Menu

Help me stay warm!

amyinva

I have never been bothered by the cold, and I live in VA, so it's never been a major concern. However, I now have rhematoid arthritis and Raynaud’s, and the cold worsens both.

I do not know how to pick out warm underthings, good gloves, etc. and would love some suggestions! I don't want anything too bulky, if possible. I also need a good coat- I like the 3-in1 styles with a down (or down alternative) inner layer. It's hard to find these that look nice though, and not like I'm heading for the slopes. I need to have something I can wear to work, as well as for more casual times.

Thank you!

Amy

I would start closer than your coat.  Get thee to a Target and get some cuddleduds.  It is a very thin long underwear type garments.  I know, I know, silk is supposed to be better, but silk is hard to come by and can be more expensive. The cuddleduds work just as well as silk. I have both and I can't tell the difference, but the cudddleduds are cheaper. I wear them under my pants all winter and spring long.  Heck, let's just say I need them 9 months out of the year.

Smartwool socks under cotton socks will keep your feet warm.

I have a thin down vest that fits under other coats etc that keeps me seriously toasty.

A silk scarf your neck will keep you warm and make an extra layer under your coat. I put it around my neck and over my chest under my sweater. It makes no bulk

And keep your hands warm at all time. You are maybe going to want glove or mitten liners made from silk.

What you are needing to avoid is the transition. So, when you come inside and take off your gloves pop on some woolen fingerless gloves to keep your hands warm.  Are you a knitter or do you know one?  I can knock off a pair of fingerless gloves in an afternoon. I wear them all winter. Keep that underlayer on when you get inside. Switch to dry socks inside, but keep those feet warm.  It is the going from warm to cold that makes your blood vessels close down and then they won't open again! yuck!

Layers will keep you warmer than anything.  I usually wear a sweater and a wool pea coat, and that keeps me warm during Minnesota winters and looks classic rather than sporty.  Mittens are much warmer than gloves, and if you're going to be brushing a lot of snow off your vehicle, you'll want them waterproof.  A slouchy style of hat looks modern and can be pulled down farther over your ears than a little knit cap.  A scarf will go a long way toward helping you stay warm.  Some people like wool socks, but I find wool scratchy and they don't seem to last as long.  I've had good luck with socks made of that soft, fuzzy acrylic stuff.  Make sure you get a good pair of boots.  Sorel boots are popular here, and they make a lot of different styles now.

I have never been bothered by the cold, and I live in VA, so it's never been a major concern. However, I now have rhematoid arthritis and Raynaud’s, and the cold worsens both.

I do not know how to pick out warm underthings, good gloves, etc. and would love some suggestions! I don't want anything too bulky, if possible. I also need a good coat- I like the 3-in1 styles with a down (or down alternative) inner layer. It's hard to find these that look nice though, and not like I'm heading for the slopes. I need to have something I can wear to work, as well as for more casual times.

Thank you!

Amy

How cold is it typically where you live? What do you typically wear?

Some thin long underwear will help a lot. Even a pair of footless tights under jeans will significantly up your warmth level.

Has your doctor discussed beta blockers with you for the Raynaud's? If you can tolerate them and the doctor thinks they're appropriate for you, they can help a lot with Raynaud's.

layering matters.  fibers matter.

start with an underlayer that fits snug, breathes, and will wick moisture away from your skin.

wintersilks.com (you'd be surprised how warm silk can be), costco currently has fine-gauge merino wool (great deal) in stock,  rei. cabela's, sierra trading post (sometimes), etc.  I also picked up a cheap pair of silk long underwear bottoms somewhere else - and they were warmer than a thick two-layer cotton "thermal" pair I had (before I refused to buy cotton thermals), even though the silk felt like an insubstaintial "nothing".

stay *away* from cotton thermals.  they hold perspiration (making you feel colder), and will not transition between temperatures.  a *quality* and breatheable fiber will transition between temperatures. you will be warm where it's cold out - and not overheat when you go somewhere warm.  it will also keep you dry.  oh - and stay away from cotton socks.  even in the summer, dd's coach banned cotton socks while running.

