Menu

If retail employees are wearing religious messages

BrookValley.

FYI, regarding Starbucks....

http://www.snopes.com/politics/sexuality/starbucks.asp

green.gifTRUE: Howard Schultz affirmed the company's support for same-sex marriage at a shareholder meeting. 

red.gifFALSE: Howard Schultz said supporters of traditional marriage were not allowed to be Starbucks stockholders or desired as Starbucks customers.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boycotting them for having religious views they do not agree with seems pretty intolerant to me.  

But to answer the question, do you believe it is ok for a business to not provide a service to someone whose religious views they don't agree with?  How can you say one is intolerant but not the other?

And FYI, I am a Christian with pretty conservative *personal* beliefs, in case you were wondering.

I think if a person were to avoid every business where the person was a Christian (because the majority of Christians do not support gay marriage... that can be googled)... well, yes, that's ridiculous.  Boycotting them for having religious views they do not agree with seems pretty intolerant to me.  Now, if they are being completely rude and offensive to people... like ACTUALLY displaying HATE toward someone, well, boycott away.

Seriously:

1. NO ONE in this thread is boycotting strictly because of opinions held by employees.
  2. Wearing a divisive t-shirt can be hate. Some opinions ARE, indeed, hate.
  3. There is NO WAY to prove your non-fact about what the majority of Christians believe regarding homosexuality or gay marriage. The closest you can get is a majority of Christians polled. I'd encourage you to stop bandying about that "fact" or even believing it. The actual numbers would likely surprise you.

FYI, regarding Starbucks....

green.gifTRUE: Howard Schultz affirmed the company's support for same-sex marriage at a shareholder meeting. 

red.gifFALSE: Howard Schultz said supporters of traditional marriage were not allowed to be Starbucks stockholders or desired as Starbucks customers.

I really hope he did not say that... there are several articles out there saying he did.  I don't drink coffee, anyway, so it doesn't affect me.

On the other hand, if I am recalling correctly, Starbucks has said they do support gay marriage and anyone who doesn't SHOULD NOT shop there.

We all do well to verify such things before repeating them as fact.

In essence he said that their support of gay marriage wasn't affecting their profits and that if their support of gay marriage was a problem, there are other companies people can buy shares of.

Starbucks is based in Seattle. I can guarantee you, having lived in this area most of my life, that if they withdrew support due to the pressure they were receiving from a small number of stockholders it would have hurt their bottom line and shareholder value far more than the unsuccessful Dump Starbucks campaign.

But to answer the question, do you believe it is ok for a business to not provide a service to someone whose religious views they don't agree with?  How can you say one is intolerant but not the other?

And FYI, I am a Christian with pretty conservative *personal* beliefs, in case you were wondering.

Have Hobby Lobby or Chick-fil-A refused service to anyone?  

Seriously:

1. NO ONE in this thread is boycotting strictly because of opinions held by employees.
  2. Wearing a divisive t-shirt can be hate. Some opinions ARE, indeed, hate.
  3. There is NO WAY to prove your non-fact about what the majority of Christians believe regarding homosexuality or gay marriage. The closest you can get is a majority of Christians polled. I'd encourage you to stop bandying about that "fact" or even believing it. The actual numbers would likely surprise you.

I was just starting to discuss the topic with Tara when you jumped in and started going on about things that did not apply.  It was later that we determined what we were talking about boycotting over.  

I disagree with you.  Google it.

???  That has nothing to do with what I asked.  

Do you believe it is okay for a business to not provide a service to someone whose religious views they don't agree with?  And if you do believe that why is that okay but the other is intolerant?

???  That has nothing to do with what I asked.  

Do you believe it is okay for a business to not provide a service to someone whose religious views they don't agree with?  And if you do believe that why is that okay but the other is intolerant?

I can't tell if you are trying to bait me in discussing wedding cakes.  

Look, I don't go searching around for the affiliations and beliefs of the places I frequent or the companies I give my business to. I have not got the time or energy for that.

However, when a company makes a big enough stink about something that it hits MY radar......

Just like my choice not to donate money to the Red Cross over a local homeless shelter that is specifically for families does not mean I hate helping people who have survived a disaster, my choice not to give Hobby Lobby my money doesn't mean I hate Christians who own businesses.

