Menu

Ignore this thread!

Friends used to ask if dd was British or if she came from Boston (never mind the linguistic differences between the two).  Speech therapy was a good thing for her. 

I get that with French. Are you from France? No. Are your parents? No. You sound french. No I don't. You look french too. No I don't. Why do you talk like that? Like what? Like someone from France. I don't. Well you dress like your from France. I'm... sorry?

All the time. Seriously. I'm even made of like 14 different ethnicities and French isn't one of them.

I must be doing something wrong. I never get asked if I'm from anywhere if I'm speaking English. Dang it. But, if I'm heard speaking Spanish, I hear the wheels turning in their brains trying to remember where black people speak Spanish.  :lol:  So, I usually get if I'm from Cuba or the Dominican Republic. (There are 20 other countries, btw...) Which is funny, because although I'm really fluent and can fake it till I make it, I have a very slight accent (if I have to start talking too much) and a Mexican dialect.  :lol:

• Like 8

Taxes are done!  :svengo: Also a little :crying: . It's about $1,200 less than we were expecting so I have to choose between paying off a debt and having a sufficient moving fund.

Ours is quite less too because of self-employment taxes from the curriculum writing contract at the beginning of last year. It took a chunk, even though we're quite poor. I'm still figuring out if there is something else I'm missing, so I haven't filed yet. (And, no, I don't cheat on my taxes.)

#thestruggleisreal

When in doubt, save the money. That's my vote.

Saving is always a good idea. But, paying off the debt is better as interest on debt is higher than interest earned on savings. And, it also depends on if there already is a savings. If not, put it in savings, if so, pay debt.

• Like 6

I had fallen asleep after last night's posts I made, because I was surviving on 2.5 hours of sleep the night before. Because district consultant was in yesterday. I don't know, I though I was over her, but she just rubs me all wrong. I can't even be civil.

• Like 2

Recently, dh made me watch "It".  I think he hates me.  I'm pretty sure that Stephen King is actually the devil.

Watch ITT, not It. It is evil. For some reason, I was in the movie theater with my parents when they were watching that vile movie. I don't remember what I saw, but remember the remainder of the movie was spent with me hiding my face. I think I fell asleep, or at least everything has been blocked out of my conscious..

• Like 2

I wouldn't either. 

I just recently read an article about introverted teachers burning out more quickly than extrovert teachers and a lot of it is due to the changes in the profession. I never thought of it, but my constant "ON" time at school is a huge hindrance to my success as a mother/wife. By the time I get home, I just need ME time and that doesn't happen with a 3 year old. 

I've dabbled with some other career choices, but I'm not ready to give up my summers right now. 

Maybe this is my problem. I was either a fake extrovert, or am currently an introverted extrovert or something, because when I get home I can't even. I don't want to either. Dh doesn't understand why I don't want to be around anyone. But, I would like to be. I've done  a lot of different things working from home over the years, and much prefer that flexibility than anything else, although I do enjoy teaching. Have you looked at teaching online? You'll still have summers.

ETA: I don't know why that's not quoting right.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 1

The Sonlight PK program looks very similar to the Sonlight PK I did a decade ago.  What's not working for you?

It is extremely similar to the one a decade ago, plus or minus a couple of books. It was dd16's favorite, but I don't know what made it so. We didn't use the LA program with it though. I have it right now for Gymnast, and we so far like the stories (we're reading Uncle Wiggily's). Dd16 is reading her favorites to Gymnast (the Berenstain Bears science is one).

• Like 1

Except for professional development days. Then, you're left scrambling for a babysitter. :/ This is a big reason why I'm not putting dd into the public preschool. With her current preschool, I have my babysitter built in for those days when kids are out and teachers aren't. 

Otherwise, it's probably one of the easiest to accommodate motherhood. 

Unless the pd days were outside our own school, every teacher I know have brought their children on those days. My tricky days have been when pd is out of town. Usually dh has to take off or get off early, or lately just be out of work (construction) :(.

