Menu

question for dance moms

Ravin

So, my DD has started 6th grade at an arts-focused charter school. She's taking dance. For dance, she is required to wear black dance attire. She doesn't want to be bothered with entirely changing every day, (and has enough on her plate with having to adapt to everything else about organizing herself for middle school that I don't want to have to make her), so dance attire is going to be the core of her back to school wardrobe.

Money here is stupid tight. So, I'm looking for tips on where to find the best deals on dance clothes. Especially snap-crotch leotards, which my husband (who did dance for 8 years in school) recommended.

Gosh, I haven't seen snap-crotch leotards since I was in high school.  We called them bodysuits then, and everyone was wearing them- not just the dancers.

What kind of dance is it?  Is it ballet with a leotard required?  Or general dance where anything goes?  If anything goes, it would be easier and much cheaper to go with a black sports bra with a black cami or tank over it and then you can layer over that as you see fit for everyday wear.  Add a pair of black shorts or capris and a dance skirt to the locker for actual class time. 

Ah!  I did find some snap-crotch bodysuits at dance4less.com.  I've never ordered from there, but the prices look very reasonable. 

When I need to order dance stuff for my son, I compare prices mostly at www.discountdance.com and www.dancewearsolutions.com.

I have to say, though, that I don't see girls wearing leotards with snap crotches for dance. Some of the guys at the pre-professional school my son used to attend wore them instead of dance shirts, but I just don't see them on women and girls.

Neither of the places I listed above seem to carry them, either. I did find this, though: http://www.e-dancewear.com/category/Snap-Crotch-Dancewear.html

I haven't seen dancers in crotch snap leotards either. If a leotard is required, I would get regular ones (Target sells them here) and change for dance. If no leotard is required, find out what is expected--t-shirt or tank top and shorts? Leggings?

If leggings are ok, I buy them at Target or Walmart. My boys are ballet dancers and wear leggings for class. But, the trick is I buy them a size down so they are tight and short, more like tights than leggings. Any looser and the teacher will not permit them because she needs to see the line of their legs.

I just bought some for 7$ each at Target this weekend. Now is the time to get them because they are part of back to school clothes. They are in the girl's dept and there will be a wide variety of leggings  in different patterns etc. You just want the black and make sure they are too small, lol. You will also need some thin black socks to cover the foot/lower leg/calf if she is wearing leggings. My boys really like trouser socks, which are thicker and more durable than knee highs. Again, they are inexpensive at Target. They almost always have large bundles of them in all black. Just make sure to get the ones that are unpatterned. If they have subtle diamond pattern or whatever it will look odd in class. I take the patterned ones and the boys get the plain ones. Don't bother with knee highs. They won't last a class.

And regular black tights won't really work for ballet. They have that cotton crotch and the seam etc that just isn't the same as dance tights. Dance tights are their own thing.

I can't help with a snap-crotch leotard. I haven't seen those since my kids were in the pre-school classes.

I haven't seen a snap-crotch leotard since I was in college (over 20 years ago).

I've ordered many times from All About Dance http://www.allaboutdance.com/dance-clothing/BODYWEAR/ballet/leotards/tanks/page1?ageGroup=none&SID=599394779&Shop=Style&ageGroup=none

Their prices are usually about the same as Discount Dance Supply and AAD has free shipping for orders over $25 and free returns.

They have several Capezio and Bloch tank leotards for $13-18.

My dd has been dancing 5 years and I've never seen a snap crotch leotard.  And the thought of wearing one day after day sounds extremely uncomfortable to me.  If she needs a leo and tights, I don't see any way around changing without being fairly uncomfortable all the time.  If they can get away with form fighting tights and leggings, I would go with that. 

I think it's not practical to not expect to change.

Did the school give you a specific supply list. If not, contact them and ask if there is one or search the school website. Ask if teachers have a "uniform" they expect in class. My dd's ballet studio is very specific about what can be worn in class. She has also taken dance class in public high school and the teacher there was very specific. You don't want to stock up on stuff you found on clearance/sale that doesn't fit requirements. I'd clear this up before making purchases beyond a couple of black tank leotards.

Ditch the snap-crotch idea, and fast. Your hubby is sweet but this is not a good suggestion.

You need to get the details on the dress code.  Does "all black" mean a black leotard with pink tights?  Or can it mean black dance (aka booty) shorts and a sports bra like top?  Are tights required?  Do they have to be pink or can they be tan?  Do they have to be footed, footless, or convertible?  Can she wear jazz pants or capris?