I can't tell if you are trying to bait me in discussing wedding cakes.  

I'm not trying to bait you.  I just don't understand how you can hold those two positions simultaneously.  Do you really not see that they contradict each other?  Either they both are intolerant or neither is intolerant.    

Who knew banana-banana relationships would get us here...

For real.

I always thought it was those banana-orange match ups that were trouble.

I mean, if you had said pluot-pluot or plumcot-plumcot I could see the outrage. Those things are just unnatural! :P

It's not having the views, it's advertising the more divisive views in a business setting.

Obviously, one cannot find out - nor would wish to find out! - the personal views of every worker in every shop, everywhere. That would be crazy.

This tangent is in the context of workers allowed to expressive divisive messages to potential customers with the managers/owners permission. Meaning that a reasonable assumption can be made that the business supports a position on said divisive issue.

see - it's difficult for me because I find religion divisive by definition.

It's not really about the more divisive views for me. In a way, I prefer them to be out in the open. Let's not beat about the bush guys, just tell me what you really think  ;)

OP. I wouldn't assume much about the shop & I wouldn't stop shopping there. It would take more than that (crappy or rude service, being cheated etc)

I think I'd want to return with my own t-shirt. Because duelling t-shirts is the mature way to handle this.

Look, we disagree on pretty much everything but we're united in our love for good tahini! Celebrate!

FTR, I do boycott one category of shops: I will not buy anything from any shop that sells live animals.

I also have love pretty divisive slogan t-shirts. It's a good thing I don't work corporate any more.... 

I'm not trying to bait you.  I just don't understand how you can hold those two positions simultaneously.  Do you really not see that they contradict each other?  Either they both are intolerant or neither is intolerant.    

I have thought about that in great detail.  Unfortunately, I don't feel this topic can be discussed without the thread spiraling out of control with attacks... it wouldn't be on my end, either.  

I'd imagine they'd lose lots of customers if everyone opposed to gay marriage would refrain from buying their coffee, in the US at least.

They'd lose far more of the market share they are trying to maintain and grow with an anti-gay marriage stance.  

Starbucks outlets are most heavily present in urban and suburban areas.  Large population centers, which trend (even in conservative states) more liberal and pro-equal marriage than smaller towns and rural areas.  For a shareholder interested in the bottom line, an anti-gay marriage stance by Starbucks would be problematic to say the least.  

Here's an example of what I am saying.  Even in "red states", most population centers trend bluer than the outlying areas.  

http://www.thestranger.com/binary/2966/feature-21939.jpeg

I'm not sure how this came up (the bold).  It seems to be a completely different issue.  But if you know of a business in your neighborhood that does not provide service to someone on that basis, and you disagree with that, don't shop there.

I'm not aware of any business in my area that refuses anyone over beliefs.  I have heard of a few in the news, like that company that wouldn't make a birthday cake for a boy named Adolph Hitler, and some chapel that wouldn't marry a gay couple, a church that wouldn't do a gay person's funeral, a flower shop that wouldn't do flowers for a gay wedding.  These do happen but they seem few and far between.  And yeah, I think it is fine to take your business elsewhere for that reason.  But that's different from what is being discussed here, which is that a company either holds or tolerates a belief that some of its customers don't like.

I guess you're not comparing putting the name "Adolph Hitler" on a cake and doing a gay funeral? Because those things are really quite different. 

Yes and no.  They both involve a company that refused service based on a difference in beliefs.

I don't assume too many people will be boycotting the cake company, but it is one of the very few examples out there of a for-profit business saying "no thanks" to a profitable sale based on ideology.

But that's different from what is being discussed here, which is that a company either holds or tolerates a belief that some of its customers don't like.

I am not talking about boycotting businesses that refuse service. And, no one has said they would boycott a business simply because it was Christian.  In fact, most people have said they wouldn't go out of their way to determine the personal backgrounds of people owning a business.

What people have said is that if there is open, in your face behavior (lobbying, media, tshirts, whatever) that they would not choose to shop there because it would be blatantly clear that the business owners were holding and *acting* in support of a diametrically opposed belief.  They consider shopping there an expression of approval/support of that opposing belief.

