Menu

Neighbor boy and his dirt bike

anneinco

It's a beautiful day in Washington and we are outside getting a lot of work done, enjoying the peace and quiet. I knew it was only a matter of time, before the neighbor boy (12 years old) was out on his dirt bike. I can't stand the noise or the damage it does to the road. 10 mins later, there he was...

Here is the situation. We live at the end of a private road. Six properties touch the road, four of them have drives on the road. This particular family's drive is on the next private road over, however their property is not fenced and he rides on their property and up and down our road.

I feel like a jerk, but I don't want him on our road. We maintain it. The other neighbor whose drive is down at the end near us, has offered to help with the cost of gravel. The other two drives are at the top of the road. However, it is more the noise to me. I like it quiet when I am outside. If he was on a bicycle, I would not mind he riding back and forth.

I am not even sure what I am looking for here... Validation that I am right? I feel he should be tearing up and down his road (but I have a feeling it is not as maintained). Someone to tell me to just get over it and deal with the noise? My husband is even more fed up and I told him he had to talk to the parents this time, cause the last couple conversations have been with the boy.

We live on a private gravel road and there are kids that live nearby that drove a dune buggy on our road a few times. I didn't hesitate to go out and tell them it was a private road and they were not allowed to do so. I guess I'm a big meanie, but they made ruts in the gravel and were loud. I am the last house on the road, the only one on the circle. It is mine to maintain and I set the rules for who is on it. That is what private road means.

• Like 7

This boy gets injured on your property, you're responsible for it, aren't you?

I don't know how that applies to a private road shared with several houses, but it seems to me that that argument, in and of itself, is all the excuse you need to go to his parents and ask them to keep him off your private road.

• Like 6

Does his riding create big ruts that cause drainage or erosion issues? That might be something to make s complaint about, but I'm not sure to whom.

I would be profoundly irritated too. If you are a 'jerk,' then I am right there with you, lol.

Rereading your post, I see boy is on a different private road from yours, right? I would make sure the people on my private road were on board and call police on issue of trespassing, perhaps noise also. Is you road marked private in whatever signage is required?

Not sure I'm picturing this right, but if the private road is gravel, wouldn't there be a cost to replenishing gravel if kid is scattering it? Maddening.

• Like 1

I agree with you. I would have a talk with the parents. It should be fairly easy to stop him from riding on your road.

My beef is with SeaDoos. I hate the things. Unfortunately, they are actually legal. The constant buzzing is infuriating. Then, there is the point that 90% of the time they are being operated in an illegal manner. Of course, that is not when the lake police are around. Those guys get spotted and all rules are followed. They aren't around all that much, so the illegal/dangerous operation (too close to the dock, jumping wake behind boat/especially when towing a skier, circling/spraying someone in the water).

• Like 1

On your side of things: if his bike is damaging a road that you're responsible for maintaining, then it's very reasonable to ask his parents not to let him ride on it (or contribute to the maintenance.)

It sounds like you live in a fairly rural area. Have you always lived in a rural area?  I've found that conflicts tend to be generated when people from the city or suburbs move to the country, bringing  city/suburban values with them. An expectation of quiet is one of them (along with no animals roaming on one's property, people not walking across your property, and some others) . Riding dirt bikes is what country boys do.

So on the other side of things, I don't think your desire for quiet trumps his desire to ride his dirt bike where you can hear him. However, I think it's fine to talk with his parents to arrange a compromise about the noise. Maybe there is a time when you especially cherish the quiet and he could agree not to ride then. But his choices are going to be after-school hours (assuming he's not homeschooled) and weekends. You get all day during school hours noise free already.  He can be asked to give a little and you can give a little.

• Like 5

I'm totally with you.  Get that kid and his bike off your road. 

The kids ride 4 wheelers and a doon buggy up and down our, non-private, road all summer and it drives me mad (it's not that they go by, they just go back and forth and back and forth, endlessly).  There have been days when I've wished we hadn't bought the property.  If the road was private, you bet I'd run him off and talk to his parents, and call the police if he came back.

You need to consult someone familiar with the laws and ordinances of your own jurisdiction. Laws vary regarding what 'private road' means.

