Menu

UGH...........

Journey

I have a friend who works in a daycare.  This place has a child that has LICE.  The director knows it, the employees know it, some parents now know it and the director said the kid CAN STILL COME to the center.  I cannot believe it.  Is this normal?  I have never heard of such ridiculousness.

Oh haven't you heard?  Lice is not a health concern.  It isn't harmful and it isn't caused by poor hygeine/  :glare:

We've never dealt with lice but I always heard lice isn't actually caused by poor hygiene??

And re: the OP, that's NUTS.  She should put a call in to the state agency that oversees daycares in her state and inquire if there's something that can be done.

Thought processes have changed on this recently, but I'm not going to be popular for saying it here. Is this kid being treated/combed for lice now?  A child that has KNOWN lice and they are taking measure to prevent spread is actually much less "dangerous" than the kid who has unknown lice and is sharing blankets and combs.  Often by the time lice is discovered, a kid has been walking around with them for weeks.  One good metal combing and keeping the hair in the braid will drastically drop the spread. 

A lot of schools had the go home and do a treatment and you can come back.  Well the treatments don't necessarily always work either. 

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2014/03/lice_in_school_let_em_stay.html

Ok - leaving now!  :D  :auto:

Nope. A few years back school systems all over said children with lice are no longer barred from attending school. I believe a statement about it not being a health issue was put out by the Academy of Pediatrics.

It really isn't a health issue. And it's not related to hygiene. It's just a big pain in the rear.

Guest inoubliable

Obviously people with good hygiene can get lice.  But people with good hygiene don't KEEP lice....and it is the people with poor hygiene that KEEP lice that make it a problem for the rest of us. 

By "people with poor hygiene" I hope meant "people who can't afford lice treatment and so have to deal with lice longer than people who can afford treatment at the first itch". 

Otherwise, whatever.

Obviously people with good hygiene can get lice. But people with good hygiene don't KEEP lice....and it is the people with poor hygiene that KEEP lice that make it a problem for the rest of us.

As someone with good hygiene who is fighting lice outbreak #2 for this year, getting rid of these little pests is not exactly easy or fast.

They also can be very treatment resistant.

By "people with poor hygiene" I hope meant "people who can't afford lice treatment and so have to deal with lice longer than people who can afford treatment at the first itch". 

Otherwise, whatever.

I don't even know what that means.  I grew up in poverty and I grew up with many other people living in poverty around me....we never had lice. 

It is rampant today because people don't think it is any big deal and they don't do what it takes to get rid of them. 

If I had to choose between 2 gallons of milk and lice treatment you can bet my kids would be drinking water that week. 

As someone with good hygiene who is fighting lice outbreak #2 for this year, getting rid of these little pests is not exactly easy or fast.

They also can be very treatment resistant.

As I said I know people who are clean can get them.  There are enough people who don't bother getting rid of them that yes it is easy to get them again especially with small children in the house.

Do you know where you are getting them?  And is it really a second outbreak or did the first round not get completely eradicated?

Our public schools no longer notify classmates or child when lice is discovered; they don't want to embarrass them. Needless to say, there is a salon that does only lice removal as their niche. Because it's so time consuming to nit pik, it's $$$/appointment and they have a steady business. ****shudder****

My mother was a public school teacher for 20 years and spent many a hour in the nurses office picking nits out of students hair.  One time 3 teachers took turns on one kid and gave him new clean clothes to wear so that he could go on a school trip with his classmates. 

Of course as soon as he got home he was reinfested because his parents couldn't be bothered to get rid of them.

Guest inoubliable

I grew up in poverty and I grew up with many other people living in poverty around me....we never had lice. 

Wow! That's incredible! 

It's also pointless. 

Your personal observations do not make facts. 

Getting rid of them is no easy task. Some people don't have the knowledge to understand that it isn't just about hair. The whole environment needs to be addressed. Some kids live in cars and getting rid of them is nearly impossible. Let's not assume that they can't be bothered and judge. I have had it twice in my house and never from contact with dirty kids. It happens.  When I taught they could be in school with nits but not live ones. The removal process is  TEDIOUS and has to be done by hand. The stuff you buy in the store is crap that dries the scalp and makes you then appear to have tons of nits.

As I said I know people who are clean can get them. There are enough people who don't bother getting rid of them that yes it is easy to get them again especially with small children in the house.

Do you know where you are getting them? And is it really a second outbreak or did the first round not get completely eradicated?

We had almost two months between outbreaks so I have trouble believing it was not a re-infestation. We have narrowed it down to the public library and the church as where we picked them up this time.