I am very excited about this. Although with ds's performance in algebra this year... Ug! I am having a huge mom-fail moment. His instructor emailed me late last week to tell me he has about 12 zeros from not doing homework. What!?!? He says he would do part of them and then forget to go back in and finish. Um no. She gives you THREE TRIES. No excuses. (But that does explain why I thought he was doing homework, since I would see him working on it.) She was nice enough to let him make them up for half credit. So his grade will still stink. And, it is aops. Which means these assignments are taking him foreveh! Then I find him on Minecraft... Again. Turns out little one was doing it too. They have had screens taken away for two weeks because I caught them messing around one too many times in the last few weeks.

Ugh, math. Homework. Math.

I picked up a free Basic College Mathematics book (not Lials) from a homeschool friend the other week. I had dd16 look through it to see if it would be helpful for her. I feel that she is weak in some basics, but didn't want to say. She goes, "Oh, wow, this goes all the way back to the beginning!" I was prepared to hear her say that it would be too basic for her (pride, dontcha know), but she was saying she did need more help with xx, xx, xx, and xx.  :svengo: I'm glad she knows that. Maybe she was more receptive because it's a college book? I couldn't imagine having to pull out a middle school text to cover the same stuff.

• Like 6

Good morning!!!!

I am awake, and wish I wasn't. I tossed and turned all night. My joints are a achy, especially my knees, and I couldn't get comfortable.

Thanks for hugs, and encouraging words and such.

I hope everyone has a good day. We haven't done school all week, and I feel bad about it. But we will get it done.

• Like 5

I have to get the schedule up on the whiteboard for the day. I'm procrastinating because I can. But chores are done, and I've decided that I'm going to make chili for lunch, and build a fire later today if it doesn't warm up. So my planning is done. :laugh:

I figured out why I'm happy. I am taking next week off of school. Among other thing, I will be shopping for a chemistry set. I have always wanted a chemistry set. :hurray:

• Like 9

I have to get the schedule up on the whiteboard for the day. I'm procrastinating because I can. But chores are done, and I've decided that I'm going to make chili for lunch, and build a fire later today if it doesn't warm up. So my planning is done. :laugh:

I figured out why I'm happy. I am taking next week off of school. Among other thing, I will be shopping for a chemistry set. I have always wanted a chemistry set. :hurray:

We want a chemistry set too. I have no idea what to get. Keep me posted.

• Like 1

Did I show ya'll this? Tell me what you think.http://santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5423199985.html

Sounds promising.  My question would be has it been driven lately?  The person selling it is doing so because he or she cannot drive a stick.  It is the worst thing in the world for a car to just sit for long periods of time so I would want to know how long it has been sitting.

• Like 2

Sounds promising. My question would be has it been driven lately? The person selling it is doing so because he or she cannot drive a stick. It is the worst thing in the world for a car to just sit for long periods of time so I would want to know how long it has been sitting.

I was wondering why they had a car they couldn't drive in the first place. The car I'm driving now sat for 2-3 years before I bought it. I guess that wasn't good, lol. I only paid $400 for it though, lol. I just sent a text asking about sitting time.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 3

I was wondering why they had a car they couldn't drive in the first place. The car I'm driving now sat for 2-3 years before I bought it. I guess that wasn't good, lol. I only paid $400 for it though, lol.

Well, that is a good deal so it negates the issues, IMO.  Maybe a parent gave it to them.  Maybe it's a divorce case.  Hard to know.  But I would ask the questions about how they got a car they can't drive and how long they've had it.  If you ask right, they will think you are being friendly and not asking car condition questions.  That's my M.O., anyway.  Works really well as a woman because people think I don't have a clue.  I may have only half a clue, but Imma use it.  :D

• Like 7

Peeps, I just looked in my files for my dad's tax receipt.  I went back and forth with this missionary in India many times because I never got it.  Then I did.  Now I lost it.  And my odd father will likely persist until he receives it.  I think I might have to take up drinking after almost three decades of not.  Or maybe change my name and move to Australia.  This will not be good, folks.

