Menu

Lice!?!?!?

momto10blessings

I have 3 daughters with shoulder length thin blonde hair.

I have dark brown thick hair half way down my back and am 36 wks pregnant.

I've found lice on one of my girls so far. The other 2 don't seem to have it, I don't even see any eggs on them. All the boys in my family have very short buzzed hair.

What would your course of action be? This is a first for us.

Thank you!!

The most important thing is a good comb.

The best (in my experience) is the Fairy Tales comb.  http://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tales-Terminator-Lice-Ounce/dp/B002STJFP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409520629&sr=8-1&keywords=fairytale+lice+comb

Nix/Rid do not work.

Look up the Cetaphil cure.  It works very well, and has been written about in an actual medical journal.  http://nuvoforheadlice.com/test/

Combing is key….and repeating the treatment.  We've used the Nit Free/Fairytales Mousse as well.  Buy the biggest size you can.  

Wash pillows/sheets in hot water/ hot dryer.

Put stuffed animals in dryer.

There are professionals, too, that do lice removal.

The best (in my experience) is the Fairy Tales comb. http://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tales-Terminator-Lice-Ounce/dp/B002STJFP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409520629&sr=8-1&keywords=fairytale+lice+comb

Nix/Rid do not work.

Look up the Cetaphil cure. It works very well, and has been written about in an actual medical journal. http://nuvoforheadlice.com/test/

Combing is key….and repeating the treatment. We've used the Nit Free/Fairytales Mousse as well. Buy the biggest size you can.

If I buy this off amazon what can I do in the next couple days when I'm waiting for it to arrive? Do they sell it at any stores?

Have everyone who is not affected put their hair up and cover it, so they won't catch it.  Have everyone who is affected cover too, so they don't spread it.  We usually braid it then cover with a headscarf or bandanna.  Keep covering, even when you are out and about, until you know where it came from (so you can be sure it's being taken care of and won't reinfect you) and you are absolutely sure it is gone (plus a few days).  Barrier methods are very effective IME for prevention.  

Combing and nit-picking is more effective then chemical treatments.

Tell everyone you've been around in the past few days, and if you've been in a group situation (class, co-op, etc.) let the admin know in case it's a systemic problem in their facility.  

I used a flea comb and worked on the hair outside in the sunlight. That made the nits easier to see. 

My preferred method for killing the bugs is using vinegar -- WARNING -- it can burn it if gets in eyes or open wounds -- but that and lots and lots and lots of picking did the trick. We haven't had them for quite a while but I will never forget the time that they were here. 

If I buy this off amazon what can I do in the next couple days when I'm waiting for it to arrive? Do they sell it at any stores?

That comb looks like the one I bought at a big-box store -- but I have completely forgotten which one.

I can vouch for its usefulness though, and how crappy the cheap plastic ones are. 

ETA: Found it online at CVS -- walmart and target and walgreens don't seem to sell them in-store. CVS doesn't say whether or not they do, but you might as well look if there's one near you -- I know I found it in-store. The short-pin was pretty useless but the long-pin was very, very useful. 

http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Lice-Removal-Combs-&-Magnifying-Glass?skuId=873584

I used the chemical treatment, plenty of combing, plenty of laundry -- plus hot-dryer-ing or frezer-ing for items not suitable for washing in the washing machine. Don't forget to try and wash parts of furniture, car seats etc. that come into head contact.

So...

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

My 4 year old and I don't have any, but I keep finding live ones on my 1 and 6 year old...

I use the lice shampoo on my 6 year old on Sunday but still pulled live bugs off her head. Using the metal comb on her head every day this week- Sunday through Friday. Thursday was the first time both girls were bug free. The other days they only had a couple each, but where are they coming from?? A few more bugs today.

I put all rugs, stuffed animals, dolls with hair into trash bags in the basement. All bedding was washed, put plastic covers on pillows. I put all bedding in the dryer on high for an hour every morning again at nap time, including my bedding since they like to pile in my bed.

I vacuum the couches, chairs and car seats daily.

I can't see any more eggs in their hair, but I still keep getting bugs. How much longer will this take!!!

Cetaphil is a liquid soap and found at food/drugstores.

Smother everyone's hair, blow dry if you can, otherwise shower cap is good and rinse out inte morning. Then you can comb through the hair.

If you have live bugs you still have lice unfortunately.

See above- I did do the cetaphil method.

I feel like I'm missing something. I wish I knew where the bugs are coming from. Ugh.

I would try to figure out if there is a place where you might be re infesting yourselves outside the home.

Then I would treat everything. Or, if I could, leave town for 3 days. By treat everything:

Wash all clothing

Wash all bedding

Vacuum all beds

Vacuum all carpets

Vacuum all upholstered furniture

Wash all towels

Bag up all pillows and stuffed animals that cannot go into dryer

Run all other pillows and stuffed animals through dryer

Create a "clean zone" where the kids have to stay once you've picked their nits. (We declared pj on the couch day two days running.) have them sit against their own personal towel on the furniture. [i know this sounds crazy- I am only suggesting it because you're having trouble keeping them gone. ] comb hair at least once daily, pulling back/braiding long hair. When you go two days with no live lice you can start to relax the clean zones and towels. Keep combing daily though- everyone. Even those who don't have them should be getting combed every other day at least.