Your dd will eventually acquire a full dance wardrobe.  But I would be hesitant to invest in much until I saw what the other students were wearing and what is required.  As an example, ballet girls often wear simple black leotards with beautiful back detailing.  Jazz girls may wear dance shorts with a fitted stretchy top.  A student who wears a ballet look to jazz class, or vice versa, might find themselves looking very out of place.  Hip hop is something altogether different.  

As to changing - Your dd can easily wear a sports bra and dance shorts (with or without tan tights) under a skirt and a t-shirt. Target has some basic black sports bras that may work.  Changing is as simple as taking off the skirt and tee and putting on a dance top, or also taking off the shorts and putting on a leo.  Keep in mind that some dance clothes are too skimpy to wear to school (unless worn as an under-layer, and some may be too expensive (tights!) to wear for a rough and tumble day.

All that said, check eBay and local thrift stores for second-hand leotards.  Hand-me-downs are also worth seeking out; Craigslist or other local sources may be fruitful.  Tights will have to be purchased new, and should be of a high quality from a dance brand like Bloch - they will be cheaper in the long run than buying tights from Walmart or Target repeatedly.  Buy them a size larger than the package says and they will last longer.  Teach your dd how to put them on gently.

If your dd needs a leo, it's tempting to get one of the basic short sleeved black ones from Target.  They are inexpensive.  But these are So Not Fashionable beyond a certain age.  Go second-hand for the same price and get a pretty one from a good dance brand. Again - looking at what the other kids are wearing will be a wise move.

If anything goes, it would be easier and much cheaper to go with a black sports bra with a black cami or tank over it and then you can layer over that as you see fit for everyday wear.  Add a pair of black shorts or capris and a dance skirt to the locker for actual class time. 

:iagree:

My dd's school required leos and tights.  A leo with thin straps that looks like a cami can be worn all day with another shirt over it (low v-neck or button down so you can see the leo is cute).  Shorts, capris, a dance skirt - and even black tights can be quickly and easily pulled right on over the leo.  

Snap bodysuits are more a cheer thing, and I can't see them working for dance, because the only way they're at all comfortable is to have underwear under them. That works for cheer, where there's another layer over them so lines don't show, but not for dance.  They also usually come with turtlenecks and zip tight up the back. DD barely tolerates hers for long enough to get through a cheer competition or showcase.(she does competitive rec, so she doesn't have games to cheer at).

I agree that you need more information about what exactly they want worn.  I think the shorts/sport bra/tank top under regular clothes is a great idea.

My daughter did wear snap-crotch leotards when she was in kindergarten and first grade.  She had to go right to dance from school and one of her dance teachers picked her up.  She couldn't deal with a leotard all day long at school but didn't really have time (and I didn't want the teacher to have to deal with it) to change after school.  It was only one or two days a week though and she threw a pair of shorts or skirt on over it for dance.  I don't think it would be a comfortable option every day.

Long time dance mom here. I agree to ditch the crotch snap leotard idea fast!

Dance is quite a workout, and just from the body odor perspective, it will be best for her to change after class each day. For that reason, plus the fact that kids this age tend to want to dress similarly to their peers, I wouldn't invest a lot in clothes until she's been in class for a week and you have the specfic requirements.

My daughter will be taking a dance fitness class in ps this year. She will be bringing a variety of clothing items to mix and match depending on what they're doing, the temperature of the room, and her own needs. This will include leotard and tights, jazz pants,leg warmers, leggings (like the runners wear), soffe shorts, tshirts, and a warm-up jacket.

:iagree:

My dd's school required leos and tights.  A leo with thin straps that looks like a cami can be worn all day with another shirt over it (low v-neck or button down so you can see the leo is cute).  Shorts, capris, a dance skirt - and even black tights can be quickly and easily pulled right on over the leo.  

But a regular leo is a pain to wear all day--you have to undress every time you go to the bathroom, and wearing clothes over it makes that even harder. If she needs a leotard for dance she should just plan to change.

6th grade?  Is she in adult sizes?

The Balera line from Dancewear Solutions is good- http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/dancewear/leotards/default.aspx Shipping starts at $2.95.

Leos start at $11.25. tights start at $3.95! http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/tights/default.aspx  And these are dance tights- don't try to get by with fashion tights or pantyhose. Dance tights will last longer and look better. I had a pair of Capezio tights last through *3* girls, 2 years each! (child small, 1-day/week 1-hr class, but still- great investment!) Ballet shoes start at $9!  http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/shoes/default.aspx  DO NOT buy the bedroom slippers from Target! 

See what other students are wearing for dance...  but I really don't see her going through class 5 days/week in dance clothes, unless she can wear booty sorts without undies and a sport-bra style dance top as her bra under her regular clothing. Does thw school have a photo gallery on their website?  Get some ideas from there.

