Menu

Ignore this thread!

I just realizes I have no idea how to teach. I think. I'm confused. Here's what I do, tell me if it's good.

We're using a workbook (Beginning Geography, Miquon etc.). I print the workbooks and put them in folders. We sit down for school, I pull one of each out and he does them. If he has a good reason for not wanting to do one it goes back and he can do it the next day. When the book is finished it gets marked in my log thingy. Is that good?

The books and readers just get rotated, but are also marked in my log thingy when completed.

That should do it.

It may get more complicated when you've got 3+ in the mix, but that is exactly the reason I log what we actually do instead of planning in advance what I hope to do. 

Color code their stuff starting now.  That will help a lot later.

• Like 1

We finished morning school around 2pm.  Which meant I needed an easy button and did a drive-thru lunch followed by a brief trip to the shore.  We finished afternoon school at 5:15, just in time for Dh to get home and take the whole crew for a walk so I could cook. They should be back around NOW (6:24), and 4 will need showers before we can clean up the forts and messes.  Then we still need to eat. And clean up from eating. And brush 100 little teeth (minus a few missing ones).  Ugh. 

It's a full day (for me, not kids).  

Suggestions?  That don't involve duct tape?

I DO have one bright hope... CBS (Bible school) ends in 2 weeks, relieving us of some of our afternoon school work.  

ETA:  Just realized Dh and I need to put badges on 9 PG sashes tonight.  And I still need to do all MY Bible school homework in time for class tomorrow.   :svengo:

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 3

That should do it.

It may get more complicated when you've got 3+ in the mix, but that is exactly the reason I log what we actually do instead of planning in advance what I hope to do. 

Brilliant! I even get to make a spreadsheet! And yes, they're already color-coded.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxaHcmAeF2RQMXpJTDBIeHhaYlE/view?usp=sharing

OK, I am trying this.

Yay! It works. That's me in my backyard with Coop the Kitten!  And you can see Cleo's little head poking in there from the side.

I tawt I taw a puddycat!

And you weren't sad. We're even. :D

I am sad! Don't you try to tell me how to feel!
  • Like 5

That's our Jeannie!  Celebrating Teacher Day by helping another adult continue her education!

It's not working. . .    She's communicating with me but in a "what are you talking about - I could never be wrong" sort of way.  I'm listening and answering but only because I feel strongly that she should get the same respect that she doesn't give to others.  (That made sense in my head.) 

• Like 8

We finished morning school around 2pm.  Which meant I needed an easy button and did a drive-thru lunch followed by a brief trip to the shore.  We finished afternoon school at 5:15, just in time for Dh to get home and take the whole crew for a walk so I could cook. They should be back around NOW (6:24), and 4 will need showers before we can clean up the forts and messes.  Then we still need to eat. And clean up from eating. And brush 100 little teeth (minus a few missing ones).  Ugh. 

It's a full day (for me, not kids).  

Suggestions?  That don't involve duct tape?

I DO have one bright hope... CBS (Bible school) ends in 2 weeks, relieving us of some of our afternoon school work.  

ETA:  Just realized Dh and I need to put badges on 9 PG sashes tonight.  And I still need to do all MY Bible school homework in time for class tomorrow.   :svengo:

When duct tape just won't do DH here recommends parachute cord.  Yup yup!

• Like 1

We have some bigger books including The Children's Treasury of Virtues, Where The Sidewalk Ends, and Explorer's Bible Study and my super duper scientific tracking method involves moving a postit from page to page.

We use bookmarks.

I have lesson plans because that's my personality. I tend to get distracted or overwhelmed or just plain lazy without a plan. Plans keep me focused. I also have no issues with postponing or cancelling my plans if something better comes along (or we just don't want to.)  I like to think of my plans as more of a compass than a road map. It keeps us heading in the proper direction even if we get off the path.

• Like 7

We use bookmarks.

Bookmarks fall out when books are carried off.

Never heard of it, but it looks like something I would love!

Yeah! I think we're getting it. The free shipping thing is until after payday.

Slashie, I didn't personally find planning ahead useful til fourth grade. But I am a good deal more relaxed k-3 than most on this board. Didn't even post in the "how long is your first grader's day thread" bc it felt a lil embarassing.👀

I didn't like that thread. I would call our school short but rigorous. I think it's just his personality.
  • Like 2

Whoa, there's GRASS!

I mean, awww, cute kitties!!! :D

Yeah, we have grass. DH insisted that we were not going to get artificial turf because of the drought. And with all the rain we got this winter, the grass is doing wonderfully!
  • Like 4

Slashie, I didn't personally find planning ahead useful til fourth grade. But I am a good deal more relaxed k-3 than most on this board. Didn't even post in the "how long is your first grader's day thread" bc it felt a lil embarassing.👀

Same here.  My first grader's day averages about 30 minutes.  We do year-round school, though.   :D

Edited by Junie
  • Like 4

Krissi, at first I read that you were in your backyard coop with the kitten, and I was wondering why you would 1. Sit in a chicken coop, and 2. Put an adorable baby kitteh in a coop. Thank goodness I am just tired.

The kids' orchestra concert went well. We are all pooped. Ds12 made it through the whole day without getting sick.

Aldi has eggs on sale for .49/dozen and fresh strawberries for $1.49/lb. I wasn't planning to go shopping until the weekend, but I might have to stop by tomorrow after the dentist for at least those.

Goodnight!

• Like 8

Do you think joining Costco so I could stock up on a bunch of convenience food would make my life easier or just make me fatter? Dh's boss is wanting even MORE overtime. My blood pressure was 137 over something Monday, and usually it's low, like 110 over whatever.

