Menu

Pay for house cleaning?

Heidi

How much could I expect to pay for someone to clean 2300 sq. ft., 5 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, including playroom and movie room. It would already be picked up. I need floors cleaned, bathrooms, windows, dust, wipe walls doors and cabinets.

Prices really vary, depending on whether it's someone who just does it themselves on the side or whether it is through a bigger company.   For example, my daughter cleans houses during the school year while in college and makes $20/hour.  I've researched companies to houseclean for my mother and they often charge $40-$50/hour!

I've found that Amazon Local or Groupon very, very often has specials (maybe for new start-up companies?) on housecleaning deals. 

I know I'm not giving you an estimate for the full job, just the hourly rate.  Many sites will give you an estimate online.

I would see if your 10 and 8 year olds would like to earn a little extra $$ and teach them to each so a few things and do them well......my 10 year old can out clean my teens!  And I give him some $$ to do it.

Or are you moving?

When I have hired someone, it was over $100 and they did not clean any cupboards, wipe any walls, or do windows.

In my area, it would probably be around $135-150 for regular service….but I don't know of any services which would wipe all of your doors.  Spot wipe any smudges? Yes.  As for windows, that is usually extra….although most would do sliding glass doors or a glass front door type thing.

If it was a one time deal, they would charge you more as a deep clean.

(Note: This is going through somebody who has their own company/works for themselves. If you use Merry Maids or something similar, you pay a lot more.)

I think you'll need to figure out if this is a one time thing, a weekly thing, a monthly thing, etc. as that impacts the price substantially.   We go back and forth about hiring cleaners, but haven't done so yet.  I think I'd almost prefer someone to work hourly for a set number of hours, and then I could give them a list of what I'd like done, cleared with them as options before they were ever hired.  For example, some weeks it might be cleaning blinds, windows, and bathrooms vs. a traditional house cleaning, kwim?  I suspect this would be tough to find, but in an ideal world it would be my personal preference. 

It really varies with the detail you need and desire. "Cleaning companies" that just come do that surfaces/bathrooms cleaning overcharge, IMHO. The cleaning people are usually making barely minimum wage and the owners/operators take the rest (usually more than half) for overhead. If you can find a individual person, you will nearly always get a better deal and you'll know the person doing the chore is making a more living wage. I like to hire individuals hourly for the flexibility of having them do more or less or projects, etc. Plus, they can then do laundry, dishes, clean up clutter, etc, with no hard feelings or stress since they are getting the same hourly wage. In our area, where gals who work for the cleaning services are making maybe $8-9/hr at most, I feel good paying people 10-12/hr if they are just doing it on the side and are of variable competency and efficiency. I pay $14/hr for an efficient and can-do-will-do-anything woman right now. That's the top I'd pay for cleaning help. I'd feel OK about paying 12-14/hr to someone who was very good and efficient. I overpay a bit for my current woman (love her) as she not only is willing to do ANY chore I need done and very independent, but she is also an experienced professional home caregiver, and she can and will watch and help my mom (with Alzheimer's) while she is here, too, so I can rely on her to care for Mom (easy to do) if I am not at home when she is here, and that is worth a substantial premium to me. If it were cleaning only, I'd probably pay more like 12/hr. I know that in my town, almost no low level jobs pay more than 10/hr or so . . . In a high cost of living / high wage area, it can be very hard to find anyone to do these chores. In my mom's previous home in a very high cost area, she was paying more like 25-35/hr just for cleaning help! Ack!! That's bonkers, IMHO.

ps. It's a lot easier to find someone if you can offer them at least once a week work on a regular schedule. If it's just once or twice a month, you will have to pay a substantial premium. I figured out a long time ago that I could (and did) hire a reliable 2-3/day week 6hr day housekeeper for 10/hr . . . for not much more than I would have had to pay a weekly service! For $180/wk I had 18 hours of cleaning and babysitting and chores done . . . Waaaayyy better deal than a once a week crew to scrub surfaces for 3-5 hours . . . I've also hired homeschooled or other teens for 10/hr to do cleaning once a week while they were in between jobs or just looking for some cash. Great deal for all of us, but they require a lot of guidance and help, as it is rare to find a young person who even knows how to clean, lol.

At least $200 per week for a very basic, bare-bones job. More than that if you only had them come once or twice a month.

:svengo:

$200 for 8 hours is 25/hr! In our community, the only people generally making that kind of money have someone's life or freedom in their hands, and generally have many, many years of very expensive education as well. 

