Menu

Hired Cleaning Lady--pls help with Expectations

momacacia

What are reasonable expectations for a deep cleaning by a cleaning professional? I had a wonderful lady (with excellent recommendations) come today for the first part of her deep cleaning (needed to leave to get her kids from school). She cleaned about a 1000 sq.ft of our house, with about 800 left for later this week. Here for 4 hours. This is her first big clean. It's $5/hr more than her usual hourly rate.

Most of the house looks really great. She used tons of soft scrub in the kitchen, though not on countertops, and some of the white residue was left in the sink, on the fridge and in crevices of the kitchen cabinets (which I'll need to toothbrush to get out). Little bits of "stuff" on the wood floors were left in corners and smudges in certain spots. There's also still dust on top of the fridge.

She comes so highly recommended and I do need the help (physically if not psychologically :lol: ) over the next year and a half with a 4th on the way, etc. The plan is that she come 2x/month. Those of you that have housekeeping help, help me adjust expectations. Will my house get more "perfectly cleaner" as she cleans more often? Is the deep clean as good as it will get and it's just maintenance from here? Do I need therapy for perfectionism?

#firstworldproblem :glare:

I don't think it's unrealistic for you not to be happy with Soft Scrub that wasn't rinsed out completely. And yes, she should have cleaned the top of the fridge.

I cannot stand Soft Scrub residue... must be cleaned off!

I would just ask her to do the top of the fridge next time.

It's normal to have things to work out at the beginning of a housekeeping relationship. I used to clean houses when I was in college. I remember carefully making the beds with "hospital corners." The woman thought I was being lazy by not tucking in the sheets all the way around. (Can you say claustrophobia? :eek: ) I had a friend who started to clean for her, too. She did the same thing and the woman told her that she had no idea everyone didn't make beds her way.

So, start by telling her what you liked about her cleaning job, and then mention your "thing" about the Softscrub residue. Ask her to do the top of the fridge on her next visit. Then she'll know you want it done.

Remember to compliment her on some aspect of the cleaning or to remark how great the clean house makes you feel each time. You want to convey a sense that her work is meaningful.

Also, is the issue that she used Softscrub everywhere, or just that she used too much and there's residue? You could leave your own product for her to use.

I tend to think that people in these service industries have seen and heard everything, so I'd not hesitate to ask about some issues - especially the top of the refrigerator, or the residue. Needing to go over her work with a toothbrush seems like a problem to me.

In general -- at the beginning of the working relationship, housecleaners knock themselves out to be perfect. After a few weeks or a few years, the service starts to deteriorate, at least in my experience.  

It doesn't matter whether your friends like your housecleaner, it matters whether you like your housecleaner. You are the boss, and the housecleaner is there to make your life more manageable.  

When a housecleaner becomes too high maintenance, or repeatedly fails to show up, then I sadly let them go.

However, in this case, it might just be something that can be worked out with clear expectations.  I would sandwich the request for change between compliments about what a nice job.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I work about 20 hours a week for a man.....I do some cleaning and lots of other stuff......organizing, shopping, errands of all kinds. I rarely speak to him. I have his credit card and house key and I just do what I think the house or his life needs. I would love the feedback. Sometimes I tell him what I have done just in case he might not notice! All of that to say....don't be too picky but if certain things bother you or are on your needs/wants list....let her know.

Does she work from a list?

I cleaned for a little while. So helpful to have clear explanations of what is expected--I mean, REALLY clear, down to what products to use where.

"Deep Clean" doesn't have any meaning to me--I'm sure you had some sort of list, but I'm saying make it crystal clear.

I would go ahead and give some feedback before she comes back. I would not worry about what she's already done, but next time, be super specific. Stay positive in any notes--add a smiley face or something. LOL!

Deep cleaning to me means the same as having a car detailed. The residue would be as bad as dirt, as far as I am concerned. You are paying her. You need to let her know your expectations. Now, if someone was doing it for free, I'd definitely not complain about such things.

I didn't give her a list. We discussed cleaning products-I was ok with SS in the kitchen sink. She uses windex on counters which I'm going to ask her to switch out. She just came in and did her thing. She did say she goes top to bottom the first time really thoroughly and then maintains.

I don't think she used the SS on the cabinets. That surely would have really ruined them. :( What I suspect happened is that the same rag that got used to clean the sink or front of the fridge was also used to swipe part of the cabinets. I don't see how that much SS could just fall into the corner creases of the cabinets at the bottom.

