Menu

Another catastrophic bushfire day

Pod's mum

Yesterday was up in the mid 40 c and a fire started in a national park.

Today I awoke early to a thick dust gale and the fire has spread through the night.

We are safe however the current fires are tearing through the hills hemming the state capital which is full of gullies, bush and families. It is a popular area with home schoolers too. One family we know of evacuated yesterday and they don't know if their property is one of those lost. They are by no means alone.

It is so bad with the wind strength and direction that they are talking of standing down all fire fighting units as well as the water dumping aircraft. They can not stop this one.

I don't even know how eastern states are doing as I'm remaining tuned to local state radio for ongoing updates and watching out for new ones that may effect us. They have just declared a state emergency.

How are you easterners coping?

The fires around our area were at emergency status but have been contained for about a week, I think. We're keeping our eyes on the fire sites and wind direction though.

The fires over west were downgraded from emergency to watch and act overnight.

My aunt's sister lives in the Adelaide hills and was still home yesterday arvo. I don't know why...

I don't really want to imagine what February will be like.

What kind of emergency/evacuation plans do y'all have in place? Does a below ground shelter work? Is a bush fire like a prairiegrass fire, burning through fast and quick as it moves on to other fuel, or is it more like a forest fire?

A bushfire can refer to either a grass fire or woodlands, at this time of year.

Below ground shelters can work but have to be carefully constructed. I don't know what the details are or whether they change according to location.

When I lived in the bush, the emergency plan was not to be home. There were plans for if we were caught unawares and it was too late to leave. You want to talk to Melissa, who will probably pop in tonight. They have strategies in place to defend their home.

I never knew how bad wildfires can be until I moved to Texas, and I haven't even been that close...wait, I'm remembering a small one that a neighbor started and it spread. It was a small ranch in back of our property but the burn ban was in effect. It spread quickly but fortunately the firefighters got it under control within 45 minutes.

:grouphug:

Another time, the next county over and about an hour from here, there was an out of control fire, burned for more than a week and made it hard to go outside because of the smoke. So, what I'm saying is that you have my attention. I don't know that I could ever get used to living where fires are a regular occurrence and can destroy everything you own.

The conditions of this one is looking similar to the dreadful Victorian one a few years ago.

The extreme heat and speed can kill before you can even see the fire.

Rosie is right, evacuation is the only safe option.

If you know what you are doing, are well set up, and not on a hillside etc, than you may be able to defend your house. This is largely putting out spot-fires that try to start in eaves etc after the front has passed.

However certain fires are undefendable and create their own wind. The Vic one was such a fire. Fire plans were drastically changed following that, which is why our firefighters will be stood down if conditions demand. Our fire fighters are volunteers. Very well trained, but risking their lives for other's property while not available to defend their own. Two of our local units were surrounded in the January fires last year, while assisiting another area in separate incidences. No loss of life only due to water-bombing.

Was planning to take my niece to the Hills this week to Gumaracha...guess that won't be happening now. We had a grass fire start out at Murray Bridge but it was put out easily. Hoping nothing starts out here where I am cause DH is in Canada and I have 4 little kids in the house.

This is the big bummer about living in the country.

Neighbours lost their house. Kids and I are out, dh is dealing with embers etc. very grateful to the cfs now.

:grouphug:  Hope your house is safe. Scary stuff. Lived through fire season in the Sierras and the smoke in the air, the fear that it's coming toward you, planning to get all animals out and taken care of and making emergency plans for families can be overwhelming.

Please keep us updated.

As bad as the news stories sound, considering the fires from 5 years ago, I hope you evacuate if warned to. I hope you don't tough it out.

As long as there is somewhere to evacuate to. That is another of those not so fun things about living in the country.

As long as there is somewhere to evacuate to. That is another of those not so fun things about living in the country.

Are there more than one route out? This was a problem where I lived. How far is it from you and how fast is it spreading?

Can you go visit someone on the other side of the country NOW?  :laugh:

This brings back some uncomfortable memories.

