Menu

Ignore this thread!

We're getting kittens tomorrow. Oldest DD is about to have an anyerusm she's so excited. They have fleas, though. Internet says bath and flea comb for kittens. Any other advice? And as for names, I'm leaning toward Midge and Molly. I really like how they sound together. I will try to post a picture, but don't nobody hold your breath.

• Like 5

Junie, I don't know how it is as a curriculum, but the One Year Adventure Novel gives a licensed user access to their forums where kids can share writing and a summer camp (in Kansas - so not really conveniently located for you, lol), and maybe occasional writing contests.  They also have two other programs - Cover Story (covers different kinds of writing through writing a magazine) - which sounds fun and new this summer Byline, (approaching writing as a "historical journalist") which also sounds like fun.  

• Like 2

I watched a few episodes of Doctor Who once and for the life of me could not figure out what all the fuss is about. I will binge watch shows I like. It did not qualify.

There. I said it.

I watched some a couple years ago.  I liked it when David Tennant was the Doctor, and Matt Smith was okay.  I watched the first episode of the new Doctor (was that two years ago? I can't remember) and never watched anymore.  I think the older kids stayed up with it.  

• Like 2

I just had a fantastic protein salad for dinner. The protein was actually a vegetarian legume and and the salad was from a south american plant utilized around the world for a variety of exquisite dishes.

So what were these scrumptious plants?

Good morning!

Dd14 is getting Critter's version of writing education because I cannot teach writing to save my life. I sometimes buy her books on writing that she frequently re-reads. Her backpack purse is mostly stuffed with books and she has notebooks crammed full of novels written in miniscule, illegible pencil writing. And her characters fight with her, so I know something must be going right. :D

:hurray: I can do today! GOOooooooOOOO ME! :hurray:

:ack2:

Dawn? Where are you?

Coffee!

• Like 7

We're having fajitas for dinner. If I have them with out the tortilla, and just load up on the sautéed colored bells, onions, guacamole and salsa.... it's pretty good and no naughty carbs.

STILL out of likes!

We had fajitas for supper, too.  Store-bought fajita chicken meat so I didn't have to think about chicken prep.  I ended up itchy a couple of hours later, though, so I wonder if something in that chicken set me off.  I will probably have DH and the kids finish off the leftover chicken meat if none of them reacted.

I really CRAVED those carmelized onions and peppers, though!  I have a smaller piece of salmon in the freezer -- maybe I can cook that up and we can have fajitas again later in the week.  Mine can be salmon instead of the chicken.  

• Like 4

Well, I just got off FB and had a a whole bunch of snarky replies at my fingertips, but I restrained. So, I had to come here and tell you all about it, so you can tell me what a good girl I was and how much self-control I have.😜

Hurray for you!  Good job!   :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 2

I'm hangry. Dh has fled to the basement. Smart man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I got the hutters (hunger jitters) last night as I was cooking dinner.  I declared supper ready and asked DH to cut up the chicken since I didn't want to handle sharp implements, and he discovered the chicken wasn't quite done.  He finished cooking the chicken for me and started slicing as soon as one piece was ready, and I was the first one through (for a change) putting my fajita together.  By the time the family were all through getting their firsts I was ready for my second.

Pan clean-up, of course, waited until this morning.  By the time the hutters abated I was tired and itchy.

I just need to plan a little further ahead and season my own chicken next time.  And have DH cook it on the grill.  

• Like 2

I'm also outta likes. I like you all. I especially like that Slachey promises not to kiss us.

Dd10 has a small (1/4 inch?) cut right below her eyebrow. We gave it a butterfly bandage and a regular bandage with an eyebrow drawn on it and called it a night.

Ds12 is eating and drinking like gangbusters. Toast and bananas and applesauce. Yay for IV fluids!

Dd8 did well at her choir placement "audition". The directors are so wonderful with children. Dd is sad that choir is over until fall. At some point between leaving the house and getting back home, I seem to have pulled a muscle in my leg.

I am supposed to write a student bio for dd18's graduation ceremony program. I have no brain power left.

We had tomato bisque for dinner which was good. And then I snuck down to the pantry freezer and finished off the moose tracks ice cream. Then I ate 2 gummie bears and 3 gummy worms for good measure. Slache's salad sounds pretty good about right now. :D

A general overall  :hurray:  :hurray:  for how well you handled the lot.  And yay, IV fluids!

