Menu

Blue Man Group

heartosunshine

I love the BMG!  

I've seen then once on land and twice at sea, and love it every time.  So did all of my kids (youngers and teen), and my husband.

I will say that it seems to be a love it or hate it type of thing.  There is a lot of detail, so the more attention you pay the more you get out of it.  On the one hand it's pretty base-level entertainment.  Very visually stimulating, some kind of gross stuff thrown in, lots of lights and sound and music.

On the other hand, it's pretty cerebral.  Quite a bit of messaging about how invasive technology has become, about human connections or lack thereof, but not everyone even gets that.

Anyway, it's definitely like nothing you've ever seen before.

We saw it in Vegas a few years back. It was a fun show - a lot of techno music and strobe light sort of things. There was a portion of the show where they did silent comedy routines. At the end, they took huge roles of paper and covered the whole audience with them. It was a loud, fast-paced sort of show. They are supposed to come to the performing arts center in our town this year, and we discussed getting tickets because we thought the kids would enjoy it. I think it would be a lot of fun for a teenager.

I love the BMG!  

I've seen then once on land and twice at sea, and love it every time.  So did all of my kids (youngers and teen), and my husband.

I will say that it seems to be a love it or hate it type of thing.  There is a lot of detail, so the more attention you pay the more you get out of it.  On the one hand it's pretty base-level entertainment.  Very visually stimulating, some kind of gross stuff thrown in, lots of lights and sound and music.

On the other hand, it's pretty cerebral.  Quite a bit of messaging about how invasive technology has become, about human connections or lack thereof, but not everyone even gets that.

Anyway, it's definitely like nothing you've ever seen before.

Everything she said. We saw them a few years ago at Universal Studios in Florida and loved it. We got a school discount with our homeschool group. It's different from anything I've ever seen. So much fun. I say if you have a chance to see them, especially at a discount, take it.

If Tobias Funke isn't going to be there, neither am I. :-D

:lol:

Love BMG.  DS, now 10, adores them, and loved their show.  He went a few years ago.

Our adult kiddo dressed up as a Blue Man for Halloween one year.  That was one tough costume.  He went to school (high school) and no one knew who he was.  It was the weirdest thing, but they weren't as popular then, maybe.  Anyway, he loved them, too, and had seen them, obviously.  :)

I think your teens would love it.

Hubby and I saw them once as a couple and absolutely loved it.  We wished, in hindsight, that we had taken our boys as they would have loved it too.

I've heard from a couple of IRL friends who didn't care for it.  In general, they don't like "Outside the box" or "Coloring outside the lines" things (aside from being homeschoolers), so if that sounds like you, it could give you pause.  Otherwise, go for it.

Where do you get discounted tickets?

We bought a show package at our local performing arts center for dd's birthday so I get advanced notifications. The "cheap" seats are $30 but that's where we always sit. My dd says it's better to sit farther back & see the shows then to not see them at all, so that's what we do! She's really into theater & choir but my ds isn't. I wondered if it would be a fun family thing to do. From what everyone is saying, it sounds like it is!

Hubby and I saw them once as a couple and absolutely loved it.  We wished, in hindsight, that we had taken our boys as they would have loved it too.

I've heard from a couple of IRL friends who didn't care for it.  In general, they don't like "Outside the box" or "Coloring outside the lines" things (aside from being homeschoolers), so if that sounds like you, it could give you pause.  Otherwise, go for it.

I initially thought about this as a date night but then realized the kids would probably like it also. We have difficulty "coloring inside the lines" as a family. :)

VERY fun for ALL ages! :) We went once to their theater in Chicago (DSs were about 12 and 14), and then 2 years later, when one of the touring groups came through town. The Chicago theater show was definitely superior -- intimate seating, and the theater is rigged with far more "cool" stuff. But the touring show is quite fun, too.

Ok, I'll be the oddball. Dd19 (then 14) and I hated the show. That could have been due to the venue (this bizarre theater in the Village in NYC) or to the fact that a friend w us (who has an anxiety issue) has one of the dudes on top of her seat at one point.

And here I was fondly remembering seeing them 25 years ago in the village. I say it was the Bowery but dh thinks maybe Washington Square Park area. I think I'm right. :D  And if you looked carefully there were a lot of banana boxes on the street in front of the theater.  Who knew then how far they would travel!

I would go and I would have to take my kids. But, we see a lot of theater and dance etc. If the performing arts and things that are a little different are not your thing then it might not be worth it. We have an artistically inclined family and my kids can appreciate it.

You can see lots of BMG on youtube. That will give you an idea if you would find it interesting or too out there.