Menu

C/p need a crisis plan *UPDATE*

*Lulu*

So we have been homeschooling at half speed all year as I deal with some major health issues.

Now it looks like there is a possibility of me needing to turn over schooling to DH for several months while I receive treatment at a facility several hours away. (Well there are a couple of options but the closest is a few hours drive and I will not be able to drive back and forth. The other option is something like 6 hours away...so definitely not driving back and forth for that one!)

Stopping school is not optional because we have two SN children who are already (IMO) behind the curve in output abilities because of their LDs. We cannot afford to lose ground or momentum.

But......I cannot ask DH to take over a lot of teacher intensive curricular choices. I am going to insist he continue AAS and the AAR/HWOT hybrid that I've been using for our non-reader but need advice on some ways to streamline and make everything that I can independent and autopilot for him.

Part of it is the issue that once I leave I could be gone anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months. We have no way to know how long it will take me to respond to this treatment until we start it. I really need to plan like it will be the longer time.......I have NEVER tried to plan that far out in detail before.

HELP!!!

- signed one every tired, stressed out, and overwhelmed homeschooling momma.

I am so sorry! That sounds hugely stressful. My only thought is that you might want to check out some iPad educational apps or online programs. And I really, really don't think six months out of their lives is going to make or break their educations. I mean, I think you can relax about that part and focus on getting well.

How about using an online option? K12 or such?

Moving Beyond the Page is very open and go and can be adapted readily for reading levels and output skills. It covers all the core subjects except math.

Do not make yourself more stressed. You dc are not in high school. You do not need to worry about a transcript from this. 

I don't know what you've been doing. I'd get some workbooks that are slightly below current ability levels. Your dc could do work in these independently and not loose skills. 

Here's a simple activity your dh can do with all the kids at once. Listen to audio literature and history cds. Lots of them. After listening to section each child could draw a picture and/or write 3 words or a sentence about what they heard. They can keep their work in special journals to show mom when they visit or see you at the end of your treatment. 

Don't worry. Don't worry. You have one thing your are insisting on. Let you dh hold the rest steady. 

I am so sorry! That sounds hugely stressful. My only thought is that you might want to check out some iPad educational apps or online programs. And I really, really don't think six months out of their lives is going to make or break their educations. I mean, I think you can relax about that part and focus on getting well.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, knowing how much the boys struggle I just cannot seem let go of the worry on that front.

I've been experimenting with IPad apps for the last several weeks anticipating this possibility.

How about using an online option? K12 or such?

Moving Beyond the Page is very open and go and can be adapted readily for reading levels and output skills. It covers all the core subjects except math.

My concern with k12 is that DH would have do a lot to make it work for our boys. (We knew a family whose son had similar issues and they had to do a lot of modifications to make K12 work)

I think I may rely on Khan for math for the older two.

If you have technology available on both ends you might be able to use skype or a similar program to teach the kids via videoconferencing.  It would help to take some of the pressure off of your dh and give you something to do while being treated.

Do not make yourself more stressed. You dc are not in high school. You do not need to worry about a transcript from this.

I don't know what you've been doing. I'd get some workbooks that are slightly below current ability levels. Your dc could do work in these independently and not loose skills.

Here's a simple activity your dh can do with all the kids at once. Listen to audio literature and history cds. Lots of them. After listening to section each child could draw a picture and/or write 3 words or a sentence about what they heard. They can keep their work in special journals to show mom when they visit or see you at the end of your treatment.

Don't worry. Don't worry. You have one thing your are insisting on. Let you dh hold the rest steady.

Thank you.

I like the idea of them having something they can bring to show me when they visit.

Without knowing your actual curriculum it's hard to give specific advice but some general tips...

Break things down into weekly goals. So take your math and say "Week 1 - Lessons 1-4", "Week 2 - Lessons 5-8". Give easy, concrete goals which can be checked off by DH without too much complication.

