Menu

Ignore this thread!

I dislike HP, but not for thematic reasons.  I read the first one, and..... meh.   Am I the only one of two people on earth who aren't impressed with Rowling's writing style?  I'd never admit that publicly, so please don't tell anyone.  I don't want anyone throwing things at me.  

You need to read Books 4, 5 and 6. The style gets better. I would agree with you on books 1 and 2, maybe 3, although the handling of a really tricky plot device in that book is worth the read. 

• Like 2

Those of you on health share plans, BTW, please feel free to bombard me with thoughts, experience, ideas, advice.  Here or PM, all input is most welcome!

http://www.greendrinkdiaries.com/alternatives-to-obamacare-comparing-samaritan-ministries-medi-share-and-christian-healthcare-ministries/

Click "view pdf"

http://www.cchfreedom.org/cchf.php/193#.VrEnq_kzrIU

http://samaritanministriesreview.com/samaritan-ministries-vs-christian-healthcare-ministries/

Edited by texasmama

I ketched up.

I would never, ever sew darts.  I would buy the kid a belt.

I can't remember how many Harry Potter books I've read, but I didn't finish the series.  Ranks right up there with Don Quixote and Frankenstein, I guess.   ;)

Not sure what's for dinner.  

No headache.  :)

We began "peech yerapy" this week.     Dd5 said, "It was wunner dan I yought it would be."  (It was funner than I thought it would be.)   :lol:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 6

I ketched up.

I would never, ever sew darts.  I would buy the kid a belt.

I can't remember how many Harry Potter books I've read, but I didn't finish the series.  Ranks right up there with Don Quixote and Frankenstein, I guess.   ;)

Not sure what's for dinner.  

No headache.   :)

We began "peech yerapy" this week.     Dd5 said, "It was wunner dan I yought it would be."  (It was funner than I thought it would be.)   :lol:

Said kid would never wear a belt.  Or I would have to remember to put it on him.  I cannot commit to this.  Thus, darts.  I will give you that darts in denim are unfun.  Hence, my mid-dart break.

Peech yerapy is actually a lot of fun for most kids.  :)

I see kids all the time in the world (particularly the homeschooling world) who really need ST for articulation and don't get it.  When a 13 year old can't say his r's to the point some of his speech is unrecognizable, ST is indicated - and well past the point it should have been given.   :hat:

• Like 3

I see kids all the time in the world (particularly the homeschooling world) who really need ST for articulation and don't get it.  When a 13 year old can't say his r's to the point some of his speech is unrecognizable, ST is indicated - and well past the point it should have been given.   :hat:

Yeah, there is a teen boy at camp who is homeschooled and fits that description to a T.  Sigh.  He also fulfills a lot of the stereotypes of an unsocialized homeschooler, thus undoing any breaking down of stereotypes that I thought we had accomplished. 

• Like 4

Dd really must be sick.  She's just listless.  No other symptoms.  But based on my Energizer Bunny's continuing listlessness I decided to keep her home from volunteering.  I braced myself for the teen tantrum that was sure to follow and she said "Ok - I was thinking that I should stay home."  :svengo:

Hope she feels better soon.

• Like 4

Friends used to ask if dd was British or if she came from Boston (never mind the linguistic differences between the two). Speech therapy was a good thing for her.

I get that with French. Are you from France? No. Are your parents? No. You sound french. No I don't. You look french too. No I don't. Why do you talk like that? Like what? Like someone from France. I don't. Well you dress like your from France. I'm... sorry?

All the time. Seriously. I'm even made of like 14 different ethnicities and French isn't one of them.

• Like 4

Those of you on health share plans, BTW, please feel free to bombard me with thoughts, experience, ideas, advice. Here or PM, all input is most welcome!

We started Medi-share in September of 2015. If you have any questions about that particular organization, I'll be glad to try to answer them. We chose that one because my engineer husband researched and researched and crunched numbers and figured out that one was best for us.

One thing, though, that's been rough, is trying to educate the health care providers. It's not insurance and so many doctors don't know what to do with it.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

I hate it when it's 4:55pm and I have no idea what's for dinner.

Meatballs take too long. I don't think I can tolerate anymore fake-baked-ziti or mac-n-cheese or pizza. And no one will eat anything else.

Sigh.

Tuesday is Soup Night, don't ya know.