Fibers:

silk,

wool,

quality synthetics (polar fleece type fabrics.  do be careful - really cheap ones aren't always warm.)

all work. I personally will have nothing to do with polypropelene.

quality fibers also come in three different weights.  depending upon if you will be outside alot - and what the temperatures are like.  if you will be primarily inside where's it's heated, lightweight should be fine.

wool sweaters are warmer than cotton/raimie/acrylic/etc.  they will also breathe - and be warm even when wet.  polar fleece is another good fiber for warmth (and not bulky), either as a sweater under a coat/liner or even just a sweater.  I can sometimes be so warm in just a good polar fleece, I don't need a coat.

wear wool socks - costco currently has 4-pks of women's wool socks for $12.

not sure if costco still has them in stock - but they do real sheepskin ugg-style boots with a sheerling lining (for a scant fraction of the price) - and they are warm.  I will even use them as my snow boots (we rarely get snow - or I'd get something else.).  even if the outside is wet - they are warm and dry inside.  when running errands when it is freezing or below - they're warm.

Thank you!

Amy

Smartwool also has base layers. They are pricey, but they are warm.

http://www.rei.com/b/smartwool/c/underwear?s_kwcid=so4hQhjO5_dc|pcrid|34213291685|pkw|smartwool%20base%20layer|pmt|e|google|main&gclid=CP-4i6WFlMICFZeVfgodZWYALw

Silk would be my second choice. LL Bean also has some wool base layers.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/search/?freeText=silk&init=1&sort_field=Relevance

Fleece lined tights are lovely. Sock dreams also has lots of wool socks that are nice to wear (not scratchy) and warm; I wear them camping all of the time (well, not as much in Hawaii, but I have in the past).

http://www.sockdreams.com/products/thermo-fleece-lined-tights:1149

I would say to get a slim fitting down or fleece lined vest to wear under a wool pea coat. The layers give you options to adjust, depending upon how much warmth you need. The great thing about wool is that it stays warm even when it's wet. So, maybe something like this:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80734?feat=610-GN1&page=scrunch-down-vest

Under something like this?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/56772?feat=wool%20pea%20coat-SR0&page=classic-lambswool-peacoat

Last year was the first time I wasn't cold.  I wore the following:

Inside:

Fleece cuddleduds.  Yes, they're bulkier than the other material for cuddleduds, but soooooo comfy and warm.  Tops and bottoms.

Layers:  a shirt and a jacket or a shirt and a sweater.

When at home: I always, always wear my robe.  I got one of those super soft fluffy ones  

Slippers:  The socks aren't as big of a deal as long as I'm wearing slippers.

Hat:  yes, even indoors.  I wear a hat.  It can make a huge difference.

Legwarmers:  I just got these from Kohls' online (and then saw them at Target) and they are like little sweaters for my legs.  Be sure that they are designed to fit over jeans.  Only one type was at Kohl's (the $20 pair, of course)  The ones from Target looked like they'd fit over jeans, but since I already had a pair I didn't try them on.  They were $10 at Target. 

For outside:  

Hat

Coat

Scarf

Gloves

I live in a very cold climate, do a great deal of outdoor activities, and also have Raynaud's.

You have already gotten some good advice but I will add to it.

Smartwool is great.  BUT, since they moved their operations to China, the quality has tanked considerably.  For the same price you can get Point 6 brand socks.  They are made in the USA and last a great deal longer.  

Hand and foot warmers are great.  I use them frequently.  So frequently that I cannot stomach the cost and waste.  I invested in reusable hand warmers.  They cost more up front but then I have no guilt using them any time.

Despite hand warmers, I do also have to buy a pair of down mittens every year.  They are chunky and ridiculous but the only way to keep my hands from clawing up.  Since our winter is 6 months long, they are in pretty bad shape at the end of the season.  I keep the older beat-up pairs for chores and use my newer ones for being in public.  Gloves will not cut it.  You need mittens.

If you want to get very serious about winter coats, look into Canada Goose.  They cost a FORTUNE.  Really.  But they are the warmest out there and many styles are passable for casual AND dressier uses.  I saved up for two years and finally got one.  Worth every cent.

Smartwool is great. BUT, since they moved their operations to China, the quality has tanked considerably. For the same price you can get Point 6 brand socks. They are made in the USA and last a great deal longer.

Thank you for this. I have smart wool socks that I've owned for years that are starting to get holes in them, and the replacements I bought this spring ALREADY have holes.

Point6 socks are going on my Christmas list.

:grouphug: Pointelle silk long-johns are a nice very thin layer that adds warmth without sweating.  Columbia makes some awesomely toasty jackets.  I like a long coat that goes at least to my hips, but knee length really keeps me warm on the worst days.  (I have a Land's End stadium jacket, rec. here by another boardie that I will venture out in in temps well below zero.)   I wear it when I'm stuck waiting in the car or the very worst cold/wet/windy days, but I do not consider it flattering at all; in fact, I call it my ugly coat, but I wear it to keep and I'm toasty.

