Menu

Hybrid cars

DawnM

Do you have one?  

Do you like it?

We are considering a Camry hybrid. 

We have driven a few.....Honda Accord hybrid, Prius, and the Camry.    He even went to test drive the Chevy (is it the cruze or the volt?)

Curious who has a hybrid here and what you think.

Dawn

We got a used Prius (2006) from MIL. She was buying a new Prius. 

Me: I'm not a fan of driving or car. The Prius accomplishes all I want it to do. I am more likely to notice a negative about a car than a positive simply because I am not into driving. I have not noticed any negatives. 

Here's thing about MIL. MIL loves driving. She got her license as a teen. She is almost 80. She has reduced her driving a bit in recent years. As recently as 10 years ago she thought nothing of taking off for a 12 hour drive to visit someone for a day and then driving back. She was reluctant to get the Prius. She was sure she would not like a hybrid. Her daughter talked her into test driving it. She got it and loved it. And loved it so much she decided to the get the new more compact model. Knowing how much MIL loves cars and loves to drive I think it says a lot about the Prius that she decided to replace it with the new model of the same car. From what dh has said, she has never done that. 

We have 2013 Camry Hybrid.  We do love that car!  It is our small car since we own a Sienna minivan.  If only five of us are going someplace, we hop in it if at all possible.  The gas mileage is great (45 MPG in the summer and 40 MPG this super cold winter)  We use it for mostly highway driving; my husband's commute is an hour and 15 one way three days a week and I take it almost an 8 hour round trip once a week for my daughter's allergy treatment.  It is zippy, although not as zippy as a regular gas car, but I've not ever felt in danger from it (getting on the highway from an exit ramp).  It handles pretty well in the snow, but I miss having multiple low gears to cycle through when driving in the snow and ice.

Yesterday however, the check engine light came on.  I hope nothing's wrong...

ETA: The dealership says there is gas in the charcoal filter in the fuel system.  They said that I had over pumped gas and it's in there.  I NEVER overpump gas. I'm not sure they are playing my husband but I am not near there nor am I getting involved since he wanted it fixed ASAP ($800!)

ETA #2:  The light is on again.  Now my husband isn't happy...

I have a 2005 Prius. I love it. I still get almost 50mpg and the car has had no major problems at all, even with over 100K miles on it. Ill replace it with another Prius when the time comes. We also plan to swap my husband's sedan for a used 4x4 Highlander Hybrid for our "snow car". The Prius does awesome in the snow with chains on, but does get quite squirrel-ey in just a little bit of snow/ice before the chains officially have to be on.

Recently, our 2005 Prius needed a new battery. Everyone suggests this is super complicated, however, dh ordered it online and spent a few hours figuring out how to install. he said something about the location being awkward. Yes, a deal could have done it faster, but it was not impossible to do without special training. If we have it for long enough that it needs to be done again, dh should be able to do it faster.

We have a Ford Fusion. I've loved it so far. It's comfortable enough that we can make 3-4 day drives to relatives and fuel efficient enough for that to be a feasible option more regularly. We downsized from a tyota Sienna mini-van so it took a little bit of time for everyone to get used to the lack of space that we were used to, but I don't regret the switch at all.

Do you have one?  

Do you like it?

We are considering a Camry hybrid. 

We have driven a few.....Honda Accord hybrid, Prius, and the Camry.    He even went to test drive the Chevy (is it the cruze or the volt?)

Curious who has a hybrid here and what you think.

Dawn

Yes, and yes. We have an '07 Prius with over 350k miles on it. Dh just got a new company car, so the Prius is officially retired. Not sure what we're going to do with it yet.

It has not been great for winter driving, but it's done its job and then some!

Wow.  That is a LOT of miles!

Yes, and yes. We have an '07 Prius with over 350k miles on it. Dh just got a new company car, so the Prius is officially retired. Not sure what we're going to do with it yet.

It has not been great for winter driving, but it's done its job and then some!

That isn't good.