I will just need to do some communicating, I guess. I will have to change some products anyway to my stuff, as it was just too chemically smelling for us. At $35/hr regular cleaning and $40/hr for first cleaning it'd be nice for thing to just happen though. I know that's truly unrealistic for any job, though.

Never hired any cleaning help. Can someone explain why deep cleaning costs more than regular cleaning?  Since it's paid by the hour I would have been thrown by the price difference. 

And for the record, what I do as deep cleaning is probably what other people call light cleaning.  I never really got into housework, at least not like my MIL did...she pulls her stove and fridge out every month and cleans under and behind it. I reserve that for when we move or get a new appliance. 

I would ask her to use the cleaners you prefer.  I would also buy the cleaners myself if I had a preference different from hers.

Unless I were entertaining guests in the interim, I would leave at least some of the residue for her to see next time.  Show it to her cheerfully and let her clean it off.  "You missed a spot" is perfectly acceptable to say to paid cleaning help.  :)

Don't expect perfection from any human, but do expect her to cheerfully accept your small requests / recommendations.

If you are mostly happy with the job, just talk to her.

We usually buy our preferred cleaning supplies for them to use, and we ask that they use specific products on particular pieces of furniture, etc. I would ask her to use a different product on the cabinets, and I'd probably save the residue for her to fix.

Generally, I find that if they don't clean something one week, they get it the next. I'm not looking for perfection, and I'm pretty easy going. But I wouldn't hesitate to ask her to clean the top of the fridge.

Back when we had a cleaning service, my DH did complain about how the cleaning was/wasn't done. My response was that anything they did was something that I didn't have to do, and it wasn't like my DH would have done that job anyway.

This is absolutely valid. I need to get this through my head while communicating well wth her about a few details.

In general -- at the beginning of the working relationship, housecleaners knock themselves out to be perfect. After a few weeks or a few years, the service starts to deteriorate, at least in my experience.  

It doesn't matter whether your friends like your housecleaner, it matters whether you like your housecleaner. You are the boss, and the housecleaner is there to make your life more manageable.  

When a housecleaner becomes too high maintenance, or repeatedly fails to show up, then I sadly let them go.

However, in this case, it might just be something that can be worked out with clear expectations.  I would sandwich the request for change between compliments about what a nice job.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

This is what I've found, as well. The best is done at the beginning of the job and as time passes, less and less gets done that well--unless you speak up and point out what you want done.

It's one thing to leave SS on the counters if you will be there the next day to wipe them up. Not so fun if you have to wipe them up yourself or wait two weeks for her to return.

It's bad enough that we 'clean' before the cleaning lady comes....but that need to pick up clutter before she comes is one of the reasons I have someone come. ;)

I probably shouldn't ever pay someone to deep clean my house.  "Deep clean" - to me, in all honesty, is a vague puffy dream that I'm not sure is even possible.

If I were paying someone to do it I'd expect to come back home to new furniture, refinished hardwood floors and all new bathroom hardware.  Everything would sparkle and there may even be fresh flowers on the table.

:)

Just kidding, kindof...

Seriously though, I've never had someone fully clean my whole house.  Some folks said you were being too picky, I don't think so at all.  I hate that soft scrub residue...

I have hired help giving them specific jobs as we went along.  This way they were basically helping me clean to my level of "perfectionism" and I was then able to keep my finger on how thorough the job was done by all of us together.  I paid them well but we only got the kitchen and living room done in a day.  I should have had them back regularly, it worked nicely for all of us, they said they learned alot.  I was clear with what I wanted at the forefront of any discussion though, very clear that I wanted help doing what I needed to do - getting through my list - and my list was thorough and we put it on a white board and crossed off each item as a celebration, lol.

Worked for me at that stage of life though...I"m considering hiring my own daughters now, letting them earn spending money while secretly teaching them how to deep clean like I wish I was at their age.  We're about to move and they need to see what has been neglected (behind the dryer!) and now is a good time to learn.

I wasn't taught well when younger.  Mom got mad, we rushed to keep her from hitting us.  Not a good method.  As I came into my own as a housewife, I learned too painfully how inept I was at cleaning.  So I read old housekeeping books from the dusty corners of the library (the old, old ones no one ever checks out - not the flashy shiny ones).  I'd get a new book each time I took the kids and learned to do things like make a bed the right way, air out a room and clean a window.

