Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm revisiting decisions I previously made regarding read alouds for the coming year. I'll probably stick with what I have, but maybe drop a few. I don't know - I feel like a kid who doesn't know what he/she wants to eat. Nothing sounds good, but he/she doesn't want to try something new either.

• Like 4

I'm revisiting decisions I previously made regarding read alouds for the coming year. I'll probably stick with what I have, but maybe drop a few. I don't know - I feel like a kid who doesn't know what he/she wants to eat. Nothing sounds good, but he/she doesn't want to try something new either.

Can you let the kids pick them?

Do think ahead to the time when you will want to consider letting whatever gray you might have show. 

I'm not saying don't dye your hair, and not advocating that if you already are you stop right now.  I'm merely saying think ahead to future decades to consider how you might want to look then, and as you go through life make your choices with your later self in mind as well as your current self.  This will save you much angst and turmoil later, I promise you.

I am actually making the transition now. Up until last October, I extensively highlighted and low lighted my hair in order to hide the grey.  When we moved cross-country, I gave up highlighting and started doing a demi-wash over all of my hair to blend my natural dark brown hair in with my blond.  I'm now about 6" in to the transition.  My grey is much more prominent as it comes in, but I still have the brassy highlights on the lower end of my hair. The dye lasts for about 20-25 washes, and helps blend the two.  Once all of the brassy has been cut out, I can stop the dyeing whenever I want, but when the dye washes out after 20-25 washes, the white strands are left as white. There's no line where I've stopped overcoloring my grey--just from when I stopped my highlights.  

With me losing so much hair due to my R.A. meds, I've also started filling in my eyebrows, I'm doing a pencil with a fairly decent color match. The gel was too much. I don't want the sharpie eyebrow look, iykwim.

• Like 4

I have a huge mess to clean up after moving everything to paint the walls. And dd16 went to work with dh. Where to start, where to start... hmmm. Maybe with draining a bunch of water out of the fish tank so I can move it to finish painting that side of the wall. Then I'll clean. The last wall (end wall) can wait since I need to go back to Home Depot to get a lighter color for it.

• Like 4

Can you let the kids pick them?

That doesn't really appeal to me.   :lol:   I have limited time to do it, so I want to make an intentional choice.  I also don't want to waste my older students' time so I'm choosing with them in mind as much or more so than the younger ones.  13yo dd made at least one suggestion I'm considering.  

• Like 3

I'm sort of there with curriculum. But for me it is like picking what I want to make for dinner. It looks good at the start of the week, but by Wednesday I'm ready for take-out because I'm tired of tweaking for everybody's little taste buds. :lol:

• Like 7

I am experiencing the kind of anxiety/worry that a parent feels when they send their Aspie/APD kid to a new situation (day camp) that could be the best thing ever or a complete disaster. A half-cup of coffee was consumed at breakfast. At least dd13 is there and can keep an eye and comforting hand on him if necessary.

• Like 7

two Tennessee state history books (My First Book About Tennessee, and Uniquely Tennessee).

Ugh.  You just reminded me I have to teach PA history sometime in elementary.  Alas, I have already made my choices for this year.  There's always next year.  Maybe I can convince DH to move out of state before 8th grade.  Hmmmm....

• Like 6

Not if hunger is keeping her from sleeping.

We have a pic of DD15 when she was 2.  She's solidly zonked out on the floor, surrounded by scattered potato chips.  She was running wild just moments earlier and keeping me from eating lunch.  I turned around after cleaning up her spill and found her sound asleep with a half-eaten chip in her mouth.  I snapped the pic, then cleaned up the chips, cleared her mouth, and put a blanket over her.  Then I ate quickly and fell asleep in the rocking chair next to her.

When DS was a toddler he fell asleep while digging a hole in the sand at the beach.  One minute he was happily digging away, then next he was sound asleep in the hole.  We covered him to avoid sunburn, took some pictures, and let him sleep.  He slept for two hours or so, surrounded by loud beachgoers.  It was hysterical. 

• Like 4

I am home from work. It was my birthday, and we had root beer floats. I eat no GF cake that I don't bake myself, y'all. Picky, picky me. All my cabin mates at Camp NaNo wished me a happy birthday, and I had all my ITT birthday wishes, too. :001_wub: I got word that two of my kitty patients from last week went home feeling fine and doing well after treatment, and the day was light and didn't kill me today. My children are visiting with cousins, because my brother and his wife and kids drove up last night to surprise me for my birthday. And nothing bad happened so far (I have a long and well known history of having birthday bad days, so this is really good!)

On Pokemon Go. My kids get to play it when I get a fancy, schmancy phone for me. And when we no longer live in the hollow where the internet goes to die.

On McGyver-I approves.

On homeschooling being protective, Slache.  :grouphug: The protective part isn't the sheltering (although that can be a comfort at times). The protective part is the chronic exposure to love, values, beauty, truth and valor. That's internal shielding, and a weapon against darkness of all shapes and sizes. 

Happy (belated) Birthday!!!

Did I ever tell y'all when my birthday is?  No?  I didn't think so. ;)  It's Wednesday.  And I'm going to be 29.  Again.  For the 12th consecutive year.

• Like 9

I've been doing State History as part of summer term for the past two years. My goal is to complete the text book I have in two years, and then be moving on to some more intensive stuff for high school.

We did California history last year with dd. I learned a lot. And was quite depressed. I did a read aloud with her called "Pioneer California" which was California in the early days. Lots of tragedies. Donner Party - horrible. John Sutter (guy who discovered gold) - ended tragically. This other emigrant party who came through Death Valley turned out all right, but it was hard to read. But overall, the book was excellent. Gave a lot of in-depth information you don't get with history text books. And the other fictional read alouds we did were amazing! Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

Did I ever tell y'all when my birthday is?  No?  I didn't think so. ;)  It's Wednesday.  And I'm going to be 29.  Again.  For the 12th consecutive year.

