Menu

No more music concerts? :(

candikane

I really want to homeschool, but I want to cry every time I think about not having any more music concerts to watch my kiddo in. What do y'all do for the extra curriculars? I've checked my YMCA and they offer a homeschool gym only :/ and that's the easy one to replace!

Music Extracurricular

- private lesson providers (instrument or voice) usually encourage participation in recitals several times a year

- some homeschool co-ops that offer music, drama and other performance-based classes hold an end-of-semester or end-of-year performance

- check local private/public elementary schools -- some allow homeschoolers to participate in music, art or other extracurriculars

- middle school/high school ages: many public/private schools allow participation in their band/orchestra

- join a community children's band, orchestra or choir; look into community folk music/dance groups, ballet, etc.

- children's community theater groups -- most put on musicals; Christian Youth Theater is one group...

- check out the offerings of your local Parks & Rec department

- participation in a church children's choir, worship team, bell ringing group, etc.

- many large churches have special Christmas musical performances and look for children to participate

Fine Arts/Writing:

- attend student matinee showings of theater productions, concerts, etc.

- field trips to art museum, glass-blowing studio, pottery studio, University or Community College arts studio...

- arts and crafts Saturdays at Joanna's / Michaels, Home Depot / Lowe's, or other business

- art from a private lesson provider

- homeschool co-op offering art classes

- Parks & Rec classes: arts and crafts, jewelry-making, print-making, etc.

- student writes articles for publishing in a local kid's newspaper

- student writes own blog

- participate in NaNoWriMo

Sports/Athletic/Outdoor

- club sports (AYSO, Bobbysoxers, Little League, Pop Warner, etc…)

- swim team

- NYS sports teams

- YMCA sports teams

- many public/private middle schools & high schools allow participation in their sports

- Parks & Rec classes

- after school bowling league

- weekly homeschool group PE day

- private classes/studios: martial arts, dance, fencing, horseback riding, gymnastics, cheerleading...

- Orienteering

- Geocaching or Letterboxing

- family and weekend hiking / running / biking / tennis / etc.

- at home: Wii physical activities or dance pad; aerobics or dance DVDs; scooter, jumprope, trampoline..

- weekend "pick up" games at the park or gym of basketball, ultimate frisbee, etc.

National Groups, with local branches

- 4-H (not just animals! -- archery, public speaking; rockets…)

- Scouting

- Awanas (Bible memorization)

- Math Olympiad group

National Forensics League (speech/debate)

- STOA (Christian speech & debate)
National Christian Forensics and Communication Association

Christian Communicators of America 

DECA (high school business-career oriented)
FIRST Robotics (high school robotic team competition)
National Science Bowl (middle school/high school knowledge competition)

Youth & Government (model legislation program)

TEEN Pact (government and the political process; Christian)

Junior State of America (civics and politics)
National Model United Nations or Model United Nations (mock U.N. session)
Teen CourtYouth CourtMock Trial (mock judicial)

- Future Farmers of America

Community Opportunities

- community historical recreation group

- Community Gardens

- weekend and after school library children's activities

- as a family, do volunteer work with an animal shelter, food bank, or other group you all want to support

- check your local "around town" newspaper sections and websites for children's events and activities

- after school clubs: chess, robotics, book club, etc.

- homeschool geography bee, spelling bee, etc.

- summer programs for kids, offered through your local University or Community College

- join an air soft and/or paintball group and go out on the weekends

- start a book club, Lego club, jewelry-making club, cooking club or other weekly "club" meeting at your house and invite your DC's friends

High School Military Cadet Groups

Civil Air Patrol 
U.S. Naval Sea Cadets
Junior ROTC
U.S. Army Junior ROTC 

Past Threads with lots of ideas:

Low income people and extracurriculars

Finding extra-curricular

What extracurricular activities for the high school years?

What kinds of extra activities for high schoolers?

DS is so, so lonely

Our school district is very flexible, so both of my kids have gone to the public school, just for band. This year my oldest is doing a few classes in addition to band. Besides the school, my dc are in a local youth orchestra. They don't like to sing, but they have friends who sing in two different private choral groups, a boys choir and a youth chorale.

After awhile, kids get too busy living a REAL life to need imitation PS activities. Try reading some unschooling books. I'm not saying to become an unschooler; I'm just saying that some of those children have REAL lives that are NOTHING like PS but are as rich or richer.

My kids are still young but in a couple years there is lots to do. There is a city wide youth choir and orchestra, and children's theatre open to any kids through audition. A homeschool co op has a drama club and soccer team for high schoolers, I think they have other things as well. A nearby private college offers weekly music class specifically for homeschoolers. My minister has organized a basketball team for his son, they play other self organized teams.