Sadly, I don't think alot of people even know how to correctly clean.  I have alot to learn myself, it's hard work.

I would guess that she focused on each area as she worked, but didn't go back over areas after the residue dried and was easier to see. When she comes back, just ask her to hit the top of the fridge and make sure all of the soft scrub residue is gone. If she corrects it, you win. If she ignores you and never corrects it, you need to keep looking.

I honestly would never expect perfection because I wouldn't be willing to pay for the extra hours that would take. I'd just be happy to have my load considerably lightened.

I didn't give her a list. We discussed cleaning products-I was ok with SS in the kitchen sink. She uses windex on counters which I'm going to ask her to switch out. She just came in and did her thing. She did say she goes top to bottom the first time really thoroughly and then maintains.

I don't think she used the SS on the cabinets. That surely would have really ruined them. :( What I suspect happened is that the same rag that got used to clean the sink or front of the fridge was also used to swipe part of the cabinets. I don't see how that much SS could just fall into the corner creases of the cabinets at the bottom.

I will just need to do some communicating, I guess. I will have to change some products anyway to my stuff, as it was just too chemically smelling for us. At $35/hr regular cleaning and $40/hr for first cleaning it'd be nice for thing to just happen though. I know that's truly unrealistic for any job, though.

Windex to clean counters, the top of the fridge ignored, and soft scrub residue left everywhere? I'd be thanking her, paying her, and moving on to the next candidate.

Except I don't know if that would help...I cleaned houses for a living over twenty years ago. I worked for a total harridan who had us hand mopping brick pathways on our hands and knees, cleaning two 4000sf houses in a day, if there were complaints we redid it for free. You get the idea. But recently I checked Molly Maids and other companies and found that they didn't properly clean anything. If I wanted them to do more than my kids wil do for free, I'd have to pay double.

I mean, dusting baseboards in a room with hardwood floors should not cost extra! Not should wiping appliances or dusting cabinets, but those weren't routine, either. And don't get me started on what they neglect in kitchens and bathrooms.

I think people don't know how to clean anymore. If it looks tidy it's to be considered clean.

I've had several lovely cleaning people over the past 12  years, and occasional cleaning prior to that. 

My experience is that the cleaning lady *never* cleans as well as I do. That's because, when I go to clean the bathroom, I see the scum in the door track, so then I go find a scrub brush . . . and then I see the dust on the bathroom fan . . . so I go get a step stool and a brush attachment for a vacuum . . . then I see hard water build up, so go find Lime A Way . . . Two hours later, I am wet, exhausted, and my bathroom is very clean. The cleaning lady comes in with her spray cleaner(s), maybe some soft scrub (if I insist/direct), slops some cleaner around, zooms a mop around, and wipes it all down. It looks pretty darn good. It takes her 10-15 minutes. 

So, a cleaning lady can "clean my whole house" in 6 hours, whereas I'd still be on the master bedroom, where I got stuck sorting the things in my nightstand drawer or pulling all the stuff out from under the bed . .. 

Even when I have had 12 hrs/wk of cleaning help, I still had to do much of the deep cleaning myself. 

I've learned to try to embrace the "spit and polish" approach of professional cleaners. I figure all the spit and polish cleaning keeps my house habitable and frees up my time for other things -- including taking the old toothbrush to the shower track, etc.

Paying by the hour is the way I like to do it, too. Just remember you pay by the hour, so as long as she's being productive on anything you want done, then that frees your time for other things. 

Make a written list of things you want done, and don't hesitate to give clear, gentle, kind instructions. The more you do that in the beginning, the better off you'll be all along. 

I find it easier to delegate simple things -- like dusting/vacuuming/linen changes/spit-n-polish general cleaning . . . and once all that stuff is done, you may find you have time to do the more detailed specific cleaning you want done. If not, then that is when you give clear, measurable instructions for specific tasks, along with designating exactly which cleaning product you want used . . . 

Good luck!

My understanding of of hired cleaning is that they Motel or Hotel Clean and the good ones are few and far between.  I've also noticed anyone who has ever cleaned for a living (or is super clean by nature) is very particular and pretty much never happy unless they do it themselves.

I think people don't know how to clean anymore. If it looks tidy it's to be considered clean.

Ha! That's what we call 'the illusion of clean'.  When we had young kids and had unexpected company coming, we'd hurry up to get ready and we called it 'the illusion of clean'. And then there were other times that we got it 'Grandma clean' meaning it was clean enough for my inlaws to visit. That level of clean requires scrubbing the track for the sliding door and stuff like that. 