Dh takes the train to work for 13 miles of his 25 mile commute.  He was trying to tell me he needs a luxury car to impress clients!  :glare:   Um, you need a luxury car to park at the train stop?????   :lol:

Dawn

Yup. Recent x-rays show dh has the back of a long-haul trucker! :glare:

We have a 2013 Avalon. It is dh's...I think he was too old to change car types. He has great difficulty with the push button start. It starts fine, but he can't seem to get it to turn off. We have many times gone back out to the car and it be locked and running. It has turned off every time I have driven it. It brakes very differently from a regular car. I get used to it quickly, but dh doesn't seem to have been able to make the adjustment and he's been driving it for over 6 months. It is great to be able to drive a luxury sedan and be in comfort while getting 40mpg in town. 

I test drove several Priuses while looking for dd a car. They make a high pitched whine that drove her crazy. I could hear it too. No sales person was ever able to hear it/would admit to hearing it. Further research shows that it is there. IT is a known problem. It's a super high electrical whine. It gave dd a bad headache. The Toyota dealership acknowledged it as a knwn issue when we were purchasing/looking at dh's car. It is not an issue in all hybrids. (They may have even eliminated it in the Prius in the last couple of years.) Dh's car does not whine. 

Huh.

We test drove a Prius about 3 years ago.  I don't remember a hum but I do remember it wasn't that comfortable.    I still liked it but DH said no.  However, after driving the Camry I do like that one better.  We have not tested the Honda yet.

I would love an Avalon, but it is out of our budget right now.

We have a 2013 Avalon. It is dh's...I think he was too old to change car types. He has great difficulty with the push button start. It starts fine, but he can't seem to get it to turn off. We have many times gone back out to the car and it be locked and running. It has turned off every time I have driven it. It brakes very differently from a regular car. I get used to it quickly, but dh doesn't seem to have been able to make the adjustment and he's been driving it for over 6 months. It is great to be able to drive a luxury sedan and be in comfort while getting 40mpg in town. 

I test drove several Priuses while looking for dd a car. They make a high pitched whine that drove her crazy. I could hear it too. No sales person was ever able to hear it/would admit to hearing it. Further research shows that it is there. IT is a known problem. It's a super high electrical whine. It gave dd a bad headache. The Toyota dealership acknowledged it as a knwn issue when we were purchasing/looking at dh's car. It is not an issue in all hybrids. (They may have even eliminated it in the Prius in the last couple of years.) Dh's car does not whine. 

Huh.

We test drove a Prius about 3 years ago.  I don't remember a hum but I do remember it wasn't that comfortable.    I still liked it but DH said no.  However, after driving the Camry I do like that one better.  We have not tested the Honda yet.

I would love an Avalon, but it is out of our budget right now.

It is in the range that drives off rodents. Or, that pitch they use in areas where they are trying to run teenagers off... Most people probably would never notice it! Camrys are extremely comfy also, but the seat is too small for dh. His shoulders are too wide. It is a great fit for me. I think it sits nicer actually (it just fits my size better!) I may look at one for myself when this van of mine dies. One thing to keep in mind is that you lose a LOT of trunk space with the hybrid cars. It is quite a huge different when you start packing!

Dh has some lower back issues. Avalon was the only vehicle we found that didn't hurt his back on long drives. (Actually, the Ford Taurus was good too. But, I have issues with our dealership.) We require the dealerships to allow us to have the cars to test drive for at least two hours drive time. Usually, they give them to us overnight. 

I wish ours would do that here.  My aunt always got dealerships to give her a car for a weekend to test drive around.  

I haven't ever heard of that here though.

Dawn

It is in the range that drives off rodents. Or, that pitch they use in areas where they are trying to run teenagers off... Most people probably would never notice it! Camrys are extremely comfy also. I may look at one for myself when this van of mine dies. One thing to keep in mind is that you lose a LOT of trunk space with the hybrid cars. It is quite a huge different when you start packing!

Dh has some lower back issues. Avalon was the only vehicle we found that didn't hurt his back on long drives. (Actually, the Ford Taurus was good too. But, I have issues with our dealership.) We require the dealerships to allow us to have the cars to test drive for at least two hours drive time. Usually, they give them to us overnight. 

I wish ours would do that here.  My aunt always got dealerships to give her a car for a weekend to test drive around.  

I haven't ever heard of that here though.

