Menu

Piano lessons...length

Jess4879

My 10 & 8 year old just started piano lessons.  They have had 5 lessons so far.  The teacher wants to move them from 30 minute lessons to 45 minute lessons.  Is this typical?  I was under the impression that they stayed at 30 minute lessons for several years?  I know absolutely nothing about piano though, so maybe I am kidding myself. 

The 30 minute lessons are at the max of our budget, so I am not sure what to do.  Can they not remain at 30 minute lessons, or will this hold them back?

I took piano lessons for a really long time and my lessons remained at 30 minutes for years. The important thing is that they practice nearly daily outside of the lesson. I think 30 minutes is plenty for a weekly lesson for beginners.

If 30 minutes is your budgetary limit, the teacher should respect that. Maybe just ask the teacher if there are any specific things your kids should work on during the week, so they can be fully prepared for the lesson.

My kids both take lessons. The 10 year old is supposed to have a 40 minute lesson (he's been playing for not quite 2 years), and the 6 year old just started half lessons (20 minutes long, at least in theory) last month. 

I say "supposed" to because while our instructor has a tight after-school schedule of piano students each afternoon, we come during the daytime when most other kids are in school. Since there's not someone coming in immediately after us she doesn't watch the clock very closely and usually ends up going quite a bit over with my two: I can generally expect her to spend more like an hour with my oldest and 30 minutes with the younger. I'm not complaining.  :)

Our teacher does an hour lesson, even for beginners. Our six year old started this fall and has about 40 minutes at the piano and 20 minutes either recording one of his finished pieces (she produces a CD for each student at the end of the year) or 20 minutes in the "rhythm lab" working on theory.

My eight year old spends the full hour at the piano and recording. He loves music and takes after his dad (organist). This is his third year of lessons.

Here he playing a Beethoven Sonatina at his recital last year when he was seven:

ETA: My MIL is a Suzuki piano teacher, and I think she does thirty minute lessons.

If 30 minutes is at the max of your budget, stick with that.  For some of my students that are siblings, I have been known to "steal" time from a younger or less interested student to give to the older/more motivated student.  This might work for your situation.  Some weeks you could divide your hour into a 40min/20 min.  You could also divide it into 3 20 minute segments where each student has a private lesson for 20 minutes then works together for 20 minutes on rhythm or theory exercises.

The teacher is probably looking for extra time to go over theory topics.  If that is the case, maybe you can split up your time more creatively.   Thirty minute lessons are adequate for young beginners.

Dd started at 30 mins and then moved to 45 after 2 years.

Our teacher put theory in every lesson, even at 30 mins.

I should clarify that the piano portion of their lesson does include theory and they have written theory exercises each week at home. Our teacher has a unique "rhythm lab" where she incorporates games, technology, and a variety of other activities to reinforce what they do on the piano. :)

I wasn't sold on the use of technology when we first started, but when I saw that it didn't interfere with time at the instrument, I was more enthused. For her wiggly students, I suspect she doesn't go over thirty at the piano and then takes thirty for the lab. Wiggly doesn't describe my older two when it comes to music lessons (or reading) so they have longer piano instruction. Math and writing is a different story, perhaps!  ;)

They also have hour-long group lessons throughout the year where they prepare group pieces, share their individual work, and learn about a specific composer. 

I was trying to remember my own music lessons, and I cannot recall if I ever had piano lessons over thirty minutes. Flute was my primary instrument and I know by middle school my private lessons were an hour.

DD started at age 9 with 30 minute lessons. We upped them to 45 minutes after 2 years.  She is progressing nicely, but she is certainly not a prodigy.  The teacher asks for daily practice, but just a 10 to 15 minute session at a time. Her teacher takes a very gentle approach, which works very well for my DD. HTH

I had 30 minute lessons for the first 6 years or so, and then 60 minute lessons. Just depends on the teacher, student, parents, and what level/material is being covered. Did you ask the teacher why she/he wants to increase the lesson length? Because your kids are particularly gifted and the teacher wants to move ahead faster? Because they concentrate well and the teacher thinks why not work for longer at a time? Because the teacher is financially strapped and wants the extra money (hopefully not but you never know)? If the kids are preparing for an exam, recital, audition, etc. then the teacher should be able to accommodate a couple of longer lessons as a one-off, or even some extra lessons, for that purpose. You certainly don't have to increase the lesson time if that doesn't suit you. 

I had 30 minute lessons for the first 6 years or so, and then 60 minute lessons. Just depends on the teacher, student, parents, and what level/material is being covered. Did you ask the teacher why she/he wants to increase the lesson length? Because your kids are particularly gifted and the teacher wants to move ahead faster? Because they concentrate well and the teacher thinks why not work for longer at a time? Because the teacher is financially strapped and wants the extra money (hopefully not but you never know)? If the kids are preparing for an exam, recital, audition, etc. then the teacher should be able to accommodate a couple of longer lessons as a one-off, or even some extra lessons, for that purpose. You certainly don't have to increase the lesson time if that doesn't suit you. 

The teacher has said since day one that the kids are picking up on things very quickly and today she said they needed extended lessons because they are now doing scales. ??

I'm a violin instructor and would never suggest pushing lesson time (and the lesson budget) up after the first FIVE LESSONS!  

Barring some extraordinary circumstances, of which I've NEVER encountered despite some very accomplished students, I would continue with 30 minutes and reconsider annually as your children grow in their ability.

Stella

Hmmm,.. Well my dd's teacher usually gives 30 minute lessons. She said however that my daughter seems to really enjoy the lessons and ste always practices enough so that her material is always mastered by the next lesson. This means that the teacher can give my dd fun supplemental songs such as Disney tunes, and hymns. But this takes time because the supplemental song must be learned at the lesson and then practiced.