The only time I was really successful was when I made an excel spreadsheet. I listed every possible thing that could be done in my house, and then every time she came, I highlighted the things I wanted done that visit. It was very detailed including the product to use. There was a little box to check off when she was done. It was organized by room. Once I had the spreadsheet made up, it didn't take too long to refine it every visit. In our case, our house was too large to do everything every time so I would have her do a more thorough cleaning of certain areas depending on if we had plans that coming week. 

In kitchen - there would be items such as - dust top of frig, wipe down cabinets, clean out cabinet creases, remove all items from fridge and wipe off shelves and bins, clean stove top, hand mop floors around island, steam mop rest of floors, clean recycling cabinet, you get the idea  :lol: It was very detailed and for that person it worked. 

Now I'm just more in the camp that it means my house is never that gross and it gets most of the clutter cleaned up every once in awhile! I think the person who comes now is a pretty good cleaner and gets most of what I want done done. But she is moving and I will probably go back to the list if I can find someone else. It's a surprisingly hard job to fill! 

Gosh, I'm beginning to think maybe I should take 3 months, train my girls to clean to my level (maybe wishful thinking ;)), and then pay them according to the tasks (not as much as a cleaning lady, though. Shhh. Don't tell.) They'll be here the next 8+ years, and I can nag them all I want to get it right and they can use my stuff.

They might run away from home in the process, though, eh? :lol:

Deep cleaning isn't something that can be done quickly.  She had to leave - Give her the benefit of the doubt that she will fix things when she returns.  If your house was dirty enough to need that much soft-scrub, it is undoubtedly better after her visit than before.  

Deep cleaning isn't something that can be done quickly.  She had to leave - Give her the benefit of the doubt that she will fix things when she returns.  If your house was dirty enough to need that much soft-scrub, it is undoubtedly better after her visit than before.  

Good grief! That is the rudest thing I've read all day. Do you personally kind of hate the OP or something?

I work about 20 hours a week for a man.....I do some cleaning and lots of other stuff......organizing, shopping, errands of all kinds. I rarely speak to him. I have his credit card and house key and I just do what I think the house or his life needs. I would love the feedback. Sometimes I tell him what I have done just in case he might not notice! All of that to say....don't be too picky but if certain things bother you or are on your needs/wants list....let her know.

Hey, I do that too!  Right down to the mentioning what I've done in case he doesn't notice.  

It is for my husband, and for free.

I do get to talk to him though ;)

Good grief! That is the rudest thing I've read all day. Do you personally kind of hate the OP or something?

No!  Not at all!  I wasn't trying to be rude, but I guess I didn't express myself well - "Deep cleaning" is something more than everyday scrubbing.  I'd expect to have an in-process state until the job is done.  

My house always looks worse when I'm in the process of deep cleaning than either before or after.  

Hey, I do that too! Right down to the mentioning what I've done in case he doesn't notice.

It is for my husband, and for free.

I do get to talk to him though ;)

Ha. I know some of his family and one of his aunts said, "tell Scarlett she is keeping nephew from getting married!"

No!  Not at all!  I wasn't trying to be rude, but I guess I didn't express myself well - "Deep cleaning" is something more than everyday scrubbing.  I'd expect to have an in-process state until the job is done.  

My house always looks worse when I'm in the process of deep cleaning than either before or after.  

I apologize! I see how I misread. I double checked your blog link and knew who it was, and instantly knew that I must have misunderstood because I'm trying to imagine you being deliberately rude. LOL I'm sorry.

Windex to clean counters, the top of the fridge ignored, and soft scrub residue left everywhere? I'd be thanking her, paying her, and moving on to the next candidate.

Except I don't know if that would help...I cleaned houses for a living over twenty years ago. I worked for a total harridan who had us hand mopping brick pathways on our hands and knees, cleaning two 4000sf houses in a day, if there were complaints we redid it for free. You get the idea. But recently I checked Molly Maids and other companies and found that they didn't properly clean anything. If I wanted them to do more than my kids wil do for free, I'd have to pay double.

I mean, dusting baseboards in a room with hardwood floors should not cost extra! Not should wiping appliances or dusting cabinets, but those weren't routine, either. And don't get me started on what they neglect in kitchens and bathrooms.