Dawn

Ask, the worst they can do is say no. Most people just never consider it as an option. In our case, dh really doesn't have the time (and hates) to look at cars. I do the shopping and bring them to him to try out. Normally, that will mean keeping it overnight and going to bigtown (hour away) for dinner. I do warn them that we will be taking it that far. They have never cared. When I explain that dh has to make that drive for work regularly, and that distance in the seat is an issue with their back I am usually applauded for taking that into consideration.

I have a 2010 Prius that we bought new, now has 102K miles on it.  I didn't care for the way it looked, but I have always LOVED our Toyotas, and I was very happy to not spend money on gas.  By way of reference, I had been driving a Honda Odyssey for 7 years, and before that, I'd owned both a Camry and a Corolla, and dh had a Highlander.

I love my Prius.

It took several months to average out my miles. Within a year, I was averaging 55-58 mpg without fail.  100,000 miles divided by 50 mpg  = 2000 gallons of gas I've put in my car.  If I'd bought something else, I'd get half the mileage, and I would have bought another 2000 gallons of gas over the last five years.  That really adds up--even at a very generous $3 per gallon of gas, I've saved $6,000 in gas.

My kids prefer the back seat of the Prius to my dh's Mercedes C230 4 door sedan.  I have more room, and the seats are more comfortable. My kids are grown, 6 ft., 200+ lb. son and a 5'7" skinny dd.  

We've taken it on many family vacations, including a week long trip to the beach and the four of us dropping my dd off at college for the first time--the trunk is that big.

It has plenty of zip, and I can easily pass up semis on onramps, etc.  I do a good deal of highway driving but plenty of local driving too.

It's the only car I've been able to parallel park.

It's a Toyota.  I've never needed any work done on it, other than routine maintenance.  Oh, and you only need oil changes something like every 8K miles.  (I don't know the exact number, only that the recommendation increased sometime after I bought my car..) Oil changes are more expensive, but you still save time and money because you need them far less often.

The only negative is that people assume I'm a tree hugging liberal, which couldn't be further from the truth.  (Nothing against tree hugging liberals, lol.)

I'd consider a hybrid Highlander, just because of the larger size, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to trade my gas mileage.  I really do love my Toyota!

We have a Ford Fusion Energi  (the plug in hybrid).  We've only had it for a month.  I LOVE it.  It's such a nice ride.  I've cut $150-$200 out of our gas budget.  The size of the trunk is taking a little getting used to.  The trunk is better in the non-plug in version.  

I feel like the only one of my friend's who doesn't have a hybrid. We were going to buy one but ended up with a Mazda 5 (long and boring story of a dishonest car salesman) anyway.... my friends all love their cars. I know people with the different Prius, hybrid Camry, the Honda Prius knockoff, the hybrid Escape, Isn't there a hybrid Toyota minivan? . I can't even keep track at this point. I feel like everyone has one at this point.

It's a car. The hybrid thing doesn't seem to matter much in how it functions. Well, except for that whole not needing much gas, lol. But in the day to day they all say they don't find it to be any different. They all like them very much and I don't know anyone who hasn't bought another one once they had one. But, I am just one person.

Whatever you choose, don't forget to factor in the cost of a replacement battery. I don't know what they cost for other cars, but a battery for the hybrid Porsche Cayenne S costs around $8,000.

Hybrid cars are nice in theory, but they aren't always a money-saver, despite getting great gas mileage, because you usually pay a premium price for the car and if you keep it for a long time, the replacement batteries are pricey. Some of them also cost more for schedule maintenance, so that's another thing to consider before you make a purchase.

Whatever you choose, don't forget to factor in the cost of a replacement battery. I don't know what they cost for other cars, but a battery for the hybrid Porsche Cayenne S costs around $8,000.

Hybrid cars are nice in theory, but they aren't always a money-saver, despite getting great gas mileage, because you usually pay a premium price for the car and if you keep it for a long time, the replacement batteries are pricey. Some of them also cost more for schedule maintenance, so that's another thing to consider before you make a purchase.

But the batteries aren't out there dying.  It's not common at all. It's difficult to find current info online, but here's a (somewhat dated) report from Consumer Reports that gives a price of ~$2500 for replacement, and that price continues to decline slightly.  The article also states that most do not replace with a new battery but instead get a used one for about 1/5 of that cost.

