Menu

Ignore this thread!

I can relate. I could eat the same half a dozen meals every week for years, but everybody else is pickier than that and you can't exactly force the kids to clean their plates when daddy won't.

They will if they're hungry enough...

I just cook what I think is pretty good and works. No one has any say and if they complain they are in serious danger of receiving the Laser Glare of Certain Impending Death. You don't have to like it. You don't even have to eat it. But it's what is there and it won't kill you. If you are hungry, eat.

(And if you are over the age of 12 and have the audacity to complain, then you are in charge of meals for a week. You have $150 to feed 8 people, including special issues like packed lunches and gluten/dairy free options. Good luck.)

• Like 8

I just cook what I think is pretty good and works. No one has any say and if they complain they are in serious danger of receiving the Laser Glare of Certain Impending Death. You don't have to like it. You don't even have to eat it. But it's what is there and it won't kill you. If you are hungry, eat.

(And if you are over the age of 12 and have the audacity to complain, then you are in charge of meals for a week. You have $150 to feed 8 people, including special issues like packed lunches and gluten/dairy free options. Good luck.)

This is pretty much what I've come to. Except I just expect those who can to cook their own food if they complain, as long as they don't touch any ingredients I have planned for other meals. I give up. I'll cook for myself and Gymnast. Dancer can starve, or cook. Dh is rude enough he'll just eat cereal when there is a meal ready and he either decides he doesn't like it, or he's just mad at me that day. He'll cook his own meals, though, so I don't really care.

• Like 2

We are back from the Big City Hospital Lung Doctor. They tested dd10 on her breathing/lung capacity (like for asthma) and it was perfect (which is what I expected). Then the doctor said that since dd has never had her healthy lungs xrayed, she'd like to do that to compare and later set her up for a CT scan. The pneumonia only effects one corner of her left lung, so it may be that her lung never developed properly in the first place but never gave her problems until now. We'll see.

After the appointment and xray we visited the giant fish in the children's hospital garden and then went across the street to peek in on dd14's orchestra festival rehearsal and then we came home and had sweet potatoes and apples for lunch.

I'm ready for a nap.

• Like 7

So, I've given notice to the school district that I will not be returning full-time (my part-time position was cut, along with others), but will substitute teach this upcoming year.  :svengo:

Did I mention this is slightly terrifying?

• Like 6

I am so sick of trying to figure out what to feed my family. My husband doesn't like casseroles or one-pot dinners. He does like fish (which I hate) and spicy things (which the boys won't eat). Weapon X doesn't like anything with a sauce on it, and both boys prefer to eat with their fingers rather than a fork. Nobody will eat pasta (which is my favorite). And lately, I couldn't care less about cooking. Nobody will like it anyway.

I need to find an awesome meal plan that is easy and delicious and feeds everyone.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Meals are relentless.  Sometimes I cook; a lot of times I don't.  (But my kids are older.)  Sometimes we're grabbing fast food before or after an activity.  It's rare that I cook something that every.single.person likes.  Anyone who doesn't like what I cook is free to fix themselves something else.  (But my kids are older.)  Thankfully my dh is not as picky as the kids.  He's not a big vegetable eater, but he never/rarely complains.  I have no really good solutions - but maybe try to mix the things they like and the things they don't during the week.  Monday - fish, Tuesday - kid friendly (grilled chicken?), Wednesday - crock pot (will the boys scrape off the sauce?), Thursday - Mexican with dh's spicy sauce on the side, Friday - pasta you like with baked chicken tender option for the boys.

Most of all, I can offer hugs.  I hate it too!   :grouphug:  

• Like 2

I think the hardest part was realizing so much of my messedupness was genetic stuff that I can't shelter them from.

I am not convinced such genetic differences are "messed up".  Life depends upon change and adaptation.  I suspect that many of what people see as "problems" are simply differences that offer other adaptabilities.  Yes, we might need to work a little harder to get along in the general societal pool, but that's because we bring something new society isn't accustomed to yet.

• Like 2

I can relate. I could eat the same half a dozen meals every week for years, but everybody else is pickier than that and you can't exactly force the kids to clean their plates when daddy won't.

DH was known to sit at the table for HOURS refusing to eat some vegetable when his mother insisted he couldn't get up until he did.

You can withhold dessert or other treats, however.

I am so sick of trying to figure out what to feed my family. My husband doesn't like casseroles or one-pot dinners. He does like fish (which I hate) and spicy things (which the boys won't eat). Weapon X doesn't like anything with a sauce on it, and both boys prefer to eat with their fingers rather than a fork. Nobody will eat pasta (which is my favorite). And lately, I couldn't care less about cooking. Nobody will like it anyway.

I need to find an awesome meal plan that is easy and delicious and feeds everyone.

