Menu

Ignore this thread!

I heart rice.

We had rice tonight - IP, of course. And actually, the hot rice cooked the salmon, so it was extra good rice. I can hardly believe that every single kid thought it was good, though some did not want any creamy lemon dill sauce. It is a good thing, because salmon is on sale at Kroger and I have a ton of it in the freezer.

• Like 3

I just got done ordering the last of the curriculum for fall. I think I committed to Logic this year, but I only got one book, because I want to do it once a week with the boys and we can share. I got French (CAP), Latin (MP), Chemistry (McHenry), Theodore Gray Elements and Molecules, a cool poster of the periodic table of the elements and a shower curtain with the periodic table on it because I'm weird that way. :laugh:

I've already bought some things, like Math and Writing. I didn't get anything for Literature, but I have my books picked out and can pick them up at the library as I need them.

I also got my copy of As You Like It, the Kenneth Branagh version, so I'll let you know how I like it when I hast watched it.

• Like 5

I just got done ordering the last of the curriculum for fall. I think I committed to Logic this year, but I only got one book, because I want to do it once a week with the boys and we can share. I got French (CAP), Latin (MP), Chemistry (McHenry), Theodore Gray Elements and Molecules, a cool poster of the periodic table of the elements and a shower curtain with the periodic table on it because I'm weird that way. :laugh:

I've already bought some things, like Math and Writing. I didn't get anything for Literature, but I have my books picked out and can pick them up at the library as I need them.

I also got my copy of As You Like It, the Kenneth Branagh version, so I'll let you know how I like it when I hast watched it.

Why did you get one CAP language and one MP language when both have both languages?

• Like 1

Why did you get one CAP language and one MP language when both have both languages? 

Because I like MP Latin, but not MP French. I don't speak a lick of French, except what I'm learning with Ecoutez, Parlez, and I want video support. MP doesn't have video support with its French; CAP does.

• Like 1

I have absolutely no idea what we are going to do for 9th grade.  I mean, I have the books that I used with ds - once I get the schoolroom unearthed enough to find them, that is.  I very quietly hyperventilate whenever I think about the upcoming school year.  I don't really know what will be best for dd.  I know it will come as a complete surprise to you all, but she is not ds.  I'm doubly stressed because she's talked about doing dual enrollment in two years and I think that will curtail my choices somewhat because she will need to be ready for dual enrollment in two years. 

I can't think about 9th grade though until I've done all my camp lesson planning. 

• Like 6

I have absolutely no idea what we are going to do for 9th grade. I mean, I have the books that I used with ds - once I get the schoolroom unearthed enough to find them, that is. I very quietly hyperventilate whenever I think about the upcoming school year. I don't really know what will be best for dd. I know it will come as a complete surprise to you all, but she is not ds. I'm doubly stressed because she's talked about doing dual enrollment in two years and I think that will curtail my choices somewhat because she will need to be ready for dual enrollment in two years.

I can't think about 9th grade though until I've done all my camp lesson planning.

It'll be okay. Accept that it will be okay so you can do your camp lessons. It feels much heavier than it is. I promise. And fuel enrollment is not a big deal at all. I did it and had horrible schooling. Your daughter could probably do it now and get a 4.0.
  • Like 3

I have absolutely no idea what we are going to do for 9th grade. I mean, I have the books that I used with ds - once I get the schoolroom unearthed enough to find them, that is. I very quietly hyperventilate whenever I think about the upcoming school year. I don't really know what will be best for dd. I know it will come as a complete surprise to you all, but she is not ds. I'm doubly stressed because she's talked about doing dual enrollment in two years and I think that will curtail my choices somewhat because she will need to be ready for dual enrollment in two years.

I start to panic when I think about dd17 and German. And the theater class I am avoiding signing her up for. And the 30,000 people who want me to make decisions about stuff right now. And the plumber who is coming on Friday to remove an enormous wad of money from my bank account.

Critter, can I come live in a corner of your cave? I promise to be quiet - you won't even know I'm there.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

Critter, can I come live in a corner of your cave? I promise to be quiet - you won't even know I'm there. 

Sure, as long as you don't remind me that high school is coming and that the air conditioning folks are getting all my money in November.

• Like 6

I start to panic when I think about dd17 and German. And the theater class I am avoiding signing her up for. And the 30,000 people who want me to make decisions about stuff right now. And the plumber who is coming on Friday to remove an enormous wad of money from my bank account.

Sure, as long as you don't remind me that high school is coming and that the air conditioning folks are getting all my money in November.

It's another ITT mind meld.  I gave a chunk of money for AC yesterday too.  Clogged condensation drain line and low on freon.  Fun, huh?

Also, while we're not reminding each other of stressful stuff - don't ask me how we're getting everyone to the extra-curricular activities this year.  We really have 1 or 2 too many, but one of them is only 2 months so that somehow makes it ok.  (not.)  I might run away to Critter too.  Or the beach.  Yes, the beach.  

• Like 5

Good morning!

It's going to be a hot and wonderful day!

