Menu

Ignore this thread!

ITT Awards will have to be held at a nearby island, because OURS is private.

The island the awards are held on will be known to the world as ITT Island because that is what we will tell them.  The world will be thrilled to think that they have a chance to come, however briefly, to OUR island.

We won't tell them that the actual ITT island is elsewhere entirely.  We will have doubles to portray us during the Awards at the public island so people can get their groupie fix.

• Like 2

***Educational Alert--Avert your eyes! Or put on sunglasses, or cue running around in circles and screaming.***

We'll do a four day week

I've set four break weeks (one in June, two in July and one in August)

Latin-continue with Second Form Latin (plan to get through pronouns) This should be more than enough grammar for the summer, right?

Math-CLE, just mow on through

Poetry-Finish up Grammar of Poetry and read through the poems listed in the appendix. I have to say, if you are looking for a poetry for boys program, this is it. My kids do not like poetry, but I make them do it, because rabid writer.

Literature-I wanted Shakespeare this year, but I'm going to do a single book study instead, and it's going to be something I like. We'll do The Hobbit. I've got the MP guides, and that book is one of my favorites, and I might even make honey cakes.

History-We always do Arkansas State History in summer term. I will probably insist of continuing to work on outlining chapters over the summer, and composing narrations from those outlines.

Science- I'm going to let the boys pick topics from the library, videos or books and let them study at will

Logic-We can hit this two to three times a week in the summer and get through Art of Argument.

Art-We should continue with drawing and painting this summer.

Whatcha think?

Looks good, but when do you get your writing time?  And don't forget the waterfalls!

• Like 1

A free-spirit!! That girl is going to go places in life!!

Going back to this - 

Before I got pregnant with her, I was watching Ramona and Beezus. I told my friend, "I hope my daughter is like Ramona." 

Be careful what you ask for. haha I most definitely got my Ramona. 

• Like 7

Okay, looks like it's my turn to get my lunch.  I laid out all of the leftovers and sent the family through to go eat stuff.  Time to see what's left....

If I don' want anything that's left I'll stir-fry up some more veggies.   :drool5:

• Like 2

We need more ditties (this one was on page 84, and there was one on page 85 as well, but it wasn't as good, and there were none on page 86):

Eighty-four pages of posts in the thread

Eighty-four pages of posts

You add one more

Then fall on the floor

Soon Eighty-five pages of posts in the thread!

However, on page 86, I did find Slache's wisdom tooth removal (well, the first part of it):

DENTAL ALERT

I'm having a tooth removed. It's a molar that has been fine since I was a kid, but is being removed to make way for a wisdom tooth. How long should I expect to be out of commission? I have to watch the kids by myself tomorrow. That's cool, right? Can I do cardio tomorrow? Say no.

Dental Warning
They could only get 1/2 of my tooth out. The root is exposed and I'm in so much pain. I won't have the money for an oral surgeon for months and I don't know what to do. I can't stop crying.

So, for the record, this is not how wisdom teeth removals should go, so I'm not sure how useful comparing this one is to the one you'll be facing in the nearby future. I agree with the advice someone gave about milkshakes (though any flavor will do) - just don't suck it through a straw - just drink it from the cup. I've had iirc 3 wisdom teeth and one regular molar removed, and I don't think I *needed* my wife home, though I think she was home because it was her day off or she was working from home so I didn't have to drag kids to dentist with me or w/e. So, anyway, ymmv. 

Because if y'all are going to argue about how to spell it, I'm just going to do it my own way, using Dutch phonics. Also, apparently I was too fast for the forum, because the first time I tried I got an error message:

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!
[#103128] 

The administrator has limited the number of new posts you can submit within a short time frame. Please wait 7 seconds before replying or posting a new topic.

Luckily, even after finding the right board and thread again, I still managed to be first. But man, that there rule is no fair.

• Like 8

Here are some things I recorded from yesterday's events we went to yesterday. She was able to get a bunch of mini lessons from different teachers, as well as play all different kinds of instruments. It was fun. She got lessons in recorder, guitar, banjo, ukulele, violin, drums, and piano. She also got to play a trumpet, clarinet, e-drums, mandolin, marimba, and maybe some other stuff I don't remember. She still wants to play violin.

