Menu

Dear CNN

Laurie4b

Yes, it is awful. I do not need that huge font, and it's impossible to find anything.

It looks as if they tried with all their might to make their content appear dumbed down and in line with other online sites.

I also do not want the ticker at the bottom, or any of the automatically starting videos.

I just want to read the news.

Disappointed.

It started on New Years Day.  I keep going to it hoping they have gone back to the old format. I hate it and haven't read much on it since the change and I have really tried a couple of times. I find it very hard to navigate. It may be time to send them an e-mail.

Edit:  You have spurred me on to contact them with my displeasure. I had to scroll down their main page for what seemed like forever but I did find the "contact us" button on the bottom. I begged for a return to the old format.

Yes, I hate it. I've switched my home page to BBC America.

I hate it, too. I should try using BBC America. Theie general news site is my second hit after the national news each morning.

I've switched to the NYT as a home page, but I liked CNN when I could see about 20 headlines at a glance. I may not love their "articles" but it was nice to see the day at a glance quickly.

Everyone's doing it.  Local news websites... my LIBRARY of all places.

I suspect it has something to do with handheld devices.  For some reason, this is easier?  At least, that's how it was explained to me when I complained to a local news website.  They want it to work on "all devices".  (Maybe the screen's so small actual print can't be read?)

I won't do gratuitous scrolling.  I'm avoiding those sites for now -- and telling them why.  Nothing will change.  The best places write back and explain to my stupid self that it's an improvement.  Most don't bother to respond.

The one place I can't avoid is the library site.  I'm pretty angry about that.  But then, they've had a stupid site through a number of upgrades.  This is just the latest disaster.

Yes, I'm annoyed. I like to get an overall view by a scan of the headlines, then go through and pick out the ones I want to follow up on. This change makes me feel all scattered and disorganized, and it is hard to just look and see what I have read and not read.

Everyone's doing it.  Local news websites... my LIBRARY of all places.

I suspect it has something to do with handheld devices.  For some reason, this is easier?  At least, that's how it was explained to me when I complained to a local news website.  They want it to work on "all devices".  (Maybe the screen's so small actual print can't be read?)

I won't do gratuitous scrolling.  I'm avoiding those sites for now -- and telling them why.  Nothing will change.  The best places write back and explain to my stupid self that it's an improvement.  Most don't bother to respond.

The one place I can't avoid is the library site.  I'm pretty angry about that.  But then, they've had a stupid site through a number of upgrades.  This is just the latest disaster.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't "work" on my laptop. I tried several times to reset "view" because I thought I had messed something up. It's just awful.

Hey, while you are writing maybe you can add a paragraph for me about how "CNN Airport" is often played indiscriminately at airports and that during the holiday season there are a higher proportion of families with kids flying. Including shows about call-girls and related professions is, perhaps not considering their full market...

This was a major design failure.  Not only is the redesign over-the-top visually nauseating, but the headlines were dumbed down so much that I can't tell what they're talking about.  One would think that communication of information would be the goal of a news site; apparently not for CNN.

I almost always check the news on my phone and the mobile site has gone to all video. Can't journalists write articles anymore? I all for some video and/or live feeds (as Fox seems to be doing with the French events), but I don't want all my news in a video clip and that's all CNN will give me right now.

Going to try BBC.

This is my one and only use for Twitter. I don't tweet or let anyone "follow" me (nothing to follow anyway). But I follow a variety of news agencies, etc. It allows me to get headlines at a glance and I can click and read further if I'm interested.

I use Twitter exactly the same way.