Menu

Tired of my school drama yet (lol)? I'm seeing red.

AimeeM

For comparison, in public school, permission forms for testing are required for each series of tests. And for each testing cycle, a parent signature is required for each test. Plus, parent talks with school beforehand to learn about the tests.

Tony has an e-mail ready to send out on DD's last day (they have full days Monday and Tuesday; half days and ceremonies Wednesday and Thursday). It pretty much says everything he has wanted to tell the Headmaster for last couple months, but we didn't want to make things bad for DD while she finished out the year.

There is a board... but the Headmaster is the founder of the school, financially backs the school for the most part (I believe), and is either friends with, or employs, most (if not all) of the board.

Personally, I would not advocate sending the email, as I do not see how it would benefit you or dd. I prefer the 'don't get mad, get even' approach. And you don't want to be seen as the crazy/angry people should a lawsuit ensue.

Keep a thick file detailing the issues you have had.

Hold onto it for a while.

I suspect you will be asked by other parents in the future about things going on at the school.

This way you have some sort of recollection noted close to the time of events happening and some paper documentation.

At least you are leaving school knowing that you are absolutely doing the right thing!

Keep a file. Maybe you could use it to sue for return of some of the tuition you paid. Or maybe it will be handy in a class action suit. Or maybe if some regulatory agency tries to shut them down.

All I can say is, thank goodness that assistant is not working in a doctor's office or hospital, authorizing procedures.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I picked DD up from a camp out and asked Headmaster if DD had participated. He said "not to my knowledge; she wasn't on my list". I told him what DD said, and then he stated "well, then I guess she did participate; I would suggest you just take it as a free eval".

This is a school camp out? Am I remembering correctly that dd is the only girl in the school?

This is a school camp out? Am I remembering correctly that dd is the only girl in the school?

She is the only girl attending the school, but they generally provide either a female chaperone (like the headmaster's female physician who travels with them) or, in this case, some of the staff's daughters were attending. When there absolutely cannot be a another female to directly chaperone, DD has her own bedroom at the school, where she sleeps, while the boys camp out (outdoors and heavily guarded).

She is the only girl attending the school, but they generally provide either a female chaperone (like the headmaster's female physician who travels with them) or, in this case, some of the staff's daughters were attending. When there absolutely cannot be a another female to directly chaperone, DD has her own "bedroom" at the school, where she sleeps, while the boys camp out (outdoors and heavily guarded).

Thank goodness.

I don't know that there's anyone really in charge of the Headmaster, to be frank. I mean, there's a board, but the school was founded by the headmaster, and is largely funded by him, I believe; the board is made up of his friends and employees.

Where did you get this info? Was it from him? Perhaps he was exaggerating his own importance?

Where did you get this info? Was it from him? Perhaps he was exaggerating his own importance?

No, not directly from him. I know that he purchased the building (papers and news articles), and I've met some of the board members; one is the grandfather of his first student, and the headmaster is long time friends with his parents, and I know that some of the teachers sit on the boards, and at least one other parent, if I'm not mistaken.

Aimee, I say this in the most gentle and non-judgmental way possible; you are expecting too much from these people. They have already shown you that they are not willing or capable of meeting your requests.  Yet, for reasons that are important to your daughter and family you have allowed her to remain in the school until the end of the year. All you can do at this point is take a deep breath and count the days until you can leave.  You are only going to rive yourself crazy if you try to understand their motives and logic.  ((Hugs))

Tony has an e-mail ready to send out on DD's last day (they have full days Monday and Tuesday; half days and ceremonies Wednesday and Thursday). It pretty much says everything he has wanted to tell the Headmaster for last couple months, but we didn't want to make things bad for DD while she finished out the year.

Make sure you have a copy of her transcripts before you do anything like that.

