Menu

Those with 10th graders - will you even worry about the current SAT?

Once upon a time, we thought we would have DD take both the current and the new SAT, but now we are leaning toward waiting and focusing on the new one.  I know there aren't any prep materials but it almost sounds like it will be even better suited for a strongly academic child anyway, right?  Could there be a negative/positive in taking the very first new SAT?  

Just curious, what's your plan?   :D

So out of the loop I didn't know there was an option!  We focus on the ACT, so it hasn't been on my radar.  I do, however, have one that WANTS to take the SAT and the ACT, so I guess I better go look.   :huh:

We will probably focus on the ACT too.  DD has already taken the ACT because it can count as the state required EOY Exam.  DD does want to take the SAT once or twice just to make sure she isn't stronger on that test though?  She has tested pretty good on the ACT, but she does the SAT Questions of the Day and she rarely gets any of those incorrect.  Of course, who knows about the new test!

Our tentative plan is for ds (10th grade now) to take the SAT next fall, which I believe is the current SAT. He can take the new SAT after that, if he feels the need. I'm strongly encouraging him to spend time preparing for the PSAT next fall, which will overlap a lot with preparing for the SAT.

My daughter is a junior this year.  She'll be taking the current SAT this spring and possibly again in the fall of her senior year.  The first time the new SAT will be given is in the spring of her senior year.  She wants to take the new test just to see how it compares, but it will be given too late for college applications for us at least.  

One of my daughters is a junior this year, the other is a freshman.  If I had a 10th grader, I don't know what I would do.  There's so many study guides for the current SAT that I might push to have a 10th grader take it at least once.  If the scores were high enough, the new SAT wouldn't matter as much.

I'm concerned about the new essay format.  My younger daughter is a slow reader.  By the time she reads the source document, she'll not have a lot of time to write.  At least, that's my concern.

I'm going to be pushing all of my students to the ACT.  There won't be much in the way of prep materials available for the new SAT, so I'd rather go with the known quantity.  And really, the new SAT is likely to be very similar to the ACT, so if a student opts to try the SAT, any ACT prep we've already done may help!  The vast majority of my students prefer the ACT anyway, so it's fine with me :) 

I have a 10th grader, and we are just focusing on the ACT also.  It looks like his scores will competitive on that, so why add complications with the SAT?  He probably won't even take the SAT unless he does well enough on the PSAT next year to need to worry about a confirming score for National Merit, and I consider that a long shot in my state.

My 10th grader will take the old SAT this spring.  I'd like to at least get one score from the old test.  He's already taken the ACT and done well, so he will also take that again, although maybe not until his 11th grade year.  I imagine he will also take the new SAT, just to see.  He's a good test-taker in general.

My oldest (a senior this year) actually preferred the SAT because he would rather have shorter sections than say one long math section or whatever.  So I want to give ds2 that option as well, if he likes that format better (although I'm not sure how the format of the new SAT compares, which is one more reason to get a score from the old version under his belt).

I'm glad I don't have a 10th grader. I have 9th and 11th right now. The 11th will be finished with her SAT before the new one comes out, otherwise we wouldn't be ready for college applications. For the 9th grader, I'll be watching what you all have to say about the new SAT. I like the idea many of you have of just doing the ACT instead of messing with the new SAT. (Honestly, the CB has me so irritated anyway.)

My 10th grader is taking the Dec SAT exam because he wants to have some scores for summer program applications.

My attitude is that I would normally have him taking tests by fall of junior year. But that will mean walking into the new test with little published about it. So he will have the old style and also maybe the new one.

It's not like colleges will suddenly lose their ability to assess the value of the old style score just because their is a revision. Also I don't want to hold off and then have CB push the implementation date back again.

I don't see it as something to panic over. If you would have tested by fall of junior year then don't hold back just because there will be scores based on two different tests. There will be correlation tables just as there are for SAT and ACT.

We haven't even thought about it.

We just got oldest DS through the whole process and settled down at college.  I'm not ready to start all over!

But . . . youngest DS (10th grade) took the PLAN Tuesday, and will take the PSAT tomorrow.  We'll see how he does on those and go from there.  Oldest DS never did any kind of intensive test prep and he scored very well on the SAT.  If youngest DS has good scores on the PLAN and PSAT then we won't push him to do a lot of prep, so the availability or not of prep materials may not be a big issue.  Plus I believe he'll do better with the new (2016) essay format than the current one.

