Menu

Ignore this thread!

We stick to the public school schedule, so I'm sure all you finishing started early. We start after Labor Day which gives us a nice August, but a miserable May and June with Spring Fever. Before we moved, I'd be wrapping things up and calling it good enough around now. 

And then there's us, with no end in sight. At all.

• Like 2

This is me this year, too.  I know how you feel.  But I haven't bought anything, and have only planned half of it. I've been out of whack since February, though.

I think I am starting to recover - just in time for summer break.

Public schools end here on May 24, so I'll be ready to really get started with my girls on the 26th. [insert evil laugh] First week of June, Gymnast has a week of soccer camp. The last week in June, Dancer will go to a week-long residence at St. John's College, if she can raise the other portion of the money... Other than that, we're pushing forward to finish stuff.

• Like 3

I'm so jealous of you all finishing up school! The schools here don't get out until mid-June. And it's gloomy and cold outside in May instead of spring-like and warm. I want to go back to bed.

Hi, Paige!  Welcome here!

Not all of us are finishing up yet.  In our house we have had a number of disruptions and interruptions, so we have two main subjects we will be working on over the summer, with other snippets of stuff thrown in.

I hope it warms up for you soon!

• Like 1

My goals for summer break are to potty train ds and teach him to sleep in his own bed. 😒

I think we will be able to get Gymnast back in her own bed. She had started sleep walking again, and she'll walk right off the bed if not caught.  :svengo: She hasn't had an incident in a while (maybe a month or so), so I'll be putting her mattress on the floor next to mine.

• Like 1

We stick to the public school schedule, so I'm sure all you finishing started early. We start after Labor Day which gives us a nice August, but a miserable May and June with Spring Fever. Before we moved, I'd be wrapping things up and calling it good enough around now. 

Before the kids' cousins moved away we were following the local school schedule fairly tightly.  Their school schedules up where the cousins are still do affect our calendar because we see each other every other month or so, so I coordinate breaks when we can.  It doesn't help, though, that the two households of cousins up there have differing school schedules, right down to different weeks for spring break.

The corner store had coffee. I'm all good now.

We've finished our handwriting book and next week we come to a good break spot for math. We have about 2 weeks left for our prehistory stuff, which we may go through faster now that everything else is wrapping up. We'll probably still do a little phonics through our break. Weapon X has his first (karate) belt test on Tuesday. We're looking good for taking all of June off and starting back up in July.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 5

There may be a 10 yo still sleeping in my bed.  I'm not saying there is, just that there MAY be. :leaving:

He is potty trained, though. :hurray:

Dancer was in our bed for a while. She had her own bed, but she didn't necessarily sleep in it all time. By 8, she slept in her bed periodically, by 10 she was still in our room of the time, but on a mattress beside our bed. I got pregnant with Gymnast when Dancer was 10.5, and she was in her bed most of the time. When she was sick or lonely she'd come to our room even after Gymnast was born. Have you ever have a kid lay across your feet? That was her compromise for being big for our bed.  :laugh:

• Like 2

This year our public schools started the second week of August and end May 24th. I have occasionally started in July when it is hot and no one wants to do anything outside, but it depends on summer activities. This summer we have no activities so if I can get my act together we might start early again.

• Like 3

My goals for summer break are to potty train ds and teach him to sleep in his own bed. 😒

For just a moment I read this as regarding your DH, not your DS....

Call Shane!! He's the new ITT cowboy. He'll do it for you!!

Yeehaw!  Does he play git-tar and sing western songs, too?  I've been awantin' someone t' har-mee-nize with!

• Like 1

I'm going to have to give up coffee forever. It has been confirmed that even decaf is causing my blood pressure to rise to ridiculous proportions. Oh, well.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   So, hot cocoa in the winter (or hot cider!), and iced herbal teas in the summer?  Oooo, lemonade and limeade!!!!

• Like 1

Rooibos chai with stevia and a splash of cream is my go-to, Renai.

I might have to give that a try, too!

Are you finding and buying rooibos chai, or are you making your own from the rooibos?

Edited by AMJ

Hello 😄 I accidently liked that post, oops! Sorry for my stalking but this thread just makes my day. I don't even homeschool...yet. I'm 22 and still in university. I'm just researching and self educating (because my ps was abysmal) and researching. I have been since I was 16. You guys did that too, right? Please tell me I'm not weird 😂 Anyway...as you were.