Fage

Yeah, that can be pretty dry stuff.  I like Siggi's (Icelandic, but still a strained yogurt so not really different) because of strawberry rhubarb flavor, and pumpkin.  Still a bit dry, but as you get accustomed to the dry (of any of these) more of the flavor starts coming through.

• Like 1

Slashie is beeyooteeful! Inside and out. That's why she's so good at building us up. Except when she called someone a twit.

Hi, Angi!   :seeya:

Some of the best writing instruction comes from turning them loose with a pencil and a pad of paper and staying the heck out of the way. Honestly. And reading. Reading a ton of stuff. And imagining whole conversations between the imaginary people in your head. Out loud. While people are looking at you like you might be just a little nuts. 

I work on the nuts and bolts with writing curriculum. But the real work happens at their desks in the morning when they are playing around with scenes, characters, conversations and figuring out how to deal with plot problems as they come up.

I have no clue what we would do with a sister. I wouldn't have a clue how to deal with a sweet little girl. I live with too much butt.

Huh, there's hope for me yet!  I've been doing that stuff all of my recalled life!  Only people didn't think I was a LITTLE nuts....

In my experience girls of that age can quickly learn (if they didn't know already) how to hold their own with the boys.  They often even manage to TOP the boys in all of the gross stuff....

• Like 3

That's how I'll eat it too. I've cut back decidedly on carbs. Which reminds me, during lunch today (we had all day training an hour away), we went to Chipotle's for the first time and had a carnitas bowl. It was good. 

ETA: Fajitas are not BOOYA.

Why not?

• Like 1

We're getting kittens tomorrow. Oldest DD is about to have an anyerusm she's so excited. They have fleas, though. Internet says bath and flea comb for kittens. Any other advice? And as for names, I'm leaning toward Midge and Molly. I really like how they sound together. I will try to post a picture, but don't nobody hold your breath.

My friend had two sister cats she named George and Millie.

• Like 2

I watched a few episodes of Doctor Who once and for the life of me could not figure out what all the fuss is about. I will binge watch shows I like. It did not qualify.

There. I said it.

Old Dr. Who or new Dr. Who?

The kids enjoy the old show when they get to see it.  I banned the new show when eldest cousin wasn't careful about episode selection and the girls (several years younger at the time) saw the angel statues and the kid with the gas mask.  They had nightmares.

I like old Dr. Who.  I like some of the new Dr. Who, but I don't have time to pre-watch it all to determine what the kids should or shouldn't see.

• Like 2

I watched some a couple years ago.  I liked it when David Tennant was the Doctor, and Matt Smith was okay.  I watched the first episode of the new Doctor (was that two years ago? I can't remember) and never watched anymore.  I think the older kids stayed up with it.  

Okay, just to clear up (a little) what someone might mean by a "new" Dr Who:

The actors portraying the Doctor change over time.  Every time one changes we get a "new" Doctor.

The show originated decades ago, running from 1963 to 1989, and then was revived in 2005 and is still running.  My mention of "old" and "new" refers to these.  

• Like 2

Okay, just to clear up (a little) what someone might mean by a "new" Dr Who:

The actors portraying the Doctor change over time.  Every time one changes we get a "new" Doctor.

The show originated decades ago, running from 1963 to 1989, and then was revived in 2005 and is still running.  My mention of "old" and "new" refers to these.  

I am aware of all of this.  None of the Dr Who shows piqued my interest.  I hated the old ones, so I gave the news ones a try.  And while I may on occasion watch one if someone else has it on, I will not choose it if I have free time to waste. 

• Like 1

I like Fage; the full-fat version (4%) is better than the low fat.

DD finally was allowed to watch Dr. Who and now we're both hooked.  Expect she can remember all the bazillion buried plot points/thread and I can't.

I am not teaching writing.  My approach is, "Figure it out your own self if you won't listen to me."

Not quite, but close.

Slash calls ME a butt.  I think I'd rather be a twit...

• Like 3

I am aware of all of this.  None of the Dr Who shows piqued my interest.  I hated the old ones, so I gave the news ones a try.  And while I may on occasion watch one if someone else has it on, I will not choose it if I have free time to waste. 

That works!

One thing that did get me was all of the screaming the companion was supposed to do in the early shows.  I've been watching Father Brown mysteries lately, and in that show one character's schtick is loud, dramatic screaming whenever she comes upon a body -- this is Lady Felicia.  (Puts me in mind of Madame Oliver, a mystery author, in Poirot saying she will have to write a lot less screaming after she finally discovers a body and didn't scream.)  I was getting a little tired of Lady Felicia's trademark scream until one episode I saw recently, involving actors.  As Lady Felicia takes a deep breath to let out her shriek she is literally upstaged by one of the "actresses" who steps right in front of her and beats her to the scream.  The look on Lady Felicia's face was priceless! as was this nod to the audience about this corny character trait.

