Menu

Ignore this thread!

I painted a water lily. Very pretty. It has a lovely yellow flower (that's the kind we have here) and is half in/half out of sunshine. I plan to finish it this evening and apply this new wax that my artist friend gave me to try. It makes the painting waterproof. 

I'm having mashed potatoes for lunch, but the bowl isn't as big as my head.

• Like 7

On my list are:

De Calores (him reading, them singing)

La Sabiduría y la Familia Miller (for me to read out loud, Jean recommend it)

Poemas by Alma Flor Ada for memory work

Cuentos Populares del Mundo, by Usborne, probably a read aloud

Eta: http://www.whatdowedoallday.com/latin-american-folktales-for-kids/ ðŸ˜

Edited by Slache

Ooooh, Writing With Kris. I've heard of that one. Everyone I know using it has seen great improvement with their kids. It's the new trendy thing, but I think it will be around a long time! :001_tt1:

I heard her speak last summer at convention. She gave three seminars and I went to all three of them. It's a pretty basic, simple to use program, but I have found with my non-writers it is excellent because she focuses on the paragraph. Just one paragraph. And doesn't beat it to death with a bunch of re-writes. I was working with oldest DD today on her paragraph about the kittens and all of the sudden I realized that she had a topic sentence that made sense and she could do the whole main topic and supporting details without me feeling like I was pulling teeth.
  • Like 1

I've never heard of that.

Look her up in Facebook, if you do FB. She's got videos and you can purchase her handbook. I have the handbook and it has a couple of templates we use regularly. She also has videos on FB. I have to say, seeing her in person and going to her seminars really made the handbook make more sense. I haven't seen her videos. I usually don't get too excited about curriculum, but I really do like this one because it's pretty relaxed and easy to implement, especially for kids who really don't like to write all that much and who needed serious help crafting sentences. Unlike IEW or some others, it's pretty bare bones, but if used consistently, I am testimony to the fact that it will greatly improve a child's writing. And it's cheap. I think her handbook is $12 and that's all you need.

I painted a water lily. Very pretty. It has a lovely yellow flower (that's the kind we have here) and is half in/half out of sunshine. I plan to finish it this evening and apply this new wax that my artist friend gave me to try. It makes the painting waterproof.

I'm having mashed potatoes for lunch, but the bowl isn't as big as my head.

I want to see it. Can you post a photo of it??
  • Like 3

I am starving. The kids get mini-pizzas and I get some low-carb carp.😡😩😩

What I really want is a donut. Thanks a lot Slashie!!

And this is an "Old Fashioned Donut with a cup of cold milk Booya/h"!!

Sorry I have no song. But I do have bananas.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

Ooooh, Writing With Kris. I've heard of that one. Everyone I know using it has seen great improvement with their kids. It's the new trendy thing, but I think it will be around a long time! :001_tt1:

Lol. I thought writing with Kris meant writing with you which I was totally endorsing. I didn't know it was a "real" program. 😂😂😂

• Like 12

Lol. I thought writing with Kris meant writing with you which I was totally endorsing. I didn't know it was a "real" program. 😂😂😂

You are too funny!! And here I was thinking, wow, this lady's program has really taken off. People all over the place know about here.
  • Like 3

Renai, I was going to have John work through Winny de Puh next year but I think we should wait. Any suggestions for something simpler?

For read-alouds I really like Brambly Hedge books.

And I'm so glad you are okay.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Look her up in Facebook, if you do FB. She's got videos and you can purchase her handbook. I have the handbook and it has a couple of templates we use regularly. She also has videos on FB. I have to say, seeing her in person and going to her seminars really made the handbook make more sense. I haven't seen her videos. I usually don't get too excited about curriculum, but I really do like this one because it's pretty relaxed and easy to implement, especially for kids who really don't like to write all that much and who needed serious help crafting sentences. Unlike IEW or some others, it's pretty bare bones, but if used consistently, I am testimony to the fact that it will greatly improve a child's writing. And it's cheap. I think her handbook is $12 and that's all you need.

Do you have a link to her book, or even her last name?  I found the writing with kris website, and can't find any mention of her handbook or how to buy it, and I can't find her last name to try googling that.

I think that should do it for my routine pre-recital "WE HAVE TO LEAVE IN 30 minutes WHERE THE %+€£ is your rock stop/shoe/bow!!" tirade. Stay tuned for tomorrow's pre-choir-tour episode; scheduled to air at 5:30am.

I couldn't remember if you or someone here already posted this guy, or if I stumbled upon it through other means.  So here it is, maybe again!