Using a rag that had left over soft scrub on it to clean the cabinets. Eww.

Perhaps - but, if she knew how many hours she had, I would've expected that if she's been cleaning for a while she could have estimated how long each task would take and then fully complete a few tasks in that timeframe.  Like fully cleaning the appliances and countertops (including the soft scrub residue, yuck) but leaving the cabinets and flooring for the next time, you know?  Deep cleaning to me involves removing all items, decluttering, and sometimes rearranging furniture, so it would make sense for the room to look worse when it's in progress, but deep cleaning for a housecleaner just usually means more than the general swish and sweep they do.  I wouldn't expect a house cleaner to remove all the items from my kitchen cabinets, for instance, even if she was doing a deep clean!

I don't have a house cleaner, but my MIL did it for a while, and either her clients supplied their own lists (and she based her price on that) or she provided a list that specified what she'd do every time and what she'd do occasionally (blinds, molding, etc).

Using a rag that had left over soft scrub on it to clean the cabinets. Eww.

This is why one of my girlfriends will not get a cleaning lady. She says, "What if they use the same rag to wipe the bathroom sink and counter with that they had just used to wipe around the toilet." It sort of gives me that feeling. Sigh. But then, I can only worry about so many things.

The great possibility is that the SS dribbled down from the sink or her rag as she was rinsing/cleaning and that's how it happened and she just didn't catch it. I'm really not so worried about what details were missed--just that some details were missed--and at the first detail cleaning, to boot. Idk if I need to go through 3-4 people to find the right one, if I need to be very detailed each time she comes about expectations. I may just not like having someone else clean my house. It's a possibility....

I apologize! I see how I misread. I double checked your blog link and knew who it was, and instantly knew that I must have misunderstood because I'm trying to imagine you being deliberately rude. LOL I'm sorry.

I apologize too.  I know exactly which phrase is far too harsh.  I'd go back and delete it, but the magic of the internet allows us to experience our failures fully.  In my case, that is probably a good thing.  Eating my humiliating slice of humble pie today helps me to to be a better person tomorrow.  

This is why one of my girlfriends will not get a cleaning lady. She says, "What if they use the same rag to wipe the bathroom sink and counter with that they had just used to wipe around the toilet." It sort of gives me that feeling. Sigh. But then, I can only worry about so many things.

The great possibility is that the SS dribbled down from the sink or her rag as she was rinsing/cleaning and that's how it happened and she just didn't catch it. I'm really not so worried about what details were missed--just that some details were missed--and at the first detail cleaning, to boot. Idk if I need to go through 3-4 people to find the right one, if I need to be very detailed each time she comes about expectations. I may just not like having someone else clean my house. It's a possibility....

Shudder. Reminds me of those undercover stories of hotel maids wiping gasses down with bathroom cleaning rags.

You nailed it. I have yet to see anyone come and clean something as well as I clean it, myself. Even my mother and stepmom, who both hire help, are going over the work when they're gone and things like wiping down objects moved to dust or bottles in the bathroom is not common. Mopping with a mop instead if by hand with a rag is also typical, but essentially worthless for cleaning most floors.

One of the many reasons I have never bothered with a housekeeper is because I'm not hugely picky, but I'd someone SAYS they cleaned it I expect it to actually be well and truly clean, not just picked up and quickly wiped down.

I think this may cover my problem. I will give this 2-3 months and see how this pregnancy progresses. At some point I may be grateful for someone even waving SS at my sink. But I'll have to consider it as "better than the nothing" I might be doing. She really didn't do a poor job, just a few details.

I just may not be able to justify the cost (as I consider the cost of raising going on 4 kids and all their music lessons!!!) for what the cleaning lady gives me.

I don't know if anyone has answered this yet or not, so I will.

I was trying to compare apples to apples.  When I said my deep-cleans run more, I was just adding on the extra 2-4 hours necessary.  (Although one job took 13 hours :scared: )