Getting rid of them really isn't as easy as picking something up at the store.

Locally we have had people who treated with OTC options for several weeks before being forced to get prescription level treatment going.

I have spent hours cleaning and nit picking and bagging stuff. My washing machine has run what feels like constantly for days. I cannot imagine trying to work an outside job and deal with this. I cannot imagine the PITA this would be if I didn't have a washer and dryer in my home. I have also yet to run into someone who knows they have them and choose to do nothing.

All four of my boys had lice last year. At least around here, the public schools send home a lice treatment kit. Also, kids can go to school with lice. The reasoning is that there is no health reason for parents to miss work and kids to miss an education. For us, granted we have boys, treating the lice was super annoying but not terrible. I never used any chemicals. Just combed it out every night. It didn't cost us any money but it did take a lot of time.

We had almost two months between outbreaks so I have trouble believing it was not a re-infestation. We have narrowed it down to the public library and the church as where we picked them up this time.

Getting rid of them really isn't as easy as picking something up at the store.

Locally we have had people who treated with OTC options for several weeks before being forced to get prescription level treatment going.

I have spent hours cleaning and nit picking and bagging stuff. My washing machine has run what feels like constantly for days. I cannot imagine trying to work an outside job and deal with this. I cannot imagine the PITA this would be if I didn't have a washer and dryer in my home. I have also yet to run into someone who knows they have them and choose to do nothing.

Well, such people exist trust me. 

Two months between outbreaks sounds like a reinfestation.  I believe the nit picking is the most important thing.  I know how time consuming it is.

Getting rid of them is no easy task. Some people don't have the knowledge to understand that it isn't just about hair. The whole environment needs to be addressed. Some kids live in cars and getting rid of them is nearly impossible. Let's not assume that they can't be bothered and judge. I have had it twice in my house and never from contact with dirty kids. It happens.  When I taught they could be in school with nits but not live ones. The removal process is  TEDIOUS and has to be done by hand. The stuff you buy in the store is crap that dries the scalp and makes you then appear to have tons of nits.

Yes I know it is a tedious process to get rid of them.  But I don't think we do any one any favors to act like they are a normal thing.  Bugs in our hair is not normal.

As big of a deal it is getting rid of them I am not at all surprised there are parents who don't put much effort into it.  I know for a fact the school where my mom was a teacher educated the parents over and over on how to get rid of them.  They would outright TELL the school staff it was too much work.

You don't get rid of lice with "good hygiene". No matter how many times you say it.

Obviously people with good hygiene can get lice. But people with good hygiene don't KEEP lice....and it is the people with poor hygiene that KEEP lice that make it a problem for the rest of us.

Getting rid of them is no easy task. Some people don't have the knowledge to understand that it isn't just about hair. The whole environment needs to be addressed. Some kids live in cars and getting rid of them is nearly impossible. Let's not assume that they can't be bothered and judge. I have had it twice in my house and never from contact with dirty kids. It happens. When I taught they could be in school with nits but not live ones. The removal process is TEDIOUS and has to be done by hand. The stuff you buy in the store is crap that dries the scalp and makes you then appear to have tons of nits.

The school nurse told me differently. She said not to worry about the environment except for where the kids sleep (so if they are sleeping in a car that would need to be addressed). I only washed sheets. Lice need a blood meal every 48 hrs to survive, so the chances of them living on couches, car seats, etc. just aren't very good. I focused all of my energy on picking them out of their hair and I think that helped me from feeling so overwhelmed. The first couple of days I spent about two hours working on their heads. No way would I have been able to do that and clean everything.

So, when I know someone has lice that is always my advice...focus all your energy on picking them out and wash the sheets.

All four of my boys had lice last year. At least around here, the public schools send home a lice treatment kit. Also, kids can go to school with lice. The reasoning is that there is no health reason for parents to miss work and kids to miss an education. For us, granted we have boys, treating the lice was super annoying but not terrible. I never used any chemicals. Just combed it out every night. It didn't cost us any money but it did take a lot of time.

And the above is why it is now glossed over and no longer a health/community threat....it interrupts work/school/schedules too much to send kids home.  So lets just reclassify it as no big deal.

I agree combing and being sure to get the nits out is crucial.

The school nurse told me differently. She said not to worry about the environment except for where the kids sleep (so if they are sleeping in a car that would need to be addressed). I only washed sheets. Lice need a blood meal every 48 hrs to survive, so the chances of them living on couches, car seats, etc. just aren't very good. I focused all of my energy on picking them out of their hair and I think that helped me from feeling so overwhelmed. The first couple of days I spent about two hours working on their heads. No way would I have been able to do that and clean everything.

