Menu

Possible short-term transfer to Europe- 3 months - Experiences?

TheDairyQueen

My husband came home from work the other day to tell some pretty exciting (but crazy) news. He might be transferred to Europe (from the US) for three months. 

This is one of those crazy once-in-a-lifetime things for us. We've always wanted to go to Europe, but it's never been in our budget. Now we are possibly looking at the chance. I'm having trouble finding info- most things I find are for people who are there for just a few weeks, or are moving there permanently. 

It would be Germany. None of us speak German. We do not have a time frame-- all we know if it happens, it would be within a year. Most likely, he's guessing, it would possibly be around the summer months. Oddly enough, my sister in law (his sister) lives in Germany, but she'd be about 5 hours away from us, but it would still be nice. 

We would be on the southeast side on Germany- so closer to Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Switzerland, Czech Republic, rather than the UK, Denmark, etc. Our plans would be to travel as much as feasible while there-- this would probably be our only chance for a very long time. SO, during the week, we'd stay in our house in Germany, and the weekends we would travel either by car, plane or train to where ever we can get. Of course, if we get tired of big travels, we'll stay close to home some weekends.

Our kids would be 9 and 11 at the time.

Has anyone ever done something like this before? Lived in a country longer than a vacation, but shorter than becoming a resident? Would we have to worry about anti-homeschooling laws if we were there for three months?

I'd love any experiences-- or just even any places in the more Eastern parts of Europe that you know, love or heard that other people love.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Wow! What an opportunity! I'm jealous!!

I wouldn't worry about the homeschooling laws there. They wouldn't apply to your family.

I have gone back to Germany twice with my eldest, and she went to school (some of the days) with her cousins. They seem quite accommodating. Not that yours would automatially want to experience school there. I was just saying, it was fun for her as it's so different. And a great experience.

So excited for you!

• Like 1

First, start saving now.  

Second, get a travel book or two and decide what you want to see.  Three months sounds like a long time, but it won't be enough to really see everything.  Also decide if you want to see things quickly or experience things.  Personally, I would rather experience things, but that means you will see less. 

Third, consider traveling without your husband during the week to see more. 

Fourth, consider pulling things into your schooling that will benefit from see them.  Renaissance art for Florence, for example.  World Wars if want to see any of the battle sites and such.  

• Like 2

With so much to see, and so little time, added into that the age of your children -- don't try to do it all.  Just don't.

Younger kids get very tired of being dragged from church to church and castle to castle.  So, while it might be wonderful for you to spend hours looking at art & architecture -- the vast majority of kids will tune out pretty quickly.  There is nothing like having to cajole whiny kids through various exhibits.  Do less, but do it WELL.

From where you sound like you'll be in Germany, you can get to a lot of places within a fairly easy day's drive.  We will be leaving after my husband gets home from work on a Friday and driving about 8 hours, car-camping (which is done throughout Europe, but I know Germany/Italy it's done a lot), and going to sight see during the day, get some rest and drive back on Sunday.  We do this, because two hotel rooms add up really fast.  There are LOTS of camping places throughout Europe, though -- some with "cabins" (small trailers), so it's not too difficult to do some things on the cheap.  I don't recommend most of the Hostel places with small kids (most of the ones I've found are public bunk rooms).  RyanAir has CHEAP flights (pack very light), and kids are half-price.  If you can plan far enough ahead, you could fly to Lisbon for under $300 for the four of you.  Lisbon is beautiful, and very easy to navigate on the hop-on-hop-off buses (24 hour ticket), and the train system is very simple, too).

