not as good.

Around me, that would be because the Dutch being referred to is Pennsylvania Dutch, aka Amish/old Order Mennonite; it's a derivative of Deutsch, not Dutch. So, yeah, it wouldn't be the same. Also, their pot pie is not pot pie. It's butt.

• Like 1

Dinner is cooked. I did not do any special orders. I left it out on the counter to be eaten and retreated for a while. My head and my neck both hurt. I think I'll settle down with a heat pack and just rest for the remainder of the evening if I can.

• Like 1

Do you have a recipe for a real one? 4th of July is coming up; what's more American than apple pie other than Dutch Apple Pie?  ;)

FOOD!

Apple pie. We think of it as something typically Dutch. And we printed a recipe for it in a cookbook in 1514, so the whole "As American as apple pie" thing is nonsense (there's also an English recipe from 1381, but I don't think modern Brits are very into apple pie). Also, Dutch apple pie is better (use two different varieties of apple, half sweet and half tart, and serve with whipped cream):

http://www.thedutchtable.com/2010/01/appeltaart-dutch-apple-pie.html

• Like 2

Question: when you deadhead a full grown rose can you also prune back the random branches that have shot up a foot taller than the rest of the bush?

Yes. The rogue tall branches can be cut back to improve overall shape of the bush. But if you want to cut back a lot, do it in stages rather than cutting to far back and risking shocking the plant. Water thoroughly before hand, only take 1/3 of the plant, and cut at a 45 degree angle. Clean your pruners with bleach water before and after to prevent spread of any disease. Happy pruning!

• Like 3

Spud, can you do a test streak in an underneath layer to see how your hair responds to henna? My DSIL looks awesome as a redhead, but not every color works for everybody.

Luuknam, what is custard powder? I don't believe I've ever seen that. Is it a thickener like cornstarch?

• Like 2

You know what I want right now? I want my grandmother's plums from the plum tree that used to grow next to their property. Technically, it belonged to the neighbors, but the neighbors were often gone in the summer on camping jaunts and had no problem with ruffians pawing over their fruit trees for the ones the wasps didn't get. They were tiny, perfect little sweets, and so juicy. 

I think I'm putting plum trees on my "want" list for gardening. I don't need blueberries, blackberries, or peaches (all locally available in season) but nobody has good plums.

• Like 6

You know what I want right now? I want my grandmother's plums from the plum tree that used to grow next to their property. Technically, it belonged to the neighbors, but the neighbors were often gone in the summer on camping jaunts and had no problem with ruffians pawing over their fruit trees for the ones the wasps didn't get. They were tiny, perfect little sweets, and so juicy.

I think I'm putting plum trees on my "want" list for gardening. I don't need blueberries, blackberries, or peaches (all locally available in season) but nobody has good plums.

We have a plum branch on our fruit salad tree. Yummy Santa Rosa plums. Tart skin, but sweet sweet sweet flesh.
  • Like 2

To what evidence thereof are you referring?

She said upthread that they were going to watch Moana tonight.  Maybe that's what she's referring to.

Yep. There's an underwater monster world that makes the drunk dumbo scene look like an application to Yale.

• Like 2

I know that Amazon is taking over the universe and I should limit my purchases.

BUT...

Prime shipping.  To anywhere I say.  So I just sent microwave popcorn to my Boo millions of miles away at camp.  Which should help nicely with my withdrawal symptoms, don't you think?

• Like 9

BUT...

Prime shipping. To anywhere I say. So I just sent microwave popcorn to my Boo millions of miles away at camp. Which should help nicely with my withdrawal symptoms, don't you think?

Do something weird. Like a new soda flovor.

Luuknam, what is custard powder? I don't believe I've ever seen that. Is it a thickener like cornstarch?

Uh, I don't know. In reality, I combine the two recipes my grandmother left me, neither of which features custard powder. But it's been a long time since I've made apple pie, what with not having a working oven. The recipe I linked to looked about right, but, I think it'd be fine without custard powder (whatever that is). 

• Like 2

BUT...

Prime shipping. To anywhere I say. So I just sent microwave popcorn to my Boo millions of miles away at camp. Which should help nicely with my withdrawal symptoms, don't you think?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FZIGTV0/ref=psdcmw_12900091_t3_B00M7QRAQM?th=1&psc=1

• Like 1

We planted cucumber for DD this year. I hate them so it's a first. Our cucumbers are fat and short- how do I know when to pick them? Do they start out squatty and grow longer, or are they ready when green? Tomatoes are easy- red means pick. 

We planted cucumber for DD this year. I hate them so it's a first. Our cucumbers are fat and short- how do I know when to pick them? Do they start out squatty and grow longer, or are they ready when green? Tomatoes are easy- red means pick. 

Does the seed packet not say how long they will grow, roughly?

Does the seed packet not say how long they will grow, roughly?

He was in a pot. It was labeled as a cucumber "bush" who I thought wasn't supposed to get vine-like but he seems very viney. I no longer have the little info card that came with the plant, but IIRC it was just supposed to be normal cucumbers and not pickling cucumbers. I think it's deformed unless they all start short and fat but we only have 1 right now. The rest are still flowers.

He was in a pot. It was labeled as a cucumber "bush" who I thought wasn't supposed to get vine-like but he seems very viney. I no longer have the little info card that came with the plant, but IIRC it was just supposed to be normal cucumbers and not pickling cucumbers. I think it's deformed unless they all start short and fat but we only have 1 right now. The rest are still flowers.

Short and fat cucumbers sometimes happen when the pollination isn't right. Because those are the first ones they may be malformed. Try some hand pollination on the other flowers if you are short on bees. 

I was just thinking it might be nice to go out and see a movie sometime with the boys. Not sure what I want to see, though.

Random spinoff....

ET.  I want ET to play again in a theater.  It was the first theater movie I attended (I was about...8?) and I loved it.   :001_wub:

My kids' first theater movie was Pete's Dragon.  Also lovable.   :001_wub:

• Like 2

When we went to an Amish dinner it was all very bland.

You're calling my childhood food bland?  :toetap05:

Sigh.

I guess maybe it is, but it's home to me.  :)

Favorites:  Chicken corn soup, pickled red beet eggs

Refuse to eat ever again:  Hog maw 

• Like 6

Random spinoff....

ET.  I want ET to play again in a theater.  It was the first theater movie I attended (I was about...8?) and I loved it.   :001_wub:

My kids' first theater movie was Pete's Dragon.  Also lovable.   :001_wub:

The first movie I remember seeing in a theater was Grease.  I was in preschool.  (Needless to say, my dad had no idea how to pick movies for children.)

• Like 5

Dd6 just lost another tooth.  I took the required photos.  Dd6 asked if she should throw the tooth away.  I told her yes, because we don't do the tooth fairy here.

Then she asked me, "Trash or recycle?"   :lol:

• Like 9

Dd6 just lost another tooth. I took the required photos. Dd6 asked if she should throw the tooth away. I told her yes, because we don't do the tooth fairy here.

Then she asked me, "Trash or recycle?" :lol:

Photos are a requirement? :svengo: I need to go hide my mom card so no one takes it away.

• Like 3

Photos are a requirement? :svengo: I need to go hide my mom card so no one takes it away.

They're only a requirement in our family because I have taken a picture of every.single.tooth.*

I really try to make sure I have pictures of the younger dc just like I do of the older ones.

*except for the tooth that got swallowed and we never saw again

• Like 5