If you are going to spend that kind of money on cleaning, I *highly* recommend putting an ad in the paper and hiring yourself a 2 day a week housekeeper at 15/hr for 6 or 8 hour days . . . In the vast majority of communities, you'll have dozens of awesome applicants in 24 hours. That's what I did when I needed help . . . and I was astounded at the applicants. I paid 10/hr 10 years ago, which would be more like 12/hr in today's money . . . and every person who applied wanted the job, and the two people I hired stayed until they moved away many years later or other life circumstances ended their working career. My job was obviously a sought after and highly valued job. (Offering some flexibility in scheduling . . . and being nice to your staff . . . makes for a great job.)

Think of all the people on this board who are looking for spare $$. I am pretty sure many would jump at the chance to schedule one or two shifts a week to clean for you at double minimum wage, especially under the table income . . .

:svengo:

$200 for 8 hours is 25/hr! In our community, the only people generally making that kind of money have someone's life or freedom in their hands, and generally have many, many years of very expensive education as well.

If you are going to spend that kind of money on cleaning, I *highly* recommend putting an ad in the paper and hiring yourself a 2 day a week housekeeper at 15/hr for 6 or 8 hour days . . . In the vast majority of communities, you'll have dozens of awesome applicants in 24 hours. That's what I did when I needed help . . . and I was astounded at the applicants. I paid 10/hr 10 years ago, which would be more like 12/hr in today's money . . . and every person who applied wanted the job, and the two people I hired stayed until they moved away many years later or other life circumstances ended their working career. My job was obviously a sought after and highly valued job. (Offering some flexibility in scheduling . . . and being nice to your staff . . . makes for a great job.)

Think of all the people on this board who are looking for spare $$. I am pretty sure many would jump at the chance to schedule one or two shifts a week to clean for you at double minimum wage, especially under the table income . . .

Actually, the $200 is for more like 4 hours, and it seems to be pretty typical around here.

In our area, you can't really live on $25/hour. Our lowest-paid employee makes over $30 per hour and she only does very basic bookkeeping.

Actually, the $200 is for more like 4 hours, and it seems to be pretty typical around here.

In our area, you can't really live on $25/hour. Our lowest-paid employee makes over $30 per hour and she only does very basic bookkeeping.

Gasp.

$50/hr x 40 hrs a week x 50 weeks = 100,000 for a housecleaner . . . I grew up in NoVA, one of the more expensive areas in the country, with $400,000 townhouses . . . and even there, housecleaners don't earn anything near that . . . Gasp.

Gasp.

$50/hr x 40 hrs a week x 50 weeks = 100,000 for a housecleaner . . . I grew up in NoVA, one of the more expensive areas in the country, with $400,000 townhouses . . . and even there, housecleaners don't earn anything near that . . . Gasp.

No that's not $50/ hr take home.

The house cleaner brings her own equipment ( vacuum , etc) and supplies. She's got to purchase and maintain those things. At those rates you are paying for a person who is paying for business licenses and insurance ( I wouldn't want to hire a house cleaner who got injured working in my house and then have to pay for those injuries). There's the vehicle she drives to her jobs. There's gas.

Then the scheduling. Depending on the size of house and location the house cleaners may not be able to get another house to clean that say. Most cleaners can only do two houses a day, but that's only if they don't have to travel big distances between them.

And I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out.

Now, if the house cleaner works for a company that takes care of the overhead, she's skiing a lot less per hour. If the housecleaner owns her business she also needs to do book keeping, advertising, scheduling and other stuff that does not earn money directly. She only gets money when she does a job, but she has a lot of other stuff to do to maintain a business.

I live in northern VA, 20 years ago a three bedroom two and a half bath town house was $80 /week.

I'd expect to pay significantly more for a larger house today.

in my high COL area, it runs $35/hr/person. I have a team of three come throuhg my 1700s.f. house witha focus on kitchen, floors, and bathrooms. They are here for 90-120 minutes and I am charged $150 twice a month. The first cleaning took longer and thus cost more. They bring their own supplies, gloves, and equipment.

Our old house was about the same sq footage but fewer rooms.  It was $145 per week to have someone come every other week.  That did not include much wiping of walls and cabinets or windows (those were done in a separate, deep cleaning, visit).

