Menu

Any helpful things you have discovered recently?

I have only just found out that there are more educational things on YouTube than I knew about. We have used it for music appreciation and watching movies and documentaries for quite a while. Then I found that there are heaps of music, science, etc lessons on there. But I have recently discovered the delights of poetry readings (because ds wanted to hear the poems featured in the Incorrigible Children series); you can find almost any famous poem read really well. I can't believe I have never taken advantage if this before.

So, is this just me? Or do other people suddenly discover (or rediscover) helpful educational tips or resources? 

All the time.  Youtube is fantastic.

Some other sites I have found useful (can't seem to link right now):

Teachers Pay Teachers

Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers

High Hill Homeschoolers

Educents

Plus I am always mining this thread for more math ideas:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499692-looking-to-do-some-relaxed-math-here-want-to-share-ideas/

The value of water. Yeah. If I make dd drink half a glass of water before she starts her reader and have a few sips at the end of each page, she doesn't tell me "take" is pronounced as "trunk" or "thanks." Eating soup for breakfast fifteen minutes previously isn't hydration enough when faced with the monumental task of reading a book with no tricky words in it.

My most helpful recent discoveries have been Connect the Thoughts courses...bought tons of them because the first few I tried were so amazing; my 20% off Barnes and Noble discount card; the woman who works in the children's section of a small bookstore near us who is great at helping my son pick books he will love.

We use YouTube for some documentaries and music appreciation, as well. Would you mind sharing some of your favorite channels?

Maybe others have favorite channels, but I usually just search for whatever topic we're interested in. (Except beavers. For those who have kids obsessed about all things Narnia, do not search for beavers until you have your safe search feature activated ;) )

Our new favorite website to watch  during lunch.

The Kid Should See This

Disclaimer:  Two videos we have come across refer to evolution.  We're pro-evolution, but I know that some families are sensitive to references like that; so the parent should monitor the videos if there is concern.

My favorite so far:

The Physics of Dominoes.  You're welcome.  :)

I enjoy Richard Wiseman's blog.  He offers a Puzzle of the Week every Friday, and sometimes has other posts about optical illusions, psychology and other quirky things.

The Kid Should See This

Disclaimer:  Two videos we have come across refer to evolution.  We're pro-evolution, but I know that some families are sensitive to references like that; so the parent should monitor the videos if there is concern.

My favorite so far:

The Physics of Dominoes.  You're welcome.   :)

Cool!   :thumbup1:

The Kid Should See This

My favorite so far:

The Physics of Dominoes.  You're welcome.  :)

Oooh, these are great! Now I'm worried DD and I are going to get lost traveling through these for hours... :)

I have discovered the value of visiting my used bookstore often, and the value of chatting (quietly) with the librarians. I was all bent out of shape over a book that my library got rid of, and left in a state of sadness and with one sad child. Three days later they called, having replaced the book AND put it on hold for me without my asking!

Ok, someone please help me out.  I usually steer clear of youtube because of all of the inappropriate junk out there that comes up as suggested links/videos that I do not want my DC to see.  How do I set some controls/parameters to fix this for the kiddos?

YouTube offers a Safety Mode that you can enable.  I find it quite effective.  It's fairly simple to disable, though, if you're concerned about your kids doing that.  I also have had several discussions with my kids about how some people post inappropriate material and that if they see something that looks odd to avoid it and if they see something that is upsetting or inappropriate, to just click away (and talk to me about it).  They mostly look at cute animal videos, Minecraft videos, Buzzfeed and a few other teen/tween channels, and we haven't really run into any major problems with inappropriate content.

YouTube has been great for various repairs. Dh recently repaired our dishwasher and our washing machine by watching YouTube videos. Instead of paying at least $250 for someone to come out and fix them, we paid about $40 in parts. I haven't been using it as much as I should for educational purposes, so hopefully I will get some good ideas on this thread. 

I have discovered that the steak cooking chart from Omaha Steaks is a real lifesaver for me. I somehow ended up being the grill person, and I never could get steaks right until I did a search and found their chart. Now everyone thinks I'm the steak grilling master, lol. 

A very useful discovery for any self taught readers who have pronunciation difficulties, like I do: www.howjsay.com

I taught myself to read when I was four, and even having phonics instruction in K through 4th grade I still have some wacky pronunciations. If I'm unsure I check on this site, or use the app. It is also great for help with pronouncing various Greek names we come across in history. 

YouTube offers a Safety Mode that you can enable. I find it quite effective. It's fairly simple to disable, though, if you're concerned about your kids doing that. I also have had several discussions with my kids about how some people post inappropriate material and that if they see something that looks odd to avoid it and if they see something that is upsetting or inappropriate, to just click away (and talk to me about it). They mostly look at cute animal videos, Minecraft videos, Buzzfeed and a few other teen/tween channels, and we haven't really run into any major problems with inappropriate content.

I had no idea we could do this. Thanks for sharing!

But I have recently discovered the delights of poetry readings (because ds wanted to hear the poems featured in the Incorrigible Children series); you can find almost any famous poem read really well. 

I just learned of the website The Poetry Archive, which is "a collection of streaming audio recordings of poets reading their own poems, and in some cases commenting on them."  (I learned about it from the blog Teen Literacy Tips, which I stumbled across when looking for poetry recommendations for 8th grade.)

YouTube is fantastic. We've used it for everything from times tables to replacing brakes in an RV. My best friend, also a homeschooler, just used it to take apart their tv and replace the capacitors with a soldering gun. (I am so impressed by her!!!)

I learned how to put a needle in a cow's milk vein and give her calcium to keep her from dying of milk fever. Then I did it. It worked amazingly!

I also learned how to draw blood from a cow's tail.

My most helpful recent discoveries have been Connect the Thoughts courses...bought tons of them because the first few I tried were so amazing; 

We love Connect the Thoughts!  We are not using it for high school history other than in a limited way, but used it for the early years and it was incredible what our kids got out of it.  Terrific for developing critical thinking skills which our kids sorely lack.  We are currently using the Current Events series, and will likely use all of those courses over the next couple of years.