Menu

Christmas for an older teen

Night Elf

What do you buy for an older teen who has everything he wants and needs? He likes to be surprised. So far I've got him a video game he wanted last summer but decided not to spend his own money on it. That's the only thing I've thought about getting him.

He doesn't have friends so doesn't hang out. He has no use for gift cards.

He likes first person shooting games, but I'm not sure what he has already.

He likes Lego's but literally has no more room for them. This will be the first Christmas in 15 years he won't be getting a Lego set.

He likes history, such as battles/wars.

He doesn't like to read books, and I haven't found a magazine he might be interested in.

He likes cartoon books like Calvin and Hobbes, but I can't think of one series he hasn't read yet. DH has a huge number of them.

He has an ipod and doesn't need a new one. He still has lots of room on it for adding more songs.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for small or big gifts.

Have you seen Mental Floss magazine?

My teens like goofy t-shirts. I find them at Kohls and online at Think Geek, Mental Floss and etsy.

My kids are fans of certain movies and shows so I will often seek out, usually online, unique items related to those.

Would he be interested in a Great Courses history lecture series?

If he likes history AND he likes comics, perhaps a book such as Maus? Which is definitely historical.

But since he doesn't like reading, maybe a DVD on some historical event, particularly a war?

On the subject of comics, has he read the OotS books yet? The early ones are a bit silly, but they ramp up quickly and become arc-based. The books have comics that didn't appear in the original web edition.

I don't know where you live so what about a trip to a History museum and/or a battleground?

If he liked Calvin and Hobbes what about Bloom County or Opus?

Favorite snack foods

Does he drive?  New key chain or accessory for the car?

I'd find out what kind of video games he would like and choose from that

Any other hobbies that you could tap into?

Any comedian or musician that you could get tickets to see?

More lego storage? ;)  My 4 year old has more than I can store at the moment!

Does he need headphones for his video games? What about a bigger monitor? Steam gift card?

Does he have a phone? Have you looked at Popular science? There is little science, but it's fun.

My teens are younger, but they really like the wireless headphones. (They don't play video games with them, though.)

What about movies?   If he likes Anime, Studio Ghibli makes some excellent movies.

Accessories for his games?  Does he play on a PC or a gaming system?  If PC, a gaming mouse, larger monitor, or gaming headset are nice.  If on a system, a headset or new controller?

Any bands he is interested in?  Concert tickets, t-shirts, posters?

Okay, definitely a Steam gift card.

I also like the idea of Bloom County and Opus. I don't think DH has those.

I'm not sure about Maus. I'll ask DH's opinion.

He uses head phones to listen to his ipod. A nice pair could be a good idea. I think the set he has is just a cheap set.

He doesn't drive but we're working on that.

I've never heard of Mental Floss magazine. What kinds of subject matter does it have?

He has lots of gaming consoles and lots of games. He is preferring PC stuff right now though.

He has Aspergers so he's very particular about things. He doesn't have a lot of middle ground. I can ask him to make me a list of things he'd like but I was hoping to find things he might not think about. I'll follow up on these ideas. Maybe we'll find something new for him.

My ds loves character type t shirts. He loves his Ninja Turtle and Life of Fred ones best right now. Pajama bottoms with characters to lounge in are good too.

Maybe some logic type games. A puzzle ball and stackem cups have been hits with ds in the past. Also look at desk/office games for executives...I bought some discounted heavily one year. Huge hit and they are small.

Okay, definitely a Steam gift card.

I also like the idea of Bloom County and Opus. I don't think DH has those.

I'm not sure about Maus. I'll ask DH's opinion.

He uses head phones to listen to his ipod. A nice pair could be a good idea. I think the set he has is just a cheap set.

He doesn't drive but we're working on that.

I've never heard of Mental Floss magazine. What kinds of subject matter does it have?

He has lots of gaming consoles and lots of games. He is preferring PC stuff right now though.

He has Aspergers so he's very particular about things. He doesn't have a lot of middle ground. I can ask him to make me a list of things he'd like but I was hoping to find things he might not think about. I'll follow up on these ideas. Maybe we'll find something new for him.

Mental Floss is fun and interesting but hard to describe. A local library might subscribe so you can take a look. Otherwise Barnes and noble should carry it so you can see, and maybe wrap up, an issue.

How about some game guides for his video games and computer games? My ds always likes those.

My ds is only 14, but since he is using his console systems far less than his computer for gaming these days, it's hard to have a lot of gaming gifts to put under the tree. A Steam gift card is nice, but it doesn't look nearly as exciting as a big stack of video game cases wrapped up under the tree.

It sounds like your ds and mine may have similar interests, so I'll be watching this thread very closely. :)

PS.. I would still get him a Lego set. If he's like my ds, he will be disappointed if he has gotten them every other year and doesn't get one this year.

My teen boys get happy over computer stuff: gaming keyboard, Wacom tablet, fancy headset, even a nice computer chair. My older ds would be thrilled with a left-handed gaming mouse but alas, I don't think it exists. (Or maybe it was just too far out of our price range.)

The only comic books they've enjoyed besides Calvin & Hobbes is Zits and Pearls Before Swine.

We've also had some pretty good success with TeeFury shirts.

Ds2 recently got one of these Hanayama puzzles. He says start with level 5--that the lower levels are too easy. He started with this one.

I would love to get him a Lego kit, but he didn't want any last year and I bought them anyway because I wasn't ready to let go of the tradition. He said he would have been okay without them. I'd love to get him another modular building. They are so cool, but it won't fit on the table and he isn't willing to take any apart to make room for new ones. Of course, I'll ask him just in case he changes his mind.

I appreciate all of the ideas. It's nice to have something to look for and you've all given great ideas. Now I need a thread about what to buy for DH's who have everything! :)

If he is gaming on a console such as ps4 or xbox, you could get blue tooth headset, renew his gold membership/PlayStation Plus membership.

New, larger t.v., t.v. cabinet/ game storage.

Surround sound for epic game play

Gaming chair or recliner

Cool memorabilia of his favorite games for display

Tickets to next comic con in your area

Tablet and google playstore giftcard

Sounds like he spend a good bit of time on his PC. Think Geek (and probably lots of other places) sells a tiny USB powered fridge that holds just one can of soda.  Quirky enough for a guy who sits at the computer playing games!  Your ds sounds very much like mine. 

I would love to get him a Lego kit, but he didn't want any last year and I bought them anyway because I wasn't ready to let go of the tradition. He said he would have been okay without them. I'd love to get him another modular building. They are so cool, but it won't fit on the table and he isn't willing to take any apart to make room for new ones. Of course, I'll ask him just in case he changes his mind.

I appreciate all of the ideas. It's nice to have something to look for and you've all given great ideas. Now I need a thread about what to buy for DH's who have everything! :)

What about those new teeny tiny ones?  I forgot the name.