Also, Do you have a HOA? That could provide a pretty easy way to restrict this activity.

Can you install a gate or speed bumps along the road? Would this require the support of all homes on the private road? Or a majority? That Could also provide some solution.

Look into noise ordinances that apply locally. If your noise ordinances are insufficient, is there the political will to modify them? Some communities actually ban motor bikes. Do you think the community would support that?

Even if you are able to keep him off your private road, that may only be a half solution if he is just going to ride on his own property or public roads. You will still hear it, and I feel for you, I would go mad listening to that!!

• Like 1

You MUST first have a conversation with the parents. Give them a chance. Posting signs, calling authorities, and videotaping the child are escalations that are unnecessary if the parents take care of the problem. If nobody has complained to them, they think nobody minds.

• Like 7

On your side of things: if his bike is damaging a road that you're responsible for maintaining, then it's very reasonable to ask his parents not to let him ride on it (or contribute to the maintenance.)

It sounds like you live in a fairly rural area. Have you always lived in a rural area?  I've found that conflicts tend to be generated when people from the city or suburbs move to the country, bringing  city/suburban values with them. An expectation of quiet is one of them (along with no animals roaming on one's property, people not walking across your property, and some others) . Riding dirt bikes is what country boys do.

So on the other side of things, I don't think your desire for quiet trumps his desire to ride his dirt bike where you can hear him. However, I think it's fine to talk with his parents to arrange a compromise about the noise. Maybe there is a time when you especially cherish the quiet and he could agree not to ride then. But his choices are going to be after-school hours (assuming he's not homeschooled) and weekends. You get all day during school hours noise free already.  He can be asked to give a little and you can give a little.

This.  Riding dirt bikes is what country boys do.  They ride them, maintain them, work on the motors, and keep spark plugs in their pockets.  They free-range on the land, build jumps and tracks, and get to know every bit of the land - where it is wet, where the soil is loose, where there are hills and valleys, how it changes through the seasons.  When they are older, they will be riding and maintaining tractors and other farm equipment, and/or working outdoors on large tracts of land.  Dirt bikes are to country boys as, say, pretend play is to future authors/actors, or LEGO construction is to future engineers.   Just keep that in mind when trying to come up with a solution that works for both your family and the bike riders.  You have legitimate concerns about the road, the noise (at inappropriate times), and perhaps possible safety issues.  Focus on these and be careful to understand that you will be more successful if your goal is to find a win-win solution rather than to eliminate the bike riding entirely.

• Like 2

It sounds like you live in a fairly rural area. Have you always lived in a rural area? I've found that conflicts tend to be generated when people from the city or suburbs move to the country, bringing city/suburban values with them. An expectation of quiet is one of them (along with no animals roaming on one's property, people not walking across your property, and some others) . Riding dirt bikes is what country boys do.

So on the other side of things, I don't think your desire for quiet trumps his desire to ride his dirt bike where you can hear him. However, I think it's fine to talk with his parents to arrange a compromise about the noise. Maybe there is a time when you especially cherish the quiet and he could agree not to ride then. But his choices are going to be after-school hours (assuming he's not homeschooled) and weekends. You get all day during school hours noise free already. He can be asked to give a little and you can give a little.

Even if riding dirt bikes is what country boys do, that doesn't mean they are entitled to do it on someone else's property.

• Like 15

This. Riding dirt bikes is what country boys do. They ride them, maintain them, work on the motors, and keep spark plugs in their pockets. They free-range on the land, build jumps and tracks, and get to know every bit of the land - where it is wet, where the soil is loose, where there are hills and valleys, how it changes through the seasons. When they are older, they will be riding and maintaining tractors and other farm equipment, and/or working outdoors on large tracts of land. Dirt bikes are to country boys as, say, pretend play is to future authors/actors, or LEGO construction is to future engineers. Just keep that in mind when trying to come up with a solution that works for both your family and the bike riders. You have legitimate concerns about the road, the noise (at inappropriate times), and perhaps possible safety issues. Focus on these and be careful to understand that you will be more successful if your goal is to find a win-win solution rather than to eliminate the bike riding entirely.

I didn't get the impression that Anne would be upset if the kid was riding on his own street or on his parents' property, but that she feels he shouldn't be riding on her private road.