Smartwool is great.  BUT, since they moved their operations to China, the quality has tanked considerably.  For the same price you can get Point 6 brand socks.  They are made in the USA and last a great deal longer.

Thank you for this. I have smart wool socks that I've owned for years that are starting to get holes in them, and the replacements I bought this spring ALREADY have holes. Point6 socks are going on my Christmas list.

Oh man, this is terrible news. I love smart wool socks, but I have had mine a while. It is so disappointing when companies downgrade their product to make a little more money and destroys their hard built brand. It's crazy to me.

Great ideas here. 

I live in the northern US and run colder than many people. 

1. Always take care of your extremities (hands and feet). You feel the cold there first. Fingerless mitts can be great indoors or in fall/spring. Wool or partial wool socks are a must. Good boots! Seriously, do not chose them for fashion unless you're wearing them only inside or from the garage to the front door. If you want everything else to stay slim, fine, but always make sure your extremities are covered by quality, thick, warm items. Spend the money. It's worthwhile. 

2. Protein animal fibers (wool, alpaca, angora, cashmere, etc.) are warmer than synthetic or plant (cotton, silk, rayon) fibers. Two layers are warmer than one. Mittens are warmer than gloves. 

3. Layer. Sweater over shirt. Long underwear if you're going to be outside long. Buy a coat which will accommodate layers. Shop for a coat with your layers on to make sure it will all fit. 

4. A close-fitting circular scarf often works better than a long scarf. It covers the neck and can be pulled up over the face and mouth without adding a lot of bulk. 

If you want to get very serious about winter coats, look into Canada Goose.  They cost a FORTUNE.  Really.  But they are the warmest out there and many styles are passable for casual AND dressier uses.  I saved up for two years and finally got one.  Worth every cent.

if you are serious enough for canada goose (yeah, I know them. for serious cold. I was shocked to find a store locally that sells them. and it was not REI.)  I would also invest in a pair of steger mukluks for boots.  they are warm and incredibly durable.$$$ upfront, but they last and will keep your feet warm.  my girls had a pair at college (snows from oct to march).  they lasted all four years with lots of life left. they are also relatively lightweight and flexible.  my ultra cheap sil bought a pair for her dd (who said they were her most favorite item at her frigid temps college.) 

Thank you for this. I have smart wool socks that I've owned for years that are starting to get holes in them, and the replacements I bought this spring ALREADY have holes. Point6 socks are going on my Christmas list.

I still have my very first pair of Smartwool socks.  They are 15 years old and in great shape.  The pairs I have acquired in the last 3 years have all worn through or actually busted through the toe or heel.  So I did some investigating.  Smartwool was sold.  The people who first started Smartwool are the Point 6 people.  I bought a couple of pairs the first year they came out (3-4 years ago) and they are holding up FAR better than the Smartwool bought the same year.  I cannot vouch for 15+ years like my original Smartwools but they are at least not falling completely into threads......

Another idea is to use those microwaveable hot rice socks - they can be as simple as a clean sock full of rice (microwave it for 2 minutes & it will hold the heat a long time!) or slightly fancier hand-made fabric "envelope" filled with rice or field corn.

We have one of those for every member of the family, and on cold nights (okay, almost every night in winter!) we love to toss them in the microwave and then put them in our beds. :) (We live in a Cold Place.)

I still have my very first pair of Smartwool socks.  They are 15 years old and in great shape.  The pairs I have acquired in the last 3 years have all worn through or actually busted through the toe or heel.  So I did some investigating.  Smartwool was sold.  The people who first started Smartwool are the Point 6 people.  I bought a couple of pairs the first year they came out (3-4 years ago) and they are holding up FAR better than the Smartwool bought the same year.  I cannot vouch for 15+ years like my original Smartwools but they are at least not falling completely into threads......

Thank you for sharing this! Now to find a "seconds" outlet for them like L.L. Bean sells the "irregular" SmartWools for $6-8. (I have found that of the newer Smartwools, the men's seem to hold up a LOT better than the women's. That may be coincidence.)

I'm a pro!

Take a 'lobster bath.' Just soak in hot water until you bring up the core temperature.

Silk long johns! They exist and will change your life.

Wool socks make a BIG difference

If your window leak, replace them OR cover with plastic. It makes a difference.

