Menu

Ignore this thread!

Morning, Happy Wednesday. 

We're supposed to get snow and freezing rain tonight into tomorrow.  Since this is the first week of my new session, I have new people who haven't sent in registration forms yet so I don't have contact information except maybe an email from paypal.  I may have to track people down in the morning if we close.  

Today is long.  Three classes, gym then an HOUR of tutoring.  We switched my main tutoring student from two 30 minute sessions a week to one hour long session.  It works better with my schedule to go to the gym and stuff, plus the student recently started TKD so this works better for them too.  But it's going to be LOOOOOOONG and I'll need to prepare more stuff.

• Like 6

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

The two year old is doing his very best to sabotage my efforts to educate my older kids.

He is succeeding unfortunately well.

Also, his most recent obsession is sticking his fingers into mom's nose. 

Anyone want to borrow a two year old for the day? I promise to take him back--eventually.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Spudater said:

I cut Lego Lass’s curly hair. The cheap hair salons just straighten it first grrr. So I did it myself curly girl method. It turned out pretty good. I put some layers in so it would have shape and she wouldn’t look like the woman from the Dilbert cartoon. She refused to keep the special curl styling milk on though. She hates any product on her hair or face. It’s too bad, I thought it was pretty nice. It smelled like coconut and left barely any residue on my hands.  Oh well. I kept thinking when puberty hit she’d start caring about things like that but maybe she’ll always be a no frills girl. I guess I should be grateful since we only have one bathroom. Not that I want her to look like Miss Texas or something. But her hair could be so gorgeous if she’d give it a little love instead of brushing it into a bush. BUT it’s not my hair so 
i will keeep my mouth shut 

Spuds, this is one of those situations that, personally, I regard as a homeschooling plus. My short person went to school when we first came here, for 4th and 5th, and she made lots of friends at the small Christian school. Several families chose to send their kids to the public middle school at 6th or 7th grade.  I watched several nice little girls go overnight from being little girls who liked to play to awkward children playing at being adults, in all the wrong ways. Seriously, there are a couple of them who look like two-penny whores; it's horrifying. As for my short person, she is definitely a no-frills girl despite puberty hitting several years ago. HOWEVER, a few months ago or so (she turned 17 in late August), she suddenly became interested in clothes and developing "a look." This may or may not have coincided with her invitation to join the high school's math club for a competition and her discovery that one of the members of said math club is a very cute boy. 😶 For me, though, I am so very grateful that her interest in that aspect of herself was allowed to develop at its own pace, without the pressure to conform to our culture's incredibly base standards.  My two cents.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I need the Stealth 'Copter STAT!  Destination: Camp JJM  - One 15yo boy checking in for the next 3 months years.  Thank you.  He plays the cello beautifully and has perfect pitch (can sing tenor & baritone) and likes to cook, so hopefully can make some contributions.

Landing pad ready! Piles of mud-encrusted frozen horse expellations ready for spring thaw and clean-up!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, maize said:

The two year old is doing his very best to sabotage my efforts to educate my older kids.

Anyone want to borrow a two year old for the day? I promise to take him back--eventually.

Please see Susan's related post. Camp JJM is always open. HTH!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, maize said:

Sure, I'll take him!

Interestingly enough, although I have 0 desire to have my own really little ones anymore, I really do enjoy teaching and hanging out with them. Periodically. And then giving them back. Eventually.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I told Gymnast I was planning for next year and asked her how she felt about going back to the homeschool classroom next year. She said she'd rather just stay home with me. She has been saying that since November, mind you. She can't tell me why. She'll only say she wants to be with me...

I don't know what to make of that. I mean, I really didn't want to send her back anyway, because I see it as a big waste of time, but still. She did say her arm is about to fall off because they write so much. She said they write all day. Remember, pencil-phobic? Sigh.

I should probably put in the paperwork to get her tested since she's already in the system. 

Done with mind dump. For now.

Snow is falling loudly from the roof.

• Like 6

Cat is going to get a bucket of water dumped on his head if I can ever get a clear shot at him. I think this is the same cat who ate the wren babies last year. I've a mind to trap him, and put a notice up asking whoever owns the fiend to come get him and keep him up. But I might accidentally end up with another cat that way!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Let’s say you are moving to somewhere that getting US homeschool books will be expensive so you are bringing as much as you can. Would you buy ahead for the youngest?

No  Never buy ahead.  It's just money down the drain.

31 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

And how am I going to do high school science when BJU says they can’t do videos there?

Outsource with a different provider, perhaps online.  WTMA or Jay Wile or Derek Owens or......