• Like 3

I must be doing something wrong. I never get asked if I'm from anywhere if I'm speaking English. Dang it. But, if I'm heard speaking Spanish, I hear the wheels turning in their brains trying to remember where black people speak Spanish.  :lol:  So, I usually get if I'm from Cuba or the Dominican Republic. (There are 20 other countries, btw...) Which is funny, because although I'm really fluent and can fake it till I make it, I have a very slight accent (if I have to start talking too much) and a Mexican dialect.  :lol:

Dd was asked if she was from Britain or Boston because she couldn't pronounce her "R's". 

• Like 3

I wrote a whole post and lost it :crying:

Renai, good idea on the math book. I have him doing Foerster's too because of the practice and big picture first setup.

:hurray: for Tex's young friend!

I get to be Attila the Hun. Up doing math this am. The boy would probably like to give me the stink eye, but since he knows I don't allow the stink eye, he has no choice but to give the stink eye to the math problems, lol. Dh keeps reminding me that this will be a good character lesson. I know this. It still bites. I have other things to do. Dh has been very good about backing me up and reiterating how important it is to do work diligently. :hurray: for Dh.

Ds11 is getting a cold and only wants to snuggle and read. Since he isn't a math delinquent, I am allowing this.

Still stalking WTMA to no avail. Don't they know that I am dying to make sure the Geometry class doesn't overlap with the writing class I just signed up for. Seriously. Life surely revolves around my needs. :snicker:

• Like 4

I don't need snow boots!  It snowed once or twice this year and didn't even stick.  Even if it still manages to snow again this year it either won't stick or will be about an inch at the most.  If it gets cold, we mostly get frost and sometimes ice. 

Look upon "snow boots" as a euphemism for "cold weather boots"  Does that help?  They have a rubber sole and are warm.  

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 3

Peeps, I just looked in my files for my dad's tax receipt. I went back and forth with this missionary in India many times because I never got it. Then I did. Now I lost it. And my odd father will likely persist until he receives it. I think I might have to take up drinking after almost three decades of not. Or maybe change my name and move to Australia. This will not be good, folks.

I can help you with the drinking part. #comeonover

• Like 3

I wrote a whole post and lost it :crying:

Renai, good idea on the math book. I have him doing Foerster's too because of the practice and big picture first setup.

:hurray: for Tex's young friend!

I get to be Attila the Hun. Up doing math this am. The boy would probably like to give me the stink eye, but since he knows I don't allow the stink eye, he has no choice but to give the stink eye to the math problems, lol. Dh keeps reminding me that this will be a good character lesson. I know this. It still bites. I have other things to do. Dh has been very good about backing me up and reiterating how important it is to do work diligently. :hurray: for Dh.

Ds11 is getting a cold and only wants to snuggle and read. Since he isn't a math delinquent, I am allowing this.

Still stalking WTMA to no avail. Don't they know that I am dying to make sure the Geometry class doesn't overlap with the writing class I just signed up for. Seriously. Life surely revolves around my needs. :snicker:

Please let us know when the WTMA releases their schedule.  Do they hate us?

I don't need snow boots! It snowed once or twice this year and didn't even stick. Even if it still manages to snow again this year it either won't stick or will be about an inch at the most. If it gets cold, we mostly get frost and sometimes ice.

These are my boots:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/helly-hansen-lynx-winter-boots-insulated-for-women~p~8028g/

I love them. Like I want to marry them, love them. They actually make feet look small and petite. They don't come up to high on the calf. They are pretty and understated and durable. I wear them all the time in the winter because Wisconsin and pretty.

I am actually considering getting another pair but I am afraid that no one will be selling them :crying: We should probably figure out who gets them when I die. I wear a 6.5. Let the grovelling begin!