Menu

Kindergarten Graduation Ceremonies - what are your thoughts?

Kipling

146 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on Kindergarten Graduation?

• It's an important rite of passage - would definitely have my child participate.
    • So cute! - would definitely have my child participate.
    • Eh, it's cute, but not important - would probably have my child participate.
    • Eh, it's kind of cute but not important - would probably not have my child participate.
    • It's silly and frivolous - would not have my child participate.
    • It's wrong; kindergarteners are just beginning, not graduating - would not have my child participate.

I think it's kind of silly but ultimately harmless. If I was asked I would say no, but I would probably still participate. Somewhat similarly, we were asked if we wanted to have participation trophies for my 8 year old son's basketball team. I said no (and I think other parents were glad as a bunch of others said no also after I did) but then in the end the league provided them anyway and we let him have it. 

I do think it's odd the way they are doing it by combining it with a high school graduation. Why not also 5th grade graduation? 8th grade? 

Our co-op does have some schooly related things which I'm fine with in general. We have a yearbook and they do a high school graduation ceremony. There is a student government for the high school that organizes some social activities and service projects. I see them as being kind of extra fun things but not really essential. It's not the same as "doing school" and doesn't really impact our educational choices so I don't have a problem with any of it. 

• Like 2

You know, I keep reading things like "It's not an accomplishment so it shouldn't be celebrated" and..I take your point, but for a that particular 5 year old it might feel like an accomplishment. I think each kid has every right to feel proud of all he or she learned throughout the year. We have always had a little party at the end of our homeschool 'year' with ice cream and a hike. I work my kids hard and they should be proud.  It at least merits an ice cream cone, lol.

Heck, staying alive isn't that difficult for my kids, but we still have birthday parties. Getting born isn't exactly an accomplishment, not like they had anything to do with it or say about it.

They are only 5 or 6, it might feel like they did something worthwhile. That seems like a better option than telling them they accomplished nothing, is all I am saying.

I am sure this thread will now be flooded with people telling me that kindergarten was a complete waste of time for their little darling :svengo: And for that I am sorry. It's good to keep a little wonder at the small joys of life for as long as possible.  It gets so boring so quickly

• Like 4

I did it with my eldest, because we were just starting out in our homeschooling adventure, so it was simply something to do.  Looking back, it was silly to do and nothing about it made me want to do it with the rest of my children.  I also did not buy the cap/gown, but a nice outfit that could be worn again.

I don't have any problems with co-ops that do school pictures, yearbooks, and graduations for high school students.  I do think it is quite silly to add Kindergarteners to the graduation, though.  They can be part of the school pictures and yearbook, but the graduation part is overkill. 

I'm also the person who thinks most ceremonies are ridiculous and pointless.  Cap and gown's are even more dumb.  Why can't people just wear a nice outfit for their graduation?  Why do we all have to look collectively the same?  It's ridiculous.

You know, I keep reading things like "It's not an accomplishment so it shouldn't be celebrated" and..I take your point, but for a that particular 5 year old it might feel like an accomplishment. I think each kid has every right to feel proud of all he or she learned throughout the year. We have always had a little party at the end of our homeschool 'year' with ice cream and a hike. I work my kids hard and they should be proud.  It at least merits an ice cream cone, lol.

Heck, staying alive isn't that difficult for my kids, but we still have birthday parties. Getting born isn't exactly an accomplishment, not like they had anything to do with it or say about it.

They are only 5 or 6, it might feel like they did something worthwhile. That seems like a better option than telling them they accomplished nothing, is all I am saying.

I am sure this thread will now be flooded with people telling me that kindergarten was a complete waste of time for their little darling :svengo: And for that I am sorry. It's good to keep a little wonder at the small joys of life for as long as possible.  It gets so boring so quickly

I'm down with the ice cream cone!  I can find any reason to get one of those, including just getting up in the morning!  :laugh:

As for being born, every birthday my kids are reminded that this day should be my day, because I am the one who endured the pain, suffering, and soon-to-be sleepless nights so they could live.  I should be the one getting pampered, but alas, I will be the humble Mommy that I am and let them enjoy the day for themselves.  ;)

I still remember my kindergarten graduation. It was in the 70s and the teacher was sensible, so it wasn't anything like the pinterest paloozas being described in this thread.