38 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Let’s say you are moving to somewhere that getting US homeschool books will be expensive so you are bringing as much as you can. Would you buy ahead for the youngest?

37 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

And how am I going to do high school science when BJU says they can’t do videos there?

Wait - did the contract go through?

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

Hmmm.  Maybe?  

I've actually done this, but only with two subjects.  In the case of spelling, discounts meant that the workbooks for youngest were all free (and I'd been successfully using the program for over a year with my three older children). In the case of math, I'd already succeeded using the program with the older 4 and wanted to grab workbooks for the youngest in case any future new editions required new TMs and/or answer keys (which would be brutally $$$).  Both spelling and math are areas where I can tweak curriculum as needed, so the risk of a truly bad fit after three children have used it (including the one with LDs) seems pretty low . 

I don't use workbooks for anything else; very little of what we use is consumable.  I do slip our geography pages into plastic sleeves so we can reuse them, and the same is true of any printing I do.  

Living books are big for us, so I'd also buy our favorites of those (in science and history) if needed, assuming library access would be limited and purchasing abroad would be pricier than purchasing in advance. 

ETA:  Personality here could be a factor: I'm a minimalist, and I also don't mind "ruts."  But if you suspect you'd be bored and want to try something new anyway, I'd wait. 

Edited by lots of little ducklings
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

No but it will. I’m trying to do as much pre-planning as possible. This does change house buying plans. We aren’t doing it. Instead, we are going to get everyone’s US and kids’ UK passports plus work super hard on paying off debt. We are going to move to an apartment as soon as this lease runs out. That will save us about $300 just in rent not to mention utilities and lawn care.

Squeeeeee!! I'm so excited for you!!

• Like 1

We got an email claiming that since we didn't pay rent they are going to lock us out of our apartment if we don't pay in the next 2 days. I went to the office with proof that we had paid rent and they said that it doesn't constitute as proof and now I don't know what to do.

Legally they cannot actually lock us out.

Edited by Slache
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

So today I went to the doctor (nothing interesting going on) and filed our taxes.  I will have some ice cream later, though I told dh that I bought a pony off ebay.  Also, I bought myself a very pretty taupe blouse for $1 at the thrift store.  I don't have anything that matches it except jeans.  That's weird, right?

24 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Hi! Staying warm? How goes the great purge? Getting sleep? 

Kind of. I keep thinking about starting...Nope...

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

We got an email claiming that since we didn't pay rent they are going to lock us out of our apartment if we don't pay in the next 2 days. I went to the office with proof that we had paid rent and they said that it doesn't constitute as proof and now I don't know what to do.

Legally they cannot actually lock us out.

Know your rights as a tenant: https://www.tsahc.org/blog/post/know-your-rights-as-a-tenant

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

Notice it does not say locked out of the apartment.

I didn't read the whole thing, I'm getting ready to do a live on FB. 

I did notice that there are higher ups to contact listed on that page - attorney general and such. You may need to step it up a notch. They continue to push people because they are getting away with it.

• Like 1

Just now, Renai said:

I didn't read the whole thing, I'm getting ready to do a live on FB. 

I did notice that there are higher ups to contact listed on that page - attorney general and such. You may need to step it up a notch. They continue to push people because they are getting away with it.

I've contacted the higher-ups. There are already a series of lawsuits going on.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Paradox5 said:

can you show them on your bank statement where the payment cleared your bank? That is proof! If their system ate it, too bad!

I showed them my bank statement and the email that I got from them saying that I had paid it on the due date. Neither was good enough.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Paradox5 said:

Nope- you have proof. I don’t know who you can call if they try to pull something but any judge will say yes you did. Bank statement, and their confirmation of payment email is solid. Sure you can’t move out early? More cash, though.

That would be like $1,500.

I don't think they'll lock us out. I'm just irritated.

9 minutes ago, Slache said:

I showed them my bank statement and the email that I got from them saying that I had paid it on the due date. Neither was good enough.

Oh, it's good enough. They just don't want it to be. But their wishes aren't legal, nor will they stand  up in court...

So, they are basically nickel and diming you to pay their legal fees to the state/county/whatever.... Once the suit is over, did the state/county/whoever say what would follow? Are they going to contact you?

1 minute ago, Renai said:

Oh, it's good enough. They just don't want it to be. But their wishes aren't legal, nor will they stand  up in court...

So, they are basically nickel and diming you to pay their legal fees to the state/county/whatever.... Once the suit is over, did the state/county/whoever say what would follow? Are they going to contact you?

I don't know.

Just now, Paradox5 said:

Thought so. I’m sorry you are having to deal with these idiots.

Me too!

• Like 1