Menu

Ignore this thread!

Turbo Tax wants $80 because Matt drove for Uber. Alternatives?

What? As in their fee? You can sometimes get discounts on TurboTax through your bank - check the website. You can also get a discount through Fidelity Investments, and I don't believe you have to have an account with them to get the discount.

Our public library offers free tax prep services.

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

What? As in their fee? You can sometimes get discounts on TurboTax through your bank - check the website. You can also get a discount through Fidelity Investments, and I don't believe you have to have an account with them to get the discount.

Our public library offers free tax prep services.

Thanks. It's because he "owns his own business."
  • Like 1

A lady in her 70's pointed to me at an event and said, "I pick her because I like her hair.  She has so much, and mine is so thin."  It was me. :lol:

So then when it was my turn, I picked a lady and told her that I like her hair. :lol:

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 9

My headaches have been minimal for the past few days.  I went to the neuro and he was so helpful.  He said that it sounds like I'm suffering from two different kinds of migraines, so he gave me a prescription for each.  He also told me that magnesium is often helpful.

I am absolutely thrilled to have a game plan!!   :hurray:

Dude. We've told you about magnesium before. When did you join ITT again?

Yay, Junie! Seriously, the magnesium has been my lifesaver. I have been migraine free now for a few years.  Mag citrate is the most bioavailable form, and is for sale at Costco.  If you respond well to the magnesium, you might also try the herb feverfew sometime.

Does feverfew come in a form other than herb to make tea? Because that is some bitter stuff! I had to add copious amounts of spearmint to make it palatable, lol.

• Like 5

I have to go back to work tomorrow.

We had a good school day. No reversals.

I bought a new trash can today.

Michaels had a sale on card stock.

Tex and Slache had good hair days. I did not.

Autowrong auto-corrected autowrong and Slache correctly. It's like it's finally getting me.

• Like 5

When I worked full time, I put myself and all four kids on my insurance, and it was cheaper to get dh his own insurance.  So you have to become a detective to figure this stuff out.

The last time I worked with the schools and tried to put us all on my insurance, we could barely meet rent, let alone afford to make copays on visits. It was a lot of wasted money on something we couldn't afford to use. I took my kids off, they qualified for medicaid, and kept dh and I on the insurance (his job doesn't provide since he does contract work). Then I got this job. Still couldn't afford insurance, my kids and Il qualify for medicaid. What does it say that a teacher salary is low enough for free state insurance??? Dh pays out of pocket at our clinic. Thankfully, he's never sick. If we did it any other way, we'd be living in our cars (two non-working, and the other kind of small to fit 4 peope, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a hamster, and a fish tank  :glare: ).

• Like 5

And I was super cold today at lunch. So cold, I was wearing a winter jacket in my own kitchen. DH thought I was crazy, since HE was comfortable. I told him we are getting lined drapes for the windows. They are draughty! Then he noticed DS was clothed, and decided it must be s bit cooler in the room than usual. Because my wearing a freakin coat to eat wasn't enough of a clue, I guess? SMH

• Like 6

I know, I know.  :)

I used to take a whole handful of vitamins/supplements, but I stopped taking them because it was mentally pulling me down to see so many meds (even if they're not real meds).  It was just a constant reminder that I'm sick.  So, I quit taking all of them.  Also, the capsules gave me kidney stones and I really don't want to do another lithotripsy (kidney stone blast).

I was just really surprised to hear a doctor tell me to take a supplement.  This was a new (and good) experience for me.

• Like 7

And, in other news, dd16's Conceptual Chemistry book came in today.  :hurray: It actually looks interesting. I know I didn't sit and look through Apologia's books with as much interest as this one...dd16 is pretty happy too. Now, to plan this out...

• Like 5

I keep forgetting stuff. 

It didn't snow enough. Well, it snowed plenty in the mountains, but not enough reached us. The schools cancelled afternoon prek classes, probably in anticipation of the forecast of all-afternoon snow. But, the snows never came. What did come didn't stick because it was too warm. It looks like it's not coming tonight either, although the temperature is dropping a lot. 

