Menu

Would you apply for a job with an organization that represents a different religion?

Ravin

There have been a couple of intern and job opportunities posted on the job board of my school that sound interesting, but that I haven't applied for. It's work I know I would find rewarding, but my concern is that the organization and/or client base wouldn't be comfortable with me.

The affirmative action thread got me to thinking...I'm making a lot of assumptions.

The organization's focus is working against discrimination. It is a Muslim organization--one with a very good reputation and that would look good on a resume. Religious and ethnic discrimination are something I could passionately get behind fighting against.

My concern is that it would be pointless to apply because a queer-looking non-Muslim person would possibly make some percentage of the clients uncomfortable. On the other hand, an advocate who doesn't "look like" the people being advocated for can at times be helpful, and when things aren't face-to-face, who care's who's doing the writing as long as it's persuasive? Obviously if they'd rather have a Muslim in the position, that's who they'll hire (assuming that's who applies--or if none do the position will remain vacant).

The question is, is it worth the effort of applying? I'm rapidly approaching the point where I need to find a job, any job, that pays me SOMETHING, and I'd rather it be a non-soul-sucking legal job (i.e. helping people).

What does the Hive think?

Apply but know that you will face discrimination yourself in the process. It may not be "soul sucking", but it can be hard to go to work each day and know that those who you are trying to help, most likely wouldn't put up the same fight for you. 

I can't speak for all Muslim orgs, but I do know some people who work for CAIR….and they definitely do not fit the typical Muslim organization profile.  They don't wear hijab, are converts, etc.  In the past few years, I've seen more and more of this which is good.  I think things are slowly changing, so I wouldn't be so sure that you wouldn't be accepted/wanted.  

Most Muslims in the US are used to working with non-Muslims and people of a wide variety of backgrounds.  I would apply. The fact that you want to help would go a long way with many. Worst thing that could happen is they'd say "No."

The org I work for has employed non-Muslims.  I have not noticed them being treated any differently.  We spent some time going over various Islamic phrases that they'll likely hear/read, but that was about it.

You need the job. They need someone to fill the job--you may or may not be the most qualified applicant, but no one will ever know if you don't apply.

If you support the goals and methods of the organization, and they don't have a stated religion requirement for their employees, then I'd be ok with it. If you do apply and get the job, I would expect some education about the Islamic faith, including terminology, and possibly a few well-intentioned conversion overtures. I'd be grateful for the education and politely but firmly nip the conversion overtures in the bud, if they occur, while also being careful not to extend my own conversion overtures. (The rule that comes to mind is the one I used when I lived in Egypt: if they ask, I answer; if I ask, I expect them to answer; if no one asks, we don't discuss conversion or why one faith is better or worse than the other--though I would expect that you'd need to ask more often at first, until you understand enough to make sense of what's going on around you in a predominantly Muslim workplace, and in answering, they may say things that you perceive as conversion attempts, though they may view it as simply answering your question.)

I got turned down for an office assistant job for which I was qualified because I wasn't a Born Again Christian.  I was a young adult, and my uncle was a partner at the company I was applying into; that's how I knew about the job, and also how they knew I wasn't born again.  I know that's why I was turned down because they told me so - "Your lifestyle doesn't line up with our values."

Apply but know that you will face discrimination yourself in the process. It may not be "soul sucking", but it can be hard to go to work each day and know that those who you are trying to help, most likely wouldn't put up the same fight for you. 

That hasn't been my experience/observation.  Most of the people I know IRL who are serious about reducing discrimination, especially if they have experienced it themselves as part of a particular group, are sensitive to discrimination towards other groups and behave accordingly.  

And, particularly regarding queer issues, you can't assume that any one person holds all of the "official" beliefs of the religion they practice.

(I realize those in the media and/or politicians may appear to be the exception in some cases, in terms of demanding "respect for me but not for thee", but when we hear their views they are often expressing opinions-for-money in some form (votes, clicks, readers, viewers), which is something altogether different.)

OP - Apply for the job already!!!

This past fall, as I was looking for a professional job, I threw resumes around like they were confetti. If it looked like it met ANY of my criteria, I sent a resume - I looked for jobs on line, in magazines, via people I knew, etc. I applied to magazines, stuff across the country and places that seemed very unlikely.  I also re-did my resume very creatively and made sure to put on there the vast amounts of experience I've gained via homeschooling and creating programs, blogging, event planning etc. even when I didn't generate money. 

I was working a semi-soul sucking job that was killing my knees and hip (literally, I would take tylenol, use a heating pad and still be in pain) and was eager to move along. 

William Shatner talks about saying, "Yes!" to opportunities and how much that has changed his life because it's led to so much more. 

I have my current, soul inspiring, decent paying, professional, work from home job because I know the field like the back of my hand via reading (52books/yr), and homeschooling.  I worked for a magazine p.t. doing grunt work, but got that job because I wrote curriculum reviews, and got that job because I blogged and started a blog because my friend Ana did and she's very cool. 

Yep, I'd submit a resume. Because you don't know what will lead to what.

Any job that piques your interest and you're qualified is worth applying for, IMO. You won't be able to justify or disprove your assumptions until you've gone through the interview process (or even later). You may be very pleasantly surprised. :)  It would be terrible if you missed out on the perfect job opportunity--and they missed out on a great employee--if you never went further than reading the ad and wondering about it.

Good luck!

Yep, I'd submit a resume. Because you don't know what will lead to what.

Yep.  A good general rule for job-hunting is not to get caught up in whether you *want* the job before you apply.  Even if you ultimately turn it down, you will gain more experience with tailoring your resume, interviewing, and so on, which will help you when you (hopefully) eventually apply and interview for your dream job.

I would not apply, because I wouldn't want to align myself with another religion. If I were you I wouldn't decide to not apply just for that reason. Meaning if you were comfortable working with a religious group, there would be no reason why you shouldn't apply. If you disagreed with the aim of the company, there would be a reason to not apply.

It depends on the nature of the job.  If it involved teaching aspects of a religion I didn't agree with or wasn't knowledgeable of, I would not.  But an administrative job, yeah.  Anyway, I say go interview for it and be prepared for, but do not expect, discrimination.  Worst case scenario is that it's a practice interview for a future job.

It really would depend on the particular organization. I've known people who've worked at organizations affiliated with a different religion without any problems. But I know someone else who left a managerial position at a nominally secular corporation because it was dominated by members of one particular religion including all the C-level executives. The person I know felt sidelined and like he had no future at the firm because of his "outsider" status.

I could not and would not.  I have such strong convictions in my own faith that I couldn't do it.  I CAN work very well in a multi-religious group where several religions are represented.  I have no issues with other religions or those who follow them, but I wouldn't want to be working for an organization that is only devoted to that religion and its perspectives.