Gymnast got a mini violin lesson at the music event, and she did her one note while the teacher did some impromptu music with it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o2MfNa6NLu8SC3cmWhxuNOFdXr4XXlWOtA/view?usp=sharing

Those rhythm classes I paid for are coming handy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hFrpivwwtMcbA3XoL3O54akNb7qXAMSfZw/view?usp=sharing

She got a banjo lesson. Weird, I thought I recorded the end, when she finally got the hang of it. Guess not: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15vsVkLygKieD5SNFWT1769ROgtmKe_TSpg/view?usp=sharing

Dancer taught Gymnast the song Raveled(here at home) and Gymnast decided to play it during her mini piano lesson. I mainly asked the teacher to make sure to show her how to hold her hands on the piano: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hZQP_SCeBe2Ep0LtBmBsV-UqDFB58ZXLNg/view?usp=sharing

The high school marimba band from the library event yesterday: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JatOi3eg_JdFCghdHaenH3Kd5BYKAsDx2w/view?usp=sharing

:wub: :wub: :wub:

(Wow - that school must have a whole lotta money devoted to marimbas - those are ex.pen.sive!)

• Like 1

Okay Slache, I hope this answers your question (page 87):

JoJosMom safe dental update. I'm going in for surgery today at 1:30(2 hours from now). They don't want money up front. Matt's staying home tomorrow and we have a friend coming in on Saturday. Matt's off until next Wednesday.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

Our church's "resident retired hand surgeon" suggested that we wait on taking dd10 for x-rays until tomorrow. Today we should soak her hand in warmish-hot water and have her gently move her fingers. If they are still very painful tomorrow, then we should take her in.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

Looks good, but when do you get your writing time?  And don't forget the waterfalls!

My plan is writing time from 3-5 every day. Waterfalls and rivers will be visited every Sunday that I can manage, and I have one day off per week, too.

• Like 4

Warning - semi-educational post coming up. 

Been talking to some friends in the school system and based on what they know of Riv and her kindergarten screening, they say that if she was tested by the school, she would more than likely not be able to receive special services. I figured that, so I've been reading more on dyslexia, since I think she has that or something comparable. (She's fitting a lot of the signs of dyslexia.) Anyway, in the great state of Missouri (lots of sarcasm), a law is in place to address dyslexia, but it does not go into effect until 2018. So, by law, they aren't even required to acknowledge/address it until then; even then, they aren't set up to handle the problem and, one of the girls I was talking to said "kids don't get dyslexia until around 2nd grade....uhh, negative, Red Rider. So, where I had little confidence with her going to PS, I now have virtually NONE. 

So, depending on what the diagnosis is on Wednesday, DH and I are having a LONG talk about Riv's education. 

:grouphug:

So glad you are informed of what's going on in the school system.  AND especially glad for her upcoming appointment!

• Like 3

If you can bicycle (in traffic), then I think you could learn to drive a car if you find a patient instructor, preferably one who's taught people with special needs to drive before. I spent a lot of time in an empty parking lot (several nights)... but eventually I got the hang of it, and after that in some post-partum bout of insanity I signed up for truck driving school, so I can even drive a big rig (it's amazing what colicky babies can inspire you to do). Of course, I don't care one whit whether you learn to drive or not, just that one night in a parking lot and one bad MIL does not an inability to learn to drive make. (I've got a bad MIL driving instructor story too, though I (miraculously) didn't hit anything).

I think I already passed your wisdom tooth thing... was it the one where they took it out, and then sewed it up, and then at some point you spit out part of a tooth and then it quit hurting? Or was that Renai? I think maybe that was Renai. But I think I did see a post from you where your toof was hurting, so maybe it's in the nearby future? Anyway, I'll try to remember to pay attention.

Keep reading, luuknaam.  Slash explains the driving thing in detail.

I cannot comprehend what is outside the walls of the car. I can drive no problem, I just can't not hit things outside the car.