Things your kids might like?  Sights from the Sound of Music in Austria/Germany. Paris & Normandy -- go to Pont du Hoc ..., the kids will enjoy traipsing around the bomb site.  There is a good museum there, too.  Stop at some small villages, and just walk around.  You really get a sense of the culture this way.  Taste the chocolate in different countries, experience a meal... breakfast is very different in these European countries.  There is a ton in Italy.  Venice -- just going to Venice is an experience all in itself.  There are free exhibits, and some paid.  You don't have to do the Gondola ride (expensive) to have a good time.  It is very easy to drive or take the train into Venice.  Verona isn't far from Venice -- and Verona has a Roman Amphitheater still used today for live Opera, which plays during the warmer months.  You could stay in Verona, and take the train to Venice another day. (it's really pretty easy to do -- especially since Venice is the end of the line ;)  -- there is a lot to see/do in southern Italy as well, but you would really need to fly. Driving in southern Italy is not for the faint of heart.  Oh, and GET to AAA and get an international driver's license.  It's cheap and easy to do.  There is something to see everywhere you go.

Whatever you do, don't rush through something to get to something else.  Take your time to enjoy where you will be.  

As far as homeschooling goes -- you will want to ask someone else to be certain.  I don't think you'd be in Europe long enough to have to worry about it. They don't go around looking for homeschooling families who are in their country on a temporary status (at 3 months, I don't think you're even required to get a VISA). We're here under the SOFA agreement (Status of Forces), so those laws don't apply to us.  Someone in your husband's office would probably know.

• Like 3

The U.S. tax laws are something you must have an I.R.S. Enrolled Agent, or a C.P.A. with experience with clients who have worked overseas, investigate thoroughly.

The U.S. is one of 2 countries in the world that taxes citizens on their worldwide income. The other country is in Africa

You would not be overseas long enough to qualify for the exemption from U.S. Income Tax.

You might be subject to taxation by both the German and U.S. governments.

The U.S. Dollar recently became very strong so that will help you, but you will probably find everything is very expensive in Europe.

I suggest that you investigate thoroughly, have his company pay all of his expenses and have his company pay any extra taxes that will be due.

You will have a great time, if you can protect yourselves from a tax disaster!.

• Like 2

Sounds like a great time to do a lot of history and art studies, reading tied into the areas you will visit, and less of other topics. A three-month field trip!  And I agree, do not just travel and go places on the weekends, explore locally during the week, with or without Dad along, just as you would at home.

• Like 1

You do not need to worry about homeschooling. You would simply be vacationing during your kids' school break in the US  :-)

Our situation is slightly different since we are originally from Germany, but while living in the US, we have done a semester Sabbatical in Germany and several month+ stays. You will get around fine using English. Most young people speak and are eager to practice their conversation skills.

There are so many wonderful places to see, and trains are easy. I highly recommend that you visit Dresden, one of the most beautiful cities. Prague, too.

Have fun! Where exactly would you be?

• Like 5

I have been "dream planning" a family trip to Germany for years, so I am more than a little jealous!

If I were you, I'd skip "formal schooling" as much as possible. Most regions offer Family Passes for a very reasonable price that allow entrance into castles and museums. Many places are also free for kids under 18. The train system is very good.

Let's see, are a few things that are on my list (some depend on time of year):

A Viehscheid festival - sorting of the cows in August or September

Castle river cruise (KD river cruises) and overnight in the Bacharach castle youth hostel

Gutenburg museum in Mainz

Schwarzwald (black forest)

Erfurt, Eislaben, Augsburg, Wittenberg (Family history)

Botterode - summer luge

Baumkronen - tree top walk

Leipzig - St. Thomas Church, Stasi museum

Berlin Wall

Of course the Neuschwanstein Castle, Weiskirche, and Rothenburg ob der Tauber/Dinkelsbuhl (esp. Christmas markets)

Oberammergau

Depending on children, I'd visit WWII sights

Outside Germany:

Prague

Vienna

Torun, Poland (family history and Copernicus)

Oh I do hope you can go and tell us all about it!

• Like 2

I agree you don't need to worry about homeschooling.  No one there will care for such a short time.  If it's during your school year I'd keep up with math and reading/writing, but other than that, I'd focus on being in Europe.  Do check into the benefits you'd get from dh's employer.  I think this would be perfect because you can settle into a routine, you'll have a home base from which to explore Europe, and three months is just a long vacation.  You won't need to take tons of stuff.  

