Menu

The de Blasio snub

poppy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in CT right now so we are getting all the news all day long on this issue.

The police are VERY angry at statements made by the mayor regarding changes that need to happen in the culture of the NYPD.

In their anger they hold the mayor partly responsible for fueling the rage at the police that most likely led to the deaths of the two officers.

It is anger, rage, grief and all those emotions running through the NYPD at the moment.  In a while many might regret the actions at the funeral but right now things are too recent and too painful.

I don't watch tv news and I hadn't been aware of the full story. I am just reading now that he came into office after working as a public advocate and that he has a biracial teenaged son. What an ugly situation. I think, hope that the NYPD will come to regret this decision on this sad day.

All I know about that situation is what I have gathered from the news media - and we all know how accurate and unbiased they are. But I do know that it wouldn't be right for me to pass judgement on what they did, either as a positive or a negative action. I wasn't there, I am not a police officer. I am not involved in that situation.

All I know about that situation is what I have gathered from the news media - and we all know how accurate and unbiased they are. But I do know that it wouldn't be right for me to pass judgement on what they did, either as a positive or a negative action. I wasn't there, I am not a police officer. I am not involved in that situation.

Not many people felt that way about the Ferguson protestors.

I have zero problem with political speech by a union , but, using a funeral of men killed too young as a soapbox is distasteful, to me.

I don't see evidence of the snub including officers of African American decent.

I can't post on this device, but I found few stories in a quick search about black officers being victims of racial profiling. The mayor is hyper aware of racial profiling because of his son. I suspect the police union has not taken a good look at the black officers in their ranks.

The police officers and others inside the funeral clapped politely both before and after he spoke. The LEOs watching the monitor outside turned their backs when he spoke. I'm guessing they thought it may be their only opportunity to make a statement. I think a lot of them are very, very angry with the mayor. There was a lot of anger even before the two cops were killed. I also think a lot of them saw it as support for the fallen officers. They didn't disrupt the funeral or anything and I think the snubbing was one of the ways they expressed their grief. Emotions are pretty high right now...they may regret the snub later when things have calmed down.

This is the statement they're angry about:

"This is profoundly personal for me. I was at the White House the other day, and the president of the United States turned to me, and he met Dante a few months ago, and he said that Dante reminded him of what he looked like as a teenager. And he said, I know you see this crisis through a very personal lens. I said to him I did. Because Chirlane and I have had to talk to Dante for years, about the dangers he may face. A good young man, a law-abiding young man, who would never think to do anything wrong, and yet, because of a history that still hangs over us, the dangers he may face—we’ve had to literally train him, as families have all over this city for decades, in how to take special care in any encounter he has with the police officers who are there to protect him."

source

and in a very tense climate where there are many protests calling for police to BE KILLED.

you must also consider some of the things some protesters chant

- what do we want, dead cops, when do we want them, now. 

for every black man that dies at the hand of a cop, we will kill two

those are just two of the things being chanted by protesters to which deblasio then added his comments.  he could have said things to try and calm things down.  he didn't.

Well, calandalsmom, his statement is pretty much saying that every police officer out there is a hateful racist, who will unfairly target a black person. I could see why the police officers would be offended by his sweeping characterization.

The mayor's statement was pretty much saying that every police officer out there is a hateful racist, who will unfairly target a black person. I could see why the police officers would be offended by his sweeping characterization.

Do you think it is not true- that a black male should not take any special caution around police?

If you had a black son and lived in NYC, might you feel differently?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/18/killed-by-the-nypd-black-men_n_5600045.html

This is the statement they're angry about:

"This is profoundly personal for me. I was at the White House the other day, and the president of the United States turned to me, and he met Dante a few months ago, and he said that Dante reminded him of what he looked like as a teenager. And he said, I know you see this crisis through a very personal lens. I said to him I did. Because Chirlane and I have had to talk to Dante for years, about the dangers he may face. A good young man, a law-abiding young man, who would never think to do anything wrong, and yet, because of a history that still hangs over us, the dangers he may face—we’ve had to literally train him, as families have all over this city for decades, in how to take special care in any encounter he has with the police officers who are there to protect him."

source

The mayor's statement was pretty much saying that every police officer out there is a hateful racist, who will unfairly target a black person. I could see why the police officers would be offended by his sweeping characterization.

