Menu

I am tired of taking care of the "family" pets....

ProudGrandma

we have 3 guinea pigs.  Although they are really not a lot of trouble, I am tired of constantly reminding my kids to do their GP chores, whether it's cleaning the cage, filling water bottles, feeding them....etc....they rarely remember to do it without being reminded.  (our kids are 10, 12 and 14). 

I am very close to just giving them away...

so, how do I get my kids on the same page as I....they think they still want them, but they rarely play with them (might do more in the winter when everybody is stuck inside more), but they cost money we really don't have, take up space we could easily use for something else, and the mess is driving me nuts.

I always have to find "piggie sitters" when we want to go anywhere for more than an overnight which isn't hard, but maybe more inconvient for the kind lady who comes over to feed them.

What would be the best tactic to get them to see that maybe we are just done with these little guys and somebody else would enjoy them more?

I thought about keeping track of how many times in a month I remind them to do their chores concerning these little guys and telling them if it's more than 25% of the time...out they go...but is that really the best way?

thoughts for me??

I don't have any answers for that really, but that is why we eventually ended going from 7+ critters in our house down to one dog.  *I* only wanted one house pet, and since *I* was the one that ultimately had to care for it, I declared no more pets for the kids until they moved out!  It always seems to fall back onto my shoulders to make sure the animals were properly cared for, no matter how much the kids loved them.  One dog is all I can deal with for inside pets right now, so one dog it is.

Edited to add:  our number of pets reduced in various ways: some died from old age (hamsters, gecko) and some got re-homed due to moving, some just got re-homed to more suitable families)

we have 3 guinea pigs.  Although they are really not a lot of trouble, I am tired of constantly reminding my kids to do their GP chores, whether it's cleaning the cage, filling water bottles, feeding them....etc....they rarely remember to do it without being reminded.  (our kids are 10, 12 and 14). 

I am very close to just giving them away...

so, how do I get my kids on the same page as I....they think they still want them, but they rarely play with them (might do more in the winter when everybody is stuck inside more), but they cost money we really don't have, take up space we could easily use for something else, and the mess is driving me nuts.

I always have to find "piggie sitters" when we want to go anywhere for more than an overnight which isn't hard, but maybe more inconvient for the kind lady who comes over to feed them.

What would be the best tactic to get them to see that maybe we are just done with these little guys and somebody else would enjoy them more?

I thought about keeping track of how many times in a month I remind them to do their chores concerning these little guys and telling them if it's more than 25% of the time...out they go...but is that really the best way?

thoughts for me??

Tell them what you told us: That you are tired of taking care of their pets, and that it seems to you that they have outgrown the pets and that maybe the piggies should be rehomed.

If you can afford them, I would have a meeting discuss the situation, and possibly create a contract.  They either go to a new home now or your children actually care for them without your supervision, reminding, nagging or help....If they don't follow through...you simply find them a home.

If money is very tight, I would just explain and re-home the critters.

You have an honest discussion with the kids and tell them if they can't be responsible for the pigs without constantly needing to be reminded that they will be rehomed. Then set a time period in which they have to form better habits, a month maybe. And follow through with it if they are unable to care for their animals.

They'll put up a fight and be upset but if it's supposed to be their responsibility they will either learn to remember or live with the consequences. You can help by making a huge poster as a reminder and post it somewhere they will see

How about setting up a chore time - like right after breakfast - so that it becomes a habit?  Then once per day you can tell all the kids together, "time for animal chores", and see how that goes?  After they've developed the habit of caring for their animals at the same time every day, try getting them to continue without your once-daily reminder.

Do your children do their other chores without being reminded? That would be key for me - if they don't then I wouldn't expect them to remember to care for their pets without being reminded. If they do, then have a serious talk with them about why they have the pets in the first place. 

If financial concerns are the main reason the pets are no longer a good fit for your family, then do consider finding a more suitable home for them. However, think carefully about doing that if they are just tired of them or being lazy. I think it sets a bad precedent to rehome an animal for those reasons. 

but it's just not the chores I am concerned about.  They also don't play with them like they should.  We went through a hamster stage and the kids were VERY good about caring for and playing with their hamsters....however, their life span was shorter and they kept dying...and the heartbreak was tough (a part of life, no doubt, but hard)....so I thought if we found a pet with a longer life span, they would care for and love those animals just as much....AND they would live longer...so I thought it was a win-win situation....not so much.