Drop content subject curriculum (your eldest might be able to continue with his independently?). Go for a hands off approach. Gather together a list of books, documentaries, shows etc that you'd like the kids to read/watch, and again to make it simple for DH assign them simply. "Week 1 - Book ______, TV show _______". There's lots of great science and history books out there. Don't go overboard, just something consistent and interesting each week. For some variety get a few self-contained experiment kits and throw them in once a month.

LA is hard to say much about without knowing your specific approach but I would go for a hands off approach, assign writing assignments based on other topics, like the current science subject, (your kids are young enough that your husband should be able to correct their work without too much help) and assigned reading of some good books.

Break everything down into bite sized chunks so your husband can get the hang of it, but avoid a daily schedule which gets overwhelming when it gets broken, that's why I like weekly lists.

History- Just listening to SOTW or MOH CDs and putting timeline figures into a Book of Centuries or time line as you cover them.  Have history encyclopedias for each major time period laying around for them to look at.  Liberty Kids DVDS.

Science - National Geographic (love their YouTube channel) and other online science videos, DVD from the library and a nature magazine subscription or two -  We do formal science, but my kids hardly retain a thing even with constant review. Yet, they remember almost every detail of the science videos they watch especially Wild Krats (we watch these on YT, too).  :glare:

More and more we're incorporating audio books into our homeschool.  Picking my battles means not making my kids read Moby Dick but allowing them to listen to a reading of it.   :)

Have you considered something boxed like Sonlight?

Cost is definitely a factor.

Plus, while Sonlight is mostly open and go, I think my DH would flip if I handed it to him!

We are still working out the details, but think he will be working from home. The kids would need to do the bulk of their work independently during the day.

I know you said cost is a factor so this may not work but what about Teaching Textbooks for math?  Grades would be tracked by the computer, assignments are whatever lesson is next on the computer, explanations for problems they don't get right are on the computer and they could theoretically operate pretty independently.  The computer provides the videos for teaching the concept, too.  If they hit a snag everything is in the workbook so your DH could read through it and go over the problems with them.  Ideally it would be better if he was more involved but for this period of time obviously things are not going to be ideal.

Maybe Khan Academy or Education Unboxed would be cheaper options, along with a workbook or free math worksheets generated off the internet.  

If they are doing some of the previous suggestions, like listening to SOTW and watching some videos to support it, and doing a lot of science videos and books that would be fine, more than fine for history and science for 6 months, especially with the kids' ages.

Is there anyone in your area that has a homeschooled teen you trust?  Perhaps they could come over and play with the kids sometimes, give them some exercise and stimulation, read to them, help them with their work?

Maybe pick one area for dh to focus on that involves more hands on teaching - LA from the sound of it - and do easy stuff for the rest? Khan academy would be fine for 6 months. I actually use it full time for ds10, and have him pull from workbooks and such on occasion. Maybe just do a lot of documentaries for science and history? Ds has learned a ton from documentaries, and they sparked a lot of further exploration and led him to eventually choose to take some Coursera classes.

I'm sorry you are dealing with such a difficult situation. I hope the treatment is successful. :grouphug:

Thank you all for the good ideas. I think the idea of being gone for so long has just thrown me for a loop and put my inner planner into a panic.

Thank you all for reminding me that it is okay to do "good enough" school for a time.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

So it looks like I may not have to go away for treatment!

*cheers wildly and causes the dogs to look at her like she's lost it*

There is one more course of treatment we can try locally that was not an option for me a few months ago, but now is!

It will still be a month or so before we know if it is going to work well enough to take the option 5 hours away off the table....

But it looks/sounds very, very, very promising!

I hope it works!!!!!!!! :hurray:

But please do whatever is best for your long term health, even if it's the "away from home" option. Your kids need a healthy mom more than they need to keep up on their schoolwork.

:iagree:

Good luck with your treatment and everything else!

I hope it works!!!!!!!! :hurray:

But please do whatever is best for your long term health, even if it's the "away from home" option. Your kids need a healthy mom more than they need to keep up on their schoolwork.

Thank you. DH keeps reminding me of this, too!