• Like 1

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!! â˜•ï¸ â˜•ï¸ â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

I watched Dr. Who a while. The new episodes. I really liked the Christopher Eccleston/Billie Piper combination. I did like David Tenant, too. But, as creative and intriguing as the show is....it just didn't strike me as binge-worthy, either.

• Like 3

I know as a fantasy writer I should love Dr. Who. I don't think I've ever seen an episode, new or old. Unless it was by accident.

As for writing curriculum, I like anything that makes you love writing enough to be willing to tear your hair out from time to time. I tweak everything I touch, so it's hard for me to say I liked this or that. I will say that as I've looked over the WWS series I've been very, very impressed as a writer at just how thorough the first book has been on getting the writer to pay attention to this or that in writing. My complaint would be that it's overly detailed in getting that instruction laid out for the young writer. It could be very frustrating for a young writer to read and then be willing to play around with the ideas. 

The Creative Writer is pretty good.

I loved CW Homer for creative fiction, because retelling and reshaping stories is some of the most fun you can have with a pencil and a blank sheet of paper. Again, though, I picked the models I loved and the boys and I had fun with it. 

It's much less easy to have fun with WWS, but I'll find a way. So far I've been able to keep my boys on board by showing them just how every exercise we've done so far is a vital part of good storytelling. 

• Like 3

I must admit that I love just getting topic books on fiction (Write Great Fiction Series has my interest right now), reading them, and playing around with the exercises. They make me happy.They are written for writers, so you are expected to use your imagination when it comes to the prompts. I like that.

ETA: I would only use the topic books with older students, because there will be examples of writing in them that might or might not be appropriate. They are written for adults after all.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

I know as a fantasy writer I should love Dr. Who. I don't think I've ever seen an episode, new or old. Unless it was by accident.

As for writing curriculum, I like anything that makes you love writing enough to be willing to tear your hair out from time to time. I tweak everything I touch, so it's hard for me to say I liked this or that. I will say that as I've looked over the WWS series I've been very, very impressed as a writer at just how thorough the first book has been on getting the writer to pay attention to this or that in writing. My complaint would be that it's overly detailed in getting that instruction laid out for the young writer. It could be very frustrating for a young writer to read and then be willing to play around with the ideas. 

The Creative Writer is pretty good.

I loved CW Homer for creative fiction, because retelling and reshaping stories is some of the most fun you can have with a pencil and a blank sheet of paper. Again, though, I picked the models I loved and the boys and I had fun with it. 

It's much less easy to have fun with WWS, but I'll find a way. So far I've been able to keep my boys on board by showing them just how every exercise we've done so far is a vital part of good storytelling. 

We use WWS for high school.  By doing it at an older age than recommended, they are able to do the exercises 95 percent independently (which is crucial for us).

I will look into the Creative Writer.  Thanks!

ETA:  2 1/2 hours later I realize that I have a Booyah!   :leaving:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 4

First cup of coffee........finally.  at 10:15am.  Life is so much nicer if I can beat the kids and dh to the morning. Lynn needs to give me a wake-up call every day.  

Apparently I use Critter's version of Writing with Ease for my curriculum.  Which is a relief because I can now state that in ds9s portfolio.  Woo-Hoo!  I just need a title for your curriculum, Critter.  

Ds9 writes incessantly--I have hundreds of unfinished "novels" in a bin in the garage.  In fact, I awoke today to find that he has covered the school table with about two dozen Landmark books ,and is making a list of them in his notebook.  His goal (today) is to write a novel about a spy/detective who travels through time catching evil villains from history.   

The end result will be about 6-8 pages of writing plus about a bajillion illustrations and maps (the reams of paper we go through!), and then he'll be onto something else.  He's got great ideas, fun illustrations, a natural storytelling voice, atrocious spelling, and an inability to carry his projects to completion. Can't have it all, I guess.  

Meanwhile, I've now got to pull him away from his map drawings and get him to clear off that table so the rest of us can get back to school.  Artists.  Hmpf.  :cursing:

ETA:  This was Critter's post which I meant to quote but apparently haven't had enough coffee to do anything right today:

"Some of the best writing instruction comes from turning them loose with a pencil and a pad of paper and staying the heck out of the way. Honestly. And reading. Reading a ton of stuff. And imagining whole conversations between the imaginary people in your head. Out loud. While people are looking at you like you might be just a little nuts." 