I don't know or care I guess.  I expect he will enroll in community college and transfer for his degree later once he has the basic course work complete.

Totally understand where you are coming from, and not trying to persuade you otherwise. :)

I just wanted to throw in that even if going straight to the CC (which both of our DSs did), an ACT or SAT score can help earn a student scholarship money at the CC. DS#1 received a partial scholarship his first year at the CC, which had to have been awarded partially on ACT and SAT scores because he didn't have any college GPA for them to look at (which is how most of the merit scholarships at the CC are awarded -- your CC GPA). He scored just enough to break into the partial scholarship range.

From our experience, it seems like "scholarships beget more scholarships"  :tongue_smilie:. It seems like once you get into the "system", the committee awarding the merit aid gets used to seeing the student's name, and like to keep re-awarding because the student is a proven performer, and they like to go with the "known" vs. the "unknown". It also looks good when transferring to a university, for similar reasons.

Just a thought: the investment of the $50 test fee and a Saturday morning might pay off as a scholarship towards books or partially pay tuition! ;)

I've been reading this thread and feeling quite pleased that I don't have to deal with it with one of mine.  Then I remembered that the MCAT is totally changing next year too - and middle son will be in the guinea pig class for that instead.   :glare:  I don't think it's better to be in that boat.  My only consolation is that it's new for everyone.  That should be similar for the SAT test takers.

For us no. The CommunityCollege doesn't expect it nor does the college my kid will likely go to after she gets her AA degree. Most colleges don't expect it if the student has 30 credits or more. If the student is older they can apply as a non traditional student and it's not required.

I will just note that the ACT/SAT score DID help DS#1 earn a scholarship to the community college for his first year after high school graduation. So testing may still be of financial value to your student to earn merit aid awarded by the community college.

I haven't hyperfocused on it but as far as prep materials go, didn't CB announce they are working with Khan Academy to have prep material available for the new SAT? That's what has been in the back of my mind anyway. 

My 10th grader is taking the Dec SAT exam because he wants to have some scores for summer program applications.

Sebastian, is an SAT or ACT score necessary for academy programs for rising juniors? I have one that's expressed interest in that for next summer. Probably need to move that up on my to-do list!

Lisa

Our tentative plan is for ds (10th grade now) to take the SAT next fall, which I believe is the current SAT. He can take the new SAT after that, if he feels the need. I'm strongly encouraging him to spend time preparing for the PSAT next fall, which will overlap a lot with preparing for the SAT.

FYI, the PSAT will change next fall to be more in line with the new SAT.  https://www.collegeboard.org/delivering-opportunity/redesigned-psat-nmsqt

I haven't hyperfocused on it but as far as prep materials go, didn't CB announce they are working with Khan Academy to have prep material available for the new SAT? That's what has been in the back of my mind anyway.

Sebastian, is an SAT or ACT score necessary for academy programs for rising juniors? I have one that's expressed interest in that for next summer. Probably need to move that up on my to-do list!

Lisa

Rising juniors can apply to attend the STEM camp. Th application for this will ask for test scores if available as well as grades in several subjects.

The Naval Academy Summer Seminar is for rising seniors. I suggest students have an SAT or ACT score in hand before applying to this one.

We'll do both and here's why: Navy girl was the guinea pig for the new new SAT (and oldest got the new SAT) and no one knew what it was going to look like. So, I made her skip an important orchestra rehearsal to take the older one. Man, are we glad she did, as everyone's scores plummeted 100 points! The one she took in December of her junior year was the one that got her into three military academies. She was grateful I pushed it. 

Did she take the newer one at all or only the old?  If she took both, did they allow the old one to be submitted?  I spoke with the admissions at Duke and they said they will expect those graduating 2017 to have new scores available for comparison purposes.  My concern is that we take the old one and then they request dd to take the new one after she submits and application.  Also, I've heard that it looks bad to take it more than 3 times so I would rather focus 2-3 good efforts on the same test.  Ugh, I really have no idea what is best.

Did she take the newer one at all or only the old?  If she took both, did they allow the old one to be submitted?  I spoke with the admissions at Duke and they said they will expect those graduating 2017 to have new scores available for comparison purposes.  My concern is that we take the old one and then they request dd to take the new one after she submits and application.  Also, I've heard that it looks bad to take it more than 3 times so I would rather focus 2-3 good efforts on the same test.  Ugh, I really have no idea what is best.