Meanwhile, I've saved at least $6000 in gas--so far--and I have no reason to think my battery won't last another 100K miles.

I also want to comment on the "premium price." While the dealer was not willing to negotiate sticker price, I still paid just $21,000 for my new car five years ago, which is a pretty decent price!

The only thing I wish I had is bluetooth.

ETA: link referenced above

DH is an accountant.  He has already factors in all of that for each car we are looking into possibly getting.  

A Porsche is not on our radar!  :laugh:

However, money aside, we are also looking to be a little greener.

I think you may be mixing up the tradition car battery with a hybrid battery.   The hybrid battery can best described as being similar to the transmission.  Yes, getting a new transmission/hybrid battery is expensive. I think 3K for a Prius and some states offer rebates on them.  How often have you had to replace your transmission?   I think I remember reading that a hybrid batteries are generally lasting up to 200K or more - isn't that about the same as a traditional transmission?  Do you consider the price of a replacement transition when buying a traditional car?

Anyway, I hear the battery issue all the time - usually from non-hybrid owners who don't understand that it's different than a traditional battery (which the hybrid also has  - in the usual place).  The hybrid battery is in the back of the car - not anywhere near the engine.    Okay  - just trying to clear that up.

I've put nearly 100K on my hybrid and it's still going strong.  Most of the cars have their own sites.  I found a wealth of information at priuschat.com when I was looking to buy mine and still go there from time to time to get information.   great place to figure stuff out. 

The batteries for the Prius have a 10 year warranty, or they did the last time I heard anyone mention it. If they fail in that time Toyota will replace. My friend did the research and the number of people who needed to use the warranty was publicly available and it was very, very small number. I don't remember because it was her car and not mine, lol. I don't know what the warranty policy is for other makers.

Come to think of it, I've never known anyone to have to replace their battery. I am sure it happens but I've never heard about it.

And, yes, a Toyota is not a Porsche, lol. If you are in the position to buy a Porche then I don't think you are worrying much about upkeep costs of your car. And I think that the concern over higher priced maintenance was a legitimate one 15 years ago, but no longer. Hybrids just aren't that big a deal any longer.

I think you may be mixing up the tradition car battery with a hybrid battery. The hybrid battery can best described as being similar to the transmission. Yes, getting a new transmission/hybrid battery is expensive. I think 3K for a Prius and some states offer rebates on them. How often have you had to replace your transmission? I think I remember reading that a hybrid batteries are generally lasting up to 200K or more - isn't that about the same as a traditional transmission? Do you consider the price of a replacement transition when buying a traditional car?

Anyway, I hear the battery issue all the time - usually from non-hybrid owners who don't understand that it's different than a traditional battery (which the hybrid also has - in the usual place). The hybrid battery is in the back of the car - not anywhere near the engine. Okay - just trying to clear that up.

I've put nearly 100K on my hybrid and it's still going strong. Most of the cars have their own sites. I found a wealth of information at priuschat.com when I was looking to buy mine and still go there from time to time to get information. great place to figure stuff out.

Our Porsche dealer told us we would need to replace the battery every 7 years or 70,000 miles. We don't keep our cars that long, so it didn't matter to us, but I know that many people keep their cars for much longer than we do, so that's why I mentioned it.

It sounds like other manufacturers' batteries have a longer life than the Porsche batteries, but if you keep a car long enough, eventually the battery will have to be replaced, and many people don't realize that they are substantially more expensive than a regular battery.

And, yes, a Toyota is not a Porsche, lol. If you are in the position to buy a Porche then I don't think you are worrying much about upkeep costs of your car. And I think that the concern over higher priced maintenance was a legitimate one 15 years ago, but no longer. Hybrids just aren't that big a deal any longer.

Actually, our Porsche salesman told us that almost every customer who looks at the hybrid Cayenne asks about the additional costs of ownership. He told us about it before we asked because we have been his customers for years and he knew we'd never owned a hybrid.

I should point out, though, that just because a person can afford to pay more for something, doesn't mean that he or she is necessarily going to be willing to do it without good reason.

