Menu

Would you use a Hooter Hider? (yes, this is for real!)

A Hooter Hider is a snazzy looking nursing cover. Here's a link to where you can buy them http://shop.bebeaulait.com/ and here's a link to where you can sew one yourself inexpensively http://imustnotthinkbadthoughts.wordpress.com/2007/10/01/here-have-a-hooty/ So the question of the day is, if I sew myself a Hooter Hider, will I actually use it?? I had nothing like that with dd but wore nursing clothes, used a sling, etc. This time I'm not interested in buying nursing clothes, but I'm not exactly Victorian (show the skin and lay on a hankie) either. Ok, I don't care a fig about nursing in front of women, but in front of men? But doesn't it seem to you that such a thing draws MORE attention and makes it worse?

To sew or not to sew a Hooter Hider, what do you think? :)

I just bought one for my sis-in-law who is due next month. It's actually a really cool design, because you can still have eye contact with your baby. Much better than putting a blanket over their head and having it fall off every minute or so, which was what I did when I was nursing...

So, I guess yes! I would buy one and use one too.

Nope. Couldn't use one. It draws MORE attention to the fact that you're nursing!! Just use a sling. Wear a shirt that you can pull up.

I was at a wedding last summer where two women were using these. It was so obvious what they were doing!!! I just nursed my baby in a nice blouse and skirt quietly in a corner. Nobody knew!

JMHO!

I never knew it was uncommon to use one. Everyone I knew when I nursed covered themselves and it wasn't an issue. Is just the idea of nursing offensive? I don't think so. When I see a woman nursing uncovered it doesn't phase me at all either. I like to use both scenarios as learning tools for my kids so they know that breastfeeding is natural and nothing to be offended by.

I like the "Bebe Au Lait" one better, but I don't have anything against the "Hooter Hiders." From the pic the Bebe looks more like a sling, and the HH looks too much like a smock for my personal taste. The material on both kinds is really cool.

For myself, nursing has always been a struggle and I prefer not to use any type of extra covering that might get in the way. You can't see anything when it's just the baby's head and my shirt. But if I were to use a covering I'd love to have a stylish one, and those are both way more stylish than my current sling.

I will say, Hooter Hiders is a fun name, and it get extra points just for that! :001_smile:

I doubt I would ever use one. Of course, people generally had no idea I was nursing. I can't tell you how many people would come and rub a baby's head and start talking to me while they were nursing. They were clueless. Even when tandem nursing my twins, people usually were clueless. One lady about went into shock when she came up, asked to see the babies, and I answered that they were a little busy at the moment. She figured it out and almost fainted from embarrassment.

I never managed to perfect the whole "nursing while covering up stuff" procedure. It took full-on baring to get a latch. Then, the skin(uh...fat rolls) on my side would show. I did often go into a non-crowded, but public, area, but I always kept a light-weight blanket over me. I don't really think it drew attention to me, except for women who could figure it out. And honestly.....it was WAY more important to me that no one got even a glimpse of ni**le than that they might figure out what I was doing.

So, I would have used this. It would have let me look down to get a good latch and then I wouldn't have to keep adjusting the blanket to make sure things were covered.

Nope. Couldn't use one. It draws MORE attention to the fact that you're nursing!! Just use a sling. Wear a shirt that you can pull up.

I was at a wedding last summer where two women were using these. It was so obvious what they were doing!!! I just nursed my baby in a nice blouse and skirt quietly in a corner. Nobody knew!

JMHO!

:iagree: with Jennifer.

I wouldn't either. I had a small blankey that I would lay across the top of their head that covered the edge of my pulled up top and the side of their face. People usually thought they were sleeping snuggled up to me with their blankey.

I never understood the all the way up to the shoulder thing b/c it makes it more obvious.

I couldn't ever get the hang of covering up. I wore target nursing tanks to cover my belly and pulled up my shirt. Nothing shows. If I really cared about the company I was around being bothered, which I believe was exactly one occasion, I would wear a jacket or light sweater to cover more.

I have always been a non-Hooter Hider mom. Now, before you think that means I'm a flasher, I'm just more comfortable going to a private area or finding a shielded spot most times. I have nursed in restaurants, just stayed in a booth with babe on the wall side. There have, however, been times when I thought, "Boy it would sure be convenient to just nurse right here" rather than find a private area.

Recently, I saw a wife of a friend using a cute little apron type cover-up... it was crocheted or knit, some kind of openwork or mesh, so not terribly suffocating. My problem (besides not wanting to mess with it) has been that my kiddos never want anything covering them up. I think I'd like to try the crochet/knit version though, even if just on occasion when in public places.

Someone gave me one of those with my youngest and I never used it. I just made do with a receiving blanket until she wouldn't tolerate it any longer.