Fifiruth, could you break that down a little so I can understand your take on this?  

My reading of the mayor's remarks was basically, "We teach our son to be extra-polite and respectful to the police officers who are there to protect him, so that the officers (who are potentially putting their life on the line with every encounter with the public) understand that he is not someone they need to fear, and so that he does not inadvertently say or do something that would make the police officer misinterpret his intentions to be anything but peacefully cooperative."    

Your take on it seems to be about police officers intentionally targeting blacks, which is not at all what I'm getting from his statement.

I find it interesting that two people can read the same statement and get such totally different meanings from it.

I saw nobody saying there should be no protests in Ferguson (or about Ferguson).  I did see people saying protestors should not be looting, or calling for cops to be killed, or violently protesting things that aren't actually happening, or physically hurting and even killing people and calling that a "protest."

Turning one's back on the mayor really isn't comparable is it?

I saw nobody saying there should be no protests in Ferguson (or about Ferguson). I did see people saying protestors should not be looting, or calling for cops to be killed, or violently protesting things that aren't actually happening, or physically hurting and even killing people and calling that a "protest."

Turning one's back on the mayor really isn't comparable is it?

I heard a whole lot of people, including on this board , including yourself, express disgust at the Ferguson protestors. And I don't mean the looters. I mean the protestors who were "making this about race" , glorifying a thug, etc.

None of the Ferguson protestors were doing it on the city's dime as far as I know.

I respect the LEO's right to protest, even at a funeral, but I don't get it. The statement that mayor made did not sound like a blanket condemnation of the police department to me and I'm surprised it was taken that way.

People's hope that the mayor "got it" to some extent may have kept protests to a more peaceable level than they would have been had he proclaimed support for an action that 57% of the American public thought should have warranted indictment.  Calls for culture change within the NYPD would, I assume, include revisiting a police policy in which police would arrest someone for whom they could write a ticket instead. The man was still "using his words" when the officers took him down. It certainly appeared to be an unnecessary chokehold. Given that, for the mayor not to say something needed improvement would seem to be a statement tolerating what the great majority viewed (literally) as injustice.

Things that I have seen recommended for law enforcement culture change across the country are:

• body cams;
  • better training to include training in de-escalation, working with the mentally ill, and training to overcome implicit racism;
  • When there is a citizen killed by police, for there to be a way to investigate that that does not involve inherent conflict of interest (ie when a prosecutor is in charge of deciding whether to indict an officer when officers are usually on the prosecution "team.") 

None of these reforms is "anti-cop;" in fact, I believe all the reforms will better improve trust in communities and thus protect officer's lives.

I really do not understand the NYPD's protest, but one might conclude that the officers were uniformly affirming the need for Eric Garner's arrest and that the chokehold that led to his death was reasonable. I would think that would lead to increased tension between officers and protestors.

One of Eric Garner's daughters showed up at a memorial for the slain officers: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/23/eric-garner-daughter_n_6372464.html

I just had to come out and let their family know that we stand with them, and I’m going to send my prayers and condolences to all the families who are suffering through this tragedy," Snipes-Garner told ABC News. I have family that’s in the NYPD that I’ve grown up around, family reunions and everything,"  "So my family, you know, we’re not anti-police.†(I realize another daughter later tweeted an officer's address which is despicable.)

I saw a photo of an African American woman at a protest wearing a tee-shirt that read something like this: "I am against police brutality and I am against brutality against police." That pretty much sums up my point of view. I see no need for an either/or position. That's why I am genuinely puzzled at the NYPDs fight with de Blasio. I would think that good officers would support reform.

I heard a whole lot of people, including on this board , including yourself, express disgust at the Ferguson protestors. And I don't mean the looters. I mean the protestors who were "making this about race" , glorifying a thug, etc.

None of the Ferguson protestors were doing it on the city's dime as far as I know.

Don't put words in my mouth.  I never spoke or felt "disgust" about peaceful protests by anyone, about anything.