Having more time in the lesson gives the teacher more space to add fun things and/or cover more material faster.

I would definitely move to 45 minutes especially for your older one. It really has been a plus for my dd!!!

Just to give you an idea...In my dd's piano, she goes over all songs from the previous week. Then she goes over theory. That takes a long time since she usually has 4-5 songs and needs a little correction here and there. Then they move on to her Hanon practice book and learn that, then they work on Chords, then they learn 3 new songs, usually one supplement and two from her lesson book. If we had only 30 minutes there would not be enough time for the supplemental work and that is my dd's favorite part because she picks those songs herself!

My girls (7,9) have 30 minute lessons.  I can not see the point at this time to have longer lessons.  In this weeks lesson my 9 yo did 5 scales, a Hanon piece, a duet with the teacher 3 songs, and went over theory.  It does not seem at all like there is not time to finish everything even though she is working on many songs at once.

I did want to say that the above video of a 7 year old playing was pretty amazing to me.   

I have a very wiggly almost- 5 year old and her piano lessons are 1 hour total...however, only 30 minutes are at the piano with the instructor (and even then she is very flexible.)

Alex then has 30 minutes of theory/game time in the rhythm lab. I was worried it would be too much, but she LOVES it.

Her violin lesson usually runs closer to 30 minutes, but I would bet that is closer to 15 minutes of actually playing. Violin is a lot harder for this kid as she seems incapable of standing still:). I don't mind since the lady comes to our house and it is really quite inexpensive.

One thing common around here is offering homeschoolers a bit of a discount as they can attend during non-peak hours. I think we get $200 off of our annual price just because we can go before 3:00 pm. Is this a possibility with your children's instructor?

what books are you using?  My dd has 5 books (Alfred's) and goes through a LOT of material each lesson.  It doesn't leave much time for the teacher to explain but dd seems to be natural with piano and so it works for them.  I can see how 45min might be more useful, but this teacher always does 30min increments which seems to work for her.  She is very efficient IMO.

I think that is long for kids that age.

My son had one teacher who moved him to 45 mins at around 10. Then she retired and we moved to a different teacher and he keeps the kids at 30. My boys are now 9 and 14. I should add that our old teacher had a very difficult time sticking to a 30 min lesson because of how she taught. It was a personal difference.

When I hired our new (now not new) teacher I assumed he wanted my older boy to stay at 45 mins. He seemed surprised he was at 45 mins and told me he saw almost all his students for 30 mins and he doesn't feel the need to go longer until a student is quite a bit older and more accomplished. He teaches music and theory at a music college, btw, so he teaches quite a lot.

He is naturally a more efficient teacher and, I think, more mindful of the attention spans or kids, and wallets, of parents.

Look, a private piano teacher is aware that people are paying and it can be a struggle. Just tell the teacher, 'we can't do 45 mins right now. Maybe we can revisit in a couple years, but not now." Trust me, you won't be the first. If the teacher pressures you or argues about it, change teachers. I would stop lessons in a heartbeat if I got pushback.

And I do understand. My son gets voice lessons and we just cannot afford 1 hour. He takes 30 mins and that is what we can do. At first it was NBD because he was young, but we have continued at 30. I noticed recently that we are  her only 30 min student. All the rest, even those younger than my son are at 60. I feel a little guilty.

what books are you using?  My dd has 5 books (Alfred's) and goes through a LOT of material each lesson.  It doesn't leave much time for the teacher to explain but dd seems to be natural with piano and so it works for them.  I can see how 45min might be more useful, but this teacher always does 30min increments which seems to work for her.  She is very efficient IMO.

They are using Leila Fletcher Piano Course 1 and A Dozen A Day books.  There are three books total. 

Thirty minutes is a very short period of time.  But with an efficient teacher, it can be done.  

I think what concerns me is that most experienced music instructors start with an initial meeting, followed up by a contract that spells out lesson time length, fee schedule, etc.  I would consider it a professional oversight on my part if I felt it necessary to change things up 5 weeks in.  

Older teacher?  Musical training?  Looking at the method books, which are old school, I'm thinking you have a kind and possibly very experienced community teacher who wants more time with your kiddos to do the things she loves.  Not a bad problem to have.  But that's a matter of efficiency, not a necessity to up the budget on your end.      

Stella

DS(6.5)'s lessons are an hour. He has had two different teachers already after only taking lessons for six months. The first class was three months with two other kids, so the longer lessons were necessary to deal with all kids. The next three months with an independent teacher have also been an hour (and she frequently goes over). I feel like his current teacher is less organized and not at good at keeping him on track. They frequently don't even get through all the songs he learned the week before. There seems to be a lot of wasted time. Practice time is however long he needs to complete his songs, usually at least 30 minutes daily, up to an hour.

10 mins for piano pieces

10 mins for scales and appregios

10 mins for theory

Your children can easily learn as much music theory independently as possibly and use lesson time for questions. Same for piano pieces, if they prep for class the teacher just need to point out errors or improvements on interpretation.

Theory, aural and sight reading took more time at the higher levels so lessons do eventually go to 45mins and then to 1hr.

DD(5) is officially going for 30 minutes.  But the past two lessons she has gone over time, for a total of 45 minutes. Her teacher officially starts kids 7 and older at 45 minutes.  She said the past two lessons were anomalies and hasn't charged the difference since it was at her discretion (and not because my kid was goofing off or anything), but if they continue to run over she will start her on an official 45 min lesson when she turns 6 (January). 

I know as a kid myself, I did half hour lessons until I was 6, then started hour lessons.  I never thought it was too long, but the first 15 minutes or so were spent on theory,  then Hannon and scales for 10-15 minutes, then pieces, so it was broken up.