Aimee, I say this in the most gentle and non-judgmental way possible; you are expecting too much from these people. They have already shown you that they are not willing or capable of meeting your requests.  Yet, for reasons that are important to your daughter and family you have allowed her to remain in the school until the end of the year. All you can do at this point is take a deep breath and count the days until you can leave.  You are only going to rive yourself crazy if you try to understand their motives and logic.  ((Hugs))

Oh I had given  up hope that they would meet our requests; I will, however, admit to being surprised and disgusted that they would go behind our backs to obtain evaluations and diagnostic testing. I know it shouldn't have surprised me, but it did :P

Initially we had her stay because we thought it was the only way to obtain the psych ed eval she NEEDS, as it was set up through the school. By the time we found out that we could do it at another location, without the school, we only had a couple weeks to go. At that point it was important to DD that she stay to spend a bit more time with the few teachers she does enjoy, and to participate in the end of year activities. I was also a bit concerned that it could turn messy for us, legally, if we were to pull her so suddenly - I would have needed to register with our accountability association, keep attendance at home, and keep a portfolio of work for the rest of the 180 days required that she wasn't in the school, should the school decide to make things difficult for us with the city. I had nothing in place, really, to do that with, on such short notice and with so little time left in the year. I'm a worry wart like that, though :P

There is a board... but the Headmaster is the founder of the school, financially backs the school for the most part (I believe), and is either friends with, or employs, most (if not all) of the board.

Where is this? I don't think that is even legal around here. There are rules about who can be on the board of a private school, and this set-up smacks of shenanigans.

Get a lawyer to pursue the school, and contact the private practice that did the evals. Let them know that your child's evaluation was done against your expressed wishes and that the school is to not receive any information whatsoever regarding your child's eval. I'm a bit surprised they evaluated a child who did not have the signed parental slip in their hand -- usually those slips are for the medical practitioners, not the school.

Then go out to every private school review website you can find and post a review with a poor rating and tell why. Be factual and objective, no rants or emotional writing, but state the problems you have had. People DO read these review websites when school shopping, and they will appreciate a heads-up about issues.

Okay. I've never requested transcripts before. Do I just ask for them at the end of the year? Now?

I did send an e-mail back to the admin, and copied the headmaster.

After grades have posted. You really want a copy of all of her records, not just the transcripts. Normally, the new school requests this but since you are the "new" school, you are the one requesting it.

No, not directly from him. I know that he purchased the building (papers and news articles), and I've met some of the board members; one is the grandfather of his first student, and the headmaster is long time friends with his parents, and I know that some of the teachers sit on the boards, and at least one other parent, if I'm not mistaken.

TEACHERS on the board?!? As I understand it that is not legal, at least not around here. Teachers, school staff, and Parent-Teacher Fellowship officers are all barred from being on the board. Too much risk if conflict of interest.

I do wonder, since they seem so completely clueless about so much, if they are even running this school legally.  And if they weren't doing things legally I doubt they would even know it.  They seem to feel that they can do whatever they want whenever they want.   I just wonder what the laws are regarding private schools in your state?  I know some states have pretty lax rules, but still....

I do wonder, since they seem so completely clueless about so much, if they are even running this school legally.  And if they weren't doing things legally I doubt they would even know it.  They seem to feel that they can do whatever they want whenever they want.   I just wonder what the laws are regarding private schools in your state?  I know some states have pretty lax rules, but still....

They are accredited, so they are legal.

He has headed schools for 15 years or so... me thinks he's just delusional.

TEACHERS on the board?!? As I understand it that is not legal, at least not around here. Teachers, school staff, and Parent-Teacher Fellowship officers are all barred from being on the board. Too much risk if conflict of interest.

Not sure what the laws are regarding board members at private schools in this state, actually.

So did they think you didn't realize your dd was missing out(you forgot to sign or send in slip), Or did they know you didn't want her evaluated and intentionally overrided anyway?

Sounds like a heated situation to begin with, but it makes a difference if it was a misunderstanding or intentionally going against your will.