I have determined to ignore the laundry and lesson planning and after I get back from being taxi driver, go through the few things that are causing me the most anxiety and work out the weekly schedule so I know we will be able to get to the places we need to get to.

But first, coffee!

Nope - first ds to work, then coffee.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

I have a huge mess to clean up after moving everything to paint the walls. And dd16 went to work with dh. Where to start, where to start... hmmm. Maybe with draining a bunch of water out of the fish tank so I can move it to finish painting that side of the wall. Then I'll clean. The last wall (end wall) can wait since I need to go back to Home Depot to get a lighter color for it.

Maybe you need to borrow some boys to "educate".  Get teens so they can help with the lifting, moving, and reaching.  Then you can have them help with the cleaning up afterwards (it's part of the job, after all).

Two of my nephews are down visiting at Grandma & Grandpa's this week.  DN15 has decided/been told he needs to be helpful while he's down here, so he's helping Grandpa.  Apparently he's only interested in helping with the manly tasks around the place, though he did join the rest of his cousins in helping to set the tables at supper.

Grandma raised 3 boys (no daughters) and partially raised some of their friends.  DN15 is being encouraged in his volunteering to help with tasks he chooses, but he's also (likely without noticing it) being steered into some of the general tidying-up tasks, too.  You might arrive at Grandma's house completely clueless about how to take care of yourself and your things, but if you hang around you certainly won't remain so clueless.

All of the grandkids already know about dusting.  Any squabbles whatsoever and the item(s) squabbled about get put UP ('way up, out of reach) and everyone involved in the squabbling gets put to dusting.

• Like 2

Caffeine.... :zombie:

I need to borrow the grouchy pants--the ones with the stretch waistband? And designer dragon scales. Green. I'm having a moment about figures of speech. I have to teach personification. It doesn't help that I don't like the essay--I want to tell the author that if he's so down and out about not having anybody to share his life, that I feel bad for him, but that doesn't mean he gets to dump on me. It's an overwritten essay--full of angst, sorrow and a don't-be-like-me moral, and I'm sorry-the guy wasn't Solomon. So, I'd rather pull an essay and do the figures of speech thing myself. Maybe something Twain. But I don't have time or the energy.

Then there is the personification. There's a "this isn't true-it's just a picture" bit that goes with the lesson. And it grates on me. Rubs my fur all up the wrong way. The boys didn't mind it, but I just sat there and muttered about people who only pick out the turn of phrase and don't bother to appreciate the art that went into it. I know that's not what the lesson is about--but I'm grouchy anyway. 

• Like 6

I wish I liked the beach. I would feel normal. 

Actually, I'm more than a little afraid of the ocean. :leaving:

ETA: It's a fraidy-cat Booyah!

You are not the only one.  I have a friend who has always been afraid of water that was deep or clouded.  It didn't help her fear when the small trailer park she lived in was caught by a surprise flash flood.  No shame in having a healthy respect for something so vast, deep, and mysterious.

• Like 2

Happy (belated) Birthday!!!

Did I ever tell y'all when my birthday is?  No?  I didn't think so. ;)  It's Wednesday.  And I'm going to be 29.  Again.  For the 12th consecutive year.

Happy birthday, Ikslo!!!!

:party: :party: :party:

• Like 1

You are not the only one.  I have a friend who has always been afraid of water that was deep or clouded.  It didn't help her fear when the small trailer park she lived in was caught by a surprise flash flood.  No shame in having a healthy respect for something so vast, deep, and mysterious.

When I was quite young, I went the Gulf of Mexico. I was wearing one of those awful swim suits that had an embedded flotation device, and I just sort of floated way out all by myself. I was watching the shore go away, and nobody noticed me just sailing off. That had to be the worst feeling, watching everybody playing and nobody seeing or caring that I was getting taken away. I don't know why I didn't just start screaming, but I didn't. I was quite far out by the time I got rescued. At least it seemed pretty far to me! I couldn't have been very old. 

I have disliked the ocean ever since.

ETA: Not to fond of the color pink, either. That swimsuit was pink.

ETA2: Also sure that I was never in any real danger of floating away. But it sure felt like it at the time!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

I also have this irrational fear of trees in the water. I can tolerate drowned trees to a point, as long as I don't have to go near them. But when the lake is just full of them, or I boat over one and can see the green-covered skeleton vanishing into darker murk...brrrrr. No, I don't do very well.

• Like 3

:seeya:   I think that I failed my catchupping; I'm pretty sure that I missed a couple of pages. Sigh.