:lol:

We have a friend who just got some sort of BMW SUV.  They paid over $2,000 to replace ONE shock to car.

I will stick with mid-range cars.

Our Porsche dealer told us we would need to replace the battery every 7 years or 70,000 miles. We don't keep our cars that long, so it didn't matter to us, but I know that many people keep their cars for much longer than we do, so that's why I mentioned it.

It sounds like other manufacturers' batteries have a longer life than the Porsche batteries, but if you keep a car long enough, eventually the battery will have to be replaced, and many people don't realize that they are substantially more expensive than a regular battery.

like I said, that is because it isn't a regular battery and it's not the same. You're comparing apples with oranges.  Eventually, transmissions have to be replaced and they are substantially more money as well.  It's the heart of the car. 

like I said, that is because it isn't a regular battery and it's not the same. You're comparing apples with oranges. Eventually, transmissions have to be replaced and they are substantially more money as well. It's the heart of the car.

Most transmissions don't have to be replaced within 70,000 miles, though. :)

I'm not arguing with you -- I know that the hybrid batteries are different from those in conventional vehicles. The thing is, not everyone is aware of that, nor are they aware of the substantial replacement cost. Unless they're familiar with hybrids, I would guess that most people would think a battery is a battery, and not assume a potential $8,000 replacement cost. When I first looked at the Cayenne, I figured the battery was going to be more expensive than a regular one, but I definitely wasn't thinking it would be several thousand dollars more expensive -- and the scheduled maintenance on the Cayenne hybrid is costlier than the maintenance on a regular Cayenne, as well. They don't have to go in for maintenance as often, but the overall cost is still pricier for the hybrid. That's the only reason I mentioned it here.

Again, I'm not at all familiar with Toyotas or Hondas; I'm only familiar with the Porsche hybrids. It sounds like the batteries are both longer-lasting and less expensive in the Honda and Toyota vehicles.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm discouraging Dawn (or anyone else) from buying a hybrid vehicle -- that wasn't my intent at all. All I was suggesting is that she do her research so she knows exactly what she's getting into -- and it sounds like she has already done exactly that. :)

My husband has a 2005 Civic Hybrid and LOVES his car.  It has about 93,000 miles on it, but would have more if he didn't deploy as much as he had since getting it.  Never had any trouble with the hybrid battery.  Still has the original brakes and is going strong.  I don't mind driving it, but it's not my thing.  I drive a gas sucking hog known as an '07 Expedition.  

My husband has a 2005 Civic Hybrid and LOVES his car. It has about 93,000 miles on it, but would have more if he didn't deploy as much as he had since getting it. Never had any trouble with the hybrid battery. Still has the original brakes and is going strong. I don't mind driving it, but it's not my thing. I drive a gas sucking hog known as an '07 Expedition.

:) We make up for any gas cost savings on the C-max hybrid with our second vehicle being on '05 Expedition.

I like and drive both. The C-max only has 8,000 miles on it, so I can't speak to longevity of the vehicle yet, but all my Fords have been good to me.

We went car shopping tonight.

They had ONE Toyota Camry hybrid in stock so we test drove it.   We had test driven before but wanted to make sure.  We liked it, but not the one they had (we want a different color and a sunroof).

Then we went to the Honda dealer.  They had NONE in stock and said they get about one every 4-6 weeks and it is gone within hours.  The chances of us getting exactly what we want are slim.  They don't take orders.  The one they get is the one they get.  This is the Honda Accord Hybrid. 

So, I think we are leaning towards the Camry as they are easier to find in what we want.  Didn't ask about orders, but we did find the one we want online at a nearby dealership with some pretty good incentives.

Dawn

Yeah, that is our thinking as well.   We have a Toyota Sequoia and it has been a very good vehicle.

I like the Hondas a bit better overall (design, look, feel, interior) but with the cost difference, we will most likely go with the Toyota.  Dh is going to make calls tomorrow and see what we can find out.

Dawn

I know you've already done your homework, but I figure whether you get a Toyota or a Honda, you can't really go wrong.  :)

We went car shopping tonight.

They had ONE Toyota Camry hybrid in stock so we test drove it. We had test driven before but wanted to make sure. We liked it, but not the one they had (we want a different color and a sunroof).