One thing I've learned is that it's better for us to take fewer longer trips and focus more on exploring right around us.  There's always way too much to see and it's pleasant to not exhaust yourself with traveling.

• Like 3

I take it you won't have much money for travel while there?  I think in that case, I would shift my focus from seeing the sites in Europe to experiencing a new culture.  I would start saving now so that we could take a few spectacular weekend non-camping trips (the trip might turn out to be during the winter) but I would assume that the bulk of the trips would be not too far away and would involve camp grounds.  I've traveled in Euorpe with my children.  Think great pasteries for breakfast while your children run around the fountain, yummy bread and cheese picnics someplace with a view (like the grounds of the local castle), icecream cones while you wander along a medieval street, or orangina in a cafĂƒÂ© while you watch the world go by and think about how the local cathedral was built.  Those are the things that will probably fit your budget rather than looking at Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower and braving the crowds to see the Mona Lisa and other more typical things.  We found that those things meant more to the children, also.  Our trip helped to bind our family together and give us great memories.  My children are all 20 or over now, and the things they remember from that trip are the time Dad paid several dollars to get into an exploding toilet (self-cleaning gone drastically wrong), the game of knock-over-the-stone we played after we explored an abandoned castle on a hill overlooking the Med, unlimited orangina, getting to choose from a wild assortment of pasteries every day, the time middle one discovered he didn't like tuttifruitti icecream, the time Dad got desperate and went behind a dumpster in the dark having stashed us safely under a streetlight and three guys all rushed in after him and we thought he was going to be mugged but it just turned out that they were similarly desperate, youngest almost tipping over the giant chicken egg in the Dali museum trying to see inside it, trying to fish oldest's hackysack out of a construction site, picking up bits of tile from a beach and knowing they could be very old indeed, wading in the Med, knocking over a cafĂƒÂ© board with the car mirror, the restaurant where the waiter suggested a nice rabbit cutlet for the picky youngest, etc.  All those historical plaques we read?  Nope.  It was the adventures and all the cultural differences that made an impression.  Fortuantely, those are cheap!  It cost nothing to walk up to that castle.  We wondered what all the little huts on the path up were and then it dawned on us that they faced different directions and were for the watchmen and we all got gooseflesh.  That puzzle was more enlightening than any of the plaques we read, and it stuck better, too.

Personally, I would use the opportunity to try to jump-start the aquisition of a second language.  I would alter my curriculum right now to be science (lightly), the skill subjects that need constant practice and can't be skipped - music and math, and then do lots of European history (brief background) and German, both in a formal way and in an "exposure" way.  I would teach the kids to draw (Draw Squad) and work on story-telling and get them used to writing and drawing in a journal before bed every night.  I would find some children's books about moving to another country and getting used to living there (Hitler and the Pink Rabbit comes to mind, and Habibi, but there are probably better choices).  I wouldn't present this to the children as something fun (because for them, it might not be) but I would present it as something we have to do for Daddy's work and a great adventure.  I would point out that adventures are uncomfortable and require courage, but that there will be wonderful things, too.  I'd try to find them some adventure stories to read, also.  Halliburton? Dinotopia?  Some of the Dinotopia books are written as adventure journals.  While we were in Europe, I'd try to arrange to put the children into a German school and have them keep a journal.  That's what I would do, anyway.  Some of this I did in order to prepare my own children for various travel trips.  This approach worked well.

Have a wonderful time!  I hope it all works out for you!