Ugh, I don't understand the rationale for needing the new scores for "comparison purposes."  I was planning on having my 10th grader focus on the SAT, but I may need to rethink that.

My goal with my kids is to have the standardized testing completed by the fall of junior year because the SAT spring testing dates conflict with tennis tournaments that can't be missed.  If colleges are going to require scores from the new SAT, that would mean that my son would have to wait until the fall of senior year to take the test.  That scenario is not appealing at all. :ack2:

I wonder how many other colleges will have the same policy as Duke and expect SAT scores from the new test? 

Ugh, I don't understand the rationale for needing the new scores for "comparison purposes."  I was planning on having my 10th grader focus on the SAT, but I may need to rethink that.

My goal with my kids is to have the standardized testing completed by the fall of junior year because the SAT spring testing dates conflict with tennis tournaments that can't be missed.  If colleges are going to require scores from the new SAT, that would mean that my son would have to wait until the fall of senior year to take the test.  That scenario is not appealing at all. :ack2:

I wonder how many other colleges will have the same policy as Duke and expect SAT scores from the new test? 

Is the ACT not a good fit for him?  If it is, I'd suggest going that route rather than figuring out scheduling.

Is the ACT not a good fit for him?  If it is, I'd suggest going that route rather than figuring out scheduling.

Agree. The ACT is as widely accepted as the SAT, so that is not likely to be a problem.

SAT spring testing dates conflict with tennis tournaments that can't be missed.  If colleges are going to require scores from the new SAT, that would mean that my son would have to wait until the fall of senior year to take the test.  That scenario is not appealing at all.  :ack2:

Duke equally accepts SAT or ACT scores.

For scheduling around tournaments, the ACT is typically on the third Saturday on the month, while the SAT is on the first Saturday of the month.

If you really need the SAT instead of the ACT, there is usually a June test date, which would fall after the end of tennis season and the end of school, so you'd have a few weeks to really focus/prep on the test and complete it before the start of senior year.

My son was caught up in the last round of SAT changes. He had taken the (then) older form of the SAT and thought that he was completely finished with testing in early junior year. Later he found that at least one of the colleges on his list, Caltech, required the newer form of the SAT from all applicants. They didn't announce this requirement *until fall* of his senior year when he was in the midst of applications. Ugh! He was not happy about taking it, especially as he'd already done the old SAT 2 Writing test, too (which is what they essentially added to the regular SAT in the last round of changes). Fortunately, he got exactly the same M+CR score on the new version.

So, just be prepared for the unexpected!

Since we are talking about this.  I would love for dd to take the SAT because I think she might be stronger with it.  She has taken the ACT.  She took it in 9th but she only made a 28.  Can she pull that up, with prep, to be competitive with it and just forget the SAT?  We haven't really prepped at all.  Her composite is pulled down by the Science section because she doesn't seem to do that great on it.  I am hopeful that with prep she can pull that up, which should help her overall score.

ETA:  I know that a 28 is sufficient for acceptance to many schools, but we need significant financial aid and she has her heart truly set on DUKE and I know that she needs to pull it up much higher or test much better on the SAT in order to make that happen.

Since we are talking about this.  I would love for dd to take the SAT because I think she might be stronger with it.  She has taken the ACT.  She took it in 9th but she only made a 28.  Can she pull that up, with prep, to be competitive with it and just forget the SAT?  We haven't really prepped at all.  Her composite is pulled down by the Science section because she doesn't seem to do that great on it.  I am hopeful that with prep she can pull that up, which should help her overall score.

If she's doing well with the ACT, then there is no need for SAT. If she's dissatisfied with her ACT scores, then take a practice SAT and compare the results before deciding if it's worthwhile to have her take it.

By the way, 28 is a great score for a 9th grader without prep. She ought to be able to raise it with some work & more math and reading under her belt.

For science ACT, I'd suggest having her work through

Very interesting question!!!!  I have a 10th grader this year.  Oldest, who graduated last year, took the SAT and not the ACT.  I've got my eye on the college entrance tests.  We are spending some prep time with that in mind.  However, I think we will focus on the ACT. 

If she's doing well with the ACT, then there is no need for SAT. If she's dissatisfied with her ACT scores, then take a practice SAT and compare the results before deciding if it's worthwhile to have her take it.