So, flip over to the bakery/funeral home/whatever....those businesses are refusing service based on a the customer holding and acting in support of a diametrically opposed belief.  They consider providing service an expression of approval/support of that opposing belief.

It is not logical/rational/supportable to approve of the second case but call the first case intolerant. If anything, one of these parties is in a position of public service and the other one is not.  

I can tell this is going nowhere though, so I will drop it! ;)

Funny thing, I wear T-shirts every day.  I actually give some thought to which T-shirt I'm going to wear depending on where I'm going.  I won't wear the Hindu theme t-shirts to a Christian-themed activity.  But I wore one today to go to our chiropractor, because I sense they are more open about those things.

I don't have any shirts with intentionally divisive messages, but "divisive" can depend on where you're going etc.  And some people aren't likely to give it a lot of thought before they put on their T-shirt.  Not everyone is particularly intellectual or aware of the various sensitivities out in the big world.  Someone might have received a T-shirt for Christmas and not put a lot of thought into what the clientele at work is likely to think of it.

I'm not sure how this came up (the bold).  It seems to be a completely different issue.  But if you know of a business in your neighborhood that does not provide service to someone on that basis, and you disagree with that, don't shop there.

It is referring to the poster's opinion as expressed in previous threads, just as albeto's posting history is being brought up in this thread.

I don't think anyone is saying it impinges religious freedom to have a dress code as you describe.

But there are employers who don't have that kind of dress code.  And that's OK too.

There are jobs in which words on a T-shirt are not going to hold one back, assuming those words don't provoke a fistfight or worse.

Actually, several people on this thread have conflated this with religious freedom.  

While there are some jobs where shirts with words wouldn't be a problem (ie not based on general public customer interactions), I don't think there are any where the ability to wear a shirt with an ideological message is more important than the job.  

I am not talking about boycotting businesses that refuse service. And, no one has said they would boycott a business simply because it was Christian.  In fact, most people have said they wouldn't go out of their way to determine the personal backgrounds of people owning a business.

What people have said is that if there is open, in your face behavior (lobbying, media, tshirts, whatever) that they would not choose to shop there because it would be blatantly clear that the business owners were holding and *acting* in support of a diametrically opposed belief.  They consider shopping there an expression of approval/support of that opposing belief.

So, flip over to the bakery/funeral home/whatever....those businesses are refusing service based on a the customer holding and acting in support of a diametrically opposed belief.  They consider providing service an expression of approval/support of that opposing belief.

It is not logical/rational/supportable to approve of the second case but call the first case intolerant. If anything, one of these parties is in a position of public service and the other one is not.  

I can tell this is going nowhere though, so I will drop it! ;)

OK, I'm not sure I'm understanding your question.  So now you are saying it is right to boycott businesses who are in-your-face nasty to you?  Well that is kind of a no-brainer.  I don't see anyone here disagreeing with that.

I could be wrong, but I'm assuming the offense many are vaguely referring to here is the Chick-fil-A owner.  My understanding was that someone outed his company as a donor to Focus on the Family, which has more than one agenda, but is known to be anti-gay marriage.  So the Chick-fil-A dude was asked outright for his personal opinion on gay marriage.  So he said he personally thought marriage is between a man and a woman.  (Because his other options were to lie, or to refuse to answer.)

I've been in Chick-fil-A and there is nothing in there that disrespects anyone of any faith or sexual identity.  They sell food, and what struck me was how pleasant their employees always are.  Other than that, it's just like going to any other fast food place.  If there were anti-gay signs etc. as is implied here, then yeah, that would be gross.  Who would want their kids seeing that and asking questions about homophobia over their chicken sandwich?  Most people are not looking for more ugly in their world.

OK, I'm not sure I'm understanding your question.  So now you are saying it is right to boycott businesses who are in-your-face nasty to you?  Well that is kind of a no-brainer.  I don't see anyone here disagreeing with that.

I could be wrong, but I'm assuming the offense many are vaguely referring to here is the Chick-fil-A owner.  My understanding was that someone outed his company as a donor to Focus on the Family, which has more than one agenda, but is known to be anti-gay marriage.  So the Chick-fil-A dude was asked outright for his personal opinion on gay marriage.  So he said he personally thought marriage is between a man and a woman.  (Because his other options were to lie, or to refuse to answer.)

