Menu

Let's talk Crepes

Unicorn.

Favorite fillings? Looking for savory ideas, but sweet is always good, so...

Yesterday I played around w/ a gluten free crepe batter, and I added some dill mix seasonings to one of them... sooo yummy! Now I want filling ideas to go w/ it, and some ideas for something new. I was originally trying to come up w/ a tortilla alternative to make breakfast tacos for the dc, but now I just want crepes. Yum.

When I lived in Paris, one of my favorite treats was a crepe with a piece of ham and a sunny side up egg in it.  Soo good and simple.  These days, I use smoked turkey for the ham and it's just as good.

I also loved nutella and banana crepes….or jam and powdered sugar.

There used to be a restaurant chain called the Magic Pan that was solely crepes.  Here ae some supposed recipes http://www.pinterest.com/barbhauer/magic-pan-crepes/

I used to LOVE going to the crepe shops when I was stationed in Japan. Strawberries, bananas, and chocolate syrup with whip cream was my favorite. But I don't think you could duplicate that in the U.S. The whip cream in particular was not as sweet as it is here. But it also didn't have that homemade whip cream taste.

Lemon and powdered sugar (traditional in the UK on Shrove Tuesday).  

I like chicken in cream sauce in crepes.

L

This is what I'm craving..chicken in some sort of crème sauce..just not sure what kind of crème sauce. Do you have a favorite recipe?

This is what I'm craving..chicken in some sort of crème sauce..just not sure what kind of crème sauce. Do you have a favorite recipe?

Oh.... I'd probably saute some cubed chicken breast.  Lay it aside.  Saute some chopped onion and celery.  When it's soft, scatter some flour across it and mix in.  Cook for another minute.  Slowly stir in some combination of chicken stock and milk.  Add some dried herbs (probably just mixed herbs for this one) and pepper.  Add the chicken back in and stir until the chicken is done and the sauce has thickened.  Add salt if needed.  Wrap in the crepes....

L

I don't like crepes. People look at me like I have 3 heads when I say that. Apparently everyone on the planet loves them except me. :)

And yes, I have had them made properly. 

That's ok.  I don't like shrimp or any kind of seafood.  I get those same looks!  :D

When I lived in Paris, one of my favorite treats was a crepe with a piece of ham and a sunny side up egg in it.  Soo good and simple.  These days, I use smoked turkey for the ham and it's just as good.

I also loved nutella and banana crepes….or jam and powdered sugar.

There used to be a restaurant chain called the Magic Pan that was solely crepes.  Here ae some supposed recipes http://www.pinterest.com/barbhauer/magic-pan-crepes/

Apparently we used to have a crepery here, that I didn't know existed until it closed down.  You can still see their menu on Urban Spoon.  Oh my!  I wish I would have known about it, I would have gone.  It all sounded yummy!

I used to LOVE going to the crepe shops when I was stationed in Japan. Strawberries, bananas, and chocolate syrup with whip cream was my favorite. But I don't think you could duplicate that in the U.S. The whip cream in particular was not as sweet as it is here. But it also didn't have that homemade whip cream taste.

I love that kind of cream!  You can get it at a few restaurants and it is so good.  I don't like the extra sweet cream that you can make at home either... it's too sweet.  I wish we could get heavy cream w/ no sugar added.  

We're bad. We always do powdered sugar. I want to try other things but when I suggest it DH and dd look at me like I have three heads.

So don't suggest it, just do it.  They will love you for it, and then blame you for not having made them before!

Spinach crepes! Here's my recipe, but it makes lots of filling for my family of 6 (and we all love them which is rare to have something we all love) so you might want to halve or adjust the recipe.

Cook 3 - 10 oz packages frozen spinach. In separate pot, melt 6 Tbsp butter. Stir into the butter 6 Tbsp flour, 1.5 tsp salt, dash of pepper. Over medium heat, slowly add 3 cups half and half. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Add the cooked spinach and 12 oz of shredded Swiss cheese.

Spinach crepes! Here's my recipe, but it makes lots of filling for my family of 6 (and we all love them which is rare to have something we all love) so you might want to halve or adjust the recipe.

Cook 3 - 10 oz packages frozen spinach. In separate pot, melt 6 Tbsp butter. Stir into the butter 6 Tbsp flour, 1.5 tsp salt, dash of pepper. Over medium heat, slowly add 3 cups half and half. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Add the cooked spinach and 12 oz of shredded Swiss cheese.

Thank you, thank you, and thank you! We had this for supper tonight. I cut the spinach in half, and added cooked shredded chicken. My family is in heaven!

I've only ever had dessert crepes. Is the gluten free crepe recipe fussy? I've not had crepes in years because I am GF, but my hubby would make some for me. I like mine with any kind of tart berries and whipped cream (homemade from organic cream).

No fussier than regular crepes. The first batch I made was a bit thick, and I had to play with it a bit. The second batch I think I used 3 eggs, 2 cups milk, 3 Tbs butter, and 1 cup of gf flour blend (I used the Namaste Perfect Flour Blend). I refrigerated it for a couple of hours while I ran errands, and it came out perfect.

Mmmmm.  Crepes. 

I usually get either a Jeff (jambon-epinard-fromage,aka ham-spinach-cheese) or a Hawaiian (cheese, ham pineapple). 

For dessert, I like nutella, or else fruit with chocolate sauce.  There is a creperie in my home town that makes chocolate crepes with raspberry filling and a scoop of vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce on top.  Sooooo good. 

Mmmmmm.

Ooh, I have some of that flour. I might have to make a honey-do list. :-)

No fussier than regular crepes. The first batch I made was a bit thick, and I had to play with it a bit. The second batch I think I used 3 eggs, 2 cups milk, 3 Tbs butter, and 1 cup of gf flour blend (I used the Namaste Perfect Flour Blend). I refrigerated it for a couple of hours while I ran errands, and it came out perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

We love crepes and I recently bought a crepe maker from amazon. I was all excited to receive it, since, as I so often do, I did all th research and read all the reviews. I'm frustrated since it really is not very easy to use at all. Annoying. I need to spend more time figuring it out. We prefer sweet crepes over savory. 

I didn't even know they made crepe makers. I went and looked at them, and I wouldn't want one. We just use a 6 or 7 inch omelette pan. Pour the batter on one side, while tilting the pan, and roll the pan until batter coats the pan. Replace pan on stove. Wait 2 or 3 minutes, flip, wait a couple more minutes. Remove. Done.

I made gluten free crepes yesterday - with fresh strawberries!  I use 1 cup of corn starch and 1/4 cup of coconut flour

The only savory crepe I ever made was a chicken crepe, which was a huge hit - back in college.  Hmm, its not in the book I thought it was in?  I thought it had diced water chestnuts in it