Then we went to the Honda dealer. They had NONE in stock and said they get about one every 4-6 weeks and it is gone within hours. The chances of us getting exactly what we want are slim. They don't take orders. The one they get is the one they get. This is the Honda Accord Hybrid.

So, I think we are leaning towards the Camry as they are easier to find in what we want. Didn't ask about orders, but we did find the one we want online at a nearby dealership with some pretty good incentives.

Dawn

I hope you're able to get the car you want! :)

If you're really interested in the Honda, try a higher-volume dealership, as they may get more of the type of car you want, or they may be able to order it for you.

Let us know what you get!

Most transmissions don't have to be replaced within 70,000 miles, though. :)

I'm not arguing with you -- I know that the hybrid batteries are different from those in conventional vehicles. The thing is, not everyone is aware of that, nor are they aware of the substantial replacement cost. Unless they're familiar with hybrids, I would guess that most people would think a battery is a battery, and not assume a potential $8,000 replacement cost. When I first looked at the Cayenne, I figured the battery was going to be more expensive than a regular one, but I definitely wasn't thinking it would be several thousand dollars more expensive -- and the scheduled maintenance on the Cayenne hybrid is costlier than the maintenance on a regular Cayenne, as well. They don't have to go in for maintenance as often, but the overall cost is still pricier for the hybrid. That's the only reason I mentioned it here.

Again, I'm not at all familiar with Toyotas or Hondas; I'm only familiar with the Porsche hybrids. It sounds like the batteries are both longer-lasting and less expensive in the Honda and Toyota vehicles.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm discouraging Dawn (or anyone else) from buying a hybrid vehicle -- that wasn't my intent at all. All I was suggesting is that she do her research so she knows exactly what she's getting into -- and it sounds like she has already done exactly that. :)

I think 70,000 miles from a hybrid battery is a very poor lifespan, and I wouldn't even consider the car. It clearly isn't well made or the manufacturer isn't committed to hybrid technology.

And, just so you know, the whole "Your battery will die and it will cost thousands to replace' has been the first thing everyone has ever said to me when I talk about buying a hybrid. The very first thing. At this point I cannot imagine there are many people who haven't heard this. But, then again, I seem to live in hybrid central so I am pretty saturated with them.

here is a link with lots of info about hybrid batteries

http://prius.wikia.com/wiki/Lifespan/Operating_costs

and this is an interesting article about what happened when Consumer Reports decided to look into the whole your battery will die thing

http://autos.aol.com/article/toyota-prius-reliability/

"Fast forward to today. Based on data from over 36,000 Toyota Prius hybrids in its annual survey, Consumer Reports has found that the Prius consistently gets top marks when it comes to reliability, and also boasts low ownership costs.But now that the Prius has been around for more than a decade in the U.S., and available on the used-car market, some of those doubters might still wonder what the answers were to their old questions about long-term battery performance, durability and replacement. The same could be said of buyers who are considering buying a used Prius with a lot of miles on it.

The engineers at Consumer Reports recently decided to answer those questions by taking a 2002 Prius with 208,000 miles on it, and putting it through its paces. The magazine's testers hooked the car up to its testing instruments to see if battery performance and fuel efficiency had degraded, and if so, by how much. As part of the evaluation, the engineers also checked into battery replacement costs.

The upshot? They found that there was very little difference in battery performance, fuel economy and acceleration in the used '02 model when compared to a nearly identical 2001 Prius they tested 10 years ago when it was new."

It continues:

"Fisher says he recalls rumors about what it might cost to replace the Prius battery if that was required, with estimates as high as $10,000. But, right now, if the battery on that '02 Prius did need to be replaced, it would cost between $2,200 and $2,600 at a Toyota dealership.

"Except, it's doubtful that anyone would buy a brand-new hybrid battery for an eight-year-old vehicle," observes Fisher. "They would be most likely to go to a salvage yard, and find one on a low-mileage Prius, just like you would if you were looking to replace an engine or a transmission on any older car."

Consumer Reports found many such Prius batteries available at salvage yards in the $500 range."

This dealership is said to have the highest volume on the East Coast.  

They just aren't getting them made very fast.