Edited by Alittledeal
  • Like 12

Hello 😄 I accidently liked that post, oops! Sorry for my stalking but this thread just makes my day. I don't even homeschool...yet. I'm 22 and still in university. I'm just researching and self educating (because my ps was abysmal) and researching. I have been since I was 16. You guys did that too, right? Please tell me I'm not weird 😂 Anyway...as you where.

Sweetie, there was no internet when I was 16. :blink:   But you are very welcome here! blow.gif

• Like 9

It is a bit frustrating/disconcerting to see other people offering classes at poverty levels, and here I am trying to develop classes and price them according to what I think I'm worth. I don't think I should lower my prices though...should I?

• Like 1

I think underpricing labor has kept wages unfairly low for educators and many others. I'd encourage you to pay yourself fairly (but invite those struggling to afford it to contact you privately & explain their situation and work out a payment plan).

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 5

Hello 😄 I accidently liked that post, oops! Sorry for my stalking but this thread just makes my day. I don't even homeschool...yet. I'm 22 and still in university. I'm just researching and self educating (because my ps was abysmal) and researching. I have been since I was 16. You guys did that too, right? Please tell me I'm not weird 😂 Anyway...as you where.

Hey there! Welcome!

The #1 Rule of Ignore This Thread is that we don't ignore. Or you can ignore if you want; not trying to be bossy or anything. ;)

Also we feel very strongly about coffee. But if you don't like or drink coffee, we are happy to offer tea or water or wine. (or whisky if things get desperate.)

• Like 6

Hey there! Welcome!

The #1 Rule of Ignore This Thread is that we don't ignore. Or you can ignore if you want; not trying to be bossy or anything. ;)

Also we feel very strongly about coffee. But if you don't like or drink coffee, we are happy to offer tea or water or wine. (or whisky if things get desperate.)

Thank you!:)

I don't drink coffee but I will always take tea. I feel very strongly about tea myself.

• Like 5

Hello 😄 I accidently liked that post, oops! Sorry for my stalking but this thread just makes my day. I don't even homeschool...yet. I'm 22 and still in university. I'm just researching and self educating (because my ps was abysmal) and researching. I have been since I was 16. You guys did that too, right? Please tell me I'm not weird 😂 Anyway...as you were.

Hey ALD, glad you got sucked in....er...uh... decided to join in.
  • Like 6

Sweetie, there was no internet when I was 16. :blink: But you are very welcome here! blow.gif

when I was 16 Atari was big, our computer classes in school consisted of learning....something or other... on an Apple IIe... there were no cell phones and most people rented VCRs when they had parties and wanted to watch a movie.
  • Like 3

Welcome, ALD!  Or do you prefer being called Little? 

I'm still suffering from the tetanus shot so when dh announced to me at 7:45am that he had suddenly decided to take a sick day (for himself, ahem) and demolish a wall thirty minutes before the piano teacher was to arrive, I was still half asleep with a sore head and not exactly as receptive to the idea as he had hoped. :blink:

Ah well.  At least it's finally getting done.  I scrapped school for the day and will escape shortly (with the kids, so escape isn't exactly the right word) to get supplies for tonight's PG sleepover.  

The Talking Tom Cat toy from McDonald's (that is apparently shoved in the back of the kids' closet) is wailing with every pound of the hammer and every rip of the drywall, "My head is spinning! My head is spinning!"  

You and me both, dude.   :banghead:

• Like 7

You've come to the right place!  I went to my first homeschool conference before my oldest turned one.  Nothing like planning ahead.  And yes, listen to Spud, don't buy a decade ahead.  

Welcome!  

(P.S.  Slache will want you to have an avatar, lol.)

• Like 4

alittledeal, Welcome!

I made the decision to homeschool while I was still in college.  I took dh to a curriculum fair while we were still dating.  He wasn't on board with homeschooling at the time.  I wanted to make sure that he got on board because I was determined to homeschool.

• Like 4

And then there's us, with no end in sight. At all.

:grouphug:

ETA: it's a we're here for you BOOOYAH.

(I saw a commercial the other day that said boooyah has three "O"s. :LOL: And yes, they spelled with an H.)

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 5

It's one of those days!!

Warning, Educational Post Ahead;

We did get our spelling test done. And verse quiz. Bible is done (we're reading the bio of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Fridays we do 't do our regular Bible, we read bios from the Christian Heros: Then and Now Series). Now, the kids are all doing their math speed drills. Youngest DD is crying because she hates subtraction and oldest DD is yelling at her for crying.

DS just unclogged a toilet.

It's very windy outside. I hate wind. Kicks up all the dust and pollen.

And that concludes my report.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5