I disagree. The forms were required to be signed for the student to be evaluated. To have a student evaluated without the required parental consent leaves the school vulnerable to legal action, potentially including charges. No matter how well-meant it might have been it was grossly unprofessional and needs to be seriously addressed.

The fact (as I understand from this thread) that there have been other problems with the running if the school further supports not showing leniency in this case.

Quite frankly, I would be suspicious that they asked a school employee you liked to write the email (whether it be true or not) in hopes you would be less inclined to raise a stink and "make trouble" for that employee.

If they are accredited contact their Accreditation Board about your issues with them.

I disagree. The forms were required to be signed for the student to be evaluated. To have a student evaluated without the required parental consent leaves the school vulnerable to legal action, potentially including charges. No matter how well-meant it might have been it was grossly unprofessional and needs to be seriously addressed.

The fact (as I understand from this thread) that there have been other problems with the running if the school further supports not showing leniency in this case.

Quite frankly, I would be suspicious that they asked a school employee you liked to write the email (whether it be true or not) in hopes you would be less inclined to raise a stink and "make trouble" for that employee.

Well, the admin who e-mailed me is the one who I initially wrote with a simple "did Autumn participate in the speech and hearing evaluations?", because Autumn wasn't clear on exactly what she participated in, just that it was some kind of evaluation, where she talked to someone. She didn't, however, write back until AFTER I had confronted the headmaster about it.

I am baffled as to how they achieved accreditation with all the weird blunders and poor decisions and erratic behavior.  Really bizarre.  They don't seem to follow any real laws or guidelines, just whatever they think is right at that moment.

I am baffled as to how they achieved accreditation with all the weird blunders and poor decisions and erratic behavior.  Really bizarre.  They don't seem to follow any real laws or guidelines, just whatever they think is right at that moment.

Well, I have my theories about that.

First, the school is incredibly small (only 17 students this year, and prior to this year it was only like 14). Many of the students are children of parents loyal to the headmaster, and *I think* followed him from another school, and/or have been family friends of his for years. Other students are sibling groups.

When I say there is some hero worship going on, regarding the way many parents feel about this man, I'm not exaggerating. Any get together is ended with a tearful, smiling parent expressing their gratitude for this man - "we would be lost, we wouldn't be anything, without him!".

The school is new enough that there may not be a sheer number of enough students who have left to have accumulated negative reviews.

I *do* know that we aren't the only ones leaving next year. I'm not privy to why the other parents are pulling out (2 that I hear, through the grapevine, are leaving), but there's that.

IMO, e-mail is not an appropriate format for serious matters that may result in a legal resolution. Write a certified letter if you are going to do anything and forward a copy to the accreditation body for your state- probably the Department of Education. 

The school serves a very narrow niche and it is highly likely that it is appreciated by the parents who continue to attend, I am not surprised that they are grateful for any help given the challenges 2e parents face.  But that doesn't alter the fact that you have not been well served.  Better to let someone official know (the state) than to worry about the school's private board. 

The individuals doing the evaluation may have responsibilities with regard to going forward without consent.  You may want to consider making contact with them directly and letting them know that they were either misled by the school or if they knowingly conducted the screening without parental consent, that you hold them culpable. 

But above all else, if you are leaving, and don't plan to seek any restitution via legal action, know what it is you want to accomplish before writing anything.  I doubt if the the school administration cares what dissatisfied parents think, sadly.  So if you want to complain with results you will need to do so in a way that reaches someone with authority to act. 

Sorry for your ordeal.  It is hard enough making good decisions for our kids without people totally messing with us! 

I do not think we are considering legal resolution. We just want to be done.

I know I probably shouldn't have (in hindsight), but before leaving I did want to tell them what I stated in the e-mail; essentially that I find it very concerning that any school would believe they have the right to go behind a parent's back, without their permission, and against policy, to obtain a medical or educational evaluation and/or diagnosis (I said a bit more than that, but that's the jist of it).