I've been in Chick-fil-A and there is nothing in there that disrespects anyone of any faith or sexual identity.  They sell food, and what struck me was how pleasant their employees always are.  Other than that, it's just like going to any other fast food place.  If there were anti-gay signs etc. as is implied here, then yeah, that would be gross.  Who would want their kids seeing that and asking questions about homophobia over their chicken sandwich?  Most people are not looking for more ugly in their world.

I happen to agree with you about Chik-fil-a. I'm fine with Chik-fil-a, and I agree that the owner was kind of cornered about it rather than purposefully making a point of it.  

But I can see why others might have a problem with where the money goes.  And I would not consider it intolerant.  I would consider that for them, the owner's actions violate a deeply held belief, and that makes them not comfortable being there. Why is that intolerant? Someone with deeply held beliefs should be even more understanding of that, not less.  Unless you (general you) think your deeply held beliefs are somehow more valid than another's. 

That's the point I was making.  It's fine to think it's stupid/pointless/annoying to boycott for those reasons.  But to call it intolerant, while expecting your own beliefs to be treated with respect, is hypocritical.

If there were no other signs that the shop was of a particular religious nature, then I'd probably lean toward employee's expression.  But I would assume that the owner/operator was if not of the same religious bent then very tolerant of said religion.

Not that you asked but their religion and expression of it wouldn't keep me from shopping there.  If they expressed intolerance then I'd shop somewhere else.  So if the shirt said "my god is the only god" then I might have to either leave or say something to someone.  

I happen to agree with you about Chik-fil-a. I'm fine with Chik-fil-a, and I agree that the owner was kind of cornered about it rather than purposefully making a point of it.  

But I can see why others might have a problem with where the money goes.  And I would not consider it intolerant.  I would consider that for them, the owner's actions violate a deeply held belief, and that makes them not comfortable being there. Why is that intolerant? Someone with deeply held beliefs should be even more understanding of that, not less.  Unless you (general you) think your deeply held beliefs are somehow more valid than another's. 

That's the point I was making.  It's fine to think it's stupid/pointless/annoying to boycott for those reasons.  But to call it intolerant, while expecting your own beliefs to be treated with respect, is hypocritical.

I vote with my pocketbook all the time.  I see nothing wrong with it.  However, there are times when I feel like people are looking for a reason to be offended.

Are you being serious? Maybe I am misunderstanding... please explain which argument I shouldn't be using. And, please, lets refrain from the personal attacks. It's hateful.

I quoted you and posted in regard to your use of the word "bullying." It is offensive and an incorrect use of the word.

I am not personally attacking anyone.

Holy Moly, I go and spend my day knee deep in read alouds, facilitating math, and playing diplomat in the latest round of sibling unrest only to come back and find that we've gone from, "what would you as a customer think" to "OMG gay agenda!"

We miss all the fun by going and teaching our kids. Tomorrow we should just hang out here and let them fend for themselves! :D

I don't care as long as it isn't hateful.

For example. "Marriage is for one man and one woman?" Alright. "Gays are going to hell." No.

Or "coexist"? Meh. The Pope depicted as the anti-christ. No.

I'm not against freedom of expression in the workplace IF the employer is okay with it, and I also support them if they aren't or if they want the message to match their company rather than an employee.

I don't do a ton of research into companies bc my limited funds mean I often can't afford to shop around. But if offended or if I don't want to support their message, I have no qualms complaining and or taking my money elsewhere and I respect others doing the same.

I still like cheesecake, but alas, do not have a shirt that depicts my support. I will wear my Supernatural t-shirt this week, the one with the pentagram on it. I will also wear it with my plaid shirt while I drive my Impala. I am making a statement with that ensemble. 

I do not have a job, just a student/homeschool teacher. Wearing the shirt does not mean my school in any way supports the hunting of supernatural beings. I will also see my mother when I am wearing that shirt this week, she may roll her eyes and ask. I will tell her the good news about Sam & Dean. 

I still like cheesecake, but alas, do not have a shirt that depicts my support. I will wear my Supernatural t-shirt this week, the one with the pentagram on it. I will also wear it with my plaid shirt while I drive my Impala. I am making a statement with that ensemble.

