Menu

Ignore this thread!

It's somebody's 1st birthday today. :crying:

No. Freakin. Way! How is that possible?!?

🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈

🎈🎈🎈 Happy Birthday, Alex!! 🎈🎈🎈

ðŸ­ðŸ­ðŸ­ðŸ­ðŸ­ðŸ­ðŸ­ðŸ­ðŸ­ðŸ­ðŸ­ðŸ­ðŸ­ðŸ­ðŸ­

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

ðŸ°ðŸ°ðŸ°ðŸ°ðŸ°ðŸ°ðŸ°ðŸ°ðŸ°ðŸ°ðŸ°ðŸ°ðŸ°ðŸ°ðŸ°

• Like 5

I was thinking about the Hallelujah chorus myself. I'd love to get to sleep a little earlier at night, only the boys get up, get something, go back to bed, get up, get something else...and by the time I finally can drop the alert mode it's eleven. And I'm a grouchy, grouchy pumpkin by eleven.

For various reasons I also don't usually get to sleep before 11, even when I head for bed at 9.  And my bladder has convinced my brain it's a good idea to wake up at 4:45 in the morning, 15 minutes before DH's alarm goes off.  I'm going to have to talk to DH about this -- he is a big contributor.  He often doesn't come to bed before 11 and instead stays in the room RIGHT BENEATH OURS running things or watching YouTube videos without his headphones on.  When he does come to bed earlier he watches more videos on his tablet until about 11 and then wants amorous attention.  I really don't feel amorous after listening to Ted talks and political diatribes, ya know?

A big element of the problem is timing.  When our loved ones have poor timing we get no rest!  Kids, go to bed and GO TO SLEEP!  DH, you have 30 minutes to finish what you are doing down here, or I will be determinedly attempting to sleep and will NOT take interruption well.

• Like 2

The good news is that Dd10 has an appointment with a pediatric pulmonologist tomorrow morning at 8:30 am. The bad news is that we just got a past due $1200 medical bill that I've never seen before. :ack2: I'm gonna go hide for a while.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

Driving on the bad highway :svengo:

Getting there to discover your credit card is still in the pool bag at home :svengo: :svengo:

Getting them to stop giving you the deadbeat client look by promising to call in the minute you get home with the CC info, only to go out to your car and hear the low gas ding :svengo: :svengo: :svengo:

Extra :svengo: because your card is still at home...

Quick estimate in your head to see if you can make it home. You can *hopefully* if you turn off the AC and don't hit traffic. Maybe. Car counts down miles left the whole way. 25...20...15...15...why is it still on 15?...10...5...

Pulling in ...0...to your driveway, hoping you can then make it to a gas station :svengo: :svengo: :svengo:

But no cavities! Yay.

I sure hope you made it back to a gas station!

• Like 1

I made cupcakes when I got home, just so you all know. And I turned mine into a strawberry, whipped cream, and chocolate cupcake sunday. Because dentist adventure :svengo:

Is this 1976? Did I get my Birthday Booyah? For reals? Go me!!! I totally deserve it. Because after all that, DS wanted his no-cavities toy prize and would not accept Target. I had to go to The Afsa! In 95 degree weather after driving home with no AC, he knew I was frazzled and talked me into The Afsa! :svengo:

I need another chocolate cupcake. If there are any left...

Hooray!!  Happy birthyear booya(h)!   :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 2

It's somebody's 1st birthday today. :crying:

Happy birthday!  

Down here there's a tradition of giving the newly 1-year-old his/her own cake and watching them demolish it.  This always stymied me -- you make two cakes for the kid's birthday, just so you can watch one go to waste?  Where I grew up they were given a slice, or maybe a cupcake!

Still, younger SIL was insistent when mine turned 1, so I compromised.  I made two cakes, but one was a lot smaller (a mini cake), and poured from the same batter batch as the other.  It was basically a large, flat-ish cupcake.  Each of my girls still managed to make a glorious mess for the pictures.

• Like 1

My allergies are awful today. My daily dose of claritin is not doing enough. But I have to go places and be awake so I can't take benadryl. I'm just going to have to deal with it.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Right there with you.  Stupid yellow jacket sting is making every bug bite I ever received start to itch again.  And I had a mammogram this morning, followed by grocery shopping, and I'm still slightly groggy from last night's Benadryl.

After I prep up some smorgasbord (some of it packable) I'm taking the Benadryl again, before I scratch my hand completely raw.  DH will have to drive DD to Aikido tonight (a long Aikido night, since she has started staying for the adults' class after the kids' class).