So, when I know someone has lice that is always my advice...focus all your energy on picking them out and wash the sheets.

This is pretty much what I've been told by teachers who deal with it day in and day out.  Get the nits off the head and vacuum/heat dry bedding....like sheets or favorite stuffed animal that your kid might sleep with.

Because we spend so much time at home I feel like it is also very important to vacuum the couch. I take all the throw pillows and the kids' stuffed animals and oversized pillows bag them up and put them in the enclosed porch for a week. I also take care to keep the kids from sharing bath towels or reusing them. (We normally use bath towels multiple times. In theory, each person has their own but I know that the boys sometimes just grab the closest one instead of the one on their hook.)

Um , clean people can keep lice in their hair for an extended period of time even though they are trying to get rid of them.

I just had a long post typed up about the battles we fought with lice when did was younger, but it disappeared and I don't feel like retyping it all.

Long story short, we did all the right things plus some . The only thing that finally would get rid of them was the prescription stuff.

Clean people don't keep bugs? What a weird statement. Someone can have a clean house, shower frequently and have a nice happy head for their bugs to live in and still have a busy overwhelmed working mother who can't seem to get a handle on the lice issue. I get the lice are gross and it's frustrating when your child gets them but throwing judgement at ALL parents who have a tough time with lice because of a FEW disinterested parents doesn't seem fair or productive.

I think Scarlet means to assert simply that, generally speaking, people who value good basic hygiene practices on an everyday basis would tend to ALSO have the trait that they would take a lice situation seriously -- doing whatever needed to be done to eventually be rid of it.

Not meaning either that their everyday hygiene would take care of the lice, or that they would automatically be successful at treatment... Just that they wouldn't contentedly go on living with the lice as if it wasn't a problem.

I think Scarlet means to assert simply that, generally speaking, people who value good basic hygiene practices on an everyday basis would tend to ALSO have the trait that they would take a lice situation seriously -- doing whatever needed to be done to eventually be rid of it.

Not meaning either that their everyday hygiene would take care of the lice, or that they would automatically be successful at treatment... Just that they wouldn't contentedly go on living with the lice as if it wasn't a problem.

Exactly.

I don't need an expert to tell me that bugs in one's hair is gross and unclean.

This. Yes anyone can get fleas, ticks, mice, roaches scabies and lice in their very clean home or on their very clean person.

However, people who value cleanliness and hygiene usually do not allow those things to stay in their home or upon their person and take as many measures as necessary to get rid of them ASAP.

I'm not shocked a kid gets lice.

I'm horrified the lice and the nits are not promptly dealt with and dealt with in manner that greatly reduces reoccurrence or passing them on to others.

I don't need an expert to tell me that bugs in one's hair is gross and unclean.

Your words and assumptions are loaded with judgement.

This isn't personal for me - we have been blessed not to deal with this so far.  Families who may have difficulty managing an infestation may have other reasons for this difficulty than not caring.  Jumping to the assumption that they don't care and are "gross and unclean" is a very negative way of viewing people.  It doesn't show much kindness or grace.

When my son was little,he complained about his head itching off and on over about a 2 week period. I would look, find nothing, and assume it was allergies. His hair was so blonde and so fine that I somehow missed any nits. Finally I found an actual bug and then felt really awful. We called his preschool to apologize and started treatment. The shampoo caused an allergic reaction, and his hair was so fine the comb was useless. After hours of manually using tweezers I finally gave him an "army" haircut.

In my research I found that

A. Lice prefer clean healthy hair

B. Blow drying is both an effective treatment and preventative.

We have only had it that one time, but certainly discovery and treatment really have no correlation to responsibility or cleanliness.

Yes. & I, too, have never had to deal with lice on myself or my children.

This isn't personal for me - we have been blessed not to deal with this so far. Families who may have difficulty managing an infestation may have other reasons for this difficulty than not caring. Jumping to the assumption that they don't care and are "gross and unclean" is a very negative way of viewing people. It doesn't show much kindness or grace.

This isn't personal for me - we have been blessed not to deal with this so far.  Families who may have difficulty managing an infestation may have other reasons for this difficulty than not caring.  Jumping to the assumption that they don't care and are "gross and unclean" is a very negative way of viewing people.  It doesn't show much kindness or grace.

Yes. When drunk dad walks out and leaves mom living in the car with 5 kids.....lice is not the priority. Actually getting the kids back to school so she can work her lousy minimum wage job is what she needs. Does that sound like a person who wants to perpetuate the cycle of lice?? I taught long enough to see these tragic situations. Judgment is not kind or helpful.