I'm taking DS10 to auditions for the local production of Oliver! this evening. He's been homeschooled his whole life and he has been in four recitals, one play, and one show. He was in dance for two years (ballet and tap). Next year we're discussing band (not sure yet).

For extracurrics my kids have done lots over the years.  Music lessons, art lessons, dance, cheerleading, martial arts, sports, cadets, missoula children's theatre etc.

Music lessons had recitals, missoula results in a play to watch at the end of the week, dance and cheerleading had competitions to watch, as did most sports.  Martial arts has showcases where they show off their skills for parents. 

Plan for next year, cadets again for the teens, archery, missoula and gymnastics for dd14 along with possibly starting music lesson again or dance(all comes down to $); for ds10 martial arts, missoula, gymnastics (depends on cost) and archery.  for dd6 brownies, archery, martial arts, music and/or dance (depends on $).  Of course that is subject to change but really I have not missed out on chances to see them on stage, singing, playing an instrument, acting, dancing etc.  Homeschooling never stopped any of that.

My kids always had tons of concerts.  They all played an instrument, so that's at least a few recitals a year.  My violinist was also in the local youth orchestra, that was another two concerts.  Their Sat. School had two concerts a year (although they're a bit awful...), and for 7 years we had an intergenerational homeschool chorus, another two a year. Over the years they were also in a few local musical productions that added up to yet more.  One dd danced ballet for years, that was a recital and she was also in the Nutcracker and another couple ballets put on by the company (in non-company roles).

My older two went to high school last year.  There's been way less concerts since they've been in school.

My kids have recitals twice a year for piano, choir and instrumental groups at church which perform many times each year, including a musical in the spring and dd is in an art/drama tutorial which has two shows a year also.

There are loads of art and music camps here in the summer and classes all year long through local museums, orchestras, choirs, private schools, churches and homeschool organizations. Some just for homeschoolers and some for anyone. None are free, but many are reasonably priced.

Sports, scouts and service opportunities abound in most places and there are more choices for homeschoolers because we often have schedule flexibility that others don't. All these depend on your location, of course. Very rural or very urban or international gives a whole different spin, different struggles and opportunities.

We have done homeschool P.E. at the Y and it was good, though we wouldn't do it every year.

Our school district is very flexible, so both of my kids have gone to the public school, just for band. This year my oldest is doing a few classes in addition to band. Besides the school, my dc are in a local youth orchestra. They don't like to sing, but they have friends who sing in two different private choral groups, a boys choir and a youth chorale.

Agree with this - I'm not sure whether your children are in choir or band or what, but if you and they enjoy the group, could you ask whether they could continue with the activity even though they're no longer going to the school?  

There are some theatrical companies for children near me, and a homeschool voice/music lessons group. Also if you have private music lessons, they often have concerts for their students. There's nothing "schooly" or unreal to me about musical or artistic performances. There are plenty of adults who are involved in such activities.

The girls sing in a choir at a local arts center and have for years!  We get 2 concerts per year.  The opportunities are out there!  They also take dance lessons (Sylvia) and Rebecca is on a gymnastics team and at the gym 12.5 hours a week.  Over the years, they've done a variety of different things.

Around here I know of opportunities for homschoolers to join choirs and orchestras.  My kids both do drama.

My toddler loves the "Shakin' Bacon" in your signature, SU. Just wanted to tell you.

OP, the hard part for me at first in pulling my kids out of PS to HS was finding activities for them to get involved them in. Now that we've been at it for a few years, I find that we don't miss the PS activities at all. They do scouts, Lego Robotics, swim lessons, and other things. You'll find activities. :)

My city has a local youth orchestra that isn't connected to any schools. We also have a couple homeschool organizations that have bands, choirs, etc. There is also a community band, though I'd want to make sure my kid was fairly proficient in his instrument before joining that.

Have you looked at local homeschool support groups? Ask other homeschoolers in your area, and they might know of something.

Homeschool co-ops often have talent shows or other performances.  DD has done a dance she created and played her guitar at those.  My boys read a poem they wrote together at the talent show this year.  As others have mentioned, private music lessons usually have recitals.  DD has been invited to participate in more than one children's choir, but we haven't been able to make it work with our schedule.  She does guitar and a recreational gymnastics class.  The boys do tae kwon do twice per week.  Between those extra curriculars, co-op and church activities it keeps us pretty busy.  We really like the opportunities the co-op provides for some of those group activities like the talent show, Christmas party, valentines party, group field trips, "expert day" (kind of like a science fair, but projects on any topic), a "geography challenge", book reports, etc. 

My younger boy does the drama production once a year during school holidays. Costs me $100 but includes daycare for four hours a day for two weeks.

