Should I Do School Tomorrow?

Jean in Newcastle

School on Thanksgiving?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should we do school tomorrow?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, you don't get another choice so don't click this

No Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.  We celebrate on Saturday with the Canadian relatives too.  The plan was to do school all this week.  The kids haven't complained at that plan.  We didn't even start this school year until the start of October because of my health problems and then my dad's death so we don't have a lot of school under our belt yet.  I have an Aspie who does best with routine.  If we don't do school he will try to hide in his room all day playing computer games.  Dh works tomorrow.  So school seems best to me.  But my p.s. friends are absolutely shocked at the thought of me making my kids study on Thanksgiving.  Thoughts?  I'll put a poll for those who just want to vote.  (Vote results are not binding!)  

last year we did school Christmas Eve and Boxing day and Thanksgiving. The kids never complained and we had lots of fun after they were done. People were horrified at me too, but really, if the kids were fine with it, I didn't see a reason to stop.

I almost voted yes, as that is what you seem to want to do.

Then, I thought about my experience in life as a homeschooler and I thought about how many times we as "teacher mom's" push on with school because of this intense pressure we place on ourselves to keep up with what we think we should be doing. I now look back and reflect and WISH I had taken more time off at the holiday's to establish traditions and make special memories.

School will be there Monday. Take a break from the regiment of school. Yes, I understand you are behind, but on those days you didn't do school there were no memories made. No bubbles blown, pictures painted or picnics eaten while chasing butterflies or flying a kite. Go do that with your kids being as you feel good at the moment. Enjoy them. They grow up and leave too soon. Make some Thanksgiving traditions that you can do with your kids in the future and make those memories!!

*just my two cents* of course :)

I wouldn't worry about what public school moms say. Do you follow their schedule completely? Do you school during their school hours on every day they are in school, and take breaks when they do? If you do, you wouldn't have planned to work this week, right? I'd say stick to your plans and do school.

Not in Canada but half of the family lives there and comes down for a second Thanksgiving.  The pigs.   ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:  Jean, did they give you something special at the doctor's office?

When I first read your title, I pictured children in rags sweating over algebra while the rest of the family gathers around the Thanksgiving table in unbridled merriment...well, then I read your entire post and now I am fine with your doing school tomorrow since your Thanksgiving will be on Saturday.

Happy Thanksgiving!

:lol: :lol: :lol:  Jean, did they give you something special at the doctor's office?

When I first read your title, I pictured children in rags sweating over algebra while the rest of the family gathers around the Thanksgiving table in unbridled merriment...well, then I read your entire post and now I am fine with your doing school tomorrow since your Thanksgiving will be on Saturday.

Happy Thanksgiving!

They gave me shots.  I wonder if homeschooling on holidays is a known side effect?  

Ds17 (the Aspie) is arguing now for the day off because "we always have the day off".  Dd12 (my usual school hater) is absolutely fine with doing school.  Weird.  I wonder if they got shots too and I didn't realize it?  

I doubt we'll do a full day.  The Y is open until 11 am and I know we'll pop over there for some Thanksgiving day exercise.  

You should do school purely because your PS friends think it is horrific and your kids will not mind at all and can act all happy and normal about having done school work on Thanksgiving if your PS friends ask.

I'm trying to decide myself if the kids will do school work tomorrow morning or not.

My first thought was "heck no!" but after I read your post.... sure, why  not?   This is not your holiday.  They will take off on your holiday.

Schools around here close for the important Jewish holidays.  My kids don't take the day off those days - we are not Jewish: we are not celebrating.  It's not our holiday.  (We do talk about the day as we try to talk about all the important holidays/holy days that are celebrated.  But that's different.)

Shoot, I voted before I read your situation.  After reading your situation I change my vote to 'yes' do school today.  Seems like there's no reason not to. 

We are not doing school b/c DH is home and my PS kids are off, so we're chilling out together (no Thanksgiving Dinner here). 

Sounds like a good chance to keep going instead of falling more behind.