I accepted working the one-month summer school program again. Hopefully, it will be K like I did last year.

I also got accepted as a live teacher to teach literature-based Spanish classes.  :hurray:  Now, I need another egg (or two) in my basket for next school year. It has to be flexible, because I really need to focus more on homeschooling my girls. I still have ETS. I need to get back on the ball working at least a couple of weekends a month so I don't lose my skill.

Ok, I think that's all for now.

• Like 7

So, tonight I was the presenter at a meeting at church. A very small meeting...I think there were only six of us. :-)

Also, this Wednesday on American Crime, there will be a scene that is a big fund-raising gala. I was there. In fact, we were all there for about 12 hours, and the scene will probably be less than five minutes on screen. I was sitting in the audience directly behind Felicity Huffman so you probably won't be able to see me, but whenever the camera is on her, just know that I'm watching the necklace at the back of her neck. :hat:

• Like 9

Good Morning Friends!  (Braindead Tuesday for Susan!)

:hurray:  for Renai landing the lit-based Spanish gig!  And for Tex having a good AHG group and a good grief group (almost sounds like a Charlie Brown thing, lol.)  And for Ellie, our movie star!  And for Ikslo having a good school day and a good shopping day.  And Tex and Slache having good hair days.  And Critter and her musical Latin translation. 

I slept in a bit.  Now I'm trying to tell myself that I should run. 

• Like 7

So, I feel very rebellious this morning. 
I started reading the Harry Potter series last night. 

Yeah, I know it's not REALLY rebellious, but if you had grown up in the church I grew up in, you'd feel rebellious, too.  :sneaky2: ;) 
Not sure why it took me so long to decide to read it, but yay for me, I guess. haha

Also, I  made my first "homeschool" purchase from Rainbow Resources. I got the Get Ready, Get Set, Go for the Code books (and the teachers guide), Developing the Early Learner, a PreK math book, and The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game. We are having "no tech/tv" nights for dd on MWF, so we are going to do a lesson or two a week. 

• Like 8

Yeah, I know it's not REALLY rebellious, but if you had grown up in the church I grew up in, you'd feel rebellious, too.  :sneaky2:  ;) 

Not sure why it took me so long to decide to read it, but yay for me, I guess. haha

I resisted HP for many years, because, you know, witchcraft and all that. I had friends on both sides of the argument, friends (and others) that I respected. Not long after we moved here to Texas, I decided that I wanted to decide for myself, so I read the whole series. I did not find anything truly occultic. So after I read the complete series *three times,* I began watching the movies--read the book, watch the movie; read the next book watch the next movie. Still nothing occultic.  I respect those who believe otherwise, and I don't try to change their minds; but I have no qualms about reading it myself or recommending it.

And so having said that, let me say this: I am a Ravenclaw and a Pureblood. :thumbup1: A Pureblood is someone who has read all the books and seen all the movies. I belong to a couple of fan pages on FB. I have just applied to be a prefect on a Ravenclaw fan page. :hat:

• Like 7

I know, I know.   :)

I used to take a whole handful of vitamins/supplements, but I stopped taking them because it was mentally pulling me down to see so many meds (even if they're not real meds).  It was just a constant reminder that I'm sick.  So, I quit taking all of them.  Also, the capsules gave me kidney stones and I really don't want to do another lithotripsy (kidney stone blast).

I was just really surprised to hear a doctor tell me to take a supplement.  This was a new (and good) experience for me.

It was ds's neurologist who suggested magnesium and B2.  They also recommended biofeedback.  Cool folks.  Also, we received a script for Imitrex, which I ended up taking all of when I ran out of my own.  He never had another migraine after his inpatient treatment, though.  It's like it reset his brain.  That was 16 months ago.  

• Like 6

Does feverfew come in a form other than herb to make tea? Because that is some bitter stuff! I had to add copious amounts of spearmint to make it palatable, lol.

Nature's Way and a few other places make capsules of feverfew. I've also seen extracts.  Amazon carries a fairly wide selection, and puritan, iherb, and vita cost carry it as well.