I do not, under any circumstances, want them to be under the impression that we are leaving on a happy note.

IMO, e-mail is not an appropriate format for serious matters that may result in a legal resolution. Write a certified letter if you are going to do anything and forward a copy to the accreditation body for your state- probably the Department of Education. 

The school serves a very narrow niche and it is highly likely that it is appreciated by the parents who continue to attend, I am not surprised that they are grateful for any help given the challenges 2e parents face.  But that doesn't alter the fact that you have not been well served.  Better to let someone official know (the state) than to worry about the school's private board. 

The individuals doing the evaluation may have responsibilities with regard to going forward without consent.  You may want to consider making contact with them directly and letting them know that they were either misled by the school or if they knowingly conducted the screening without parental consent, that you hold them culpable. 

But above all else, if you are leaving, and don't plan to seek any restitution via legal action, know what it is you want to accomplish before writing anything.  I doubt if the the school administration cares what dissatisfied parents think, sadly.  So if you want to complain with results you will need to do so in a way that reaches someone with authority to act. 

Sorry for your ordeal.  It is hard enough making good decisions for our kids without people totally messing with us! 

I would leave the school. Someone else controls your child during the day when you hand your child over like that. The only solution is to leave the school. At the public schools, they just do the eval anyway, you do not have to give permission. You cannot even refuse for the hearing and sight testing.

I would leave the school. Someone else controls your child during the day when you hand your child over like that. The only solution is to leave the school. At the public schools, they just do the eval anyway, you do not have to give permission. You cannot even refuse for the hearing and sight testing.

I did consider that. The difference, here, is that this isn't done through the district, there is nobody on staff to do these evals - a private practice wants new patients and offered to do these evals for free, in exchange (I guess) for being able to practice on site, but everyone specified that parental permission was mandatory.

We are definitely leaving the school. We already have school books coming in, lining up new co-op arrangements, etc.

We aren't, really. DD begged to stay through the end of the year, even after we found out that we can have the psych ed eval done elsewhere, to participate in the end of year activities and spend a bit more time with the few really great teachers she has. It's important to her. She's made some strong connections to two teachers in particular.

You said she really liked one of the tutors?  Could you hire the tutor after school hours 1-2X per week?  It would be $$ but a lot less then the school.

You said she really liked one of the tutors?  Could you hire the tutor after school hours 1-2X per week?  It would be $$ but a lot less then the school.

She loves her tutor. I have considered it, but I noticed something odd - all of the tutors DO take outside students, but all on site at the school after school. We do not want her at the school or on school property. I'm wondering if it's something with their contract? I do want to ask though.

Two of her three favorite teachers are OG tutors/certified. The other is a huge, intimidating, dread-locked former football player; while he is by far the most unqualified of the bunch, I can honestly say that he's one of the best teachers there - his passion for these kids is second to NONE; he *only* teaches physical education and chess, but also floats around as general handy man, resident comforter of all things boo-boo and heartbreak related.

If I had a never ending cash flow, I would hire the art teacher (also OG certified) to teach her art at home, her tutor for OG instruction, and the 6 foot-something phys ed teacher to come run drills with the kids. These are all teachers that *I'm* going to miss as much as DD will, lol.

I'm going to check into securing her tutor, but I can't compromise if she's required to tutor on campus :(

I can see this school suddenly going under when about two more families bail sometime in the next couple of years. It would be kind of you to write the great teachers letters of thanks to have ready with their resumes.

http://www.greatschools.org/ is a review site for schools.

Do consider sending a letter to the accrediting agency next week, with very gentle wording but all the details of what has gone on. They may dismiss you as one disgruntled family, but there may be others who have not shared with you yet... and it is bad for the accrediting agency for a school with their stamp of approval to have this kind of nonsense unchecked. (And IDK what kind of accrediting folks would be okay with a board composition like that??)