• Like 1

I have often felt that I needed to make some pre-recorded messages and wire my house for sound.  I could play message 141: "Put away your shoes!", #276 "Empty the dishwasher!" and #2 "Stop yelling!"

Have you seen Sing, with Rosita?  I tried to find the scene I have in mind on YouTube, but I couldn't.

If you haven't seen the movie you should.  I think you'd totally get Rosita.

• Like 1

I don't do FB.

Do you have a link to her book, or even her last name? I found the writing with kris website, and can't find any mention of her handbook or how to buy it, and I can't find her last name to try googling that.

her name is Kris Cordell and you do have to e-mail her directly if you want to purchase her book. I bought it at her booth at Convention last year.

her name is Kris Cordell and you do have to e-mail her directly if you want to purchase her book. I bought it at her booth at Convention last year.

Okay, thanks.  I might wait a bit then.  I like to peek at things before I buy them.

• Like 2

Okay, thanks. I might wait a bit then. I like to peek at things before I buy them.

It's really a pretty basic program. Make an idea web with 4 main points and 2 supporting details under each main point. Then, convert that to an outline, using only single words or phrases, then take the outline and make each word into a sentence. Then, write a rough draft, edit, final draft. It's nothing new, but I think what struck me was the simplicity of the whole thing. And how she stressed writing pieces that are just one paragraph long. Even high schoolers if they don't have good writing skills. And she stressed not perfecting one piece, but working on skills over time through writing many 1 paragraph pieces. My kids did BJU last year for English, and I bought it specifically because it had all these nifty writing process things and templates and things and it was a disaster because my kids didn't know how to write and they ended up having to write these long 1-2 page pieces and it was a nightmare for me to edit. And then they had to re-write and proofread and all this stuff and my kids were sick of the whole thing. And with the editing, we're not talking a few misspelled words and punctuation problems. We're talking complete structural integrity of the sentence. And what do you do with that? So, I think what this program did for me was pare the process of teaching writing down to a few sentences and teach the kids to do it right and then expand to multi-paragraph pieces. Which we haven't gotten there yet, but compared to where we were.... Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

I suspect it's amnesia. For the early childhood, people remember that time and want to make it better for others. For high school, that's a tough time with career planning and all, and people remember it vividly because they wrote it all down. But middle grades must be survival time. Nobody writes stuff down and nobody wants to remember it. :laugh:

Personally, I'm finding it kind of fun. For now. With a generous side of obnoxious sauce.

Good morning. I apologize for stealing sleep last night. In my defense, I didn't know I was doing it. I slept like the dead from ten to almost eight this morning. Don't remember a thing.

I slept well, too. Should I feel bad?

For middle school, Dancer did K12 for 6th, charter school for 7th, and skipped 8th. I've tutored middle school, though, but that's about it.

• Like 1

I heard her speak last summer at convention. She gave three seminars and I went to all three of them. It's a pretty basic, simple to use program, but I have found with my non-writers it is excellent because she focuses on the paragraph. Just one paragraph. And doesn't beat it to death with a bunch of re-writes. I was working with oldest DD today on her paragraph about the kittens and all of the sudden I realized that she had a topic sentence that made sense and she could do the whole main topic and supporting details without me feeling like I was pulling teeth.

Wait, this a real program? I thought this was your way of saying you were teaching writing your way!

• Like 3

It gets even better.

Piano teacher had to cancel, so I've declared it Latin DVD Time and am taking a nap.  (4 hours of sleep is apparently not enough for me.)

'Twould appear that my exhaustion is from yesterday's tetanus booster, since I'm now all over achy and have chills.  Blech.  Tomorrow is the PG sleepover at the church.  Hope it wears off by then!

• Like 2

But that was about 1000 pages ago! She stopped keeping up only 200 pages ago...

Hmmm.... I've been repeatedly truant in the last 12 months.  So perhaps I missed it then?

Also, #wifefail.   Because I misplaced the shed key a week and half ago and now dh needs it because his bike broke down.  (His bike is how he gets to work).  He had to walk it 6 miles home tonight, so he's not exactly in a great mood to begin with.

I suppose I ought to go search for it.  Again.  Even though I know it won't turn up until it wants to, just like everything else we lose around here. 

• Like 3

Maybe, but I don't know much about non native readers. Actually, I know nothing. Sorry.

Oh, I wasn't asking. Ill find some. I'm sure there are 100s for Spanish learners.

Men should not make jokes about pregnancy and especially L&D. EVER!

:seeya:
  • Like 2

Apparently, my sons have been studying civil engineering over the holiday. My low water crossing is all but flooded because they built a working dam across the creek. We will have to talk about floodgates to regulate their "lake".

ETA: They took a section out so the lake got drained.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 8