I have sympathy for families who get lice.  My comments about being unclean are not for those who are trying to get rid of them. I have personal knowledge of families who absolutely do. not. care. and who do not try to get rid of them.  That is not me jumping to conclusions.  You may have never encountered someone like that, but they do exist.  They are dirty.  I hope it is ok to be judgmental about dirt.  And it is people like that who make it impossible to keep infestations down. 

Lice should be seen as dirty and unclean.  I am astounded by the people who think they are no big deal and that I am a big meanie for 'judging' the icky lice.

I have sympathy for families who get lice.  My comments about being unclean are not for those who are trying to get rid of them. I have personal knowledge of families who absolutely do. not. care. and who do not try to get rid of them.  That is not me jumping to conclusions.  You may have never encountered someone like that, but they do exist.  They are dirty.  I hope it is ok to be judgmental about dirt.  And it is people like that who make it impossible to keep infestations down. 

Lice should be seen as dirty and unclean.  I am astounded by the people who think they are no big deal and that I am a big meanie for 'judging' the icky lice.

I think several posters have shared their difficult experiences with lice here….and the way your posts have been worded makes it seem as if you think since they can't immediately get rid of the lice they are unclean and dirty.  And anyone who has lice is dirty. That's how I read your posts anyways.

Thankfully I have not had to deal with lice but perhaps we are just lucky at our house so far!

When my son was little,he complained about his head itching off and on over about a 2 week period. I would look, find nothing, and assume it was allergies. His hair was so blonde and so fine that I somehow missed any nits. Finally I found an actual bug and then felt really awful. We called his preschool to apologize and started treatment. The shampoo caused an allergic reaction, and his hair was so fine the comb was useless. After hours of manually using tweezers I finally gave him an "army" haircut.

In my research I found that

A. Lice prefer clean healthy hair

B. Blow drying is both an effective treatment and preventative.

We have only had it that one time, but certainly discovery and treatment really have no correlation to responsibility or cleanliness.

You discovered them and you got rid of them.  If you had not attempted to get rid of them you would not be a clean person. 

Really people I don't know why you are all so defensive.  I never said that everyone who gets lice must be dirty.  Or even that those who have a hard time getting rid of them must be dirty.  I SAID that lice are gross and the people of the world who don't care enough to get rid of them in their own kids/house are the reason there is such a problem today.

Does allowing kids with lice in daycare or school help them spread more? Nobody likes it when a sick kid goes to school or church and passes on their germs. I see people complain about that all the time here. I would think the goal would be to encourage sick people or people with contagious bugs to stay home, not to shame them, but to stop the spread to others. I understand that most people posting in this thread are reacting against the idea that lice = dirty kids, but it is starting to come across like "asking people with lice to stay home is too embarassing for them and avoiding embarassment is more important than stopping the spread."

I think several posters have shared their difficult experiences with lice here….and the way your posts have been worded makes it seem as if you think since they can't immediately get rid of the lice they are unclean and dirty.  And anyone who has lice is dirty. That's how I read your posts anyways.

Thankfully I have not had to deal with lice but perhaps we are just lucky at our house so far!

I never said that. Never said or thought that difficulty ridding a house of lice means you are dirty. In fact, I offered up a few suggestions for difficult cases.  My point is that if everyone got rid of lice there would be no lice!  It is a communicable thing!  And there are very dirty people in the world who keep lice in their house and therefore continue to infest others.  Can we at least agree that there are dirty people in the world? 

I think lice are disgusting and I am shocked at the number of people who clearly do not agree.

Clean people don't keep bugs in their hair. 

You can keep saying it, but that doesn't make it true. All you're really doing is insulting posters who had lice and then had a really difficult time getting rid of them. We've managed to breed drug-resistant strains of lice, and no matter how careful you are at combing it really is easy to miss just one nit in the head, which can start the whole infestation up again.

I'm glad that your family didn't have lice growing up. Others here have had different experiences, and they aren't all slovenly, filthy, neglectful parents.

You discovered them and you got rid of them.  If you had not attempted to get rid of them you would not be a clean person. 

Really people I don't know why you are all so defensive.  I never said that everyone who gets lice must be dirty.  Or even that those who have a hard time getting rid of them must be dirty.  I SAID that lice are gross and the people of the world who don't care enough to get rid of them in their own kids/house are the reason there is such a problem today.

Yes, the large # of posters replying to you/posting info that is exactly opposite of your claims are defensive and have the issue here.  It couldn't possibly be your posts or how you are wording things.