I think the admin just doesn't have good boundaries. Sometimes people who work with kids with disabilities or 2E or whatever (sorry--not sure of all the PC stuff--no offense meant), if they are not professionally trained and adhere rigorously to that training, get their hearts in the wrong place and think of themselves as saviours of a sort. They end up making decisions based on pity or on the idea that they know best, all coming from a place of wanting to help. What they don't get is how detrimental and just plain wrong that is!

AFA the school itself, I think I'd probably go on YELP or other sites and give some honest evaluations. i wouldn't be out to destroy their reputation, and I wouldn't get ugly, but I'd put out a warning, if there's a way to do so that is still classy and helpful.

ETA: Yes, agreeing with the PP--give credit to the good teachers in any reviews.

At least two other families are leaving. So three children, of the 17 student body, are leaving. Now, I do know that they've "replaced" those with a couple of newbs, but yes, it isn't a smart business strategy to just keep replacing those numbers, instead of growing them.

I will be writing those teachers letters - thanks for the reminder.

I will definitely write a letter to the accrediting board.

I can see this school suddenly going under when about two more families bail sometime in the next couple of years. It would be kind of you to write the great teachers letters of thanks to have ready with their resumes.

http://www.greatschools.org/ is a review site for schools.

Do consider sending a letter to the accrediting agency next week, with very gentle wording but all the details of what has gone on. They may dismiss you as one disgruntled family, but there may be others who have not shared with you yet... and it is bad for the accrediting agency for a school with their stamp of approval to have this kind of nonsense unchecked. (And IDK what kind of accrediting folks would be okay with a board composition like that??)

Just to make sure I'm reading correctly, and not taking things out of context, this is the e-mail sent to me this morning from the Admin:

Hi Aimee,

Yes, she did receive a hearing test and I take full responsibility for allowing her to participate in this brief evaluation. I was only thinking of Autumn. I thought you would want her to take advantage of the testing like all of the other students. I apologize if I overstepped my boundaries. I didn't see any harm in the evaluations, actually the results may be of importance.

Fondly,

A****

Sounds like someone was trying to be nice.

If it was a big deal initially, why did a twelve year old not refuse or say, "please, call my mom."

This school has been a thorn to you for months, yet you chose to keep your DD there. By doing so, you are relinquishing care to this same administration that has upset you in the past.

While I do not necessarily agree with the school on this matter, you have bigger fish to fry. Somebody happened to care about your DD enough to make a management decision. It is easy to think you may have just forgotten to send a permission letter as busy as you are.

Somebody happened to care about your DD enough to make a management decision. It is easy to think you may have just forgotten to send a permission letter as busy as you are.

The point of permission slips is that the parents get to decide that. If someone at the school thinks a parent forgot, it would make sense to call and inquire, but no school I've ever taught at would ask for parents to opt in to something and then do it anyway when permission was not given.

The point of permission slips is that the parents get to decide that. If someone at the school thinks a parent forgot, it would make sense to call and inquire, but no school I've ever taught at would ask for parents to opt in to something and then do it anyway when permission was not given.

I'm also under the impression that the private agency doing the screenings needed parental consent.

Just for comparison, DS2 kept on bringing home permission slips for something the school was hosting on-campus.  It did not sound appealing to me, so I didn't sign.  Then I thought he was sick while it happened, so kind of forgot about it.  A few weeks ago, his school called me and said the event is happening today, we noticed DS2 never brought in a permission slip.  Would you like to give permission over the phone for him to participate?

That, IMHO, would have been a better way for the admin to handle it.

Just for comparison, DS2 kept on bringing home permission slips for something the school was hosting on-campus.  It did not sound appealing to me, so I didn't sign.  Then I thought he was sick while it happened, so kind of forgot about it.  A few weeks ago, his school called me and said the event is happening today, we noticed DS2 never brought in a permission slip.  Would you like to give permission over the phone for him to participate?