By the way, 28 is a great score for a 9th grader without prep. She ought to be able to raise it with some work & more math and reading under her belt.

For science ACT, I'd suggest having her work through

Thanks for posting those videos again.  I was going to search for them in past threads.  You saved me the time  :hurray:

Agreeing with Kathy in Richmond. :)

I would love for dd to take the SAT because I think she might be stronger with it.  She has taken the ACT.  She took it in 9th but she only made a 28.  Can she pull that up, with prep, to be competitive with it and just forget the SAT?  We haven't really prepped at all.

Wow, "only 28" on the ACT for a 9th grader with no prep is great! Wish WE had been in that situation! ;)

JMO: while some students may do significantly better, from what I've heard on this Board, typically the difference ends up being pretty slight. The differences in test results can also be due to just being more comfortable with the testing process from the first test to the second. Or having a good day and an off day on testing. Or having a better proctor and testing situation. None of those factors would have anything to do with which test. Just a thought!  :)

I'd suggest spending your time/money on a reputable test prep course -- many guarantee a specific amount of increase in score. Or even better, a tutor who specializes in coaching for ACT/SAT to work one-on-one with DD. A tutor who knows both tests and who gets to know your DD will be able to recommend which test might produce the best results.

Her composite is pulled down by the Science section because she doesn't seem to do that great on it.

A tutor would be able to tell you how much not clicking with science has to do with pulling down the science section or not. Personally, I'm inclined to think that the additional years in high school of exposure to science will naturally help. Even more will be the additional years of critical thinking; that's what the Science section more seems to be about, rather than direct knowledge of the Sciences.

From the ACT website about the science section of the test:

Content Covered by the ACT Science Test

The content of the Science Test includes biology, chemistry, physics, and the Earth/space sciences (for example, geology, astronomy, and meteorology). Advanced knowledge in these subjects is not required, but background knowledge acquired in general, introductory science courses is needed to answer some of the questions. The test emphasizes scientific reasoning skills over recall of scientific content, skill in mathematics, or reading ability.

The scientific information is conveyed in one of three different formats:

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Data Representation (30-40%). This format presents graphic and tabular material similar to that found in science journals and texts. The questions associated with this format measure skills such as graph reading, interpretation of scatterplots, and interpretation of information presented in tables.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Research Summaries (45-55%). This format provides descriptions of one or more related experiments. The questions focus upon the design of experiments and the interpretation of experimental results.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Conflicting Viewpoints (15-20%). This format presents expressions of several hypotheses or views that, being based on differing premises or on incomplete data, are inconsistent with one another. The questions focus on the understanding, analysis, and comparison of alternative viewpoints or hypotheses.

A tutor would be able to tell you how much not clicking with science has to do with pulling down the science section or not. Personally, I'm inclined to think that the additional years in high school of exposure to science will naturally help. Even more will be the additional years of critical thinking; that's what the Science section more seems to be about, rather than direct knowledge of the Sciences.

I am hopeful of this.  We kind of slighted science when she was younger.  She does well in what is thrown at her now, but her background is not as strong as it could be if we had been more diligent with the subject  :blushing:  I am hoping that making it through High School level Bio and Chem will help in this area.

I'm a tutor, and I can't resist chiming in here about the ACT Science.  The critical point to remember is that the Science test isn't really a SCIENCE test.  It's a test of how well you can read tables/graphs/charts and how well you've grasped the scientific method.  You don't have to understand all the weird terms they throw in there to score very high (and even better, you should be avoiding doing any actual reading of the passages)!  There are at most two questions per test that require actual science knowledge (i.e. the fact that heat rises, the order of the planets - just to name a couple of examples).  Science-phobes usually feel much better about the test when they hear that :)  The hardest parts of the test are the breakneck pacing and the weirdly drawn graphs they throw in, but those can be prepped for.  

I don't know if the ACT is a good fit or not.  He has been taking the PSAT or SAT once a year since middle school.  He has never taken the ACT.  He has a strong vocabulary, which is a plus for the SAT.  He has never had any problems finishing a section on the SAT, but the ACT requires a "faster speed."  He may have trouble with timing on the ACT science and reading sections. I'll have to give him a practice test to know whether timing would be a problem.

Tennis would prevent him from taking the SAT in March, May, and June. 

She took it in 9th but she only made a 28.  Can she pull that up, with prep, to be competitive with it and just forget the SAT?  We haven't really prepped at all. 