Happy 40th birthday!!  ;)

:party:

• Like 4

What are the requirements?

I just have to teach it sometime during grades 1-6.  To what extent is not defined.  We covered a bit while covering the American Revolution/Presidents in 1st grade, but I had planned to do a whole section in 3rd with a free book I got.  However, it turned out to be overly religious (I can handle some, but...) with a Bible verse entwined in every paragraph, and so I was going to use it to outline my own, and never got around to it.  Then I simply forgot all about PA history.  We're doing modern times this year and I will throw in a Pennsylvania! Woot! here and a Pennsylvania! Woot! there, and call it good.  LOL  Go, PA, rah, rah, rah! 

Aside: Why is PA more important just because we live here?   

Elementary school – Grades 1-6

"At the elementary school level, the following courses shall be taught: English, to include spelling, reading and writing; arithmetic; science; geography; history of the United States and Pennsylvania; civics; safety education, including regular and continuous instruction in the dangers and prevention of fires; health and physiology; physical education; music; and art."

• Like 5

We did California history last year with dd. I learned a lot. And was quite depressed. I did a read aloud with her called "Pioneer California" which was California in the early days. Lots of tragedies. Donner Party - horrible. John Sutter (guy who discovered gold) - ended tragically. This other emigrant party who came through Death Valley turned out all right, but it was hard to read. But overall, the book was excellent. Gave a lot of in-depth information you don't get with history text books. And the other fictional read alouds we did were amazing!

There is a wonderful California history written by the late Lesha Myers, called His California Story. Definitely not politically correct, but she documented everything with source documents (which are included in the teacher's book). I was one of the proofreaders for the first edition, and I learned so much. :-)

• Like 3

Re. state history.  I just figured that it came up whenever we did a local field trip - esp. one to a history museum.  Ta da.  Done. 

Ooooohhh.  We went to Gettysburg.  That counts, right?  See, I'm so good we met the requirement without even trying.

• Like 7

I'm sort of there with curriculum. But for me it is like picking what I want to make for dinner. It looks good at the start of the week, but by Wednesday I'm ready for take-out because I'm tired of tweaking for everybody's little taste buds. :lol:

Amen and Amen!!

We celebrated your birthday last year and I marked it on my calendar.  Glad I got it right, lol.  

I love the beach. It's my favorite place. I would like to go there right now, because the beach is significantly cooler than where I live right now.

Yes!  The beach!!!  (Speaking of the beach, Angi almost had a beach booyah earlier.  How is it Angi?)

Lynn, I like your new signature!

Thanks!  I prolly should have asked Critter first if I could use it.....   :leaving:

I just have to teach it sometime during grades 1-6.  To what extent is not defined.  We covered a bit while covering the American Revolution/Presidents in 1st grade, but I had planned to do a whole section in 3rd with a free book I got.  However, it turned out to be overly religious (I can handle some, but...) with a Bible verse entwined in every paragraph, and so I was going to use it to outline my own, and never got around to it.  Then I simply forgot all about PA history.  We're doing modern times this year and I will throw in a Pennsylvania! Woot! here and a Pennsylvania! Woot! there, and call it good.  LOL  Go, PA, rah, rah, rah! 

Aside: Why is PA more important just because we live here?   

Elementary school – Grades 1-6

"At the elementary school level, the following courses shall be taught: English, to include spelling, reading and writing; arithmetic; science; geography; history of the United States and Pennsylvania; civics; safety education, including regular and continuous instruction in the dangers and prevention of fires; health and physiology; physical education; music; and art."

I'm wondering if requirements for state history will go away in another generation.  I love history, but state history alone seems rather boring.  I am thinking about reading aloud Lincoln and the Bluegrass some day.  I thought it was really good - lots of references to things locally.  But it's the only book / resource that even has me remotely interested in KY history.  

• Like 4

Between driving everyone everywhere, grocery shopping, making meals, and helping various small people with various tasks, I have gotten diddly squat done on lesson prep. I typed out one quiz.

Oh, ds11 did great at the day camp - from his own and dd13's reports. I was a little concerned when he was the last kid out of rehearsal, but it turns out he was just having his ear talked off by his new friend, Zeke. :)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 8

Ooooohhh.  We went to Gettysburg.  That counts, right?  See, I'm so good we met the requirement without even trying.

I want to go here and here.  They are the houses of some of my step-dad's ancestors.  His family has been in Pennsylvania for a very long time!

• Like 3

There is a wonderful California history written by the late Lesha Myers, called His California Story. Definitely not politically correct, but she documented everything with source documents (which are included in the teacher's book). I was one of the proofreaders for the first edition, and I learned so much. :-)

And who do you think recommended that book to me and I bought it and loved it and learned so much?

Queen Ellie did! Awesome book!

• Like 2

I want to go here and here.  They are the houses of some of my step-dad's ancestors.  His family has been in Pennsylvania for a very long time!

That settles it.  This year I shall attempt to write a 5th grade PA history curriculum that is entirely comprised weekly visits to PA historical landmarks.  This could get expensive.

• Like 6

I am a pretty good cook, but this is my picky eater, who would prefer to subsist on junk food. And he is tall and lean and all muscle, actually. I don't know how he does it. 

Photosynthesis? If so, I want the conversion plan.

• Like 4

That settles it.  This year I shall attempt to write a 5th grade PA history curriculum that is entirely comprised weekly visits to PA historical landmarks.  This could get expensive.

Yes!  If you visit either of the sites I mentioned, let me know.  I'd like to know what they're like.

And your ds can tell people that his Aunt Junie's step-dad's great-great-great...   :lol: .

• Like 1