Tonight I am putting the effort into lemon chicken tarragon soup, since it is ds's favorite. Saute onions, add garlic. Stir in about 1/4-1/3 cup flour. Add 6ish cups of chicken or turkey broth. Bring to boil. Lower temp and add diced chicken or turkey, 1/4C lemon juice (or more to taste), 2 tsp tarragon, two good dashes of Tobasco, and 1 cup cream. Salt to taste. Heat through and eat. Don't burn the onions like I am doing right now.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

I dislike HP, but not for thematic reasons.  I read the first one, and..... meh.   Am I the only one of two people on earth who aren't impressed with Rowling's writing style?  I'd never admit that publicly, so please don't tell anyone.  I don't want anyone throwing things at me.  

To each his own. I am apparently one of only a couple of people in the entire known world who prefer a hot poker through the eyeball to "Girl of the LImberlost.":-)

There are some places that I wish her editor had been more assertive; she discovered hyphens in the third book and used them freely, and often, incorrectly; I wish she had found another way to describe people's emotions without repeatedly writing what their faces looked like. But I just make changes in my head and keep going, because overall, they're pretty decent books.

• Like 1

A series that I think is excellently written, but that I haven't introduced to my kids is "The Dark is Rising" books by Susan Cooper.  I should probably reread them but what I found disturbing is that the good isn't totally good and the bad isn't totally bad.  I don't mind books that show how difficult it is to distinguish good from evil but I want there to be an actual difference between the two instead of it all being relative.  But I love her writing. 

• Like 5

I hate it when it's 4:55pm and I have no idea what's for dinner.

Meatballs take too long. I don't think I can tolerate anymore fake-baked-ziti or mac-n-cheese or pizza. And no one will eat anything else.

Sigh.

Same boat here. So cereal. I said it like a punishment. "If you don't like the suggested offerings, fine. You get cereal." DS was all over it.

• Like 5

To each his own. I am apparently one of only a couple of people in the entire known world who prefer a hot poker through the eyeball to "Girl of the LImberlost.":-)

There are some places that I wish her editor had been more assertive; she discovered hyphens in the third book and used them freely, and often, incorrectly; I wish she had found another way to describe people's emotions without repeatedly writing what their faces looked like. But I just make changes in my head and keep going, because overall, they're pretty decent books.

This made me snort really loud. 

Also, I didn't realize Girl of the Limberlost was a book! I always thought it was just a Feature Films for Families movie.

Always educating me, Ellie. 

• Like 1

Said kid would never wear a belt. Or I would have to remember to put it on him. I cannot commit to this. Thus, darts. I will give you that darts in denim are unfun. Hence, my mid-dart break.

Peech yerapy is actually a lot of fun for most kids. :)

I see kids all the time in the world (particularly the homeschooling world) who really need ST for articulation and don't get it. When a 13 year old can't say his r's to the point some of his speech is unrecognizable, ST is indicated - and well past the point it should have been given. :hat:

Either that or said child is from Massachusetts.

• Like 3

Tuesday is Soup Night, don't ya know.

Tonight I am putting the effort into lemon chicken tarragon soup, since it is ds's favorite. Saute onions, add garlic. Stir in about 1/4-1/3 cup flour. Add 6ish cups of chicken or turkey broth. Bring to boil. Lower temp and add diced chicken or turkey, 1/4C lemon juice (or more to taste), 2 tsp tarragon, two good dashes of Tobasco, and 1 cup cream. Salt to taste. Heat through and eat. Don't burn the onions like I am doing right now.

I don't like tarragon.

(Just in case you ever have to make me dinner! LOL)

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 4

Peech yerapy is actually a lot of fun for most kids.   :)

Not for DD last week. :/

She started off the session incredibly stubborn and refused to "Grrr" like a bear. (We're working on those G and K sounds, so it really did have a reason.) Refused to talk, refused to make the sounds, cried, tried to get me to take her home, etc. 

Ms. Kelsey stuck it out and refused to give in, especially since dd has been super stubborn other times with her, too. We got absolutely nothing done, other than dd not getting to play her games or get a special sticker. Fingers crossed that tomorrow is much better and/or productive. But, if we have to have more "stubborn sessions" to finally break through and get her to work, then so be it. 

• Like 4

Geez. They will be free.  Stuff some socks in the toe. :lol:

(And I only wear a size 10, which is not giant for being 5'10".  Of course, you are a hobbit....but I digress... :leaving: )

For someone who wears Dead People Clothes, I have my standards. 

I am not a hobbit.  My feet are not furry.  Just my clothes - from the rabbit. 

Ooh - a Dead People Clothes, furry Booyah! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 9

So I have to say I like HP, and Ouija boards are fake. in case anyone was wondering what I thought. You won't find a Ouija board in my house, though. Nope.

I burned my Ouija board in a big bonfire. Really.

I won't burn HP, though. Even Mr. Ellie, although he is a Muggle, did not hate HP when I watched the movies in his presence. :D

• Like 6