I think people may be talking about two different issues here.

Grew up country and agree about dirt bikes and four wheelers. However, respecting other people's property is also very country. I wouldn't hesitiate to tell him to keep his dirt bike off my property.

He can ride it all he wants. On his family property or with permission of other property owners.

It doesn't matter if it damages your road or not. It doesn't matter if it is loud or quiet. Your property = your permission or it's trespass.

Of course double check the laws of the land in your area and make sure you have covered your end of responsibility on the matter. A good policy to do before anything comes up anyways.

I don't think you are being a jerk. But being a jerk is your prerogative on your own property.

• Like 9

It's a beautiful day in Washington and we are outside getting a lot of work done, enjoying the peace and quiet. I knew it was only a matter of time, before the neighbor boy (12 years old) was out on his dirt bike. I can't stand the noise or the damage it does to the road. 10 mins later, there he was...

Here is the situation. We live at the end of a private road. Six properties touch the road, four of them have drives on the road. This particular family's drive is on the next private road over, however their property is not fenced and he rides on their property and up and down our road.

I feel like a jerk, but I don't want him on our road. We maintain it. The other neighbor whose drive is down at the end near us, has offered to help with the cost of gravel. The other two drives are at the top of the road. However, it is more the noise to me. I like it quiet when I am outside. If he was on a bicycle, I would not mind he riding back and forth.

I am not even sure what I am looking for here... Validation that I am right? I feel he should be tearing up and down his road (but I have a feeling it is not as maintained). Someone to tell me to just get over it and deal with the noise? My husband is even more fed up and I told him he had to talk to the parents this time, cause the last couple conversations have been with the boy.

Even if riding dirt bikes is what country boys do, that doesn't mean they are entitled to do it on someone else's property.

I quite agree!

I didn't get the impression that Anne would be upset if the kid was riding on his own street or on his parents' property, but that she feels he shouldn't be riding on her private road.

I got the impression that the OP was more concerned about the noise, which might be a factor even when the boy is on his own property?  I think the private road issues are legit, and the noise if it's at inappropriate hours, but if he sticks to his own land and/or public roads, then the OP is probably going to have to suck it up regarding the noise.  (Unless, of course, there are local regulations regarding noise and/or the use of dirt bikes by under-age kids.)

(Another thought - if the road damage is the main issue, the OP could ask the boy and his family to repair any damage he leaves, which might also be a useful outlet for boy-energy OR discourage the boy from using the road instead of his own.)

• Like 1

From the description in the OP, it sounded to me as if the boy's parents' land backs up to the OP's road, but that it doesn't have a driveway on her road. (ie their property runs between two roads, one of which is the OP's)  She said the noise is what bothered her most. If the land is the way I understand it to be, he could be riding on his parents' property and still making noise that she will be able to hear on her land. I agreed with her about any damage to the road, but thought she should compromise about the noise.

• Like 1

Check out your local laws.  Where I live, if you don't assert that your road is private, and it falls into general use, it can be deemed public and taken by the local civic authorities, but they are not necessarily obligated to maintain it.  It's a horrible catch 22, and maybe this kid has done you a favor in getting you tuned into this question before it is too late.

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies. I am glad to see so many who understand and who have been there.

Some wear and tear to the road, we can tell when he has been riding. But nothing that does not get fixed when we drag the road. I think it comes down to our road being that much nicer than his, but that is because we maintain ours. The road is only 1/10 mile or so and he is not using all of it, so he is back and forth.

I need to research what private road in this county really entails, especially since when it hits our property, it is an easement on our land until the last neighbors driveway, then it is an easement on their land until our driveway.

I did grow up in the city, but I get a country boy and his toys. If his drive was on this road, there would not be much I could say, but it bugs me when he chooses to use our road, which is same in length as the one he lives on. I get that even if he stayed on his property/his road, that there would still be noise, but the noise would not be going back and forth on 1-2 sides of my property. It does make a difference when he stays on the front 1/2 of the road up to his property. It is easier to drown out when you don't see them going back and forth (them being when sibling/cousin -up to 3 bikes).