My opinion differed from yours about the substance of certain things.  That is completely different from believing anyone should not peacefully protest.  As a matter of fact, I welcome any peaceful expression of heartfelt sentiments, as long as it is not a veiled attempt to start something ugly.

Don't put words in my mouth.  I never spoke or felt "disgust" about peaceful protests by anyone, about anything.

My opinion differed from yours about the substance of certain things.  That is completely different from believing anyone should not peacefully protest.  As a matter of fact, I welcome any peaceful expression of heartfelt sentiments, as long as it is not a veiled attempt to start something ugly.

I never said the NYPD didn't have the right to protest.

I do think officers using a funeral to snub the mayor is pretty ugly. And since it's based on comments about race, I imagine the many NY  parents who have children of color (like the mayor) are jolted by the hostility even more than I am, from a distance.

Edited my original reply where I quoted itsheresomewhere...  I do not believe the Mayor should have been at the funeral. I do not believe the Mayor is an advocate of the NYPD. I do believe that the officer(s) involved in the death of the man who was selling illegal cigarettes on Staten Island should have been indicted by the Grand Jury for something. Manslaughter if not Murder... I do not believe the officer in Ferguson MO should have been indicted by the Grand Jury and he wasn't.  On TV this afternoon, a Black man said that Blacks are 13% of the U.S. population, but that they commit 50% of the murders. So, Black neighborhoods have more police presence. Most of those murders are against other Black people.  NYPD will continue to protect the Mayor and his family to the best of their ability at all times. They are professionals. 

Bingo, Lanny. Many of the cops and several family members had requested he not come because of his comments and the current tensions, and he ignored those requests. Poor, poor taste on his part.

Do you have a source for family members requesting the mayor not come? I was interested in that information, but so far the only thing I've found is a Washington Times article stating the Ramos family was fine with his presence at the funeral.

Anyway. I am generally with those who find using a funeral(any funeral) as a day of protest distasteful unless the deceased intended that. I feel that funerals should be about honoring the life lost, not protests. I understand that people have the right to do it, I just wish they would not.

Bingo, Lanny. Many of the cops and several family members had requested he not come because of his comments and the current tensions, and he ignored those requests. Poor, poor taste on his part.

I have read in three different news articles that the family asked the mayor to come to the funeral.

Lanny, curious about why you think he should resign ?

From outside, it looks like his 'crime' is being white but understanding and giving voice to black concerns. 

In what way do you hold him responsible for the deaths of the two officers ? Do you feel that empathising with black concerns gave aid and comfort to the shooter ?

His statements were very hostile to NYPD in the weeks before the execution of the 2 officers who were sitting in their patrol car.  His comments encouraged protests in NYC, where very violent things were encouraged.

i certainly understand about the Mayor having a son who is Black and the extra scrutiny that Black men in the USA receive from the police.

The Mayor lost the respect of what is probably the most important group of people working for NYC. The Police Department and Fire Department are never above criticism, but I do not believe the Mayor should have been making statements that were hostile to his police officers.   They protect him and his family, 24 hours a day and they will continue to do that.

I feel very sad for all the decent, law abiding, hard working Black people, who are terrorized by other Blacks. A Black man on TV this afternoon said that 13% of the U.S. population is Black, but that 50% of the murders and other violent crime are committed by Blacks. Most of that crime is against other Blacks. So the number of Black men killed by White police officers is trivial, compared to the number of Black men killed by other Black men.

I know, when I watch those very decent Black men on TV, that if they are on the street or in their cars, that they are subject to treatment I wish they would never receive.

That honest, hard working, law abiding Black people are subject to more scrutiny from the police is a very sad thing. More police officers are in Black neighborhoods because of the very high crime rates in those neighborhoods. They are there, trying to reduce crime against Black people.

ETA: @Sadie  After I posted this I read your thread. I don't have a link for you but if you google, I'm sure you will find print articles and videos of some statements he made in recent weeks.