We have a set time in the day for pet care for DD's frogs/feeder crickets, refill water bowls nightly and feed the snakes/clean snake tanks/replace frog water on Saturday. Having a set time and routine helps a lot. I do still need to help, but it's mostly her show. For DD, if it's a regular routine, she does pretty well at remembering it. If it's not routine, she is much more likely to forget. You can't play with frogs, and snakes don't care if they're handled, and, if anything, it's harder to convince her to leave the poor critters alone long enough that they can digest their food or when they're shedding.

I'd be conflicted, too.

I would not want to teach my kids that we rehome pets when they become inconvenient. I just don't think love does that. It's a bigger life lesson, y'know?

OTOH, if the piggies are not getting what THEY need, perhaps rehoming is a good idea. It might be kinder to them to look for a classroom teacher or someone else to take them. I don't know about their bonding needs, i.e., if they need to stay together.

I think the "chore time, everyone together" structure would be a good solution. And I have to confess, I'd probably guilt trip mine a bit--maybe with some convo like, "I am really concerned about our guinea pigs (use their names--make it personal). I've been reading that they need (X amount of socialization, or daily cleaning, or whatever) to stay healthy. How can we make sure they get that?" Letting them come up with a solution might be helpful, but again, I think the supervised chore time is good.

IMO, it doesn't matter if they're on board or not. You tell them that they are to care for and spend time with their pets, or you'll find them a home where someone will. I had to do that with a hamster last year and just heard yesterday that the little guy is still around and getting tons of love and attention.

I get the sense that yr first priority is to rehome them, even if yout kids suddenly were great about caring for them. If that is true, rehome them but please don't get more pets. I am a big believer in forever homes for pets, and teaching kids that concept, too.

My youngest really wanted a rabbit for Christmas and I went along with it. After almost 7 months of my feeding the rabbit and cleaning his cage every day, I issued an ultimatum to ds. He could start taking care of the rabbit or I would rehome it. He just refused to do it. I found a wonderful woman who has other rabbits and was delighted to adopt him. I am sure that Black Jack is loving the company of other rabbits (and not having our cat stalking his every move!).

If I could not have found a good home for him, I was committed to taking care of the rabbit for the duration of his natural life. I do not think people should get pets with the idea that they can just be gotten rid of when you tire of them, but sometimes rehoming is best for the pet and everyone else.

please understand that we did NOT go into this with the idea that "if they didn't care for them, we could rehome them"....like I said, all evidence that I had and saw, it would be just the opposite...that they would be cared for and loved by my children.  We talked about it before we got them, we read a lot about their needs and the kids were 100% on board...and for about 1 year or so, they did a great job....but that has changed. 

No, I am not just wanting to get rid of the piggies.  If my kids loved on them like they should, I would be thrilled to keep them.  I think pets are a good thing for kids to have...but pets that aren't being cared for properly isn't a good thing...it's not fair to the pets. 

And again it's not just about the chores....it's the overall care and love they deserve to get that they aren't getting.  Sure, I could set up "chore time"....but that doesn't replace piggie play time either...which IMO should be throughout the day...not just one more "chore" to be done.  It's an attitude....not just a job.

Does that make sense?

Well to be fair, do they do anything without you reminding them?  My kids don't.  Unfortunately, it seems "reminding" is in the mom job description.

So long as they do it when you tell them to, I'd be ok with that.  If they don't, then yes I'd give them away.

actually yes they do....they practice their instruments without reminding, they care for their belongings without being reminded to, they do the things that are important to them.  For about a year they cared for the piggies with very little reminding...but over time they have lost interest and now something they used to love to do is a chore to do. 

I don't think guinea pigs care if you play with them.  Honest.  So long as they get fed and have a clean cage, they are good.  They probably prefer not to be handled too much.

not from what I read before we got them...I read in several places that they need daily outside the cage time, they need to held and loved on and they aren't happy just being in their cage 24/7.  That is one of the reasons we actually went with piggies...the kids wanted animals they could love on and hold and play with. 

for those who have pets that are truely loved by your kids...if you asked your kids what are some things they love to do or what are some things they own that they love....would their pet be on their list?  In my home, I don't think that would be the case.  To me, that is a good indicator...yes??

for those who have pets that are truely loved by your kids...if you asked your kids what are some things they love to do or what are some things they own that they love....would their pet be on their list? In my home, I don't think that would be the case. To me, that is a good indicator...yes??

No, I don't think that would be a good indicator.