We wore our Sunday best, sang two songs that we had practiced, lined up to shake hands with the teacher politely and receive our certificates, and had some cake and punch.

I miss the 70s.

• Like 2

Haven't read all replies - if I understand the OP correctly, both kindergarteners and high schoolers would "graduate" at the same event?

If so, I feel the K graduation antics would devalue the true accomplishment of the seniors. A promotion celebration without the mini-pomp-and-circumstance would be more appropriate. Save the gowns, mortarboards and diplomas for those who've earned them.

• Like 3

In UK terms, it's just really, really odd. Brits don't graduate from any school. We graduate from university. We 'leave' all the others.

Me too in NZ. Although I have noticed a few things creeping in like leaving dinners and yearbooks. Basically you finish preschool the day before or the day of your fifth birthday (preschools will do a happy song and happy birthday though) and start school the next day, then you leave primary and leave intermdiatschooldaysintermdiate high school. The first graduation ceremony is after you get a degree.

I wouldn't stop them if others were doing it but I would think it pretty stupid.

• Like 1

You know, I keep reading things like "It's not an accomplishment so it shouldn't be celebrated" and..I take your point, but for a that particular 5 year old it might feel like an accomplishment. I think each kid has every right to feel proud of all he or she learned throughout the year. We have always had a little party at the end of our homeschool 'year' with ice cream and a hike. I work my kids hard and they should be proud. It at least merits an ice cream cone, lol.

I am sure this thread will now be flooded with people telling me that kindergarten was a complete waste of time for their little darling :svengo: And for that I am sorry. It's good to keep a little wonder at the small joys of life for as long as possible. It gets so boring so quickly

No one is saying someone can't take their kid out for ice cream and tell them what a great job they did.

• Like 1

Because it's WRONG! The Hive has spoken.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sometimes it's hard to figure out which topics will get such strong responses -- and this is one of the topics that seems like a complete non-issue to me. If you think it's cute, let your kid participate. If not, it's no big deal. Do something else with your kid that day.

But it seems like at least a few people have very strong feelings against them and I don't understand why it's such a big deal. Even if they don't do kindy graduations where they are from, why would they care if others enjoyed them and thought they would be great fun for their children? It's not like there is any inherent harm in having a kindergarten graduation.

• Like 1

No one is saying someone can't take their kid out for ice cream and tell them what a great job they did.

I didn't say anyone did. I was simply commenting on the comments like 'kindergarten isn't an achievement'. I was just feeling sorry for the poor imaginary 5 year olds.  :lol:

• Like 1

I think such things are mainly for the parents as I figure most kindergarteners couldn't care less. However, that said, I think kids DO care about not doing something 'everyone else' in the class is doing.

So, if the cost is not an issue (I think it's a silly way to spend $30 dollars but ymmv) and your child wants to do it, has siblings in other grades doing it, or would be aware of missing out if s/he didn't do it, I would participate. Otherwise, I would let it go and have a fun night at home

Oh, for your poll, I'd have to have selected other: I think it unnecessary and would rather not participate, but would feel conflicted if the others decided to do it and it meant my child would be left out.

:iagree:  Well, darn. If i had seen this before I posted, I just would have hit like and agreed. She said it much better than I did - and with fewer words.

So why would a cute little ceremony along with their classmates be a problem? :confused:

A nice little party would be much more appropriate than having little children put on real caps and gowns, which are supposed to actually mean something. There's nothing wrong with a celebration to mark a passage in time, but why the caps and gowns? The children have absolutely no idea what they mean - and apparently the adults organizing these silly events don't either.

• Like 2

I wasn't able to answer your poll because my general opinion about kindy graduations and my opinion about the scenario you described don't match.

It doesn't sound like a graduation gown worthy event in your situation, and sounds a bit over the top and silly.  