I make what I make and if you don't like it you can starve. If you're going to complain about being hungry but not eat then you can go to your room until you decided complaining is not worth it. I am a very pleasant person who tries to get along with almost everyone but I'm not playing that game. I am not making multiple meals, I am not throwing food away and you can shut up and get over it. The only exception is that I don't make anyone eat something they truly despise. John has a texture issue with mushrooms, Mary is quite sensitive to spices, but they both eat their broccoli without complaint.
  • Like 1

That's not funny.  :toetap05:

Says the mom with the daughter who, after 6 years of living, decided it was a good idea to write and draw on the bedroom walls. In marker.  :svengo:

I'm not 100% sure if the stuff I could REALLY not get off the walls at all with the magic eraser was various colored ballpoint pens, but I think it was. The other media varied in ease of removal, but what I believe to be ballpoint was the worst. 

• Like 1

My headache is gone and I'm watching Food Network a couple of tabs over.  :)

I am trying to not take a nap so that I will sleep better tonight.  Of course, I didn't take a nap yesterday and finally fell asleep around 4 a.m.   :glare:

• Like 4

Lana--what about having a build your own sandwich night? With a pasta side for you, finger veggies for the boys and hot peppers for your DH (or hot sauce to dress whatever meat you are having for the sandwiches).

Nice idea!

You could also do Build Your Own Nachos, Build Your Own Loaded Potato, or Build Your Own Chef Salad.

• Like 6

Rice and beans every night until they understand that you are going to make what you want and they will eat it.

I have never done this, btw. It just sounds like something imaginary friends would post on the internet.

• Like 4

Nice idea!

You could also do Build Your Own Nachos, Build Your Own Loaded Potato, or Build Your Own Chef Salad.

We often do build your own loaded baked potatoes and build your own tacos. For some reason, my Hispanic DH doesn't think nachos are a meal. And he also doesn't approve of breakfast for dinner. He's become rather hard to please. Before we got married, it was "whatever you want is fine". Now there are all these rules and addendums before food constitutes a meal. And I suspect he just makes them up as he goes. Things that have always been okay (even liked) are all of a sudden the worst thing in the world. I am not, not have I ever been, a talented chef. I can't keep up with his mercurial diet plan. Especially since he doesn't tell me about the change until he's upset by it.

Wow! Trying to figure out a grocery list just became a major rant about DH. I'm sorry; I really didn't mean for that to happen.

• Like 1

We already knew that. 😛

She's never experienced The Laser Glare of Certain Impending Death.

I will admit, though, that when we were dealing with ds12's sensory issues a few years back, I did make sure there was at least *something* in each meal that he could eat.

Are we married to the same man? ;). Two days ago my dh told me a dish he said he liked 6 months ago makes him want to barf. 🙄

And this is the reason he's been cooking more. Or eating cereal. And I'm considered a pretty good cook.

• Like 1

Rice and beans every night until they understand that you are going to make what you want and they will eat it.

I have never done this, btw. It just sounds like something imaginary friends would post on the internet.

I have a friend who made her family eat soup every night for a month when they complained about having to eat soup one night.

• Like 5

Ok, I am back!!!!

I did have fun with my little VBS girls. I gave them a sucker for learning their verse. Then we discussed if we were lickers or chewers. Then we discussed our favorite candy. Three girls hated anything with peanut butter in it. I would die without a Butterfingers.

Lana - I am in a cooking funk, too. My problem is, however, that I need to be low carb and the rest of the family doesn't.

Susan - yay for the babysitting job.

Junie - glad the headache is gone.

AMJ - yay for antibiotics and I knew it was Bring Your Own Flamethrower, too. What else would it be? This is ITT, for the love of Pete.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

Nope. I'm often quoted as saying, "This isn't Burger King. You can't have it your way."

I always tell them I'm not a short order cook. And as for those people who say, "if you don't like what I made you can make yourself a pb&j sandwich instead...." I just have to laugh. You go to all the trouble to make something for dinner, and then the picky snowflake goes into the kitchen and makes something else (and likely doesn't clean up after themselves without being nagged) and then the rest of the kids want to know why they have to eat what you made because they don't particularly like it, either and they would rather have a quesadilla.....
  • Like 1

Our rule is that you have to accept the food, but you don't have to eat it.  The older kids can make an alternate (leftovers), but they have to earn that right by eating at least a sample of what I made.  If they're not willing to try it, then they don't get to make an alternate.

*exceptions are made for food allergies and braces :)

• Like 3

Got some quality writing time in today. Pizza crusts are in the oven. I asked DH if he preferred sausage or bacon on the breakfast pizza and he said bacon, and I'm not opposed, so we'll have bacon on it.

I don't know how I'd react if DH told me something I cooked made him want to barf. Well, mushrooms bother him. So I make the mushrooms when he's not around and then regale him with tales of how delicious my mushrooms were and he doesn't know what he's missing. :D  

• Like 7

We had a few bad dinner years. Dh would come home, see what was on the table and would go out to McDonalds. I wouldn't say anything. I just continued to cook my way. Dh too would keep changing what he ate. Dh is Filipino (which was conquered by Spain !). After awhile I told him that eating out was too expensive so he could get some frozen dinners of his choice. He took me up on that.

I try to take his tastes into account but often that is in the form of a side dish or a condiment that he likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4