Also, someone introduced me to their frozen Brazi bites and Aunt Flo would really like some cheesy carbs. But so would the leprechaun who lives in my hips and thinks he needs to save every possible calorie that comes his way bc the next potato famine could happen any minute.

Yes. I'm also a big advocate of once a month cooking if you'd like to discuss it.

That should do it.

Is this el fabulous?

• Like 3

First cup of coffee........finally.  at 10:15am.  Life is so much nicer if I can beat the kids and dh to the morning. Lynn needs to give me a wake-up call every day.  

Apparently I use Critter's version of Writing with Ease for my curriculum.  Which is a relief because I can now state that in ds9s portfolio.  Woo-Hoo!  I just need a title for your curriculum, Critter.  

CritterEase

Writing with Critter

Critter's Writing Fixer-Upper

• Like 6

Krissi, at first I read that you were in your backyard coop with the kitten, and I was wondering why you would 1. Sit in a chicken coop, and 2. Put an adorable baby kitteh in a coop. Thank goodness I am just tired.

The kids' orchestra concert went well. We are all pooped. Ds12 made it through the whole day without getting sick.

Aldi has eggs on sale for .49/dozen and fresh strawberries for $1.49/lb. I wasn't planning to go shopping until the weekend, but I might have to stop by tomorrow after the dentist for at least those.

Goodnight!

I would love to have a chicken coop. Alas, I don't. Just a kitten named Coop. Well, Cooper. Coop for short. I think they are flea-less now. They had 2 baths in dish soap. Didn't like them one bit. Poor babies. But now they are very clean. And sleeping on top of each other in a little pen in the garage. Last time I saw the litter all 7 of them were sleeping on a pile.

I love strawberries. I buy a lot of them this time of year.

And this is a pile of sleeping kittens Booya/h. ðŸˆðŸˆðŸˆ

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 8

3/6 of my family members have thrown up today.  Current bets are on food poisoning from a nearby amusement park. May that hold true--all of us who ordered chicken have not been ill yet.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

DD15 was up in the night throwing up -- she woke me up, and I got her some pepto and set her up with towels and a bucket (emptied trash can) in case she had more.  I checked on her again this morning and talked with her, and she wants to think it's something she ate yesterday.  The only thing she ate that none of the rest of us ate was crackers, so I doubt that's it.  She didn't throw up again, but her stomach hurts and she's still quite queasy.

We are supposed to have a very long art day today, since illness in the art teacher's house caused the cancellation of last week's art classes.  Right now the only thing I can think of is she might have caught a bug when we were out and about on Monday(or she caught a computer virus from keyboarding and not washing her hands).  Which means contagious.  Which means don't go to art classes.  Which means the kids won't be able to make a ceramics piece for Grandma in time for a belated Mother's Day.   :svengo:

The ITT bug has crossed over into the female population.   :sad:

• Like 4

Do you think joining Costco so I could stock up on a bunch of convenience food would make my life easier or just make me fatter? Dh's boss is wanting even MORE overtime. My blood pressure was 137 over something Monday, and usually it's low, like 110 over whatever.

Also, someone introduced me to their frozen Brazi bites and Aunt Flo would really like some cheesy carbs. But so would the leprechaun who lives in my hips and thinks he needs to save every possible calorie that comes his way bc the next potato famine could happen any minute.

Buy convenience foods for your kids to eat, but that you do not like. Win-win.

• Like 2

Thankfully I haven't had that problem. I have had postits stick to places other than where they should. I dislike postits. A lot. 

:tongue_smilie:

Post-Its should not be left in books long-term -- the adhesive discolors the pages over time.

We use sticky tabs for bookmarks because they are hard to lose.  When books intending to be kept go back on the shelf all sticky things get removed, and since I'm often the one removing them I'm inspecting pages for sticky residue.

What really bugs me are people who fold down page corners on books that aren't theirs, or books they intend to go to someone else at some point.  I have lightened up regarding paperback novels and magazines, but not on much else.

Just about the time I let go of my irritation over people's odd ways of refolding maps navigation GPS units became common in vehicles.  I worked hard to overcome that and just when I accomplished it it doesn't matter anymore!

• Like 3

CritterEase

Writing with Critter

Critter's Writing Fixer-Upper

I like Writing With Critter (WWC).  Critter's Writing Fixer-Upper sounds too much like IEW's Fix-It grammar, which my girls and I both found very aggravating.  Critter's is much cooler, effective, and fun!

• Like 3

Timelines I can do. Maps? Not so much. And I've been told I simply must have maps for my book. Sigh.

Collaborate with a cartographer.

Hey!  Maybe you can even invent your own cartographic coordinate system!  That would be SO COOL!!!!

#minorlymapgeeky

• Like 3

Yikes, that is a very specific skill set to ask of you! Are they going to let an illustrator pretty it up later? 

I agree. I am a writer, not a cartographer! I'll admit to having drawn a few of my characters and done a layout of the interior and exterior of some of the spaces in my story, just so nobody is walking into a wall or a rosebush unless I want them to, but that's about it.

• Like 1

Hey!  Maybe you can even invent your own cartographic coordinate system!  That would be SO COOL!!!!

I once got lost in the woods in my own backyard. My sense of direction is somewhat...challenged. I can seriously go east when I think I'm going west.

• Like 2

Critter, I thought you had a map so you know where everything is? It wouldn't be too hard to have someone schmancy it up, would it?

Potato, I'll post my once a month cooking thing when I have my computer open. It's much simpler than what most people do. Is hubby's OT immediately or in the future? I wouldn't do it if it's immediately.

• Like 3