Nan

• Like 3

I don't think I'd worry too much about language, either your studying it or whether you'll be able to function without it.  Unless you have the full year to prepare, it's probably not really possible to learn that much before you go (you'll be rather busy for the next few months if you go in the summer), and you'll probably want to focus on other things besides language since you're there for such a short time.  I always think it's worth learning numbers, greetings and polite words no matter how long you'll be in a place, and it's worth learning about the food if possible.  It's much easier to walk into a restaurant if you can look at the menu and recognize some things, or if you know what street food will be available, or what the grocery stores will be like.  Three months is long enough that you have to figure out how to deal with daily life and food is a huge part of that.

• Like 1

Listen to Nan.

I would say similarly. I have taken my kids on international trips several times. There is just as much value in experiencing the local culture (which is so very, very different from your own) as there is in seeing the sights. Also, you will find that there are lots of smaller sights to see nearby.

For example, when we went to Edinburgh, of course we toured the castle and took some historical tours. We also saw some cathedrals.

However, my kids loved getting fish and chips at the local shop, visiting local church services, checking out the mysteriously different stock at the local grocery store, exploring the canals in the little town we stayed in, and playing at some small, obscure Roman ruins just ten minutes' drive from us. The Roman ruins were just the bare outline of the foundation for a tiny Roman outpost by Hadrian's wall. None of this is what people Go To Europe to do, but all of it was educational, fascinating, laid back, and really fun.

• Like 7

I did Pimsleur German language cd's (through lesson 30) from the library before our trip to Germany and found that really useful.  I think your children are probably too young to do them but they would be handy for you.  They cover very basic things like ordering in a restaurant, introducing people to your family, arranging to meet someone at a certain time, and how to ask for directions.  That and a dictionary were sufficient to go and live with a family that didn't speak English and tour around with them for a week.  I'm always wanting to give my children other languages, which is why I would focus on that aspect. : )  If your lack of German worries you, I would definitely try to get hold of those Pimsleur tapes.  It took me about 6 weeks to run through the first 30 lessons, working every day.  There is a reading portion that was expecially handy because it taught me how to pronounce place names and allowed me to use a dictionary effectively.  Since the cd's are oral and take a drill-and-kill approach, I was actually able to understand and speak the German I knew, unlike when I took French in school and could pretty much only read it.

Nan 

• Like 2

We did, a couple of times.  The goal was the language though, so I definitely emphasized that.  Every time we have gone to Europe (until they could speak a bit of German), I bought some German DVDs for them to watch ahead of time.  It helped a lot because they got used to hearing German all the time and it felt more familiar.

Once, dd went to school but that didn't work out really well.  The next time we homeschooled.  She swam with a team both times (worked much better than school for making friends, etc)

We rented a furnished apartment and a car (through Renault ? as a 3 month lease instead of a weekly rental - much cheaper, but you have to pick it up in France)  DH bought a train pass for work.

I wonder if you could find films or audiobooks in German at the library (or on YouTube) to give your kids a feel for the "sound" of German as well.

You might also check out a website called Slow Travel - there is a forum filled with ideas and blogs from people who like to "travel" by basically staying put in one place and exploring and experiencing a culture from there - pretty much what you would be doing.

Sorry - can't edit today so I have to keep adding more posts.

We found that many people spoke English in Germany, especially on the tourist path, so if you choose not to learn any German, you probably wil be ok.  Your children, even if you start now and put them in school for the whole three months you are in Germany, won't be fluent by the time you leave.  It will give them a great start, though, if you want to continue German as your foreign language, and with an aunt there, there may be occasions for them to go back and practise.   If you speak another, non-German language, don't forget to try that with people who don't speak English.  I have had a number of conversations with Germans in French.  None of us spoke French well but it was enough that we could have a conversation.  Don't forget playgrounds.  They are good places to practise language skills, both with other parents and for your children.  Even if it is the other parents and children who are practising their English, it allows an opportunity to talk to people and find out something about living in Germany.  : )

Nan

The U.S. tax laws are something you must have an I.R.S. Enrolled Agent, or a C.P.A. with experience with clients who have worked overseas, investigate thoroughly.