I growled an apology and demand for patience at everyone this morning.  Hopefully they realize that between this past weekend and all this itchiness I am NOT. cheerful and easy-going today, and it may take days to get it all to die down.

I had better get my blueberry picking AND some lake time this coming Saturday.  I'll be able to handle a lot more if I can just get my peace.

• Like 3

It's halfway through June and it's still so cold outside I'm wearing a longsleeved shirt. What.the.heck. It should be shorts and Ts weather. :(

I'll trade!  You come down here and do my stuff and I'll go up there and do your stuff!

The good news is that Dd10 has an appointment with a pediatric cardiologist tomorrow morning at 8:30 am. The bad news is that we just got a past due $1200 medical bill that I've never seen before. :ack2: I'm gonna go hide for a while.

:scared:

:grouphug:

Is it muggy? I cannot stand humidity.

Tbh, the worst part is just the wrongness of it. I actually like cool weather, but this is not what it's supposed to be right now. It's like having a turkey dinner on the fourth of July...just wrong!

Oh, yeah, it's muggy.  I can handle the heat, so long as it isn't as humid as the temp.

The good news is that Dd10 has an appointment with a pediatric cardiologist tomorrow morning at 8:30 am. The bad news is that we just got a past due $1200 medical bill that I've never seen before. :ack2: I'm gonna go hide for a while.

:grouphug:

I sure hope you made it back to a gas station!

I did.  Thankfully there is one 1.1 miles from my house.  I left DS at home in case I didn't make it and had to call in AAA.  Thankfully that did not happen.  I am guessing there is probably a small reserve that doesn't get included in the car's "miles left" estimate, because driving on ZERO miles shouldn't have happened if there was really 0 miles, you know? 

I seriously need some hidden cash in my car, me thinks.  :)

• Like 7

I love going into a hot car in the summer after being in air conditioning. I like to sit a few minutes without the a/c on and let the heat sink deeply into my skin and feel warm in my bones. Nobody else seems to like it so I only get to do it if I'm alone. My family thinks I'm nuts!

54 and 60 in June?? No fun at all.

• Like 5

Like educational theory on how to teach writing? Or curricula?

She asks as if she actually has a mental list of such books to choose from. Ahem.

Anything. I left it open intentionally. I'm going to have to teach writing in a few years and I don't write good. I have IEW's TWSS and I think John will thrive with that. I think...

I would do copywork and dictation for a while before starting W&R. Maybe you're already doing that, I think your 6yo is way ahead of mine. ;)

MWF - Copywork

Th - Spelling dictation

T - Spelling test

Extras - Daily phonogram review, poetry memorization, he reads like a fish

looks like Greek to me

Hahahaha. Ha.

• Like 3

I love going into a hot car in the summer after being in air conditioning. I like to sit a few minutes without the a/c on and let the heat sink deeply into my skin and feel warm in my bones. Nobody else seems to like it so I only get to do it if I'm alone. My family thinks I'm nuts!

This is me too, all my life.

Especially Sundays after church.... my warm introverted refuge!

• Like 4

People keep asking about our summer plans. They look confused when I say "physics and math".  :smilielol5:   Yup, we're not headed to Alaska, Hawaii, or even the Grand Canyon.

My plan is to do LOF Pre-Algebra 0 with Physics. But I'm currently behind on Decimals & Percents... something to do with sudden move. My wife wants to go to Nashville for the eclipse. I'm voting for Nashville, NY, which will only have a 75% eclipse but is pretty close to us. Move was expensive. Not sure I want to spend all that money to go to 100% eclipse Nashville (TN). Oh, and I think she wants to go camping. And is maybe wanting to combine those. And I'm thinking Nashville just *might* be hot and muggy in August... 

A big element of the problem is timing.  When our loved ones have poor timing we get no rest!  Kids, go to bed and GO TO SLEEP!  DH, you have 30 minutes to finish what you are doing down here, or I will be determinedly attempting to sleep and will NOT take interruption well.

Take the timing into your own hands and drag him to bed with you. He's welcome to get back up after and finish watching political diatribes or w/e. 

Yes. Also handy when you're looking at a house to rent and the person showing it will only hold it for you if you give them a money order for $700, and you can only take $500 out of the ATM in one day, and your spouse has conveniently forgotten their PIN and has only a few dollars in their wallet. My magic car cash + wallet cash + $500 ATM cash did the trick (which does remind me, I need to put money back into the car... I don't think I've done that yet... of course, I also try to keep the tank at least half full, so I've never run out of gas (I did have the car stall once just before an intersection when gas prices were $4/gallon, and the cop that showed up was amazed I had a full tank... I was just trying to get to Autozone for a new battery iirc, which was only like a block or two further). 

looks like Greek to me

I'm guessing she's trying to conjugate some verb... not a clue why though (not sure what verb either).