His statements were very hostile to NYPD in the weeks before the execution of the 2 officers who were sitting in their patrol car.  His comments encouraged protests in NYC, where very violent things were encouraged.

i certainly understand about the Mayor having a son who is Black and the extra scrutiny that Black men in the USA receive from the police.

The Mayor lost the respect of what is probably the most important group of people working for NYC. The Police Department and Fire Department are never above criticism, but I do not believe the Mayor should have been making statements that were hostile to his police officers.   They protect him and his family, 24 hours a day and they will continue to do that.

Could you please link these? I have been really puzzled by the reaction of the NYPD but if there are things out there other than what I've seen, maybe that is the source of the tension.

ETA: I've scoured several sources including right wing sources which I would have expected to print any incendiary things he has said. I have found nothing other than de Blasio's comment about his own son, a comment which I have heard repeatedly from African Americans. It is not unusual and it is not "anti-police."

However, several pieces made it clear that there is a contract dispute with the police union that has nothing to do with the Eric Garner incident. That makes more sense to me. There was something that wasn't adding up. 

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2014/12/the-cops-vs-the-mayor-bill-de-blasios-big-headache/383943/

This is one of many articles I found that show a bad relationship between the mayor and police since the mayor's campaign.  I think the murder of the two cops was just one more thing at a time when the NYPD already feels they are being told they are doing it all wrong and being racist profilers.

I can't imagine the reaction to de Blasio would be better if he did not speak at the funeral of the assassinated officers.

Also, I can't imagine that he spoke at the funeral without the invitation of the officers' families. If the family members wanted his presence, that should be enough for all officers to show respect at the funeral. It's not like the mayor crashed the funeral for crying out loud.

Those in the church, including many police officers, applauded him before and after he spoke.

I don't see evidence of the snub including officers of African American decent.

I can't post on this device, but I found few stories in a quick search about black officers being victims of racial profiling. The mayor is hyper aware of racial profiling because of his son. I suspect the police union has not taken a good look at the black officers in their ranks.

j

The pics I saw showed officers of many races, including African American, with their backs to the screen.

This is simply not correct. Whatever family members were in charge of the funeral (I assume spouse or other next of kin) did not request the mayor not come and what's more they specifically gave him time to speak, which they needn't have done if they considered him unwelcome.

Can someone in law enforcement explain this one to me, because I'm stumped.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hundreds-of-nypd-snub-nyc-mayor-de-blasio/

I heard so much against the protestors in Ferguson.... but protesting at a funeral is ok?

They turned their backs on the mayor, quietly. No one shouted curse words or set anything on fire. Worlds of difference.

They turned their backs on the mayor, quietly. No one shouted curse words or set anything on fire. Worlds of difference.

I agree with this in general but still making protest statements at a funeral seems just over the line for me. The protest idea seems ok but more suitable for a city meeting or press conference than a funeral.

The other thing to remember that no matter how it is pitched, post hoc ergo propter hoc remains very much a fallacy. The mayor made some statements that some, really most, NYPD cops were angered by. His comments did not cause the protests and the protests did not cause the deaths of these two officers or injuries to the killer's girlfriend.

Blaming the mayor for the actions of this killer is as erroneous as the killer trying to rationalize his violence because of the Eric Garner case and other cases of police violence.

http://attn.com/stories/563/when-police-officers-turn-their-backs-our-elected-representatives-they-turn-their-backs

In a Dec. 21, 2014 article about the shooting, the Los Angeles Times referred to the New York City protests as “anti-police marches,†which is grossly inaccurate and illustrates the problem of perception the protestors are battling. The marches are meant to raise awareness of double standards, lack of adequate police candidate screening, and insufficient training that have resulted in unnecessary killings. Police are not under attack, institutionalized racism is. Trying to remove sexually abusive priests is not an attack on Catholicism, nor is removing ineffective teachers an attack on education. Bad apples, bad training, and bad officials who blindly protect them, are the enemy. And any institution worth saving should want to eliminate them, too. -Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Alveda King is a prolife activist who protests abortion and speaks out for prolife causes. She is not responsible for the crimes of the Eric Rudolphs of the world.