Exactly, it takes 2 mins to make a phone call. The fact she did not fall all over herself apologizing and did not mention try to call tells me they don't give an iota about permission. I would be calling the company that performed the services and not reem them, but I would ask them if it was standard to perform services without a permission slip and that the school did so without your permission. It might stir things up from their end. 

I agree. In the past this admin HAS asked me if I wanted to sign x or participate in x, when I haven't signed or shown interest in something.

It is fairly obvious to me that they had no intention of telling me that this happened, though, as there was an attempt to play dumb when I first confronted the headmaster, and it wasn't brought up until AFTER I did so.

I had a nightmare about this school last night, Aimee.  I dreamed that you went to pick up your daughter on the last day and the whole school was locked.  You couldn't get in and they told you through a loudspeaker that they had decided she would be better off remaining there for the summer.  Ugh!

Fwiw, and I haven't read any other threads about this school experience.....

My small school is required to do spine, hearing, and vision and diabetes screenings as a part of becoming - then being - accredited. We report these findings - in numbers but not names - to the state.

A permission for is not given, consent is not sought by the outside agency. Parents can opt out. We send an email that the screening. A will happen and what they entail. They are done by age at start day of school and not every student is screened every year.

"Positive" results are reported to parents (by us) to follow up; the agency does screening ONLY.

No one profits.

I understand that some schools do have to do this testing for cred reasons... but not this school.

A private agency/practice (hearing/speech) is in the market for new clients; they want to practice on site at the school - they offered free screenings as a way to up their client base; we were told as much. We were also told that we *had* to submit a note of permission in order to participate, or our children couldn't participate in the screening.

Fwiw, and I haven't read any other threads about this school experience.....

My small school is required to do spine, hearing, and vision and diabetes screenings as a part of becoming - then being - accredited. We report these findings - in numbers but not names - to the state.

A permission for is not given, consent is not sought by the outside agency. Parents can opt out. We send an email that the screening. A will happen and what they entail. They are done by age at start day of school and not every student is screened every year.

"Positive" results are reported to parents (by us) to follow up; the agency does screening ONLY.

No one profits.

I had a nightmare about this school last night, Aimee.  I dreamed that you went to pick up your daughter on the last day and the whole school was locked.  You couldn't get in and they told you through a loudspeaker that they had decided she would be better off remaining there for the summer.  Ugh!

:(

That is kind of freaky. Really freaky.

Sorry I'm giving you nightmares :P

Everybody is posting about the gross over step of the administration, but what about the private practice doing the screening?

I mean, what kind of medical facility would test a minor without the parents consent?!? Perhaps a call to the private practice would be beneficial. I would casually ask if they had a copy of the permission form for the screening, you never had a chance to turn it in. Then, You could find out if they required forms, and if they did, if the admin forged one. Or maybe that's too sneaky.

I'm just mind boggled that the private practice didn't completely balk at the lack of forms for their protection. If you seek legal action, that could also be an angle to pursue.

:(

That is kind of freaky. Really freaky.

Sorry I'm giving you nightmares :p

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Well, I did think it was pretty funny that your school drama caused me to have a nightmare....please update on the last day of school so I know she was returned safely to your care.  :)

Everybody is posting about the gross over step of the administration, but what about the private practice doing the screening?

I mean, what kind of medical facility would test a minor without the parents consent?!? Perhaps a call to the private practice would be beneficial. I would casually ask if they had a copy of the permission form for the screening, you never had a chance to turn it in. Then, You could find out if they required forms, and if they did, if the admin forged one. Or maybe that's too sneaky.

I'm just mind boggled that the private practice didn't completely balk at the lack of forms for their protection. If you seek legal action, that could also be an angle to pursue.

I do plan to call the private practice. To clarify my own thoughts, I went back and re-read the e-mail from the headmaster about the permission notes. He did indeed specify that they *had* to have a parent's permission note on file, or the children would NOT be able to participate ("we will not be able to screen any students without written consent on file").