The U.S. is one of 2 countries in the world that taxes citizens on their worldwide income. The other country is in Africa

You would not be overseas long enough to qualify for the exemption from U.S. Income Tax.

You might be subject to taxation by both the German and U.S. governments.

The U.S. Dollar recently became very strong so that will help you, but you will probably find everything is very expensive in Europe.

I suggest that you investigate thoroughly, have his company pay all of his expenses and have his company pay any extra taxes that will be due.

You will have a great time, if you can protect yourselves from a tax disaster!.

FWIW, my husband's company does all of this for him - taxes for the appropriate countries he works in are taken out of his paycheck, along with any US taxes that apply. Income taxes are always the responsibility of the employee. The employer is only responsible for withholding the proper amounts.  It is not necessary to use a CPA unless you don't understand the explanation from the companies payroll department. We've never had a "tax disaster," but perhaps it is because my husband works for a US-based company that has offices around the world. They are very good about informing him of any impact his travels will have on his pay. 

One thing that does vary by company is the way that they will pay travel expenses. My husband has a per diem to cover meals when he travels. It varies by the destination. Sometimes he uses this per diem to shop at a grocery, other times he uses it to eat out, it's his to spend as he wishes. They also pay his round trip airfare for him only. If we travel with him, it is at our own expense (or we spend his frequent flier miles). They are a little flexible in that - he doesn't always take off/return from our hometown, occasionally he will meet us while we are on the road somewhere or leave for a trip at the end of vacation without coming home first.  You also need to be clear what in-town travel expenses they will pay for him. They may be willing to foot the bill for a rental car (if he wants to drive), but they may also only want to pay for a train pass. If you do rent a car, find out if his company's policy will allow for you to drive it. Also, find out if you need to get any additional auto insurance coverage while you are gone or if the employer's policy will cover either/both of you. Also, does the policy cover accidents that might happen on trips that aren't business related? Housing costs are another issue - you will probably want a short term apartment rental. Find out exactly how much they will pay and be prepared to pay the difference if you want something bigger, the company will probably work with you on this. If they have employees that travel frequently, they will be used to such arrangements.  If you don't have an apartment rental, you will need to figure out things like laundry and dry cleaning. My husband's company will always pay for his, but not for ours. If you are going to be in-country for more than 90 days, make sure you get a visa. Again, your husband's company should pay for his, but will not pay for other family members. 

The US Embassy in Germany will be able to help you figure out what school regulations would apply to your children while you are in country (you can contact them in advance). If they need to go to school, I recommend an International school where the primary language is English - it will be easier for them in the long run. Make sure your husband's company will pick up this cost for you. 

• Like 1

I never lived there permanently, but I used to work for a German company and had many several-week business trips there.  Two places I wouldn't miss.  

Prague and Rothenburg ob der Tauber.   Rothenburg has this really cool museum called Criminal Justice or something similar.  The bottom level has torture devices.  The top level has shaming devices that are fascinating.  Like pigs heads for gluttons, etc.  They have a papal  (I forget the name.   A get into Heaven document)

Prague is cool just because it is.  Also, it is like Germany, only not bombed and they like Americans.  And the beer is good.  Woo Hoo!

How fabulous!!  I hope it works out for y'all.

Agree with pp on how the "little things" are what kids enjoy most in the moment and remember best after the adventure is over.  Some of our fondest travel memories are free or nearly free - pickup games with kids in local parks or playgrounds, settling in to watch soccer matches on public fields, going to worship services, going to local swimming holes/municipal pools, indulging in street food, making time for parades and carnivals.

Only slightly more - cooking classes (I LOVE doing this -- you usually get a well-informed tour of the local food markets as well, and leave with practical recipes to try at home), art/local handicraft classes, architecture walking tours (you get so much more out of a good guide than you can do on your own even with a good guidebook), local music/dance performances, factory tours (especially those for fun things, like chocolate... years later, my kids still rave about a Ramen Noodle factory tour we did five years ago).

