Menu

Cost for a tree removal?

BarbecueMom

The kids and I played catch in the front yard this morning, and less than an hour later a large branch from the tree fell down and landed right where DS5 had been standing. It's not even windy today. I think the tree is diseased and/or dying, as several neighborhood trees have been cut down the past couple years.

What's a ballpark estimate on a tree removal, if you've had one done recently? I'd prefer to have it completely ripped out so we can plant another tree, but if that's not possible the boys would love a stump. I'll be calling the trimmer tomorrow, but I just wanted to gird myself beforehand.

I so didn't need this today. DH is getting ready to start a new job, half of my household is dealing with health issues, and one of my cats (the "I hate outdoors" one) has been missing since this weekend. At least the branch didn't hurt my kids.

Well I didn't have it completely removed, but trimmed, and that cost $300. It's not cheap.

I had it trimmed two years ago to pull out the dead branches, and it cost $129 for that. I'd be all for saving it, if it was safe to do so. Those mobile tree shredders scare me.

Anywhere from $1,000 up around here. Doing a bunch of trees is more cost effective than one. We had pines with pine beetles that needed to come out, and 6 of those weren't much more than a tree that died in our front yard and had to be taken out carefully to avoid a Japanese Maple, our house, and the street. The pines were able to be dropped without much to-do.

Completely depends on the tree.  Small trees can range from $150-400.  Larger ones that require equipment to take down are in the 350-800 range.  Really big ones could be 1000+. 

It will also depend on how much you want done.  Do you want the wood removed?  Cut up into manageable pieces and you dispose of?  Those will fluctuate the cost big time.    Stump grinding is usually charged by the inch according to diameter.

A great tree company will not need equipment but will use a rope and saddle system to climb and take down trees.  However, if it's diseased and unsafe to climb, it will cost more because of the equipment needed.

Get a few estimates. Be wary of any that are much cheaper than the others. Verify insurance coverage and that it's for a tree-removal service. (Yup, paranoid, but better than an accident in your yard and the fly-by-night company just leaves the guy and drives away...)

Tree take-down and tree-removal can be broken into two parts.  We got a bit for both and it was $5000 for three large trees in a difficult location.  

HOWEVER, we looked around and found a tree-down guy who worked with gleaners.  He cut the trees for $1000, and the gleaners carted them away; they, in turn chopped them up into firewood and said they would probably make half their winter's earnings off our trees.  It took them three days to cart the trees away, and I don't know how much work at home to get it into cords but I think that was BRILLIANT teamwork on their parts. 

Wow. That is expensive. We've had three trees removed in the past several years. They were all around 12 years old, not huge, but not saplings and they cost around $150 each including stump grinding. They were great. Four guys, worked like clockwork, got everything cut down, chopped up, and cleaned up in 15 minutes.

I've paid anywhere from 1k for a large, hardwood removal/stump grinding to 5k for an even larger tree that required a crane.

If you want a tree there anyway, it would be much cheaper to consult an arborist. The tree may be fine and may just need a trim. It might be worth finding out. The limb could've fallen for lots of reasons that don't mean the whole tree is sick.

I've paid anywhere from 1k for a large, hardwood removal/stump grinding to 5k for an even larger tree that required a crane.

If you want a tree there anyway, it would be much cheaper to consult an arborist. The tree may be fine and may just need a trim. It might be worth finding out. The limb could've fallen for lots of reasons that don't mean the whole tree is sick.

Half the branches are dead. We trimmed the dead ones off two years ago, and now it's looking bare again. Decline, I think it's called? But good point, I'll see if it's salvageable first.

We had two trees, a spruce and a white pine, removed two years ago. Both were about 40' tall, in good health, and not near a building. We did not have the stumps ground as one was surrounded by underground power lines and the other was out of the way (they were cut to ground level). The price was $600 including removal. They even raked the ground clean!

We got three estimates from reputable companies.

it really depends upon the tree.  we have a major big-leaf maple clump (at least five main trunks. I loath that tree. it is mostly on the neighbors property but litters mine), the guy wanted $5K. (Didn't talk to any other aborists because I'm not paying to take out that stinkin' tree).  yet a much simpler tree (as in - one trunk doug fir, but they had to climb it) another neighbor removed was $1.6K. (sure, we'll contribute something to opening up our view some more . . . . )

so, how tall?

what's around where it is coming out?

do they have to climb it and limb it first?