FWIW, my son really loves our cats but they wouldn't make the list because they aren't "things" to him, they are cats.

You can mandate the chore portion of it, but the difficulty is mandating interest.

I would have a frank talk with mine and find out if they truly want the pigs, have any thought of them as beloved pets rather than just a novelty, aNd go from there. I don't take rehoming a pet lightly, nor do I think children should be permitted a rotating cast of characters in whom they quickly lose interest. But I would also not be willing to make the guinea pigs my life's work when they could have a happy home with kids who would love them.

And we would not be getting any animals until they were old enough to follow through.

Guinea pigs just don't live that long. I'd attach their care to the kids' self-care. Feed them before you eat. Clean them before you shower. Play with them before you play (or watch TV or go online for older kids). If someone needs us, we care for them even when we don't feel like it. I'm sure you get tired of feeding the kids, but don't quit.

Guinea pigs just don't live that long. I'd attach their care to the kids' self-care. Feed them before you eat. Clean them before you shower. Play with them before you play (or watch TV or go online for older kids). If someone needs us, we care for them even when we don't feel like it. I'm sure you get tired of feeding the kids, but don't quit.

I completely agree with this. Your kids are old enough to get into this habit. While reading your post, I expected your kids to be much younger.

I think the reason they haven't made GP care a habit is because you have taken over responsibility. You say you nag, but you have effectively taken over care and let them get away with that. I would have a very frank discussion with them and transfer the care back to them. Time for physical care, time for play. Hopefully, assuming care will give them a greater sense of relationship. Regardless, I would not let my kids shirk their duties. We are forever animal people here, and I would not send the message to my kids that we give up animals when we lose interest in them.

No one ought to get pets then Rehome them when tired of them. It's just foolish to expect young kids to take responsibility then when try don't to try to dump the pets.

That being said, rodents... Shudder. Rehome and no more pets ever.

The OP doesn't have young kids, and it's perfectly reasonable to expect them to take responsibility for their pets or lose the privilege of having them.

The kitty litter time is a set time for my kids during our school day.  Our schedule has been off a bit this summer and when the kids need to be out the door early for a camp or otherwise, I do end up doing it.  But School is starting again soon and we will be back on a good schedule with this.  I just think many kids need many reminders to do things.  Here, we get up, have breakfast, kitty litter, brush teeth, get dressed, pick up any laundry, then we start school.  Or in the summer, nothing "fun" is done until the basic stuff is done.  Having the habit is the important thing.  I find here, it takes 2-3 weeks of consistency to roll into a habit.  After that, I might still do a morning reminder or have a checklist, but there's not whining about it.  My kids are 10 and 13 FTR.

If you can find them good homes, give them away.  Otherwise, I would feel obligated to see them to the end of their natural life and not replace them. 

I'd attach their care to the kids' self-care. Feed them before you eat. Clean them before you shower. Play with them before you play (or watch TV or go online for older kids). If someone needs us, we care for them even when we don't feel like it. I'm sure you get tired of feeding the kids, but don't quit.

This is what I have finally had to tell my kids about caring for 'our' guinea pig, rabbits and cats.

And, no, looking in the cage and seeing food in the bowl and water in the bottle is not good enough.  If it is, then I'll keep your dinner on the table all night and your glass of water.  You can have that for breakfast in the morning!  

BEFORE my youngest eats breakfast, he has to give our guinea pig fresh food, hay and water.  The same is true for dd and the rabbits, as well as older ds and the cats.   Although with the cats, I give them wet food because everyone else gags at the smell  :glare: 

As for cleaning, that is usually done on the weekend. 

I have found that if isn't part of the kids' routine, it will not get done.  And, then I'm stuck do or reminding, constantly!

As for giving the guinea pigs attention, our little girl loves to be on the floor with the rabbits or to be held while we watch tv.  

As for giving the guinea pigs attention, our little girl loves to be on the floor with the rabbits or to be held while we watch tv.

Yeah, we have two cats and a dog and I'm completely ignorant of what guinea pigs do for play, but I'm wondering why they cannot come out during school or TV time. Our kitties hang out with us all day and get attention and play on and off just by virtue of them being present and demanding attention by knocking pencils off the table and whatnot. LOL

My kids (8, 9, 11) have 100% responsibility for daily pet care (scooping litter boxes and the yard, feeding/watering, playing, brushing, cleaning up hairballs...). DH runs with the dog in the morning, and no one is strong enough to reliably walk him safely yet, but that is all they don't do.