This is the summary version.

• Like 1

***Educational Alert--Avert your eyes! Or put on sunglasses, or cue running around in circles and screaming.***

We'll do a four day week

I've set four break weeks (one in June, two in July and one in August)

Latin-continue with Second Form Latin (plan to get through pronouns) This should be more than enough grammar for the summer, right?

Math-CLE, just mow on through

Poetry-Finish up Grammar of Poetry and read through the poems listed in the appendix. I have to say, if you are looking for a poetry for boys program, this is it. My kids do not like poetry, but I make them do it, because rabid writer.

Literature-I wanted Shakespeare this year, but I'm going to do a single book study instead, and it's going to be something I like. We'll do The Hobbit. I've got the MP guides, and that book is one of my favorites, and I might even make honey cakes.

History-We always do Arkansas State History in summer term. I will probably insist of continuing to work on outlining chapters over the summer, and composing narrations from those outlines.

Science- I'm going to let the boys pick topics from the library, videos or books and let them study at will

Logic-We can hit this two to three times a week in the summer and get through Art of Argument.

Art-We should continue with drawing and painting this summer.

Whatcha think?

Looks good to me!

Morning. I had a hard time sleeping last night. I'm worried about Dd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our church's "resident retired hand surgeon" suggested that we wait on taking dd10 for x-rays until tomorrow. Today we should soak her hand in warmish-hot water and have her gently move her fingers. If they are still very painful tomorrow, then we should take her in.

Yay for good advice!  

I keep looking at the word and wondering why I don't know more beautiful words like this! It's like a raspberry truffle with just a touch of South American fiesta.

That's poetry!  

Heart issues. We're going to another cardiologist on Tuesday.

Glad you're going Tuesday!

My head has been on the verge all day, and I'm pretty sure it is wanting me to eat more leftover strawberry pretzel dessert. And leftover muffin. And coffee.

Definitely!  You should listen to your head!  

• Like 4

I'm impressed. My husband's bed was never made prior to us getting married. Of course, it's rarely made now, either, so there is that. lol

We no longer have cable. We just have Netflix and Hulu. I like both for various reasons.

If you have a Roku, you might consider Sling TV. A lot of people use that and seem happy with it.

I was actually referring to putting the sheets on the bed after they are washed. Surely you husband did that at least?

• Like 1

By the way, I am outta likes again.  (No surprise there.)  I like Luuknam's Boeja and everything else!

We survived graduation.  1 hour mass + 1 hour graduation ceremony + 30 minutes of waiting for it to start + 15 extra minutes somewhere = nearly 3 hours of sitting on bleacher seats with no back.  (13yo dd said this is why she's going to do highschool at home - no 3 hour graduations for her!  Gotta love a motivated student.   :lol: )

• Like 9

Warning ** cardiac post **

Normal people will walk up stairs and their bp will go up at least slightly because of the exertion. We did a test this morning on Dd who feels dizzy and out of breath whenever she goes up stairs. We took her bp at the bottom of the stairs. Then we took it again after she got to the top. Her bp had plummeted.

My head has been on the verge all day, and I'm pretty sure it is wanting me to eat more leftover strawberry pretzel dessert. And leftover muffin. And coffee.

I have never had strawberry pretzel dessert. I need to come visit. 

So glad you are informed of what's going on in the school system.  AND especially glad for her upcoming appointment!

Me too. It was an answer to my unprayed prayer. :) Talk about going before me and taking care of all the details! Otherwise, we'd be doing this testing in October or November!

I was actually referring to putting the sheets on the bed after they are washed. Surely you husband did that at least?

Oh, yeah, he at least did that. 

Normal people will walk up stairs and their bp will go up at least slightly because of the exertion. We did a test this morning on Dd who feels dizzy and out of breath whenever she goes up stairs. We took her bp at the bottom of the stairs. Then we took it again after she got to the top. Her bp had plummeted.

:sad:  :sad:

• Like 1

:sad:   I hope the next appointment provides some answers.

Praying for Events Planner.

