Menu

i broke my knee cap :(

elfgivas

i was at the local theater prior to the girls' music performance, and had an encounter with a staircase with metal capped stairs.

sigh.... i went to urgent care because one of the gashes was deep enough i thought it needed some help.

i need some ideas for crutches.  i broke my right kneecap, and it is my right elbow that won't take any weight.

ideas?  

tia,

ann

sympathies, I'm still healing from a torn MCL seven weeks later (just had an MRI. waiting for results).  do you have a *real* pharmacy that rents equipment?  (as opposed to a grocery/dept store or strip mall.)

did they only do x-rays?  are you sure it's "only" the kneecap and no ligaments/meniscus?  (which don't show up on an x-ray)

be sure and do the "rice".  rest, ice, compression, and elevation.

sympathies, I'm still healing from a torn MCL seven weeks later (just had an MRI. waiting for results).  do you have a *real* pharmacy that rents equipment?  (as opposed to a grocery/dept store or strip mall.)

did they only do x-rays?  are you sure it's "only" the kneecap and no ligaments/meniscus?  (which don't show up on an x-ray)

be sure and do the "rice".  rest, ice, compression, and elevation.

they did do xrays.  it doesn't feel as if its anything else, but i will see ortho next week and do an mri if it appears necessary.  

i am doing the rest, compression and elevation, but the ice doesn't seem to make my leg at all cool thru the immobilizer..... ??

i emailed my doctor to see what she thinks; the bandage has bled thru in about 16 hours....

its an adventure.

how did you do your knee in?

and we have an hmo that is willing to get me what i need once i know what i want.  right now, i have standard crutches, and elbow crutches coming.

ann

how did you do your knee in?

and we have an hmo that is willing to get me what i need once i know what i want.  right now, i have standard crutches, and elbow crutches coming.

ann

the *one* night we had (very wet/icy) ONE inch of snow (beginning of feb) - I went out and played snowballs with my son.  I was walking back down our hill and I had stopped, and my right leg started sliding in a tire track while my left in untouched snow stayed put.  not wanting to land on my tail, I twisted and hit the inside of my right knee.  in hindsight, I probably should have gone to the er.  (I figured they'd just say nothing is broken, so rest and ice, and why should I pay them for that? even though the last time I went to the ER - I felt like an idiot for going in before being checked out. I had pneumonia and was admitted.  I have an easier time telling other people to go.)

the first 12 hours I just wanted to cry from pain.  If anyone touched my foot, the pain in my knee was unbearable.  I slept in a recliner the first two nights.  It was nice because I was totally waited on hand and foot. I could have used crutches the first week. I eventually got a ligament brace - I took it off while icing.   only recently have I stopped using pillows under my leg while I sleep.  It's still typical to be awoken by pain in my knee.

at four weeks, the swelling was down enough for the dr (sports medicine) to physicaly feel the seperation in the mcl.  he then injected dextrose into the ligament (moving the needle around to distribute the dextrose.) the idea being it's not supposed to be there so the body will go do something about it - healing the ligament in the process. it made everything go backwards for at least a week.

I just want it to get well enough to get back to my yoga. . . . . .

eta: I didn't have any open wounds - everything was inside.

its been 24 hours and i'm already stir crazy.  they say 4-6 weeks before i can put any weight on it at all.... aaahhhhhhhhhh....

Sounds like time to find a new sit down style hobby.  Hopefully you will heal faster than they predict.