In a general sense, if a place had K-grad ceremonies I would expect the school would just have the gowns and the kids would be doing it as a big group (but just themselves), not as part of a large school event (and that would be very cute, IMO).  Great parent photo op thing.  

It would not occur to a 5/6yo that there should be a ceremony for his completion of KG, unless someone told him this.

Not having a graduation ceremony complete with cap'n'gown does not equal "telling them they accomplished nothing."  The big accomplishments of that general age often occur outside of school.  Riding a bike!  Reading their first little book!  Tying their shoes!  Whistling!  Picking out a piano tune!  Learning to swim!  Pumping their own swing!  Now that's important stuff.  ;)

KG isn't a self-contained "accomplishment" anyway.  Kids don't get "done" learning to read/spell/compute in June.  The only thing they get done with (temporarily) is the stress of having to get up in the morning and go face people who can be difficult to please.  Or, if they loved KG, they are just going to be sad about missing their teacher/friends.

And for homeschoolers, isn't it even more nebulous to define what was accomplished in KG?  Wouldn't the answer be vastly different from child to child?

Of course, kids are happy for any excuse to get lots of attention and goodies.  No problem.  So, why don't we have a party when kids learn to ride a bike, swim, tie shoes, skip, read their first little book, etc?

And, why doesn't it make more sense to make a fuss when the kids *begin* KG?  (Actually, in my kids' present school, they make a big fuss on the opening day of school for the KG kids.  The kids in their final year (8th grade) do some special thing with the new kindergarteners.  My kids started there in 1st, so I don't know all the details, but it sounds sweet.  And much more meaningful.  I think there are similar traditions in other countries for the first day of KG or 1st grade.

• Like 1

I answered the poll before I read the specifics.  I voted that it's cute but not important, and that I'd probably have my kids participate.  But, I've changed my mind.  If there were more little kids, and we were renting the cap/gowns (for less than $10), and it was all about them, that would be one thing.  There's no way I'd pay so much for a cap and gown, especially in this situation where there will also be real high graduate(s) in the same ceremony.  

I'm off to change my vote.

A nice little party would be much more appropriate than having little children put on real caps and gowns, which are supposed to actually mean something. There's nothing wrong with a celebration to mark a passage in time, but why the caps and gowns? The children have absolutely no idea what they mean - and apparently the adults organizing these silly events don't either.

Because the caps and gowns look cute, and because many kids love dressing up in special costumes. :D

Why does a cap and gown have to "mean something?"

I am amazed at how seriously some people are taking this. It's a group of 5 and 6 year-olds putting on little costumes and having a fun ceremony. Just because some little kids wear caps and gowns to their kindergarten graduation doesn't mean that anyone is equating a kindy graduation with the significance of a high school or college graduation.

Kindergarten graduations are all about having fun and taking pictures and having a little party. I can't imagine seeing anything wrong with that.

• Like 1

Because the caps and gowns look cute, and because many kids love dressing up in special costumes. :D

Why does a cap and gown have to "mean something?"

I am amazed at how seriously some people are taking this. It's a group of 5 and 6 year-olds putting on little costumes and having a fun ceremony. Just because some little kids wear caps and gowns to their kindergarten graduation doesn't mean that anyone is equating a kindy graduation with the significance of a high school or college graduation.

Kindergarten graduations are all about having fun and taking pictures and having a little party. I can't imagine seeing anything wrong with that.

I think what really rubs me the wrong way is that some people are dictating to others that they must pay $$ for their kids to do this frivolous thing.  (Because personally, making my kid sit out while her classmates "graduate" would not be an option.)  Whoever decided that is being quite insensitive and bull-headed IMO.  Why wasn't the matter decided jointly by the parents of the 3 KG kids, especially if they were going to get stuck with the bill?

I have no problem with people wanting to make a fuss with or without costumes, but I don't believe the kids would care if they didn't have a KG graduation.  Some said it's more for the parents than for the kids, and I agree, except that in this case, it's more about one specific parent who wants to do this whether others want it or not.