Get a space heater so you can be warm where you are and not super-heat the house.

Invest in an electric blanket or electric throw for the couch.

Use flannel sheets.

Buy boots

Buy house slippers

Don't be to proud to use a Snuggie

Cultivate a tea habit and drink warm drinks all day.

I'm sure I'll think of more later, but this'll get you started :-)

layering matters. fibers matter.

start with an underlayer that fits snug, breathes, and will wick moisture away from your skin.

wintersilks.com (you'd be surprised how warm silk can be), costco currently has fine-gauge merino wool (great deal) in stock, rei. cabela's, sierra trading post (sometimes), etc. I also picked up a cheap pair of silk long underwear bottoms somewhere else - and they were warmer than a thick two-layer cotton "thermal" pair I had (before I refused to buy cotton thermals), even though the silk felt like an insubstaintial "nothing".

stay *away* from cotton thermals. they hold perspiration (making you feel colder), and will not transition between temperatures. a *quality* and breatheable fiber will transition between temperatures. you will be warm where it's cold out - and not overheat when you go somewhere warm. it will also keep you dry. oh - and stay away from cotton socks. even in the summer, dd's coach banned cotton socks while running.

Fibers:

silk,

wool,

quality synthetics (polar fleece type fabrics. do be careful - really cheap ones aren't always warm.)

all work. I personally will have nothing to do with polypropelene.

quality fibers also come in three different weights. depending upon if you will be outside alot - and what the temperatures are like. if you will be primarily inside where's it's heated, lightweight should be fine.

wool sweaters are warmer than cotton/raimie/acrylic/etc. they will also breathe - and be warm even when wet. polar fleece is another good fiber for warmth (and not bulky), either as a sweater under a coat/liner or even just a sweater. I can sometimes be so warm in just a good polar fleece, I don't need a coat.

wear wool socks - costco currently has 4-pks of women's wool socks for $12.

not sure if costco still has them in stock - but they do real sheepskin ugg-style boots with a sheerling lining (for a scant fraction of the price) - and they are warm. I will even use them as my snow boots (we rarely get snow - or I'd get something else.). even if the outside is wet - they are warm and dry inside. when running errands when it is freezing or below - they're warm.

This. Especially about fibers. Att all costs, avoid cotton. The tiniest drop of moisture from your skin will make it damp and thus cold.

You can buy thin sock liners from camping stores and layer socks.

Some long underwear comes with sleeves that have thumb holes so you can easily cover/uncover part of your hands for household tasks.

When we go cold weather damping, we hang a small cotton terry towel in the tent to absorb moisture and thus makes us feel warmer. So I am wondering if a dehumidifier in your house would help?

I would go to a camping/outdoor store. I love Campmor, which has a big mail order business, excellent selection and very reasonable prices. But if there is a good outdoor store near you, that would be ideal.

I am very cold-natured, and if I wear a fleece half zip long sleeved jacket from Old Navy I stay quite toasty. Fleece scarves are also very warm. These are cheap, too. My only complaint is flyaway hair.

You are in Texas! LOL, that is not the same as VA! ;)

I had to wear a hoodie today because it was chilly (68 and windy = very chilly here), so I understand this. :D

You are in Texas! LOL, that is not the same as VA! ;)

I had to wear a hoodie today because it was chilly (68 and windy = very chilly here), so I understand this. :D

<pout>  I am so freezing here!  You should see what I wear to bed. :D

The fleece would keep me warm inside the house.  I go about outside wearing my long, down, fake fur-lined hooded parka when it dips below 50.  ;)

(I did live in MD for five years in my 20's so I have that to offer up as street cred. )  I secretly suspect I am a reptile and not a mammal.

I didnt' read all of the posts, so if this was already stated, forgive me.  But I just discovered last year at Wal-mart Cuddl dud FLEECE long johns.  They are the warmest thing I have found...they are NOT bulky...I wear them under my jeans all winter long.  I LOVE them so much...and they are only $10.  Best winter thing I have found EVER!!

My DH has Raynauds.  It was so bad during the winter that we left NY for FL.

The biggest concern for him was gloves and boots...because his extremities bothered him the most.   At the time, we had a stick shift, and it was hard for him to drive with gloves on...so finding thinner gloves was tough.  I want to say LLBean or Land's End had silk glove liners which helped.  For boots, he basically had winter type hunting boots. Super hard core. 

He also kept those warming packets in the car for his hands.