Snap-crotch- ummm....  no.  Sorry!  Esp. not for a 6th grader, every day of the week.

I also wouldn't get too much until you really knew what other kids were wearing and what exactly teachers were expecting. My dd does black leos/pink tights at her studio and does Ballet, jazz, tap, etc etc.  These are my favorite leos to order - so cheap and hold up well.  We do have a couple "prettier" leos now that we've been in it for a while, but the basic ones are actually the most comfortable for regular use with the wider shoulder straps.  Then she also has a couple pairs of plain black booty shorts and a couple of pull on dance skirts, and that gets her through everything.

http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_TH5512C.html?pid=20265&Shop=Style&&skey=mylist%3A54011&search=true&SID=599477861

She's not quite eleven and small for her age, in kids' sizes still (10-12). But growing fast. The class has units on several types of dance, starting with ballet.

The teacher specified they should have at least one pair of "nude" shorts and one of black, that bras should be in neutral colors close to skin tone, and nothing with skirts, nothing loose, no crop tops.

They will be doing units of several types of dance. I will probably get her one leotard, as she might also want to wear it for recreational gymnastics. I suspect you're not wrong about the snap idea.

Dance is her next to last period (followed by show choir) so I'm not too worried about her working up a sweat. I don't want her having to undress to go to the bathroom.

Tights, shorts, leggings and tanks are probably what I'll get her. And neutral bras.

I'm just glad shoes aren't required!

But a regular leo is a pain to wear all day--you have to undress every time you go to the bathroom, and wearing clothes over it makes that even harder. If she needs a leotard for dance she should just plan to change.

Umm, OK but the OP said her dd "doesn't want to be bothered with entirely changing every day", so if she's required to wear leos for her class than it's not a big deal to wear a leo all day.  At my dd's performing arts high school many of the girls wore their leos all day (my dd did both depending on her mood).  Not a big deal if you'd rather not be bothered changing.  

They will be doing units of several types of dance. I will probably get her one leotard, as she might also want to wear it for recreational gymnastics. I suspect you're not wrong about the snap idea.

Dance and gymnastic leotards have very different fit and materials, so you she might want a separate leo for gymnastics.

Dance and gymnastic leotards have very different fit and materials, so you she might want a separate leo for gymnastics.

I will say, my dd does a floor acrobatics class stacked between some dance classes at her dance studio and the dance leos have been fine for that too.  That's all she owns.  I wouldn't necessarily purchase something different if you're trying to minimize purchasing without at least trying a basic dance leo. 

I would try to find out additional information before buying anything. For example, the shorts that most dancers wear are a tight jazz short (sometimes called booty shorts), and you would find this at a dance store, not Target. You can get biker style shorts at a regular store if that is what the others in the class will be wearing. Can you ask someone who was in the class last year to find out what most girls choose to wear? Or ask the teacher for some more specific guidance about whether your daughter needs true dancewear or just exercise-type clothing. I'd hate for you to make choices now, only to find out that you purchased the wrong thing.

She's not quite eleven and small for her age, in kids' sizes still (10-12). But growing fast. The class has units on several types of dance, starting with ballet.

The teacher specified they should have at least one pair of "nude" shorts and one of black, that bras should be in neutral colors close to skin tone, and nothing with skirts, nothing loose, no crop tops.

Dance is her next to last period (followed by show choir) so I'm not too worried about her working up a sweat. I don't want her having to undress to go to the bathroom.

Tights, shorts, leggings and tanks are probably what I'll get her. And neutral bras.

On size - my dd is 10 and very small. In street clothes I buy her mostly 10-12 now but she can still wear almost all of her 7-8 clothes.

For dance she is now in a Child Large leotard (that is in the basic Capezio tank). Almost all the other girls in her classes have moved to adult sizes. I have heard the the adult XS leotards are very long and narrow. Many of the girls went from child large to adult small, skipping XS.

Black booty shorts are a dance staple, but I am puzzled by the idea of "nude" shorts?  

At the studios we've been to, for class, bras should be either completely unseen (as in, hidden by outer clothing, so it really doesn't matter what color they are), or of a "sports bra" style designed to be seen in a color that either blends in (a black bra under a black leo, for example), or contrasts attractively (a hot pink sports bra under a pink-and-black dance top).  Some leos have built-in shelf bras, so in some cases a bra may not be needed at all.

For performance, dancers often need undergarments that might be visible outside the costume at short range, but will blend in and not be noticed on stage.  Nude leos are often used; the most versatile have a low back, higher cut legs, and clear straps that can be worn in several different ways.  There are also bras with a clear back strap, for costumes with a low-cut back.  None of this is necessary for class, though.