I thought part of the problem was what the mayor did NOT say, as well as the mayor's choice of time/place for what he DID say.  I guess it was viewed as part of a trend in perceived lack of appreciation for the folks who go out and risk their lives for others every day.  Obviously you won't ever find a media quote of what he *didn't* say.

I don't have an opinion on whether the cops do or don't have a legitimate beef against the mayor's policies.  I understand they did not do whatever "protest" is discussed here in the middle of the funeral, so as to disrupt it or whatever.  I will note that funerals tend to bring out the worst in people, not the best.  I could see myself turning my back on someone who came to a funeral with the obvious intent to make a political statement (in this case I assume the intent was damage control).  I think that is gross actually.

Shortly after the killing of the cops was announced, my friends in the cop community started posting "where are the protests now?"  I was interested to see how it would be brought up on this board, and unless I missed it, there was no mention of the cop killings here until someone found fault in the way the cops showed their emotion at the time of the funeral.  To me that says a lot.  Apparently it is not disturbing at all for cops to be murdered in cold blood.  That doesn't merit a post here.  But when some cops turn their backs at a screen showing their mayor, that is terrible enough to merit a post here.

I was interested to see how it would be brought up on this board, and unless I missed it, there was no mention of the cop killings here until someone found fault in the way the cops showed their emotion at the time of the funeral. To me that says a lot. Apparently it is not disturbing at all for cops to be murdered in cold blood. That doesn't merit a post here. But when some cops turn their backs at a screen showing their mayor, that is terrible enough to merit a post here.

You missed it.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/537044-nypd-officer-killed-another-critical-execution-style/?hl=%2Bnypd&do=findComment&comment=6091034

No one here, I am sure, is undisturbed by the execution of two public servants. It is that sort of black and white thinking, that any one that isn't only supportive of the police is anti-police, that helps make this situation so dicey.

I thought part of the problem was what the mayor did NOT say, as well as the mayor's choice of time/place for what he DID say. I guess it was viewed as part of a trend in perceived lack of appreciation for the folks who go out and risk their lives for others every day. Obviously you won't ever find a media quote of what he *didn't* say.

I don't have an opinion on whether the cops do or don't have a legitimate beef against the mayor's policies. I understand they did not do whatever "protest" is discussed here in the middle of the funeral, so as to disrupt it or whatever. I will note that funerals tend to bring out the worst in people, not the best. I could see myself turning my back on someone who came to a funeral with the obvious intent to make a political statement (in this case I assume the intent was damage control). I think that is gross actually.

Shortly after the killing of the cops was announced, my friends in the cop community started posting "where are the protests now?" I was interested to see how it would be brought up on this board, and unless I missed it, there was no mention of the cop killings here until someone found fault in the way the cops showed their emotion at the time of the funeral. To me that says a lot. Apparently it is not disturbing at all for cops to be murdered in cold blood. That doesn't merit a post here. But when some cops turn their backs at a screen showing their mayor, that is terrible enough to merit a post here.

There was a thread here but it was very short, less than 25 posts. This thread is double in length. That thread had about 900 views; this one is close to double that.

It reminds me of threads that ask for prayers or good thoughts that have dozens and dozens of views and a handful of responses. And on the same page of the board, there are less serious threads that have tons of responses. If I read a thread asking for good thoughts or prayers, I'll post in it. I can't understand NOT posting. To me, it'd be like seeing someone in pain and not asking if I could help.

I feel the same about the NYPD police getting killed thread. How could I read that and not express my sorrow?

There was a thread here but it was very short, less than 25 posts. This thread is double in length. That thread had about 900 views; this one is close to double that.

It reminds me of threads that ask for prayers or good thoughts that have dozens and dozens of views and a handful of responses. And on the same page of the board, there are less serious threads that have tons of responses. If I read a thread asking for good thoughts or prayers, I'll post in it. I can't understand NOT posting. To me, it'd be like seeing someone in pain and not asking if I could help.

I feel the same about the NYPD police getting killed thread. How could I read that and not express my sorrow?

I can only speak for myself about this issue, because I don't want to assume I know what other people do or think.