Much love from the front line of the war in lice.

For the ones where you aren't seeing any, oil up scalps and put hair up. Do the same to those who have it, but use more oil to cover hair as well (Vaseline, coconut, olive, etc). I leave that on for 48 hours. Wash bedding. Then wash hair, check for bugs and nits, and oil up scalps again (just a small coating).  Repeat after 7 days (just in case a nit hatched), and again 7 days later if you still see some. 

My sympathies. It isn't easy to get rid of them. The right comb makes a big difference. We fell in love with the licemeister comb when we had lice about 7 years ago. I still keep two in a bathroom drawer just in case.

I know love is a strong word but when you have something that works to get rid of lice, affection grows. ;)

I also suggest the Fairy Tales products.

Definitely bag bedding and such. Become best friends with your a vacuum. Find some good videos for your kids to watch while you comb.

Its hard to get rid of them but when you finally do you feel like you won a war. Not that that is much consolation for having them.

Good luck.

The best (in my experience) is the Fairy Tales comb.  http://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tales-Terminator-Lice-Ounce/dp/B002STJFP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409520629&sr=8-1&keywords=fairytale+lice+comb

Nix/Rid do not work.

Look up the Cetaphil cure.  It works very well, and has been written about in an actual medical journal.  http://nuvoforheadlice.com/test/

Combing is key….and repeating the treatment.  We've used the Nit Free/Fairytales Mousse as well.  Buy the biggest size you can.  

Wise wise words here.  This is exactly what we did with DD and it got rid of her lice.  We still keep a bottle of Cetaphil on hand at all times and our lice comb lives in the freezer ready to jump into action if needed.  

I feel like such a failure. I combed all 3 girls hair this morning and the 2 each had 4 live bugs on their heads. No eggs. I know it's not the end of the world, but it sure feels like it to this hormonal pregnant mama. I just don't understand where the live bugs are coming from. And no one we have seen in the past month or so will fess up to having them, so I have no idea where they even started from... Ugh.

I feel like such a failure. I combed all 3 girls hair this morning and the 2 each had 4 live bugs on their heads. No eggs. I know it's not the end of the world, but it sure feels like it to this hormonal pregnant mama. I just don't understand where the live bugs are coming from. And no one we have seen in the past month or so will fess up to having them, so I have no idea where they even started from... Ugh.

We had a lice situation once when one of my dd's was in first grade. She would be sent home from school, I'd pick, she'd be fine, and go back and get them again. I asked the nurse to check everyone in the class and sure enough, others had them. Every holiday, we'd be fine, and then she'd go back. Finally, a very vocal mom made a big fuss and they sent an exterminator to the classroom. One treatment and the lice were gone. I think they were in the carpets, and the kids would sit on the carpets. 

I've always been able to get rid of lice by careful picking a few times a day for a couple of weeks, but it sounds as though you are doing everything you should. I'm not one to turn to chemicals easily, but I'd think about an exterminator.

Does Lysol kill these suckers? I vacuum the couches and fabric chairs and need to start vacuuming the mattresses... Maybe Lysol will help? We don't have carpet and the few rugs we have were put away...

I'm so frustrated.

I honestly don't know.

Every thing I've read says that the adults cannot live off the head for more than 48 hours.

Vacuuming, heat, combing and time seem to be the biggies.

I honestly don't know.

Every thing I've read says that the adults cannot live off the head for more than 48 hours.

Vacuuming, heat, combing and time seem to be the biggies.

I wonder if there aren't some longer living strains of lice out there. If they can evolve to be resistant to treatments, I bet they can evolve to live longer off a head.

You also need to stress the importance of your kids not letting their heads lean up against other kids.  It's hard when they're that age because they don't really know personal space yet.  Lice don't jump but if kids lean their heads together, they can crawl over quickly.  

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time getting rid of them.  I can only imagine how stressful that would be.  The method I did worked quickly and I didn't see any live bugs after that first treatment.  It was just a week of combing nits out with vinegar.

I wil say my DD had such beautiful shiny hair after the mayo and vinegar treatments. :)  

You also need to stress the importance of your kids not letting their heads lean up against other kids. It's hard when they're that age because they don't really know personal space yet. Lice don't jump but if kids lean their heads together, they can crawl over quickly.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time getting rid of them. I can only imagine how stressful that would be. The method I did worked quickly and I didn't see any live bugs after that first treatment. It was just a week of combing nits out with vinegar.

I wil say my DD had such beautiful shiny hair after the mayo and vinegar treatments. :)

I may need to try the mayo treatment. I did the cetaphil treatment, but it obviously didn't work very well. Maybe that will be my project after nap time. Since I really don't have anything else to do around here to prepare for baby or the second week or school, or....

We used a leave in conditioner for comb through and it seemed like after several days of doing that the nits were coming out faster. 