The difference between my middle son's first score with absolutely no prep and his score with prepping and an additional year and a half of classwork was 4 points.

I suspect she can pull hers up just fine.

Also, my guy couldn't do science without reading the passages.  He tried, but it flustered him to do so. Those videos/method made his score worse actually (on practice tests), so those ideas don't work for everyone.

His science score was always his lowest score (took the test three times), but he still scored quite high on it and is now doing superb as a science major (is currently a TA for Organic Chem and was just asked to be a TA for a Brain and Cognitive Science class too).

My goal with my kids is to have the standardized testing completed by the fall of junior year because the SAT spring testing dates conflict with tennis tournaments that can't be missed.  If colleges are going to require scores from the new SAT, that would mean that my son would have to wait until the fall of senior year to take the test. 

Tennis would prevent him from taking the SAT in March, May, and June. 

The SAT is typically offered on the first Saturday of Oct, Nov, Dec, March, May, or June, AND on the third Saturday of January.

Looks like from your signature DS is 10th grade, so that gives you over 1.5 years to get in both an old and a new SAT. For this school year (10th grade), he could do the older test this coming Nov. or Dec., and then, another older test in January 2015, or in the fall of 2015, and then stop the SAT testing, as he would have 2 SAT scores. If more tests were needed, then switch at that point and go with an ACT test.

Or, for next school year (11th grade), he could do the older test in Oct., Nov. Dec. 2015, and then one newer test in Jan. 2016, and it will not interfere with tennis, nor will any testing fall in his senior year.  :)

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

...I'll go delete my post.

Okay, now that's just going to make everyone *really* anxious about what mysterious thing you know and are keeping from themĂ¢â‚¬Â¦Â  :laugh:  :laugh:

I'll go delete my response to your response, and really leave everyone super panicked!  :smilielol5:

Or, for next school year (11th grade), he could do the older test in Oct., Nov. Dec. 2015, and then one newer test in Jan. 2016, and it will not interfere with tennis, nor will any testing fall in his senior year.  :)

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

The reports I have read state that the new version of the SAT is not being released until the spring of 2016.  If that ends up being true, if a college required the new SAT, that would only leave the fall of senior year available for him to test.  Also, the vast majority of the senior class with a national ranking committed to a school weeks ago, so these kids had to have submitted junior year scores.

He is going to have to contact some of the coaches and see how the admissions offices are going to handle this situation.  Luckily, he has time to figure this out. 

The reports I have read state that the new version of the SAT is not being released until the spring of 2016. If that ends up being true, if a college required the new SAT, that would only leave the fall of senior year available for him to test. Also, the vast majority of the senior class with a national ranking committed to a school weeks ago, so these kids had to have submitted junior year scores.

He is going to have to contact some of the coaches and see how the admissions offices are going to handle this situation. Luckily, he has time to figure this out.

Also remember that this revision is for everyone. So if tennis is a conflict with particular dates, it would be an issue for his whole cohort.

I remember that there was a lot of guidance out there when the last change happened. I just don't remember the details. I did ask my alma mater's admissions office for info, but I'm not sure they have a policy yet. Remember that there isn't a sample test out yet nor does anyone know how different the score distribution will be.

My gut feeling is that while scores might shift some, students are likely to be at a similar percentile on both formats.

The reports I have read state that the new version of the SAT is not being released until the spring of 2016.  If that ends up being true, if a college required the new SAT, that would only leave the fall of senior year available for him to test.  Also, the vast majority of the senior class with a national ranking committed to a school weeks ago, so these kids had to have submitted junior year scores.

He is going to have to contact some of the coaches and see how the admissions offices are going to handle this situation.  Luckily, he has time to figure this out. 

I'm thinking this is really a non-issue for you. Colleges accept the ACT as much as they accept the SAT, so you can get an ACT test easily done in the timing that fits your family. And even if you MUST do the SAT for some reason, you'll be able to go with 2 older SATs, getting them done by fall of junior year, or you can do a new SAT in fall of senior year without tennis as a conflict. That's actually a good thing. :)

And fall is a great time to test, because your student is refreshed from the summer, and not so far into the new school year as to be burned out on school and tests. As a senior, your student will have the vast majority of high school learning under his belt as an added benefit, and won't be far enough into the senior year to be stressed out about all the "senior" things.

You have over 2.5 years to get the details worked out. Really, it will be okay. :)