But in threads asking for prayers or good thoughts I usually post, but not always.  If one believes in the power of prayer and/or good thoughts, then wouldn't you believe those are just as effective whether they're offered with or w/o a post?  Whether I post or not, I usually revisit the thread many times to see if there's an update.  Which of course drives up the number of views.  So I interpret lots of views in those threads a bit differently than you do -- I see a high number of views as an indication of caring and concern.

As far as the thread about the police officer killings -- Really, what was there to say?  It was a horrible thing.  Would it have done any good to repeat that over and over and over?  There was nothing to argue or debate about it, was there?  I think it's safe to assume everybody here was in agreement on the awfulness of it (yes, I realize I'm contradicting my first sentence with this one ;)).  And it's not like there are family or friends of the officers who are members here, who might haven taken some comfort from many pages of replies.

I can only speak for myself about this issue, because I don't want to assume I know what other people do or think.

But in threads asking for prayers or good thoughts I usually post, but not always. If one believes in the power of prayer and/or good thoughts, then wouldn't you believe those are just as effective whether they're offered with or w/o a post? Whether I post or not, I usually revisit the thread many times to see if there's an update. Which of course drives up the number of views. So I interpret lots of views in those threads a bit differently than you do -- I see a high number of views as an indication of caring and concern.

As far as the thread about the police officer killings -- Really, what was there to say? It was a horrible thing. Would it have done any good to repeat that over and over and over? There was nothing to argue or debate about it, was there? I think it's safe to assume everybody here was in agreement on the awfulness of it (yes, I realize I'm contradicting my first sentence with this one ;)). And it's not like there are family or friends of the officers who are members here, who might haven taken some comfort from many pages of replies.

Belief or not in the power of prayer or focused good thoughts is not my point. My point is showing support to the poster asking for it.

I don't understand your point *there was nothing to argue or debate* in the officers being killed thread? What does arguing and debating have to do with that thread? Are you saying that would be the only reason to post in that thread?

You may need to work on your critical reading skills. It absolutely does NOT say that. It says that he needs to be careful every time he has an interaction with police, because one might treat him differently based on his race. Not that all police are racist, but that some are, and he needs to be careful every time. It's not like when you get pulled over the few racist cops will have a name tag that says, "I'm a racist cop" and the rest of them have a name tag that says, "I will treat you the same as a white kid and have zero implicit bias". The kid has to be careful every time, because you never know. 

I don't understand your point *there was nothing to argue or debate* in the officers being killed thread? What does arguing and debating have to do with that thread? Are you saying that would be the only reason to post in that thread?

No, that's not exactly what I'm saying.  Or maybe it is.

What I am saying is that having an issue to argue/debate/discuss typically results in more posts.  You know . . . more discussion.  And there wasn't much to lend itself to discussion in the thread about the shooting of the police officers.  It was a horrible thing.  Period.  So when there are no friends or family members of those officers here to offer personal condolences to, when (I think) everyone was in complete agreement that it was a horrible thing -- exactly what good would it have done, what end would it have served, for person after person to post how awful it was?  What would be the point?

Again, I'm only speaking for myself.  And my opinions on this aren't something I feel the need to defend.  I'm simply presenting a different POV than yours.

No, that's not exactly what I'm saying.

What I am saying is that having an issue to argue/debate/discuss typically results in more posts. You know . . . more discussion. And there wasn't much to lend itself to discussion in the thread about the shooting of the police officers. It was a horrible thing. Period. So when there are no friends or family members of those officers here, when (I think) everyone was in agreement that it was a horrible thing -- exactly what good would it have done, what end would it have served, for person after person to post how awful it was? What would be the point?

Again, I'm only speaking for myself. And my opinions on this aren't something I feel the need to defend. I'm simply presenting a different POV than yours.

No need to get testy with me. I was just asking for clarification on your post.

I never saw the tgread about the tragic murder of the officers.

Blaming the mayor and protesters for their unnecessary and horrific assassination and not the crazed evile shooter is .... An interesting choice

Another "intersting choice": to blame all police for "institutional racism" in connection to the previous deaths in Fergason and NY that were examined by a grand jury, which started these anti - police protests in the first place. This police assassination did not happen in a vacuum.