Here's a good combing schedule I used as a base.  I used Rid for one treatment, but I don't feel like that did anything at all.  Crazy consistent combing with the conditioner worked here.  I didn't go overboard cleaning either.  The first week, I washed pillow cases every day and I bagged up stuffed animals/extra bedding for a couple weeks while I was combing. 

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/theliceprogram/

I'd be combing everyone carefully while you're still seeing live bugs, whether you can ID lice on them or not.  ETA - honestly, I'd be suspecting your own hair.  And the eggs can be extremely hard to see and ID.  You WILL miss some with the comb.  That's why the combing needs to continue until you get through a couple life cycles.

You are not a failure. Lice are a nightmare to deal with. I totally believe you that you have done the OTC treatment , Cetaphil, and combing and still have them.

I did so many things when we dealt with this. OTC treatments, Vaseline, Cetaphil, mayo, tea tree products, etc. The only thing that ever worked was prescription Ovide.

We used a leave in conditioner for comb through and it seemed like after several days of doing that the nits were coming out faster.

Here's a good combing schedule I used as a base. I used Rid for one treatment, but I don't feel like that did anything at all. Crazy consistent combing with the conditioner worked here. I didn't go overboard cleaning either. The first week, I washed pillow cases every day and I bagged up stuffed animals/extra bedding for a couple weeks while I was combing.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/theliceprogram/

I'd be combing everyone carefully while you're still seeing live bugs, whether you can ID lice on them or not. ETA - honestly, I'd be suspecting your own hair. And the eggs can be extremely hard to see and ID. You WILL miss some with the comb. That's why the combing needs to continue until you get through a couple life cycles.

Yeah I'm starting to think I could have it. I combed out some of my hair when it was dry and didn't find any, but I think it's way to long to get anything out. I think I'm going to chop my hair off and go through it while it's wet. My husband has gone through my hair looking for eggs but never saw any. Who knows.

You are not a failure. Lice are a nightmare to deal with. I totally believe you that you have done the OTC treatment , Cetaphil, and combing and still have them.

I did so many things when we dealt with this. OTC treatments, Vaseline, Cetaphil, mayo, tea tree products, etc. The only thing that ever worked was prescription Ovide.

I'll keep it in mind. I hope it doesn't come to that...

Robi-Comb does not kill the eggs.  It only kills live lice.  I bought it, but I was disappointed with it.

With the Cetaphil treatment the key is combing it almost all out, and then drying it until it's completely dry.  You also need to repeat most treatments a week later.

Even with whatever treatment you use (other than Rx), you need to comb for nits.  We use either Johnson's No More Tangles or any conditioner to make it easier.  

I'm so sorry! Lice are so frustrating! Said very gently...it is possible you are missing nits especially if their hair is light. Nits are about the same color as blonde hair. I believe they are usually about an inch from the scalp. I would try to check for nits outside twice a day. Just one missed nit turns into lice. Good luck! So sorry you have to deal with this.

I'm so sorry! Lice are so frustrating! Said very gently...it is possible you are missing nits especially if their hair is light. Nits are about the same color as blonde hair. I believe they are usually about an inch from the scalp. I would try to check for nits outside twice a day. Just one missed nit turns into lice. Good luck! So sorry you have to deal with this.

I've been combing their hair outside in daylight where I can see every speck. I'll start doing it a second time each day.

I cut my hair and my husband combed it out with the lice comb. Nothing at all in my hair.

So frustrating!

I remember reading that if the nits were more than 1"(can't remember how far exactly) down the hair that the eggs had already hatched and those are old. They hatch close to the scalp.  You will need to repeat treatment a few days after doing the first treatment in case you missed any nits that are close to the scalp and can still hatch.  The treatments ONLY kill the live lice bugs, not the ones that haven't hatched.  That's why retreating is so important. 

ETA: It needs to be real mayo and not Miracle Whip.  Something to do with the oil.  I'm not really sure.  My hairdresser is the one that told me to do this treatment.

When you're not combing it, I would keep everyone's hair covered, whether they have lice/nits or not.  A large bandanna or scarf can be tied to cover all of the hair; pin long braids up or tuck them into the bandanna.  If their hair is covered, they can't pick up new lice from furniture, clothing, or other people's hair.  And if they already have lice, the lice are less likely to spread.

Comb, comb, comb

We'd had a terrible time with them. I agree that Nix doesn't work. We sprayed and the next day I was still combing out live ones. What worked miracles was this spray I got at Wallgreens.

http://www.amazon.com/Licefreee-Instant-Treatment-Bottle-6-Ounce/dp/B003KYNNTS

It's nontoxic and did miracles! Spray everybody and keep combing for couple of weeks.

This thread reminded me of my sister complaining to me that I didn't bathe my kids often enough, especially my youngest. She was absolutely right. I didn't. I used bath time as an activity to entertain. So they might have a bath at noon with some pouring toys, but no hair washing or soap. I know I am going to bring the lice plague to my house now, but in 25 years, plus preschool and school-school for some of my kids, we've never dealt with lice. Best friends have and many times I have gotten out the comb to check. Dirt is good. lol

Of course I feel I must delete because I've tempted fate. Drats!