• Like 3

Here are some things I recorded from yesterday's events we went to yesterday. She was able to get a bunch of mini lessons from different teachers, as well as play all different kinds of instruments. It was fun. She got lessons in recorder, guitar, banjo, ukulele, violin, drums, and piano. She also got to play a trumpet, clarinet, e-drums, mandolin, marimba, and maybe some other stuff I don't remember. She still wants to play violin.

Gymnast got a mini violin lesson at the music event, and she did her one note while the teacher did some impromptu music with it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o2MfNa6NLu8SC3cmWhxuNOFdXr4XXlWOtA/view?usp=sharing

Those rhythm classes I paid for are coming handy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hFrpivwwtMcbA3XoL3O54akNb7qXAMSfZw/view?usp=sharing

She got a banjo lesson. Weird, I thought I recorded the end, when she finally got the hang of it. Guess not: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15vsVkLygKieD5SNFWT1769ROgtmKe_TSpg/view?usp=sharing

Dancer taught Gymnast the song Raveled(here at home) and Gymnast decided to play it during her mini piano lesson. I mainly asked the teacher to make sure to show her how to hold her hands on the piano: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hZQP_SCeBe2Ep0LtBmBsV-UqDFB58ZXLNg/view?usp=sharing

The high school marimba band from the library event yesterday: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JatOi3eg_JdFCghdHaenH3Kd5BYKAsDx2w/view?usp=sharing

OMG she is so darned cute!!!

• Like 1

Thanks! Yeah, I wanted him for the kids. I'm amazingly stupid on the meds and don't want to not take them. They're 6, 4 and almost 1.

My current dentist believes a high dose of ibuprofen is more effective than opiates (though imnsho, opiates do work better at making you feel like you don't care about the pain). So, anyway, I've done the wisdom tooth removal thing at least once with only ibuprofen, and it was okay. So, spouse is only needed to babysit kids during actual appointment, because leaving them in the dentist's waiting room is not super great while getting wisdom tooth removed. I mean, at their current ages I could, but I'd probably be mighty annoyed at their chatter while driving home from the dentist. Spouse is nice to have the rest of the day as well, to fetch more milkshakes. But not technically *needed*, and certainly not needed the next day or w/e. Of course, ymmv. I'm also a bit of a stoic, so that when I was pregnant and 9cm dilated after 16 hours of labor (had been at 8-9cm for 12 hours or so) and I walked into the ER, the ER staff told me that there was no way that I was in labor. Luckily my midwife set them straight for me, and they determined that I was indeed 9cm dilated (duh). 

And a gazillion more if she makes a comprehensive list of ITT staff and their duties!

I'm not making any lists. I'm not a list-maker.

• Like 3

I didn't believe my husband when he told me this at first, but then more research showed me one reason why there is actually garlic oil on the market.

What would be a good brand of garlic oil (and a store to get it at), and why didn't anybody tell me about this when I complained about my ear hurting yesterday or the day before or whenever I complained about it? (and no, I'm not in the mood to DIY garlic oil atm - I think my wife's packed up most of the kitchen stuff anyway).

That does not sound good. :(

• Like 1

I have never had strawberry pretzel dessert. I need to come visit.

:

Yes you do! Please come and eat it up before I do! And bring your baby sweetness along!

(Dd18 or I will babysit while you do whatever you want.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

What would be a good brand of garlic oil (and a store to get it at), and why didn't anybody tell me about this when I complained about my ear hurting yesterday or the day before or whenever I complained about it? (and no, I'm not in the mood to DIY garlic oil atm - I think my wife's packed up most of the kitchen stuff anyway).

If you are putting it in your ear, I would hazard a guess that brand might not matter?

Edited because I can't iPhone well.

Edited by ikslo

:wub: :wub: :wub:

(Wow - that school must have a whole lotta money devoted to marimbas - those are ex.pen.sive!)

It's actually another public charter school. But, it seems to have a foundation that helps support financing activities. But, also, marimba is big here, so they may have an agreement with one of the marimba clubs/bands that help them out. In other words, I have no idea. :D

• Like 1