Connecticut was...interesting. We saw and did many cool things.  DD made friends with a wonderful little girl with a fabulous family, people with whom we will likely stay in touch. Connecticut is very much not my cultural thing, though. I was very glad to get back to the land of waving at people on the road, smiling at everyone, and having real conversations at check-out counters. phew-smiley-emoticon.gif

Since returning, I had to keep at DD to catch back up in her math class (mean mommy) get caught up with my remaining work and eternal chores, and get DD ready for summer camp.  Sunday was spent taking DD to camp, but I forgot about the time change, so we were a bit late.  DD was not amused.  Nana was along for the ride, so we took the scenic route (well, where we are, every route is the scenic route, but we made a loop of it.) We saw a mama deer with triplets- woot!-but it made for a very long day. Needless to say, when I returned to my dwelling, I was ready for bed. So I gave Buddy dog his meds and let the dogs out one more time. I heard him alarm bark and figured he was chasing off a deer-monster and called him in. He didn't respond immediately, so I went out on the porch and it hit me:  The lovely aroma of burnt tires and sour stink.  The stupid dog was chasing off a skunk-monster.  To get him away from the skunk we had to corral him in the house-OOPS. So, instead of going to bed, I had to spray down 95 pounds of outrage with baking soda, peroxide, and dish soap and then bathe that same monster in the same backyard drenched with the Aroma of Yuck and then Febreze the crap out of my house.  Which didn't work. Yesterday morning I went into town and got Natural's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover (Oh, YAY them! jumping-angel-smiley-emoticon.gif), but I rather suspect that the skunk monster may be a mama skunk who has nested in my horse's sacrifice area, because the faint aroma of skunk is persisting all around my house.

In sum, you should feel very sorry for me. :nopity:

• Like 10

Good Morning!

Coffee!

Then, taking poor DS to STEM Camp. His ear is really hurting him this morning. Hope the anti-biotics and the ibuprophen and the homeopathic junk kick in.

Then, off to the the Big City and Lowes to start this flooring project. Dh finally, grudgingly agreed that "yes, we do really need to get rid of the carpet" and " no, he doesn't have the time to DIY" and so, "yes, we're gonna have to pay to have it installed."

And then Winco and Costco, then home to pick up DS and to hibernate from the 106 degree temps.

Have a great day, all!

• Like 7

Good Tuesday Morning!  

Jean, 9th grade will come together just fine after camp stuff has been dealt with.   :grouphug:   Would it help to do a "brain dump" on it now and then set it aside while you get back to camp stuff?  

The problem really isn't 9th grade as such.  It would be super easy for me to gather what I think are good quality books for 9th grade and to just say that I will do them.  The problem is dd.  I have a little bit of PTSD from teaching this kid.  If it is not a good fit, then she has just totally shut down in the past - no allowing me to tweak it or allowing me to get a tutor - she would just sit there and cry every time I tried to teach the subject - for months.  And 9th grade most likely will require that sort of tweaking just because it is harder.  And at the 9th grade level we just can't afford to lose months to a complete shut down. 

Now having said that, she made huge gains last year not only in skills but in her ability to tackle the harder subjects.  But I have some lingering doubts about if she's quite ready for 9th grade work.  I've already held her back one year though so if we don't do 9th grade work then she will think that it is a judgement on her and that in and of itself could cause her to shut down.  Oy Vey! 

• Like 5

Jean, do you think she is mature enough to have a discussion on what the procedures will be when she runs up against a wall? Since she wants to do duel enrollment, this would be a good time to come up with strategies for learning challenges. Including figuring out when it's time to seek help from a tutor or let the instructor give tips on how to approach things from a different way. Study groups, labs, collaboration with other students, extra time spent with a teacher's aide are all parts of navigating the tough stuff in college, so this would be a great place to start trying that out!

(I was a stubborn kid, so this would not have worked with me, but I also was not used to having to adjust my expectations at that age!)

Funny question of the day (over snack and tea): Mom, are cockroaches nutritious?  :ack2:

• Like 5

Jean, do you think she is mature enough to have a discussion on what the procedures will be when she runs up against a wall? Since she wants to do duel enrollment, this would be a good time to come up with strategies for learning challenges. Including figuring out when it's time to seek help from a tutor or let the instructor give tips on how to approach things from a different way. Study groups, labs, collaboration with other students, extra time spent with a teacher's aide are all parts of navigating the tough stuff in college, so this would be a great place to start trying that out!

(I was a stubborn kid, so this would not have worked with me, but I also was not used to having to adjust my expectations at that age!)

Funny question of the day (over snack and tea): Mom, are cockroaches nutritious?  :ack2:

Critter, discussions about school with dd tend to go like this.

Me:  "Do you have suggestions about how we should approach biology this year?

Her:  "Biology is stupid."

Me:  "How about history?"

Her:  "History is stupid." 

Tell your boys about nutritious cockcroach milk:  http://www.cnet.com/news/mmm-cockroach-milk-could-be-a-nutritious-superfood-for-people/

• Like 3

I like potatoes, rice, pasta, and bread. And steak and veggies and sugar and bacon and ice cream and...aw, shucks. I just like food. Except fish. Fish is not food. And tofu. Tofu is also not food.

:iagree:  I agree. Tofu is not food.

• Like 3

Wow. Plans. Maybe I should...hmmm...

• Like 2

I love salmon too but dh says that it gives him joint pain.  Sigh.  Food is such a pain around here. 

The only salmon we eat is salmon patties. We had some last night, in fact. It was the only food in the house. Almost. Thus, the grocery shopping later today.

• Like 2