Menu

What did you get for Mothers Day?

Jasperstone

Plants of Middle-Earth: Botany and Sub-creation

We were at Half Price Books, so I'm pretty sure it was a mostly random (wait, she likes plants! she likes LOTR!) pick for dh. I think the real gift was making time for HPBooks. 

DH gets very scared when I get near a bookstore!  Back in my college days my best friend and I were known to resort to eating ramen a lot to spend more $$ on books.

:drool5:

Mother's Day was also my birthday!!!!  We went out for lunch on Saturday at a locally owned restaurant I've wanted to try. Dd's each gave me a pair of summer weight PJs and a  Life is Good tshirt.  My big gift from dh was a gift set of my favorite perfume (Untold by Elizabeth Arden).  He also took me shopping earlier last week for some much needed new clothes (dress, dressier shirts).  My aunt gave me a purse that I love for my birthday.  Dh bought flowers too.  All and all, a very wonderful day!!

Oakley sunglasses.  Well, a gift card to Sunglass Hut to pick them out myself.  I had suggested new sunglasses to my 14 yo a couple of months ago and knew she would remember--she's awesome like that.  My 10 yo went to the store with me to help me pick them out, and if you've ever been in a Sunglass Hut, you know they're little stores, and that they only sell sunglasses.  The woman working there said, "Are you looking for anything in particular?"  Ummm, sunglasses?  I actually ended up buying a pair my 10 yo selected.  He's only mentioned this about a dozen times since.

I also did not cook or clean a blessed thing all day Sunday.  It was a great day.

I asked for sunglasses for Christmas and also got the Sunglass Hut trip :)  Mine are RayBans though.....

My husband is in Ranger School this year, but he made sure to order me some flowers to be delivered on Mother's Day... was really sweet of him to even think about it.

Kids and I just hung out and drew pictures. That was enough of a gift for me.

My 9yo ds got me an enormous costume jewelry ring that I will wear with all the joy that he had in giving it to me :)  One of my 11 yo dd's church leaders is a potter so she threw spoon rests that the girls painted/ glazed & she fired.  My home from college dd gave me two lovely paintings and Dh gave me a museum membership & I didn't have to cook all day on Sunday.  I also received a mini rosebush.  

In other Mother's Day news: 10 minutes before walking out the door to my 16yo dd's black belt test I broke my toe.  This is a grueling test that takes all day from 9am-4pm.  She has to demonstrate all her forms, kicks, punches, stances she has to spar one on one, three on one and five on one and she has to break eight boards and two bricks.  She has been training 4 nights/ week since the beginning of February. I have attended all the training.  Preparation for this test has taken over my life.  Dh is on a camp out with 9yo, home from college dd has to take 11yo dd to a ballet rehearsal for an upcoming recital so that leaves me to attend the marathon black belt test with a broken toe.  I buddy taped my toes together, forced on my shoe and away we went.  I think I deserve a black belt in mothering :)

Amber in SJ

Books from my dh. :) He knows what I like.

Random objects from the kiddos.

ds gave me his wooden plane, plastic tractor and some other random object.

Girls gave me sweet pieces of their jewelry. :)

Sweeties

It really was one of the most lovely days I have had in a long time.

and then the washing machine started leaking water all over the floor.

Sorry about the washing machine, my refrigerator died a week ago... on my birthday.

My 9yo ds got me an enormous costume jewelry ring that I will wear with all the joy that he had in giving it to me :)  One of my 11 yo dd's church leaders is a potter so she threw spoon rests that the girls painted/ glazed & she fired.  My home from college dd gave me two lovely paintings and Dh gave me a museum membership & I didn't have to cook all day on Sunday.  I also received a mini rosebush.  

In other Mother's Day news: 10 minutes before walking out the door to my 16yo dd's black belt test I broke my toe.  This is a grueling test that takes all day from 9am-4pm.  She has to demonstrate all her forms, kicks, punches, stances she has to spar one on one, three on one and five on one and she has to break eight boards and two bricks.  She has been training 4 nights/ week since the beginning of February. I have attended all the training.  Preparation for this test has taken over my life.  Dh is on a camp out with 9yo, home from college dd has to take 11yo dd to a ballet rehearsal for an upcoming recital so that leaves me to attend the marathon black belt test with a broken toe.  I buddy taped my toes together, forced on my shoe and away we went.  I think I deserve a black belt in mothering :)

Amber in SJ

Yes, you do!

My ds made me a rainbow loom bracelet with OKC Thunder colors.  :)  :001_wub: 

Other than that.  Nothing.  My other dc didn't do anything.  Dh didn't do anything.  Not even a card.  But he didn't for my birthday either this year so I think I've come to not expect anything for my special days.  *sigh*  

Nothing yet. 

I cooked dinner for my mother and MIL, and my SIL who was up with her kids, and that was fun. I actually like cooking, so a morning where I could cook was actually a fairly nice time for me.

I am going to get running shoes, but wouldn't you know, the very kind I like was replaced with the "new" and "improved" model, and one try on and I knew they were not "improved" at least for me. So I'll be getting my preferred model from leftover stock and trialing a new brand, which is annoying, but what are you going to do, eh?

New kick-plates for the kitchen cabinets, a home built support for the under the kitchen cabinet sink, spackling jobs completed, cleaned up downstairs hallway, clean up upstairs hallway (many trips to the attic to put the stuff in storage), and other assorted home tasks that they've been meaning to get too...

I just sat on the couch and watched them work all day :)

~coffee~

I got a SPIbelt for carring my phone when I walk/run.  It's awesome!  Nice, too, that Fleet Feet had them on sale last week!

Dh brought home flowers wrapped in plastic on Saturday.  He thought I should put them in a vase.  Ds19 brought flowers in a vase when he came home from college on Sunday.  (He must've heard on the radio that it was Mother's Day!)  I told him that I loved both bouquets, but he got extra points since his didn't need me to do anything w/them other than enjoy them!   :D   

Also got two great cards and texts from my mom, dad, and sister.

Sweet.

So I asked the boys to get me funny coffee mugs. (Our old ones are very boring white...) DH and both boys each picked mugs, and they were perfect reflections of the person who picked them out. 

DS4 picked out a beautiful mug with hydrangeas on it -- he's a love bug.

DS8 picked out a mug that says, "Mothers are all loving and caring, know their children's needs, are the joy in their children's hears ... And must be obeyed..." -- he's a sly little stinker. 

DH's mug said in big letters, "May contain stimulants" -- he's awesome.

Something out of the ordinary. We were at Disneyworld and I commented (again) that the Wild Africa trek, a 3-hour hike through the back area of Disney's Animal Kingdom savannah, looked so cool.

Guess what DH and the DC booked for me? It was fabulous! (Note: this is only a great gift if you like jungle hiking, close encounters with crocodiles and hippos, and snacking with giraffes. Not for everyone, I know.)

My husband was away at L10 nationals with DD14 (competing) and DD4 (cheering for her amazing big sister) the first part of the weekend.  They returned relatively late Saturday night.  While gone he commissioned his son and godson to expand our rose arbor during the day on Saturday while I was working an ED shift.  We had breakfast out there before church on Sunday for a great Mother's Day unveiling. 

Our older daughters also put together a really wonderful framed photo collage with some quotes.  Very awesome!