• Like 1

We went from frigid early spring temps to 94 degrees in about two days' time.  Which is not at all uncommon here, but still.  My kids are suffering from serious wardrobe fails and dd6 had to lose her shirt entirely at the farm because she'd put on long sleeves. (She had on overalls, which made it possible to go shirtless in the strawberry field, thankfully. Very Huck Finnish, but possible.)  

Also, someone failed to close the freezer door last night, so I've lost at least 8 meatball dinners (never mind ice cream and other goodies that won't survive).  

Ds9 is bored.  

And I finally shaved (because shorts).

That is all.  

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 4

Me, too!!!

I did.  Thankfully there is one 1.1 miles from my house.  I left DS at home in case I didn't make it and had to call in AAA.  Thankfully that did not happen.  I am guessing there is probably a small reserve that doesn't get included in the car's "miles left" estimate, because driving on ZERO miles shouldn't have happened if there was really 0 miles, you know? 

Well, it could be 0.9, 0.8, etc. It's less than a mile...  :001_rolleyes:  But, I do expect you to do better next time.  :toetap05:

Take the timing into your own hands and drag him to bed with you. He's welcome to get back up after and finish watching political diatribes or w/e. 

of course, I also try to keep the tank at least half full, so I've never run out of gas (I did have the car stall once just before an intersection when gas prices were $4/gallon, and the cop that showed up was amazed I had a full tank... I was just trying to get to Autozone for a new battery iirc, which was only like a block or two further). 

Re: bedtime :lol: :hurray:

Re: gas - I used to, as well, but my new car gets such good gas mileage and I really don't go many places.  There are like 3 gas stations on my short drive to work, and at least that many on the way to the pool, so I never really worry about gas.  But for some reason I diverted from my normal routine by putting my Cc in the beach bag.  I never do that!  So I did not remember to take it out.  :glare: :closedeyes:

• Like 1

It's 81 degrees in the house so I finally turned on the air conditioning. It's 90 outside, so not too bad. We have a huge tree out front that helps shade the house from the sun.

I need to report grades and attendance to the umbrella before I forget. (I did dd18's a while back so she could get her diploma.)

Refried bean tacos for dinner. I don't know if that's allowed, but we have no actual meat in the house other than a frozen 20lb turkey, and I'm not going to wrangle with that thing just for tacos. :D

More coffee!

• Like 2

Well, it could be 0.9, 0.8, etc. It's less than a mile...  :001_rolleyes:  But, I do expect you to do better next time.  :toetap05:

But the gas station was over a mile away, so technically I still should have run out. 

• Like 2

We liked the first three books of W&R to start with and then moved into WWS, which is not as fun but much better at essay type writing than W&R imo. I want to to Lost Tools of Writing for 7th and a poetry unit based on An Ode Less Traveled (warning very bawdy in bits, don't hand it over). After that I'm not sure if we'll go to WWS2 or what.

Really, though, reading lots of good books is what's done the most for giving dds the vocab and sense of style to write fairly well, and copywork has done as much or more for them as formal grammar, which is why I only spring for a cheap Seton workbook that they can do a page of in 5 minutes instead of the fancier grammar programs.

But the proof is in the pudding and my lil puddins are only half baked. ;)

I think I shared about 69 pages back that one of Dancer's 7th or 9th grade teachers told her that she knew Dancer either read a lot, or was read to a lot, because of how well she wrote. She only needed help in organization. Vocabulary, ideas, content, style, etc.,were all very good.

• Like 4

It's 81 degrees in the house so I finally turned on the air conditioning. It's 90 outside, so not too bad. We have a huge tree out front that helps shade the house from the sun.

I need to report grades and attendance to the umbrella before I forget. (I did dd18's a while back so she could get her diploma.)

Refried bean tacos for dinner. I don't know if that's allowed, but we have no actual meat in the house other than a frozen 20lb turkey, and I'm not going to wrangle with that thing just for tacos. :D

More coffee!

Break the taco shells in half (you got those hard things, right?) and call them tostadas. :D

• Like 3

The only thing I like about winter is not having to shave.  Yup.

It's a BOOYA/H for us lazy people!

Apparently, I have so little hair, I don't bother to shave. The other day, dh kept asking if I had hair on my legs or if I shave. I'm like, dude. We've been married for 18 years. How often have you seen my shave? Or felt my legs? I mean, really...

• Like 4