I do love me a good Roman ruin, myself, but the kids can only take so much of that sort of thing.

For 3182 Euro (so about $3500), you can get 3 month unlimited Eurail passes for all four in your family in a "family pass" 1st class train travel in 28 European countries. I'd totally do that. Train travel is the way to go in Europe. The passes cover some ferries, etc, as well. No stress, no mess.

You and the kids can do day trips while dh is at work, too. You can also take overnight trains on your way to or from places, saving hotel costs. That'd work well for a day trip with the kids. Go somewhere in the early morning. Spend the day, eat dinner, hop on a late night train home, crash the next day. 

Go for it!! 

• Like 3

how exciting!  

this may be easier than it seems.

1.  we have lived in multiple countries for over a month each time.  (spain, costa rica, australia - twice :).  it is different than living somewhere for longer.  each time, while dh worked, the kids and i were considered to be "on vacation".... so no school rules, no visas, etc, etc.  we considered ourselves to be living there and to be doing school, etc.  we did internet research ahead of time to make sure we were in compliance with the country's rules.  

2.  the area you are going to is beautiful.  there are lots and lots of half day/full day field trips that are possible.  most (but not all) people can speak enough english for you to manage.  

3.  for us, we chose to do a unit study on whatever country we were in.  we did some work on language, but really focused on cultural immersion.  

4.  each time, dh and i plan one driving trip, often after his work time finishes.  we also plan several weekend trips.  and then after all the planning, we go with the flow.  often, opportunities open up once we are in country and we try to go with those.  

5.  will you be affiliated with the american base there?  if so, there will be people used to you doing what you are doing who are full of ideas.  if not, i have often had good luck just calling and telling people what we are doing and asking for suggestions/affiliations, etc, etc.  

have a glorious time!

ann

• Like 1

My parents took us to live in Zurich for 3 months, for my Dad's job, when we were 5, 3, and 3 yrs old (twins). Mom and us kids lived in a convent's hostel while Dad had to stay at the dorm residence provided with his internship. We loved the toys and riding the trains there and cablecar up to the mountains. Somehow the Lego sets seemed better there! My mom knew German and tried to speak it everywhere and we listened and must have absorbed something. But i do remember times when people would interrupt and start in English, when she ran into trouble with German.

What was difficult: when we 3 all got some kind of stomach flu :( I think one thing that would be helpful to find out in advance is the German name for medications you might need in a hurry, like Tylenol.

Another difficult thing: this trip was quite an experience, but it was very stressful for my mom, as you can imagine. I would really plan to have a very lazy, slow month when you come back so you have a chance to rest up afterward, get over jetlag, and ease back into regular life.

Have fun!

• Like 1

We have spent six weeks at a time in Austria.  In addition to having an opportunity to travel and see some of the big European sites, staying for a bit longer allows you to experience a bit more of daily life.  You go to the grocery store and cook.  Your kids play in the park alongside local kids, etc.  We have found it to be a wonderful experience for the entire family.

• Like 1

What was difficult: when we 3 all got some kind of stomach flu :( I think one thing that would be helpful to find out in advance is the German name for medications you might need in a hurry, like Tylenol....

When my mother was pregnant with me she got sick while in Germany.  Their landlords gave them some medicine to use.  It had a drawing of a dead bug on the front.  They were leery of mom drinking it.  But, it was the equivalent of putting a line through a frog on throat medicine.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am so excited to see all your replies! Not long after I wrote the original message...my husband came home from work and announced they were sending ASAP. Combined with a stressful point in our local lives (I coached an Odyssey of the Mind team + LIFE)...I went into survival mode (imagine an ostrich with head in ground). My husband is currently over there, and will be back soon...and we should find out soon if they are sending all of us.

I still have panic feelings of "OMG we homeschool they'll figure out," but it looks like a tourist visa will be OK for us, especially since the trip might be only 1.5 months now. (ONLY? Sheesh, myself. Get a grip.) 