Southern Californian here who knows all too well about living with hot, dry, windy conditions and wild fires.  And being surrounded by eucalyptus and dry brush designed to burn.  It is the worst -- being glued to the tv, going out and scanning the horizon, judging the winds and how far away the fire is, packing the car.  

Sending my love and hugs to you all Down Under, and hoping for conditions to change for the better and soon.  I know you won't be sleeping well while fire conditions last.

Are there more than one route out? This was a problem where I lived. How far is it from you and how fast is it spreading?

Can you go visit someone on the other side of the country NOW?  :laugh:

This brings back some uncomfortable memories.

Firslty, I'm not in any particular danger at the moment. The fires near me have been contained for about a week. It's the South Australian ladies who are in the most danger at the moment. They're saying these are the worst fires since Ash Wednesday in '83.

Secondly, the fire brigade on the other side of the country are a bunch of incompetents, my mother says, so I don't trust them! 

Maybe our South Australian buddies here should go sit in the desert? !!

(There is more than one road out of our town, but that's no help if there are fires along each of them like there was a few weeks back.)

Firslty, I'm not in any particular danger at the moment. The fires near me have been contained for about a week. It's the South Australian ladies who are in the most danger at the moment. They're saying these are the worst fires since Ash Wednesday in '83.

Secondly, the fire brigade on the other side of the country are a bunch of incompetents, my mother says, so I don't trust them!

Maybe our South Australian buddies here should go sit in the desert? !!

(There is more than one road out of our town, but that's no help if there are fires along each of them like there was a few weeks back.)

We pretty much owe the fact that our house is still there to the sa firies so be nice (:

Info is a little slow though.

We pretty much owe the fact that our house is still there to the sa firies so be nice (:

You're not the other side of the country! (Mum lived in Perth for 10 years so is complaining about WA.) You've also Victorian crews and they said another state but not which one. Do you know if it is NSW or Tassie?

Much damage to your house?

A bushfire can refer to either a grass fire or woodlands, at this time of year.

Below ground shelters can work but have to be carefully constructed. I don't know what the details are or whether they change according to location.

When I lived in the bush, the emergency plan was not to be home. There were plans for if we were caught unawares and it was too late to leave. You want to talk to Melissa, who will probably pop in tonight. They have strategies in place to defend their home.

we have an extensive bushfire plan. We are surrounded by bush, and coastal scrub. we have water barrels stationed at key locations around the outside of the house. we also have a water dam ( I think the North American term is a water pond) with a huge fire fighting pump  attached. on 3 sides of the house we have fire fighting hoses attached, and the water can come from either the dam or the huge water tanks stationed right behind the house.

as a last retreat the laundry/ oldest ds bedroom is not attached to the house. the floor is just under 1 metre under ground, and the cladding is corrugated tin. it is sandwiched between the house, the concrete water tanks and the steel shed.

We have had to slightly adapt our fire plan with the arrival of the twins. as they are still under the guardianship of DHS if it is a code red fire day I have to evacuate with them the evening before. I am hoping that there is no code red day this year.

You're not the other side of the country! (Mum lived in Perth for 10 years so is complaining about WA.) You've also Victorian crews and they said another state but not which one. Do you know if it is NSW or Tassie?

Much damage to your house?

Sorry... Not thinking my best...

House is fine and all pets and livestock. We are very very lucky.

I think Nsw crews are here and the water bombers are doing good work now. Conditions are heaps better. It's quite still and cooler.

Conditions are much better today without those strong hot winds.

However we have a couple more tough days coming up. Also a large danger to life is falling trees etc that have been fire damaged.

A fire truck was taken out last night by a falling burnt tree. Thankfully no firefighters on board at the time.

We were expecting (I think) 200 hundred volunteer fire fighters from Vic and the same from NSW last night. This would have given our guys their first sleep in two days.

Much appreciated.

Our Premier gave a stunning speech yesterday about the decision to stay and the mental strength needed to stay.