I always count the initial clean for a new client as a deep clean and I tell them that.  If they have a budget, they let me know and I let them know what will be done now and what will be worked into future cleans.  Essentially, I work my butt off to get their house looking like mine...or a magazine.  I get on my hands and knees and wipe down baseboards with an actual cleaner, bottom corners of door jambs, polish any wood furniture plus cabinetry, ceiling fans dusted/vaccumed, air vents vacuumed, remove hard water rings from the inside of toilets/bathtubs/faucets, polish stainless steel, clean inside and outside of all small appliances, take down and wash all miniblinds or wipe them down one-by-one while hanging, and clean then polish hardwood floors.  The things that gets done every single time - clean (with an actual appropriate cleaner) the entire outside of all toilets along with the insides, either vacuum carpets or clean hardwoods, mop tile, all sinks and bathtubs, counter-tops (using a special cleaner if its natural stone or granite), wipe down the edges of all doors and doorknobs...basic stuff.  As I continue cleaning and I see something from my initial list that needs to be done, I do it too.  For some of my clients, I make their beds with new sheets if they've laid them out; I clean/tidy up kids rooms; put away loose toys/shoes/misc clutter. 

I suppose I'm more of a house keeper than just a house cleaner.  But I enjoy it because all of my clients just let me in the house and let me do what I think needs to be done and how I know it can be done best/efficiently.  I think I might quit if I had a list like some of you give out.  Yikes.

ETA: And I happily spend $30-45 a month on Costco packs of paper towels because rags are beyond gross.

Thanks for taking time to tell me all you do- I would hire you in a heartbeat. I asked because the OP mentioned that this deep clean was costing her $5 more per hour. I'm betting you work just as hard whether you're 'deep cleaning' or doing typical tasks so I was surprised to hear it costs more per hour. I'd fully expect it to take more time. Much more time for my house.g

I was trying to compare apples to apples. When I said my deep-cleans run more, I was just adding on the extra 2-4 hours necessary. (Although one job took 13 hours :scared: )

I always count the initial clean for a new client as a deep clean and I tell them that. If they have a budget, they let me know and I let them know what will be done now and what will be worked into future cleans. Essentially, I work my butt off to get their house looking like mine...or a magazine. I get on my hands and knees and wipe down baseboards with an actual cleaner, bottom corners of door jambs, polish any wood furniture plus cabinetry, ceiling fans dusted/vaccumed, air vents vacuumed, remove hard water rings from the inside of toilets/bathtubs/faucets, polish stainless steel, clean inside and outside of all small appliances, take down and wash all miniblinds or wipe them down one-by-one while hanging, and clean then polish hardwood floors. The things that gets done every single time - clean (with an actual appropriate cleaner) the entire outside of all toilets along with the insides, either vacuum carpets or clean hardwoods, mop tile, all sinks and bathtubs, counter-tops (using a special cleaner if its natural stone or granite), wipe down the edges of all doors and doorknobs...basic stuff. As I continue cleaning and I see something from my initial list that needs to be done, I do it too. For some of my clients, I make their beds with new sheets if they've laid them out; I clean/tidy up kids rooms; put away loose toys/shoes/misc clutter.

I suppose I'm more of a house keeper than just a house cleaner. But I enjoy it because all of my clients just let me in the house and let me do what I think needs to be done and how I know it can be done best/efficiently. I think I might quit if I had a list like some of you give out. Yikes.

ETA: And I happily spend $30-45 a month on Costco packs of paper towels because rags are beyond gross.

But alas, you're not my cleaning lady. :)

I was trying to compare apples to apples. When I said my deep-cleans run more, I was just adding on the extra 2-4 hours necessary. (Although one job took 13 hours :scared: )

I always count the initial clean for a new client as a deep clean and I tell them that. If they have a budget, they let me know and I let them know what will be done now and what will be worked into future cleans. Essentially, I work my butt off to get their house looking like mine...or a magazine. I get on my hands and knees and wipe down baseboards with an actual cleaner, bottom corners of door jambs, polish any wood furniture plus cabinetry, ceiling fans dusted/vaccumed, air vents vacuumed, remove hard water rings from the inside of toilets/bathtubs/faucets, polish stainless steel, clean inside and outside of all small appliances, take down and wash all miniblinds or wipe them down one-by-one while hanging, and clean then polish hardwood floors. The things that gets done every single time - clean (with an actual appropriate cleaner) the entire outside of all toilets along with the insides, either vacuum carpets or clean hardwoods, mop tile, all sinks and bathtubs, counter-tops (using a special cleaner if its natural stone or granite), wipe down the edges of all doors and doorknobs...basic stuff. As I continue cleaning and I see something from my initial list that needs to be done, I do it too. For some of my clients, I make their beds with new sheets if they've laid them out; I clean/tidy up kids rooms; put away loose toys/shoes/misc clutter.