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 8

We use WWS for high school.  By doing it at an older age than recommended, they are able to do the exercises 95 percent independently (which is crucial for us).

Would someone please share a link to Creative Writer?  Thanks!

First cup of coffee........finally.  at 10:15am.  Life is so much nicer if I can beat the kids and dh to the morning. Lynn needs to give me a wake-up call every day.  

Apparently I use Critter's version of Writing with Ease for my curriculum.  Which is a relief because I can now state that in ds9s portfolio.  Woo-Hoo!  I just need a title for your curriculum, Critter.  

Ds9 writes incessantly--I have hundreds of unfinished "novels" in a bin in the garage.  In fact, I awoke today to find that he has covered the school table with about two dozen Landmark books ,and is making a list of them in his notebook.  His goal (today) is to write a novel about a spy/detective who travels through time catching evil villains from history.   

The end result will be about 6-8 pages of writing plus about a bajillion illustrations and maps (the reams of paper we go through!), and then he'll be onto something else.  He's got great ideas, fun illustrations, a natural storytelling voice, atrocious spelling, and an inability to carry his projects to completion. Can't have it all, I guess.  

Meanwhile, I've now got to pull him away from his map drawings and get him to clear off that table so the rest of us can get back to school.  Artists.  Hmpf.  :cursing:

ETA:  This was Critter's post which I meant to quote but apparently haven't had enough coffee to do anything right today:

"Some of the best writing instruction comes from turning them loose with a pencil and a pad of paper and staying the heck out of the way. Honestly. And reading. Reading a ton of stuff. And imagining whole conversations between the imaginary people in your head. Out loud. While people are looking at you like you might be just a little nuts." 

Woohoo, I got a like back!

If you can hang onto those writings and associated materials.  My friend is writing a novel that started with stories she wrote back in junior high.  Besides, even the stuff that doesn't prove to be fodder for later efforts on his part can be sold for a bucket of money after he becomes famous!

• Like 3

Also, Ds9 still draws with his tongue sticking out, up on his upper lip.

It's adorable.  

Tongues can become very involved in intense concentration!

Woohoo, I got a like back!

If you can hang onto those writings and associated materials.  My friend is writing a novel that started with stories she wrote back in junior high.  Besides, even the stuff that doesn't prove to be fodder for later efforts on his part can be sold for a bucket of money after he becomes famous!

:lol: I will need a bigger house.

But I do save a lot of it.  Some of the ideas and characters are really great... I'd love for him to be able to use them someday if he really does take off as a writer/illustrator.  

Any of you read Henry and the Chalk Dragon yet?  Henry is ds9, 1000%.  It cracks us all up.  

• Like 2

:lol: I will need a bigger house.

But I do save a lot of it.  Some of the ideas and characters are really great... I'd love for him to be able to use them someday if he really does take off as a writer/illustrator.  

Any of you read Henry and the Chalk Dragon yet?  Henry is ds9, 1000%.  It cracks us all up.  

Sounds intriguing!  I might have to get that one for me....  

We were going to go to ILs' house to water plants and swim in their pool.

It has been raining, both here and there.  No swimming today, so I told the girls we are cleaning up more of our house instead.  DH & DD15 will check to see if ILs' place got enough rain tomorrow, while I take DD12 to dance class.  Oh well.

• Like 1

I like Fage; the full-fat version (4%) is better than the low fat.

DD finally was allowed to watch Dr. Who and now we're both hooked.  Expect she can remember all the bazillion buried plot points/thread and I can't.

I am not teaching writing.  My approach is, "Figure it out your own self if you won't listen to me."

Not quite, but close.

Slash calls ME a butt.  I think I'd rather be a twit...

It's Doctor Who not Dr. Who, butt.

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!! â˜•ï¸ â˜•ï¸ â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

I watched Dr. Who a while. The new episodes. I really liked the Christopher Eccleston/Billie Piper combination. I did like David Tenant, too. But, as creative and intriguing as the show is....it just didn't strike me as binge-worthy, either.

It's Doctor Who not Dr. Who, twit.

What's covered in WWS?

Also, Ds9 still draws with his tongue sticking out, up on his upper lip.

It's adorable.

:001_wub:
  • Like 2