Some dancers like to wear tights under their booty shorts; others prefer to go without.  Some studios are OK with omitting tights, and some aren't.

I would probably start with black booty shorts and a close-fitting black dance top that is long enough to hide her belly, plus a black sports bra and a black thin-strapped cami with some lycra in it.  Check Target for the bra and Aeropostale for the cami; get the others at a dance shop.  All of these pieces can mix and match with later acquisitions, and they make two different outfits (the shorts with the dance top and the shorts with the cami and the sports bra).  You can then wash the outfit each evening (assuming you have easy access to laundry facilities) for the first week or two, while your dd gets a sense of what she'd like to add to the mix.  (The Aero camis go on sale frequently, usually in some kind of BOGO deal, and they can be a very useful layering piece in all kinds of ways, in and out of class.)

Regular daily-wear leggings aren't ideal for dance; a "compression" fit is best.

If you sew, consider making some dance shorts and/or leggings.  They are actually super-easy.  Jalie and Kwik Sew have some good patterns, and fabric can be ordered online from Spandex World or Spandex House in NYC.  Bootie shorts take less than a yard of fabric - way less - and once you've got a pattern that fits it's easy to make more pairs.  I've even made them out of old cotton/lycra shirts.  We give them as gifts to dance friends, too - a quality gift that will get used and doesn't cost us much to make.

I would try to find out additional information before buying anything. For example, the shorts that most dancers wear are a tight jazz short (sometimes called booty shorts), and you would find this at a dance store, not Target. You can get biker style shorts at a regular store if that is what the others in the class will be wearing. Can you ask someone who was in the class last year to find out what most girls choose to wear? Or ask the teacher for some more specific guidance about whether your daughter needs true dancewear or just exercise-type clothing. I'd hate for you to make choices now, only to find out that you purchased the wrong thing.

I second this.  For example, if by "shorts" the school means booty shorts and you show up with soffe shorts, that's not ideal and may not be allowed.  There's a difference between a "dance" look and a "sports" look.  If the budget wasn't tight, it would be less of an issue, but since you want to get it right the first time, it's worth being aware of these distinctions before you buy.

On size - my dd is 10 and very small. In street clothes I buy her mostly 10-12 now but she can still wear almost all of her 7-8 clothes.

For dance she is now in a Child Large leotard (that is in the basic Capezio tank). Almost all the other girls in her classes have moved to adult sizes. I have heard the the adult XS leotards are very long and narrow. Many of the girls went from child large to adult small, skipping XS.

I will add that leotards from different manufacturers vary in size; she might be a CXL (child extra large) in one, a CL in another, an AXS or AP (adult petite - before adult small) in another.  And yes, an adult XS is a different shape than a child XL - the CXL is probably wider even if it has the same girth.  In addition, different necklines fit differently.  I always have dd bend forward and back to see how the neckline falls on her before buying.

My homeschooled daughter does ballet daily in the late afternoon and evenings but just gets dressed in tights and leotard in the morning. She likes to wear cute skirts over them, but otherwise manages all day in dance gear rather than change. She also wears a bun all day... Not sure why.

The only plus is that it saves on undies, bras and socks... We usually buy leotards from discount dance. Camisoles or cap sleeves with interesting strappy backs are popular. Black shorts over the top for contemporary and jazz and Convertible tights if she's doing pointe work.

I will add that leotards from different manufacturers vary in size; she might be a CXL (child extra large) in one, a CL in another, an AXS or AP (adult petite - before adult small) in another. And yes, an adult XS is a different shape than a child XL - the CXL is probably wider even if it has the same girth. In addition, different necklines fit differently. I always have dd bend forward and back to see how the neckline falls on her before buying.

Oh yes!

If you are ordering online, pay attention to the size charts and measure your dd carefully. The torso measurement (you measure from a shoulder, down to the crotch, up around and back to the shoulder) is very important for fit. I know Discount Dance has size charts for each leotard--not sure about the other websites linked above.

I will get rights because DD likes wearing tights with shorts. She already had several pairs of black tights, in fact.

Her gymnastics class is recreational and low-level. She's not even required to wear a leo for it.

The shorts called for by the dance teacher were specified to be mid-thigh. I believe it said no booty shorts.

DD's current favorite investment happens to be a grey shelf cami. I will be looking for more like it in black.

The teacher specifically said if you can find stuff that works at a big box for less, run with it. He also passed out discount coupons for a couple of stores. I don't think anyone's going to get hung up on brand, etc.

Thanks for the sizing tips. I'm not above fitting her at the dance store, purchasing just one or two items, and then getting more of what fits online for cheaper. Though supporting local stores would be my preference.

We will check secondhand stores, too.