I hope you're able to get the car you want! :)

If you're really interested in the Honda, try a higher-volume dealership, as they may get more of the type of car you want, or they may be able to order it for you.

Let us know what you get!

We have a Ford Fusion Energi (the plug in hybrid). We've only had it for a month. I LOVE it. It's such a nice ride. I've cut $150-$200 out of our gas budget. The size of the trunk is taking a little getting used to. The trunk is better in the non-plug in version.

Do you live where charging stations are common?

Getting solar panels on our roof is in our short-term plan (we have to get ds through college first, maybe even dd19), and then I'd like to get a plug-in car, either all electric or a hybrid.

Do you live where charging stations are common?

Getting solar panels on our roof is in our short-term plan (we have to get ds through college first, maybe even dd19), and then I'd like to get a plug-in car, either all electric or a hybrid.

no, there are no charging stations by me.   The Ford Energi line are plug in hybrids though.  The battery pack will only go ~15 miles on its own.  Just enough for me to go to work and back.  I'm not sure I'm ready for an all electric.  As the technology progresses I'm sure it will become a viable option but, unless you can afford a Tesla, they just don't have the range.  And charging takes too long.

no, there are no charging stations by me.   The Ford Energi line are plug in hybrids though.  The battery pack will only go ~15 miles on its own.  Just enough for me to go to work and back.  I'm not sure I'm ready for an all electric.  As the technology progresses I'm sure it will become a viable option but, unless you can afford a Tesla, they just don't have the range.  And charging takes too long.

Our Volt has a range of around 35 miles, depending on how efficiently we drive it. Keep in mind, that's all electric, not hybrid. After that, the gas kicks in and we can go about 250 miles on a tank of gas. There is a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty on the battery. With a dedicated 240v electrical socket, it takes about 4 hours to charge from empty to full. 

Cost of electricity to charge a car enough to travel 25 miles is .96 cents, or at least with the car I looked up.

It will cost $1.62 (roughly) for our new hybrid to travel the same distance.  

It now costs about $3.50 or so for that same distance in my Sequoia! 

I'm wondering what the benefits are to an electric car.  If you charge your own, you may be saving gas money but you are paying additional costs for electricity.  I'm sure I'm missing something, but I don't get the advantage or the appeal.  Please share!

:)

Our adult son and dil have a (2010 or 2011 not sure) Prius. They both have long commutes and between them were spending $400 a month for gas. They love the Prius. I rode in it and it's a decent ride. No better or worse IMO than other cars of the same size/style. DIL says the only negative is the lack of pickup when in electric mode, but you can switch it to gas mode if you really need or want to.

Also, the model they have doesn't need to plug in to charge. It charges while you're driving. I'm not sure how that works.

Our neighbor got a Ford Plug in hybrid and loves it.  Hers is the Ford C-Max Energi.

We have a Ford Fusion Energi  (the plug in hybrid).  We've only had it for a month.  I LOVE it.  It's such a nice ride.  I've cut $150-$200 out of our gas budget.  The size of the trunk is taking a little getting used to.  The trunk is better in the non-plug in version.  

I'm wondering what the benefits are to an electric car.  If you charge your own, you may be saving gas money but you are paying additional costs for electricity.  I'm sure I'm missing something, but I don't get the advantage or the appeal.  Please share!

It costs us about 4o cents per day to charge our Volt, a negligible cost & nothing like spending $45.00 on a tank of gas that lasts less than a week. However,  It isn't all about monetary savings from purchasing less gas, it's about stewardship of the environment. 

And imagine if you had solar panels on your house! You could use the sun to charge your car. I have a couple neighbors who do that. Amazing.

Our adult son and dil have a (2010 or 2011 not sure) Prius. They both have long commutes and between them were spending $400 a month for gas. They love the Prius. I rode in it and it's a decent ride. No better or worse IMO than other cars of the same size/style. DIL says the only negative is the lack of pickup when in electric mode, but you can switch it to gas mode if you really need or want to.

Also, the model they have doesn't need to plug in to charge. It charges while you're driving. I'm not sure how that works.

The car's own friction charges its batteries. It reclaims the energy that is usually wasted via braking and wheels turning.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybridtech.shtml