I suppose I'm more of a house keeper than just a house cleaner. But I enjoy it because all of my clients just let me in the house and let me do what I think needs to be done and how I know it can be done best/efficiently. I think I might quit if I had a list like some of you give out. Yikes.

You buy your own paper towels?

Yes...paper towels for outside of toilets....microfiber towels for other cleaning which I keep separate depending on the job. I spend about 7 hours cleaning once a week...but that includes changing and washing sheets and baby blankets/bedding....also a lot of picking up of toys etc.

A detailed spreadsheet list would make me want to quit...but I can see the value of it if someone doesn't know how to clean well.

"Gosh, I'm beginning to think maybe I should take 3 months, train my girls to clean to my level (maybe wishful thinking  ;)), and then pay them according to the tasks (not as much as a cleaning lady, though. Shhh. Don't tell.) They'll be here the next 8+ years, and I can nag them all I want to get it right and they can use my stuff."

I just wanted to comment here having one child now married and three daughters behind...

I feel like I want to shout this out - that's how important it is to me...

The above statement is a BLESSING to those girls.  NOT a curse.

Don't let the world have you think for one moment that pouring into them for the future is a problem.  They need to learn to work and work hard yes, but they also, definitely, need to learn to clean and care for a home and those who live in it.

As a daughter of a woman who didn't teach self care or how to clean a house - these things are crucial.  The lack of having them as ingrained habits affects me deeply - every day in ways I still haven't plumbed the depths of.

(self esteem, being able to be hospitable, peaceable spirit in midst of daily life, etc.)

I'm not blaming all those things on my mom, but having been taught habits and methods would be a blessing to me now in my own home.

Just wanted to throw that out there, sometimes we think making our kids learn new things is a mound of work for them and not worth it.

Yes, it is a mound of work but SO WORTH IT :)

hope this encourages and not condemns

Yup, my own paper towels and cleaners. I buy non-toxic/all natural stuff so that I can clean in small enclosures and not feel like hacking up a lung or dying of cancer.

I do all of the buying for him so I get what supplies I want to use and he pays for it.

Do you charge by the job or by the hour?

As a daughter of a woman who didn't teach self care or how to clean a house - these things are crucial.  

I have tried to teach DD things... she is very much like her dad and does not "see" dirt.  But also she is extremely sensitive to criticism in any area, and I have to be super careful or she just gives up on things.

When we moved recently she has her own bathroom for the first time and is responsible for cleaning it.  The first time she cleaned the floor (down on floor scrubbing) she called me in so proud to show me.  All I could see was all around the edges where she didn't get all the way to the edges there was just GUNK.  

DH glared at me silently (DO NOT SAY ANYTHING!) so I didn't.  She was so proud of herself...if I would have said anything she would have been in tears.  I did wait until next time she cleaned to mention to hey, try to get all the way to the edges here so you get this part...

I am wondering though if she will ever actually learn to clean.  

That's teaching :)

Provide opportunity and let her learn.  Teaching doesn't always mean correcting :)

Good for you, mom~!  You didn't scream, hit her in the head or make her do it all over again.

You used patience, wisdom and submitted to your hubby.

I say you did perfectly~ and I've learned something myself.

Ok, I'll bite and risk sounding totally cleaning uneducated...

What's wrong with windex to clean counters?

(I've never used anything but windex... :blushing: )

I think it would quite depend on how dirty they are......after cooking....grease or raw meat...window wouldn't work at all. But I often use a glass cleaner in my boss's counters that are just dusty because no cooks here. ( except me once a week).

Oh and that is all he wants me to use on the copper sinks in the bathrooms....other cleansers can damage the copper. I admit it doesn't feel like it would clean well enough but it always looks nice.

Kitchen counters--for daily wiping I just use a lightly soapy cloth. I will use a bit of SS if there is something that needs a little scrubbing to get out. It is a Silestone-type counter with a honed finish. It will never be "shiny."

I just bought a jar of the Branch Basics concentrate and am looking forward to trying it. Used it on the shower tiles yesterday, scrubbed a bit me it worked great. I suggested it to the cleaning lady and she seems pretty insistent on the bleach and soft scrub in the bathroom (and it's just not that dirty :-/). I just hate the toxic smell and don't want it around my kids today is the second day of her deep clean. She's getting stuff done that I would not be right now so I'm going to shut my pie hole for a bit and just be thrilled. :)

Scarlett--the copper sinks sound gorgeous!!