• Like 2

I resisted HP for many years, because, you know, witchcraft and all that. I had friends on both sides of the argument, friends (and others) that I respected. Not long after we moved here to Texas, I decided that I wanted to decide for myself, so I read the whole series. I did not find anything truly occultic. So after I read the complete series *three times,* I began watching the movies--read the book, watch the movie; read the next book watch the next movie. Still nothing occultic.  I respect those who believe otherwise, and I don't try to change their minds; but I have no qualms about reading it myself or recommending it.

And so having said that, let me say this: I am a Ravenclaw and a Pureblood. :thumbup1: A Pureblood is someone who has read all the books and seen all the movies. I belong to a couple of fan pages on FB. I have just applied to be a prefect on a Ravenclaw fan page. :hat:

This is partly why I am wanting to read them. I read The DaVinci Code in the midst of the outrage and hoopla and loved the intrigue/secret society aspect. I read Twilight (may the literary gods forgive me!) in the midst of the outrage. But, I still avoided HP. 

I was rewatching The Chronicles of Narnia and comparing it to LOTR. I started thinking about all the magic and sorcerers/witches in those and then started thinking of all the Disney movies we let our daughter watch. All filled with witches, magic, etc. 

I started asking myself "How are these ok and HP isn't? What makes one better than the other?" So, I decided to finally read it for myself. 

I need to find a way to see the movies after I read the books. I guess we'll have to get Netflix DVDs now. lol 

• Like 4

I will out myself and say that I am you in the pre-HP stage.  I am very careful and sensitive about the occult.  It is not a legalistic issue for me because I do not have those any more.  It is a matter of protecting mine and my kids' spirits.  I was not even interested in reading them for myself.  None of my kids ever expressed an interest in them.  They know my thoughts, and they know I have not actually read the books so my thoughts are not based on anything.  When it has come up through the years, I sit quietly and say nothing.  I avoid games like Magic, the Gathering for the same reason.  I know little about it, but I will not mess with something that looks like the occult.  My kids can watch violence and hear curses (not little dd) and all manner of things (no nudity) in movies, but I do NOT mess with the occult.  Also, when I was an older teen and watched a Freddy Krueger movie, I had nightmares about it for years.  In college, I watched Children of the Corn, and it was terrifying to me even though I was an adult.  I don't like stuff like that.  I think I just have a sensitive spirit where it is concerned.  I also believe that we should all use our own discernment where things are concerned.  My SIL remarked once about her BFF, who decided that jackolanterns were of the devil, and I said that if she has such a strong reaction to them, then she should probably avoid them because they bother her.  We don't all have to be the same.

That is one of my darkest secrets, BTW.  Almost no one knows it.  Now I have said it in the private ITT (which almost never is breached by outsiders so we are safe here). :lol:

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 12

I will out myself and say that I am you in the pre-HP stage.  I am very careful and sensitive about the occult.  It is not a legalistic issue for me because I do not have those any more.  It is a matter of protecting mine and my kids' spirits.  I was not even interested in reading them for myself.  None of my kids ever expressed an interest in them.  They know my thoughts, and they know I have not actually read the books so my thoughts are not based on anything.  When it has come up through the years, I sit quietly and say nothing.  I avoid games like Magic, the Gathering for the same reason.  I know little about it, but I will not mess with something that looks like the occult.  My kids can watch violence and hear curses (not little dd) and all manner of things (no nudity) in movies, but I do NOT mess with the occult.  Also, when I was an older teen and watched a Freddy Krueger movie, I had nightmares about it for years.  In college, I watched Children of the Corn, and it was terrifying to me even though I was an adult.  I don't like stuff like that.  I think I just have a sensitive spirit where it is concerned.  I also believe that we should all use our own discernment where things are concerned.  My SIL remarked once about her BFF, who decided that jackolanterns were of the devil, and I said that if she has such a strong reaction to them, then she should probably avoid them because they bother her.  We don't all have to be the same.