He said if you've decided to stay but are having second thoughts, leave NOW if you are still able to. Most fire deaths are due to people leaving too late.

He spoke very well. It would have put me in the car if I was in the area.

Yesterday's updates did include "If you live in the ... area is is too late to leave. The fire is too unpreditable and roads are not safe."

Today is much better, but the fire is still burning and can reflare in areas it has passed so people need to be prepared for the rest of the week.

We had some rain here yesterday but with the wind and how dry the ground is it was all bone dry again very soon.

There's not been real rain since August after a very wet winter, so lots of very dry fuel around.

I can't find his speech but here's a link to the fires..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-03/adelaide-hills-face-most-dangerous-fire-day-since-ash-wednesday/5998294 

You all have my deepest sympathy. I live 1/4 mile away from the evacuation line from one of the largest forest fires in the US this year and we had some tense, tense days. I still have my family photos sitting out but fire danger should be over here for the year. Two people I know lost their homes, and both were elderly. It was hard for them, and hard for our whole community to see them suffer. 

Gracious, I had no idea this was such a huge issue for Australia.  Does this happen regularly this season, or is there something specific about this year that is making it especially bad?

Neighbours lost their house. Kids and I are out, dh is dealing with embers etc. very grateful to the cfs now.

How awful.  Relieved that you all are safe, and so sorry about your neighbors.

Gracious, I had no idea this was such a huge issue for Australia.  Does this happen regularly this season, or is there something specific about this year that is making it especially bad?

Both. Fires start in NSW in September-ish and carry on through the southern states until about March. The weather has been particularly nasty this year. Spring barely happened.

How awful.  Relieved that you all are safe, and so sorry about your neighbors.

Absolutely a huge issue for everyone living outside of the middle of a city in Australia. outer suburbs are not safe either. IT is just one of those things we have to deal with every summer. there have  always been bushfires, but the size and intensity seems to be growing. some years are way worse than others. you do not know which years are worse until you are right in the midst of it.

Ds18 is in the summer bushfire fighting crew this year after completing 2 years of training. He is stationed in some of the remotest part of Victoria that you can get.

Feeling for all those affected by the fires.  Fire is such a constant threat in Australia, where for six months of the year the ground is so dry and the vegetation very dry.  Here in country WA, we had electrical storms a few nights back, and the lightning started a fire in a bush paddock on our neighbours farm.  Thankfully it was discovered pretty soon, and all the farmers from miles around brought their fire units and were able to contain it.  It's still burning today, but they have a few people there constantly monitoring it.  Lightning fires in the summer in farmland can be awful, ripping through dry crops or stubble at alarming speed and wiping out many thousands of hectares very quickly.  It's so amazing to see the community spirit when fire, or other disasters occur.  I guess there's got to be positives in amongst the negatives. 

Absolutely a huge issue for everyone living outside of the middle of a city in Australia. outer suburbs are not safe either. IT is just one of those things we have to deal with every summer. there have  always been bushfires, but the size and intensity seems to be growing. some years are way worse than others. you do not know which years are worse until you are right in the midst of it.

Ds18 is in the summer bushfire fighting crew this year after completing 2 years of training. He is stationed in some of the remotest part of Victoria that you can get.

How often do you have contact with your son, Melissa? Two years of training, is this his career? Of course we all hope he stays safe, along with everyone else. We watched a program on public TV a couple of years ago about the most recent big fire.

I don't know if I could bear to live out there. :grouphug:

My son is about 2 hours drive away. I live on the edge of whoop whoop ,he is in it :D . He completed a Diploma of Conservation and Environment. part of the Deploma was fire management and behavior. part of the Diploma  was to do with regeneration, and part about pest species. He would like to eventually move into work related to pest species and their management, but the fastest way to get a job in DEPI or Parks is to get into the summer crew and get noticed.

of course everyone who works in DEPI and PARKS has to also do firefighting in some capacity in the summer months.