I'm more interested in seeing places like a local and experiencing the cities. I have a short attention span and am not really interested in seeing lots of churches, castles, or museums. (Maybe a castle or two, but not many.)

So far...if we do 6 weekend trips...Venice, Rome (for my daughter, who is obsessed with ancient Greeks and Romans), Paris (a must for me), either Prague or Budapest, Salzberg....and who knows.

I am hoping to be able to turn the travels into unit studies. Of course, I'll bring along their math books (traveling can get boring!) and such for the train. I'm really hoping this potential trip will open my children's eyes to the world.

• Like 4

As a Romaphile, I would recommend Pompey.   At least several years ago when I was there, they let you wander by yourselves in the unimportant buildings.  It is so cool to be wandering in a maze and then *bam* there is an stone alter.  The museum totally rocks.  In my top 5 favorite.  Pompey could definitely be a unit study.  

Do you know that outside of Roma city, the only places with colosseums were places where the soldiers had been settled.  Pompey, was a good example. They didn't have one.  Didn't want one.   Pompey had an uprising, the uprising was squashed.  Soldiers were settled in the vacuum left by the dead locals.  Then a colosseum is wanted and built.   

So far...if we do 6 weekend trips...Venice, Rome (for my daughter, who is obsessed with ancient Greeks and Romans), Paris (a must for me), either Prague or Budapest, Salzberg....and who knows.

So cool!  So jealous! If this is a one-time thing for DH, he may be focused on work during the week, stressed out about that, and not eager to travel on his weekends.  It might work better for everyone if you and the kids took some side trips during weekdays, leaving the weekends to explore the local area as a family, living like a local.

As a Romaphile, I would recommend Pompey.   At least several years ago when I was there, they let you wander by yourselves in the unimportant buildings.  It is so cool to be wandering in a maze and then *bam* there is an stone alter.  The museum totally rocks.  In my top 5 favorite.  Pompey could definitely be a unit study.  

Do you know that outside of Roma city, the only places with colosseums were places where the soldiers had been settled.  Pompey, was a good example. They didn't have one.  Didn't want one.   Pompey had an uprising, the uprising was squashed.  Soldiers were settled in the vacuum left by the dead locals.  Then a colosseum is wanted and built.   

My sister-in-law also suggested this. I've always wanted to go, but I'm going to have to look into travel times to getting to and from any place. I actually saw there were some ruins (was it a Colosseum?) in France, but the town was definitely not an easy trek to get to. 

So cool!  So jealous! If this is a one-time thing for DH, he may be focused on work during the week, stressed out about that, and not eager to travel on his weekends.  It might work better for everyone if you and the kids took some side trips during weekdays, leaving the weekends to explore the local area as a family, living like a local.

I've thought about doing this...and I've wondered what my husband's take would be. I read way too many news sites and so I end up with 100 "what'ifs" in my head about traveling alone. I would definitely consider Salzberg alone (close enough- about 1.5 hours?) as I'm sure my husband doesn't actually give a flying flip about The Sound of Music. Or Mozart :) Well, he might care about Mozart.

I think the excitement about the possible trip combined with homeschooling/life while he's been gone (we're having troubles, ahem, listening today) have just made me feel a little crazy.

I know you said you don't want to see lots of churches, but the Dom in Cologne is spectacular. Also check out the lock bridge, the chocolate museum, and buy some spaghetti eis (ice cream that looks like spaghetti). All of these are walking distance from Cologne's Central Train Station (KĂƒÂ¶ln Hauptbahnhof).

ETA: Learn spoken German numbers; it will make shopping a lot easier.

My sister-in-law also suggested this. I've always wanted to go, but I'm going to have to look into travel times to getting to and from any place. I actually saw there were some ruins (was it a Colosseum?) in France, but the town was definitely not an easy trek to get to. 