That is one of my darkest secrets, BTW.  Almost no one knows it.  Now I have said it in the private ITT (which almost never is breached by outsiders so we are safe here). :lol:

Once, many, many years ago, when I was in a long-term therapy group with a bunch of wonderful ladies, I had to out myself as a Republican social worker.  They were very gracious. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   (Not a Republican any more so no hate mail on that one.  Look upon me as a Libertarian. :hat: )

I think that is all of the peeks into my odd mind that anyone can and should handle this early in the morning.  This post should have a coffee warning.

I completely understand. Before I became a Christian, I had lots of occult stuff--tarot cards, ouija board, books on occult arts--and so I am also very careful and sensitive about the occult. We never, ever watched scary, creepy movies, or played those games. I understand about protecting your and your dc's spirits. :-)

• Like 8

And so having said that, let me say this: I am a Ravenclaw and a Pureblood.  :thumbup1: A Pureblood is someone who has read all the books and seen all the movies. I belong to a couple of fan pages on FB. I have just applied to be a prefect on a Ravenclaw fan page.  :hat:

I get sorted into Slytherin. So it's easy for me to go over to the Dark Side. :laugh:

• Like 4

I completely understand. Before I became a Christian, I had lots of occult stuff--tarot cards, ouija board, books on occult arts--and so I am also very careful and sensitive about the occult. We never, ever watched scary, creepy movies, or played those games. I understand about protecting your and your dc's spirits. :-)

Oh! I messed around with a ouija board in college with my neighbor and his roommate. It scared all of us so much we ran out and threw it in the dumpster.
  • Like 4

I'm speaking on a panel at church tonight to young women about preparing for and balancing a career and motherhood. My church encourages mothers to be home with their children but acknowledges it's not always a financial possibility as disability, death, or the economic realities of life happen...

Anyway, I'm curious---knowing what I know now as an adult about my chosen profession, it's not motherhood friendly.  Is/was your choice? What would you recommend instead?

• Like 2

FWIW, I'm recommending to my own daughters that if they have any interest that they should become a nurse or respiratory tech or the like. Pay is good, insurance is included and reasonable, and flexible/part-time hours are always a possibility. Plus, the skill set is handy in your own family.  I'm not sharing that tonight, though.

• Like 4

Once, many, many years ago, when I was in a long-term therapy group with a bunch of wonderful ladies, I had to out myself as a Republican social worker.  They were very gracious. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   (Not a Republican any more so no hate mail on that one.  Look upon me as a Libertarian. :hat: )

I think that is all of the peeks into my odd mind that anyone can and should handle this early in the morning.  This post should have a coffee warning.

Completely understand and  agree. It's incredibly easy to become desensitized to those types of things and once they're in, they're in. 

I refuse to allow horror or haunted movies into my house. *shudder* Those disturb me deeply. 

• Like 6

I'm speaking on a panel at church tonight to young women about preparing for and balancing a career and motherhood. My church encourages mothers to be home with their children but acknowledges it's not always a financial possibility as disability, death, or the economic realities of life happen...

Anyway, I'm curious---knowing what I know now as an adult about my chosen profession, it's not motherhood friendly.  Is/was your choice? What would you recommend instead?

FWIW, I'm recommending to my own daughters that if they have any interest that they should become a nurse or respiratory tech or the like. Pay is good, insurance is included and reasonable, and flexible/part-time hours are always a possibility. Plus, the skill set is handy in your own family.  I'm not sharing that tonight, though.

Teaching is motherhood friendly with the idea that you have summers off. It's incredibly draining, though, especially for an introvert. 

I wish I had had a better understanding of finances and student loans. I took out probably $60K more than I should have and I am paying for it now. I desperately wanted to be a SAHM once dd was born, but I had to pay off these dang loans. So, if that's a goal of theirs, they need to really think about the literal cost of the education associated with said career, because it's not always that easy to work then "just stay home when I'm ready to have kids". 

• Like 9

I read HP years ago and really found nothing objectionable. And I kinda sorta kept up with the controversy, but one thing I heard that someone said was a problem was the lack of a clearly defined right and wrong, good vs. evil. I can't speak to this because it's been along time since I read the book and I only read the first one. But, one thing about Narnia is that there is a definite right and wrong, good vs. evil theme in every book. It's not so much about the fantasy elements, it's about good vs. evil. And in modern movies and books the line isn't clearly drawn any more.