My kids are both a part of a string quartet which has performances two times a year

And now their violin teacher is putting all term recitals at retirement villages, making them 'real' performances.

Ruth in NZ

I think you will find that as you get more involved in the homeschooling community, you will learn about more opportunities. You don't necessarily have to join a co-op to find them. Sometimes it's just being at a park or library in the afternoon and running into other homeschool parents will help you learn about what's available in your area.

Similarly, I told my husband that the one thing I'd miss not sending kids to school are the silly "gift" crafts they'd bring home - for Mother's Day or Christmas or whatever. We have all of mine as a child, and they're very sweet. We do crafts at home so we still have macaroni frames, but there's no element of surprise. 

I must say I am baffled. Our county's orchestra is for everyone- public, private, homeschooled. The child auditions. There are 2-3 performances/ school year. My child doesn't have a recital with his private violin teacher, but his mandolin teacher has at least one recital/ year. My local public elementary school doesn't offer music lessons, have a band, or an orchestra.

Mandy

My DD has a month of performances and competitions coming up-dance, piano, cheer team and so on. If anything, I suspect she has MORE because she's homeschooled simply because we have more time. Not to mention that she's part of a panel at a herpetology conference in August-an experience that she wouldn't have had if she had gone to a traditional school because few traditional schools allow their students a day a week to go do field work in biology in 3rd/4th grade.

DD sings with the New Jersey Youth Chorus, and has sung at the Super Bowl, Alice Tully Hall and Carnegie Hall in just the past 4 years - she has more performance opportunities now than she would ever have in school.

Ask the music teachers in your local school. They'd know of the non-school-based ensembles around because some of their students probably play in those too.

I can't afford private music, but thanks for all these ideas to look into!! It also appears that here in WI we can attend up to 2 classes in public school :)

She currently does Jazz and Ballet, but may switch for gymnastics. In also looking into drama! We're very active, outdoorsy people so I'm not worried about the physical ed. at all.

I can't afford private music, but thanks for all these ideas to look into!! It also appears that here in WI we can attend up to 2 classes in public school :)

Also, do check out the thread on "Low income people and extracurriculars", linked in my post above. Lots of creative ideas to consider for:

- bartering (trade your labor for private music lessons)

- applying for scholarships

- asking a relative/grandparent if they would be able/interested in sponsoring the child's music lessons

- fundraising activities

- group lessons (lower lesson cost)

- homeschool co-op (group/lower cost lessons)

- and ideas for how pre-teens and teens can earn money in the neighborhood to pay for their own music or other lessons.

Welcome to the first benefit of homeschooling -- learning how to think outside the box! ;)

My kids do Swimming at the Y, Awana, a small co-op, Sunday school, and other seasonal sports(soccer, basketball etc.) They also play at the Y in the play gym a few days a week. They have been involved in singing opportunities at church like singing carols for Christmas etc. We have a lot of other extra curricular activities available around here as well. It is just a matter of time and finances. Locally we have a youth orchestra, a young birders club, Lego clubs, scouts, co-ops, sports, dancing, etc. For singing and performing opportunities I would look into youth orchestras, choirs, and local community theaters. Also if you go to church there may be opportunities there especially at Christmas and Easter.

My dd was just in a recital for violin and voice, and she's in a homeschool orchestra that performs twice in the summer. Kids here can also participate in band/orchestra, but we haven't done that. She sings at church as well. My son plays electric guitar, and I get to hear him twice a month at their youth group. There are lots of opportunities out there if you look for them. 

My children are in a community choir. It meets at a church and is technically a ministry of the church but is open to all children regardless of church affiliation. They do two concerts a a year, Christmas and spring. There is no charge. In addition to the choir, we also perform monthly at a nursing home with another homeschooling family. Check with your local homeschool groups, you never know what is out there!

• 2 weeks later...

Same here.  My daughter didn't return to middle school this year after being in public school thru 7th grade.  The middle school was very supportive and allowed her to continue in the band program, which meets outside of school hours.  She goes to the school for any in-school performances like pep rallies and she goes on all of the band field trips.  Next year she will go to the high school part time, mostly to participate in band.  Band is a credited class during the school day and they were very receptive to her attending for as many or few classes as she wanted.  I was kind of surprised when they so easily agreed.  When I talked to her counselor he was not very hopeful ("I've never heard of anyone doing that in my 20+ years here…") so we were very happy that the assistant principal said it would be no problem.  Can't hurt to ask!

If that's not an option and your child is of high school age, we have several community bands that accept high school or older musicians.  The local community college concert band also takes high school aged kids.  My daughter was going to be in one or the other of those if the high school wasn't receptive to part time attendance.