I do not have a job, just a student/homeschool teacher. Wearing the shirt does not mean my school in any way supports the hunting of supernatural beings. I will also see my mother when I am wearing that shirt this week, she may roll her eyes and ask. I will tell her the good news about Sam & Dean.

We must all share the good news about Sam and Dean. That goes without saying. If you are driving along, and see a frazzled homeschool mom taking pics and honking at you in your Impala, pentagram & flannel - it's just me. Carry on.

Sorry to hijack. Any mention of Sam and Dean gets me all worked up. :)

BV, in the new dress code, maybe Suoernatural shirts can have a pass, as long as they are not divisive?

We miss all the fun by going and teaching our kids. Tomorrow we should just hang out here and let them fend for themselves! :D

Hey, just because I'm not teaching my kids doesn't mean they aren't learning!

At this moment they are consolidating their math facts by trying to teach the dog arithmetic. Apparently if you show a puppy "1+1", and put out two bits of dog kibble, and the puppy eats the food, that proves he can add  :lol:  (clearly I need to work with them on experimental design principles).

I'm watching Gilmore Girls for the first time and it took me a couple episodes to revise Rory's first boyfriend is Sam Winchester. I'd been trying to pin what I knew him from and then her boyfriend comes over to movie night with a salad to go with his salad and I'm yelping, "OH! Sam Winchester!" And my kids were, "Who is that?" Because they have never seen supernatural. lol

But ...so what?

I understood the OP to be asking what our impressions would be if we walked into a retail store and saw employees wearing religious messages. I would assume the employee reflects the image the business wished to promote. I word different clothes working in a bank than I did working in a preschool. The images I presented were different (professional, vs child friendly) because the functions of those jobs were different. I would assume a blatant message (as opposed to an identifying article, such as a hajib or necklace, for example) was part of the image the business desired to promote to the public.

Whether one employee is wearing a shirt with a message you abhor (any Christian message, for you) or a team of 10 employees are wearing them, does that make a difference in your shopping?  Will you walk out if you see someone wearing a T-shirt you dislike?

It would, yes. I like burgers, but I'm not interested in going into Hooters. I have no ethical problem with Hooters (well, except I kinda do), but I consciously choose to grab a quick dinner elsewhere when we go to the movies as a family, even though they're convenient. That's an example of messages I don't necessarily abhor but don't want to spend time focusing on (ie, "you can stare at their hooters - they don't mind! Trust me!").

I would not walk out of a store after noticing the pattern, but if I know a shop is peddling some message I find problematic, I would avoid going there in the future, especially if I can find alternatives that don't make me feel like I'm betraying my ethics.  

Do you select your stores/places of business on the basis of the political or religious beliefs of the employees?

Sometimes. When I have a choice, or when my guilt gets the best of me.

I don't.  I go where the price is the best and the service is good, so long as we aren't talking about the "Ku Klux Klan Burgers" or someplace overtly and intentionally divisive.

Exactly. Only I consider churches to be intentionally divisive.

The bold is offensive and inaccurate. I'm sure albeto doesn't "hate any Christian message" and I'm sure albeto indeed hates a variety of messages.

To be fair, TM and I are familiar enough with each other that she's right to presume there are Christian messages I do hate with the fury of a thousand white-hot suns. Well, no. Not quite. Maybe with the vexation of a middle aged woman and ferocious mama bear who's tired and grumpy and has low blood sugar and might just could cry if she only stopped clenching her teeth for a moment because the message is so mean spirited and hurtful and hateful and mean people suck the life out of life and that is just so totally cruel and awful because life is hard enough as it is why make it worse on people just to appease your own fears? Or something like that. ^_^

For real.

I always thought it was those banana-orange match ups that were trouble.

I mean, if you had said pluot-pluot or plumcot-plumcot I could see the outrage. Those things are just unnatural! :p

But they are soooo delicious.

When I have pluots I tell my family that I think the plums are bad because they look funny. Then I eat them.

I like to know if a store has particular religious affiliations, so I can decide whether or not I want my money to go there.

Me too. And being a SoCal resident, I have to say I can pass up a Chick-Fil-A LONG before I would pass up an In-n-Out. But all the same, the psalms on the bottom of their cups do bug me as a Non-

Christian.