• Like 4

I read HP years ago and really found nothing objectionable. And I kinda sorta kept up with the controversy, but one thing I heard that someone said was a problem was the lack of a clearly defined right and wrong, good vs. evil. I can't speak to this because it's been along time since I read the book and I only read the first one. But, one thing about Narnia is that there is a definite right and wrong, good vs. evil theme in every book. It's not so much about the fantasy elements, it's about good vs. evil. And in modern movies and books the line isn't clearly drawn any more.

Isn't that more true to life, though? Sometimes there is a definite right and wrong, but sometimes, you have to choose the lesser of two evils? Maybe that's just my own personal belief, but I don't think there is always a perfect right and wrong. 

Speaking of right and wrong - Has anyone seen the movie The Good Lie?

Very emotional. Really makes you think about doing something wrong for the right reasons and how those lines are incredibly blurry sometimes. 

• Like 3

I avoided the HP books for a while, then decided to read them to make up my own mind.  I read a few of them, then became disturbed with how dark they were becoming, and so I quit.

I am planning for ds15 to read the first book as part of Brit Lit this year.  I feel that it is fairly benign and will make him culturally aware of something that nearly all of his peers are familiar with.

• Like 3

I find that a lot of people want their food predigested for them....the clear lines between good and evil drawn already before them.  I agree Mary, life is much messier than that.  I don't mind the shades of grey, or even my children reading about evil within a storyline.  The reality is that we are all beams of light in a fallen world with Satan and his dark spirits trying to make us go to the dark side.  In the words of Gandalf: "Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I've found. I found that it is the small things. Every day deeds by ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay."

• Like 4

What is your chosen profession?  I'm thinking lawyer, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I quit teaching when ds15 was born.  I think that it would have been really difficult to do both, although many people do accomplish this.

I think I would recommend something in which you were not vitally important to the success of whatever.  For instance, a classroom without a teacher can be a disaster.  Substitutes often do not get the job done.  A physician cannot just find a replacement if her own child is sick and she has to stay home.

Flexible schedules such as those who work in an office and can telework might be better for moms.  A job where you are given sick days is obviously beneficial, but only if the office/whatever won't fall apart if you don't go in.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2

Yeah, I know it's not REALLY rebellious, but if you had grown up in the church I grew up in, you'd feel rebellious, too.  :sneaky2:  ;) 

Also, I  made my first "homeschool" purchase from Rainbow Resources. I got the Get Ready, Get Set, Go for the Code books (and the teachers guide), Developing the Early Learner, a PreK math book, and The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game. We are having "no tech/tv" nights for dd on MWF, so we are going to do a lesson or two a week. 

I'm a legalist. We homeschool because we've seen too many bad things with both public and christian schools, and we only read the KJV but not for all the really stupid reasons you've heard about around the internet. When I told my girfriend I was getting Harry Potter in Spanish her jaw about hit the floor. I didn't realize I was quite so bad.

We're getting Developing the Early Learner too! I'm very exited.

Oh! I messed around with a ouija board in college with my neighbor and his roommate. It scared all of us so much we ran out and threw it in the dumpster.

I grew up doing all sorts of occulty stuff and even *I* knew not to do that. Bad Tex! I can't believe they sell those in game sections at stores. So sad.

Anything one can do at home. I've had friends that have cleaned houeses and nannied and were able to take their kids with them.

• Like 2

I'm an attorney. I thought I chose a good family friendly job, a small boutique firm with a washer and dryer in the basement and a game room upstairs for kids to hang out in after school.  In reality, the hours were still long (7-7) and when one attorney can't make it to a court date--it affects a lot of people.  The judge, both attorneys, and both parties all have to reschedule.  Dh offered to become a stay-at-home parent as I was reluctant to hire a nanny.  Ultimately, I wanted to be the one snuggling my babies, reading to my children, and in the trenches of day to day parenting. 

• Like 8