It is time to talk to the parents. This all really started last summer. He was using one of our driveways (tearing it up) as a turnaround, and was asked to stop. He was speeding along both sides of our property and then along the edge of another neighbors (officially trespassing) and my husband asked him to slow down. When that didn't happen, he was asked not to ride on our road. I told my husband then, that the next conversation had to be with the parents. As soon as he saw my husband today, he stopped.

Can't really put in speed bumps or a gate.

He is in school so right now, it's not an issue. I just thought of this due to to the nice weather and that he was also out enjoying it. Come summer, he is home most of the time and last summer rode daily it seemed.

• Like 3

Is your road also an easement on his parents' property?

Good question. I would have to look to be sure. I am 99.9% sure it is not. If it follows same layout, which I know it doesn't always, then no... I vaguely remember them having their property lines marked two years ago and from what I remember, it does not cross the road. It lines up with where ours does onthe easement (they are across the road, and down a property from us).

You MUST first have a conversation with the parents. Give them a chance. Posting signs, calling authorities, and videotaping the child are escalations that are unnecessary if the parents take care of the problem. If nobody has complained to them, they think nobody minds.

This. 

Too may to quote and reply to but wanted to make sure I addressed this... Parents first... That should take care of it. I just wanted to make sure I am 'in the right' before I say something.

Although, this thread was on my mind when I was talking to another neighbor (to the east, whether the others are to the west) who is not on my road.... She has blocked off a path through her property with no trespassing sign and has talked to the family who was trespassing (they had permission from previous owner). They are still doing it, even with her talking to the family numerous times. This is when it is time for further action.

• Like 2

Check out your local laws. Where I live, if you don't assert that your road is private, and it falls into general use, it can be deemed public and taken by the local civic authorities, but they are not necessarily obligated to maintain it. It's a horrible catch 22, and maybe this kid has done you a favor in getting you tuned into this question before it is too late.

Agree. English common law deals with roads/paths that are used by the public with permission of the owners, but are not rights of way. The paths/roads are closed on one day each year in order to maintain the private ownership. I think there is a street in NYC like this, but for the life of me, I cannot remember which one.

It can also be important in signage to indicate if pedestrians are permitted, but not vehicles. Whatever the local law says.

• Like 1

Check out your local laws. Where I live, if you don't assert that your road is private, and it falls into general use, it can be deemed public and taken by the local civic authorities, but they are not necessarily obligated to maintain it. It's a horrible catch 22, and maybe this kid has done you a favor in getting you tuned into this question before it is too late.

The road sign at the corner does state it as a private road.

We have taught our daughter that private road means do not go on it unless you have business to be there. It is tricky because their property does border our road. They use it to come to our property (more so the daughter to visit my daughter, the boy to get/annoy his sister and daughter). Same as my daughter has used their road to visit a friend (before she had permission to cut across the property as they were the other property that touches our road but does not have a drive on it.)

If your husband asked him not to ride on your road and he still does, I would go to his parents next. 

I grew up in the country and have only lived in a city briefly after getting married. Dirt bikes weren't part of my experience or anyone I knew, although in this area dune buggies are more popular with kids. No matter though, they don't have the right to trespass and if you ask him to stop he needs to respect that. I hate noise. I would hate having a dirt bike riding neighbor. Like you, if his house was on my road, I would recognize there was nothing I could do about it, although I might still ask his parents to keep him away from my house (since I'm on the end, that would be possible). However, since this kid's house fronts another road, even if it backs to yours, you do not have to accommodate his dirt bike. You will still have to listen to it, but at least not on your road.

I would check carefully that even though their house does not have a driveway on the easement they might still have the easement listed on their deed.  I know that is common here where a piece of property has 2 options legally for a driveway and they just pick one.  It depends on how the original deeds were drawn up as to if they have legal right to access the drive or not.

That said, that is exactly why we did NOT buy a house with a private drive.  WAY too many issues with easements, etc.

We are rural though and very thankful that our neighbors let us ride our horses through their property and others allow them to ride their quads/dirtbikes through there. We try to be very respectful though.  My son and his friend had permission from the neighbor at our old house to ride dirtbikes on 20 of his 40 acres.  Dirtbikes are a way of life country kids.