Minimum $200 - $250 here.  Barebones job, like Catwoman said.  (Was it Catwoman?)  More detailed cleaning would require higher pay.  No walls, cabinets, windows, obviously.

Whether this will be a weekly, biweekly or one off job would matter, too, with weekly rates being the lowest.

We have a weekly cleaner, and we have a very small home.  3 br, 4 bath, but only 1300 sq feet - we have a townhouse, to avoid yard work. :D  We have spent 12 years finding a cleaner that's affordable.  Prices range from $145/week down to our current steal at $80/week.  $80 per week, again, is a steal, and we tip very well to offset that price.  Before finding this one (who was recommended by a friend), prices averaged between $95 - $145.  Weekly.  

No that's not $50/ hr take home.

The house cleaner brings her own equipment ( vacuum , etc) and supplies. She's got to purchase and maintain those things. At those rates you are paying for a person who is paying for business licenses and insurance ( I wouldn't want to hire a house cleaner who got injured working in my house and then have to pay for those injuries). There's the vehicle she drives to her jobs. There's gas.

Then the scheduling. Depending on the size of house and location the house cleaners may not be able to get another house to clean that say. Most cleaners can only do two houses a day, but that's only if they don't have to travel big distances between them.

And I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out.

Now, if the house cleaner works for a company that takes care of the overhead, she's skiing a lot less per hour. If the housecleaner owns her business she also needs to do book keeping, advertising, scheduling and other stuff that does not earn money directly. She only gets money when she does a job, but she has a lot of other stuff to do to maintain a business.

I live in northern VA, 20 years ago a three bedroom two and a half bath town house was $80 /week.

I'd expect to pay significantly more for a larger house today.

I have had hired housekeepers for over a decade, and I have always provided all equipment and supplies.

I'd estimate that $100/yr in equipment (1/4 wear and tear on a $400 vacuum, plus $5/yr for mop heads and sponges) and $3-5/day (at most, and my cleaning ladies can go through cleaning chemicals like it is water) in cleaning chemicals . . . is probably the total cost for supplies. So, maybe 7-9 per weekly visit. Not significant in these kinds of numbers, IMHO.

Now, if the person is actually running it as a legal business, then, yes, add overhead of maybe 10% for scheduling/office crap and another 10-20% for insurance and professional services, etc (CPA, etc) . . . I own a business, so I know all about overhead, but a cleaning company would have relatively low overhead compared to most businesses. I'd guess at most 20-25% of billed charges for supplies/equipment/licensing/insurance. Any excess overhead would be administrative expenses and/or profit. No way is it 50% or close to it unless you have a very poorly run business. In any event, that is why I don't like to go through agencies. I can get better cleaning and better pricing and more flexibility by hiring a trusted individual, who I know is getting the whole 12-14/hr instead of 8 or 9. 

We were paying $125 for 3000 sq. ft. each time for 2x per month.  The first cleaning is generally double that price, however we agreed to just have 1/2 the house cleaned the first time so our price stayed the same.  If I were to do it again I would only agree to hourly.  *I* feel comfortable paying $20ish per hour and would not pay more.  The going rate may be a bit more than that, though.

Eta:  Make them bring their own vacuum. 

It totally depends on where you live.  In general very large urban centers and the well-off suburban areas near them will be more and smaller towns and rural areas will be less.  The east and west coasts are probably more than most anywhere in the midwest and west.  If an area is economically depressed, it is less.  If an area has lots of jobs, it is more. 

I got $15-18 an hour for housecleaning in Seattle in 1998-2000 and I was cheap then.  In 2009-2012, I paid anywhere from $20-25/hr for one guy.  I paid a service for two cleaners for an initial clean up of a small house about $275 but I wasn't happy with their work and found someone else. 

Groupon is a great way to try a new service or get a one-time boost.

I also like the fact that they are insured and bonded. I willingly pay a little extra for that peace of mind.

Oh yes, we don't mind paying extra for that as well.  And I prefer to have a service because then they take care of filing taxes for the people who work for them.

We make sure to tip well, because the people working for the service are not seeing as much of the income, and I want to be sure that they are well compensated for their work.  

But licensed, insured, bonded... Very important here as well.  :)  

We pay $80 for about 3.5 hours for a pretty bare bones job. 3000 square foot house, expensive neighborhood, every 2 weeks. It's cheap for a mediocre job.  In fact lately we haven't even had her come because it was messy by the time DH came home and he felt like we were wasting money