If you have the Eurorail pass, big cities on the mainland but a bit faraway will be VERY easy to get to.   Just take a night train.  With the pass you will be in a first class car, each of which has 6 sleeping cots on the walls.   So, you get on the train on Friday night and wake up at your destination.  Although you might have to stop in Rome.  

Paris is really good to get to with a night train.  Also, since you arrive early, you can go to the things that have very long lines before they have long lines.  

My husband came home from work the other day to tell some pretty exciting (but crazy) news. He might be transferred to Europe (from the US) for three months. 

This is one of those crazy once-in-a-lifetime things for us. We've always wanted to go to Europe, but it's never been in our budget. Now we are possibly looking at the chance. I'm having trouble finding info- most things I find are for people who are there for just a few weeks, or are moving there permanently. 

It would be Germany. None of us speak German. We do not have a time frame-- all we know if it happens, it would be within a year. Most likely, he's guessing, it would possibly be around the summer months. Oddly enough, my sister in law (his sister) lives in Germany, but she'd be about 5 hours away from us, but it would still be nice. 

We would be on the southeast side on Germany- so closer to Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Switzerland, Czech Republic, rather than the UK, Denmark, etc. Our plans would be to travel as much as feasible while there-- this would probably be our only chance for a very long time. SO, during the week, we'd stay in our house in Germany, and the weekends we would travel either by car, plane or train to where ever we can get. Of course, if we get tired of big travels, we'll stay close to home some weekends.

Our kids would be 9 and 11 at the time.

Has anyone ever done something like this before? Lived in a country longer than a vacation, but shorter than becoming a resident? Would we have to worry about anti-homeschooling laws if we were there for three months?

I'd love any experiences-- or just even any places in the more Eastern parts of Europe that you know, love or heard that other people love.

Thanks in advance.

That's AWESOME.  Your kids will pick up the language quickly.  You will have to work at it. 

Not sure about the home schooling laws.  You might try airbnb for a place, though.  One of our family members found an awesome place for several months on airbnb.    IF it is under 90 days, you don't even need a Visa, but you do need a Visa if you are staying in excess of 90 days. 

Not sure about the home schooling, but I do know it is illegal in Germany.  Not sure if that applies to you as a short term resident.

I think it sounds wonderful, and I hope it works out for you.  Perhaps you know by now.  Three months is just long enough to start to feel comfortable in an area.  We have done stints like that many times. (Are doing so now.)  In Germany, a lot of English will be spoken, but I'd still learn pleasantries (hello, how are you, thank you, etc.) and numbers (1-10) ahead of time.  I'd do a unit study with the kids on Germany, or that whole general area of Europe.  I wouldn't worry about homeschool laws for just 3 months. 

We loved visiting Vienna, and also Croatia, if you get down that far.  My husband and son spent a lot of time in the Czech Republic, and thought it was one of the most lovely places they had ever visited.

My dd is over there now, doing a semester abroad.  And we visited her for a week.  A couple things I've learned...

Get a rail pass. (DD)  MUCH cheaper.  And if not a rail pass, then buy your tickets as early as you can. 

Hostels are ok.  (us)  We stayed in two.  DH found ones that were labeled as family friendly and they were.  At both we saw people with infants.  What we got - a private room for 4 or 5 of us (depending on which one  DD had to go to class).  Private bathroom.  Bunk beds.  At 9 and 11, they should be fine.  For 5 of us, dh and I did get a queen bed.  A small table with 4 stools.  Lockers for stuff.  Included German breakfast.   What you don't get (we didn't miss) carpet on the floor, TV in the room.  I did miss counter space.  WiFi was only in the lobby.  One place was great; the other one sucked.  But we would gladly stay again in order to save money.  Laundry was expensive but doable.

DD travels in groups and sees things but doesn't pay entrance fees.  So it is look from the outside and experience culture.  She is thoroughly enjoying it.  That sort of sounds like what you are looking to do.

Have a great time!