That is wonderful news!  I just wanted to add that we were in a similar situation with our two youngest who were in high school at the time.  It was easier in some ways because they pretty much worked independently, but worrisome in that these were the years when grades really mattered.  We kept up with the bare minimum and relied on media (documentaries, DVD's, etc) for lots of subjects/lectures.  Your kids are young enough that doing a minimal amount for six months wouldn't really matter too much in the whole scheme of things.

Good luck and I hope the new treatment works perfectly!

UPDATE:

So it looks like I may not have to go away for treatment!

*cheers wildly and causes the dogs to look at her like she's lost it*

There is one more course of treatment we can try locally that was not an option for me a few months ago, but now is!

It will still be a month or so before we know if it is going to work well enough to take the option 5 hours away off the table....

But it looks/sounds very, very, very promising!

Hoping that this option is the best option for you for getting your health taken care of.   Best wishes and huge hugs.

During times of extreme stress or turmoil, the basics are enough.

Perhaps even now while you are at home, you can take it easy and have them read (the non-reader listen to audiobooks) and retell the story or draw / write a summary. Sounds like you will be busy going through treatment and recovering.

Teaching textbooks for Math are great. We had those years ago and it seems they are geared even more toward independent learning now than they were then. Depending on ages of your kiddos, check out Mindbenders - they are great entertainment with great educational value.

Agree with Khan Academy for supplementing or teaching concepts that need a "personal" approach instead of just a textbook.

Don't worry about being "behind." This is the beauty of homeschooling - flexibiity and the ability to catch up much faster if something needs to be covered still later.

Hope and pray your local treatment works wonders!

Keep an eye on the Virtual Homeschool Group. They offer free live online and at your own pace classes. The class list won't be available until later this month, so don't know how much will be available for elementary. We used them the last two years for some classes and have been very pleased. The most up to date info is usually on their Facebook page about upcoming classes, but the website is www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com. They use Saxon for math, Apologia for science, the rest is a mix of what volunteers offer to teach.

Good luck!

Guest submarines

I agree. Your children will be already under a huge amount of stress. Routine will be important to keep a sense of normalcy, but I wouldn't be worried about educational intensity or specific curricula. No one learns well when under stress, and I don't think it is worth the push--this could even be counterproductive. I'd put the biggest emphasis on their emotional well being and stress reduction.

I'm sorry to hear about your illness. I hope your hospital stay is short and the treatment is successful. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

So we have been homeschooling at half speed all year as I deal with some major health issues.

Now it looks like there is a possibility of me needing to turn over schooling to DH for several months while I receive treatment at a facility several hours away. (Well there are a couple of options but the closest is a few hours drive and I will not be able to drive back and forth. The other option is something like 6 hours away...so definitely not driving back and forth for that one!)

Stopping school is not optional because we have two SN children who are already (IMO) behind the curve in output abilities because of their LDs. We cannot afford to lose ground or momentum.

But......I cannot ask DH to take over a lot of teacher intensive curricular choices. I am going to insist he continue AAS and the AAR/HWOT hybrid that I've been using for our non-reader but need advice on some ways to streamline and make everything that I can independent and autopilot for him.

Part of it is the issue that once I leave I could be gone anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months. We have no way to know how long it will take me to respond to this treatment until we start it. I really need to plan like it will be the longer time.......I have NEVER tried to plan that far out in detail before.

HELP!!!

- signed one every tired, stressed out, and overwhelmed homeschooling momma.

I agree with you about the kids with special needs, having had two of my own, one pretty severe.

What are the ages of the kids with special needs? What are the special needs? (maybe you don't answer that online). I don't know the abbreviations you used, so don't even know what subjects it covers.

What I would focus on is keeping the 4 R's going: reading, writing, rithmetic, and remediation of any specific executive function problem, sensory issues, etc.

Would another homeschool mom take your kids for a subject? (I would offer compensation of some sort)

I could make better suggestions with more info. So sorry you are dealing with health stuff to that extent.

Also, please consider trying to find another homeschool mom who might be willing to help a bit if you have to leave. I know if you were in my area I would be happy to get together with your DH/kids for a couple of hours each week and help them plan the upcoming week in terms of tasks and resources.