I think what really rubs me the wrong way is that some people are dictating to others that they must pay $$ for their kids to do this frivolous thing. (Because personally, making my kid sit out while her classmates "graduate" would not be an option.) Whoever decided that is being quite insensitive and bull-headed IMO. Why wasn't the matter decided jointly by the parents of the 3 KG kids, especially if they were going to get stuck with the bill?

I have no problem with people wanting to make a fuss with or without costumes, but I don't believe the kids would care if they didn't have a KG graduation. Some said it's more for the parents than for the kids, and I agree, except that in this case, it's more about one specific parent who wants to do this whether others want it or not.

I agree with you -- I definitely don't think they are necessary, and in a small homeschooling group, it would seem reasonable to let the parents decide whether or not it was something most of them wanted to do. Also, if there was any chance that any family would have a problem with the $30 cap and gown rental, they could have easily found a cheaper option or even had the kids make their own little caps and not bothered with the gowns at all. The homemade caps would be very sweet, and the kids would get to keep them after the ceremony.

I'm just surprised that there are people who seem adamantly against the idea of a kindergarten graduation -- I guess it seems like such a small and silly little thing that is all about having a little bit of fun, so it wouldn't have occurred to me that anyone would object.

I'm just surprised that there are people who seem adamantly against the idea of a kindergarten graduation -- I guess it seems like such a small and silly little thing that is all about having a little bit of fun, so it wouldn't have occurred to me that anyone would object.

As I said - it's just odd to me.  But if it's about dressing up, then great: have them dress up as nurses or police officers or university graduates or Pokemon - whatever the individual child wants.  It's a fancy dress day.  

If it was going on my child's school, I would go along with it because I wouldn't want them to feel left out.  But, for me, a cap and gown has a specific meaning, and you don't get to wear it in a ceremony until you've worked hard for another fifteen years.  

• Like 1

I had a kindergarten graduation in the late 80s. I wasn't ruined and I still remember it. I didn't think It was the equivalent of graduating high school or expect more of them. I think they are cute. I like little celebrations as my kids hit certain stages. I don't over praise or want participation trophies for them but I was fine with the kindergarten graduation.

• Like 1

I think it's very silly and not really cute.  My son went to a one-day-a-week preschool and they had a cap and gown graduation.  I thought it was so stupid.  Maybe it was because I was embarrassed to be the only mom not filming the "ceremony."  LOL, it didn't occur to me to take a camera.

That said, I didn't, and wouldn't, keep my kid out of it, unless there was an unreasonable cost to it.

it really isn't that big a deal to me, but I do think there are some things that are reserved for certain occasions.  Graduation is simply not for kindy.  

ETA:  I also sometimes think too much is made of high school graduation.  Most US kids graduate from high school.  (Well, I don't know the statistics, but it's a typical thing, not unusual.)  It's a rite of passage but not a particularly stunning achievement for most people.

OP here.  I understand what some of you are saying about how it is good to praise kids for finishing a school year.  I get that.  However, as I said in the OP, there will be an end-of-the-year program in which every class will get up and perform a song (or do a skit or present a slideshow, etc).  So, the kindergarten kids will get up with their class (a mix of K & 1st) and sing a song and get applauded.  There is already recognition in place to  celebrate the end of the year for ALL the students in the coop, including a dinner after the program. 

What they're doing this year is adding a kindergarten graduation ceremony to the end of the program.  So after all the class performances, the K-ers will march forward and get special recognition.  That's what I have an issue with.  Have they done anything to receive MORE praise than the first graders who share their class?  or the third graders who also finished a school year?  This isn't the right time and place for such an event.  In general, I find Kindergarten graduations silly, but as part of a whole coop event, to give them special recognition seems wrong.

The woman who organizes our coop does a great job, and I appreciate the work she puts into it.  We really enjoy most aspects of the coop.  As a leader, you're never going to be able to please everyone all the time, and this happens to be one of those times.  It's not a knickers-twisted, panties-wadded kind of deal, but dh and I decided that dd would not participate in the K graduation.  She'll still get her time on stage and recognition for finishing the year, but she'll remain with the rest of her class (the 1st graders) during the K graduation part.

• Like 2