Menu

My bride-zilla cake is done!

Jann in TX

I learned butter cream decorated cakes years ago...  I started fonant cakes about 5 years ago-- I watched youtube videos and ordered an inexpensvie DVD course. 

I use MMF (marshmallow fondant) because the pre-made stuff tastes worse than playdough!  MMF is yummy!  My secret is adding 2 flavors-- vanilla and a few drops of another extract like almond or raspberry... the second flavor is subtle but really balances out the sweetness of the fondant.  I also use a true buttercream (butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk or water) under the fondant.

For the gumpaste flowers I purchased the Nicholas Lodge 'Ultimate Sugar Rose' course from Craftsy.com  I had watched just about every youtube about making roses--but his course is when it really 'clicked'-- before the course I could make 2-3 inch fondant or modeling chocolate roses but never had luck with anything bigger.  For these roses I used the JEM cutter (110mm) and added an additional row of 7 individual pettals (cut apart from same cutter). 

I watched lots of videos on how to put the smaller flowers on wire.

There are several brands of cake lace mix and moulds- I used one actually called 'Cake Lace' and got the mold off of ebay-- mix off of amazon.  For this cake it took one of the small jars of mix (just over $20 shipped) .  The mould was around $75 shipped.  I watched the online videos then tried it... it was easy--but I was so nervous because of the cost!  I did have a few sheets that tore--but looking back those were not quite dry enough... the cake lace has a slight marshmallowy taste-- it blends into the fondant (so it was easy to cut right through at the reception).  I can't wait to get other lace moulds-- so many design opportunities!

Bride was thrilled-- groom was too.  Groom actually helped me stack and assemble the cake!

I have no plans of doing this professionally-- but I do take on cakes for friends-- any proceeds go to a charity (like the Lulwanda Chilren's Home in Uganda that I worked at last summer-- I sold about $1500 worth of cakes and cupcakes to purchase school supplies with).

Next week I'm making a cake for a friend's 50th birthay.  A simple 12x18 chocolate fudge covered in fondant.  The top will be decorated with a baseball field.  I have a small lego figure with his favorite team's uniform on.  I will dig a 'grave' at home plate and a grim reaper figurine will be the ump.  I'll put some miniture trinkets around the other bases (like a rocking chair and cane at 3rd base).  

BTW I never make cakes for family deserts-- we are icecream people!

Are you kidding me?  That is...wow.

Marshmallow fondant with buttercream under it?  You are a woman after my own heart.  

My mom used to have a small cake business, and did tons of wedding cakes.  It is soooo time consuming.  For a while she had me whipping up roses and other flowers for her when she had a big cake to make.  I probably could't do it now, but I was quite proficient when I was in high school.