As for nursing clothes - I've nursed 3 and have yet to buy a nursing shirt (BTW, you can spot nursing clothes a mile away). Instead, I always layered - a tank top under a looser fitting t-shirt, a tank or t shirt under a button-up shirt, a tank or t under a lightweight sweater. By layering (especially with the button-up shirt), I think you can hide (if you are concerned about it) effectively - and you can wear the clothes even when you're no longer nursing!

I just don't go for that kind of thing.

Sewing it yourself? Sure. I wasn't a modest nurser. I could never figure out how to do the whole thing from latching on to distracted babies looking around, without revealing more than I wanted to reveal. And the blanket things didn't work well for me. So I didn't nurse in public at all.

Maybe something like this would have worked for me. But with a differnent name:)

Few things in life fill me with a greater spirit of joy and happiness than seeing a mother nursing her infant child.

I've never encountered a more demanding feeder than my son in his infancy, so my wife was nursing almost constantly. And I was so proud of her for not holding back when we were out in public.

I never found it difficult for her to be "discreet", but even it it wasn't, I see no shame in this loving act.

Bill

Few things in life fill me with a greater spirit of joy and happiness than seeing a mother nursing her infant child.

I've never encountered a more demanding feeder than my son in his infancy, so my wife was nursing almost constantly. And I was so proud of her for not holding back when we were out in public.

I never found it difficult for her to be "discreet", but even it it wasn't, I see no shame in this loving act.

Bill

Music to my ears... I mean eyes! :D

During the last go-round about N.I.P (nursing in public, LOL!), I asked DH about it. He thinks its bizarre that anyone see it as anything but "feeding a baby". Then I proceeded to list every hot celebrity, etc I could think of-nursing, indiscreetly. He still insists that it is *not* the same thing, and in fact was sort of offended I would even ask!

No hooter hiders here. For one, I have no hooters, even with nursing, so if anyone looking my while I am nursing, they would have to break out the magnifying glass. And also be sort of a stalker.;)

Lets hear it for N.I.P.!!!!!

:party:

Lets hear it for N.I.P.!!!!!

:party:

It's the only way. We nursing moms can't just spend that first year hiding can we? When they're hungry, they're HUNGRY! *shrugs*

And to better answer the OP, I have seen them used. Personally, I think I would keep forgetting the thing at home and not have it when I needed it. I think you should do what ever is comfortable for you so you can maintain normal activities as much as possible and still take care of your baby.

I LOVED my sling! I could walk around Wal-mart nursing my baby and only the "knowing" moms had a clue ;)

:iagree:

Of all the stuff my parents and two sets of in-laws gave me, when Mac was born, the only two things I kept were my sling and my lambs wool rung. I still have my first sling as a keep sake. At one time I think I had four. :D

It's the only way. We nursing moms can't just spend that first year hiding can we? When they're hungry, they're HUNGRY! *shrugs*

I nursed in public until some of mine were much over a year. I happen to like nursing clothes and wore them even when not pg. Mine have never wanted to be covered up, even when sleeping, so I cannot imagine using something to cover up with from the beginning. However, I do know some ladies who feel much more comfortable nursing in public when they are using a cover such as the one the OP wrote about.

I know of at least one man who is incredibly uncomfortable with women nursing around him. I try not to nurse in front of him.

With my first one, I would have appreciated something like that as I was getting used to nursing, but it would not have worked for long. After about 3 months, I didn't feel the need to cover because we were getting pretty good at getting discrete with normal clothes.

However, I would never buy a HOOTER HIDER because I detest the name. The name continues the myth the breastfeeding is a sexual act to be done in private. One of my missions in life is to dispel this myth so that societal attitudes will change toward nursing in public.

I wouldn't buy anything called "hooter" anything

-- I just don't go for that kind of thing.

I have to agree. The name just makes me *cringe*, and I would be unlikely to buy one just because of that. (I can see making one or buying a similar product elsewhere *if* that was something I would use.) But the name. It's just beyond tacky. I don't have "hooters", I have "breasts", thanks.

Does is come with speakers?? I have a fast let-down so my problem isn't really the 'look' of nursing as much as the 'sound' of nursing. I could never nurse a newborn in public because the poor little things can't keep up with the let-down. My older babies were very noisy!

I have to agree. The name just makes me *cringe*, and I would be unlikely to buy one just because of that. (I can see making one or buying a similar product elsewhere *if* that was something I would use.) But the name. It's just beyond tacky. I don't have "hooters", I have "breasts", thanks.

Mine wasn't called a Hooter Hider. :001_smile:

I just used a receiving blanket, usually the one for the baby but I was never one to walk around while nursing either. If I were to nurse again I would get one of those slings to carry the baby in and use that in combo with a receiving blanket but I didn't like to have to carry too much around anyways.

I could only walk around while my babies were tiny. But during that time they wanted to nurse constantly so it was a big help.

Bill

Well, that's good:) But I wasn't ashamed of anything. I just found it hard to nurse in any way remotely discreet. Plus, I was often trying to juggle the nursers twin, and I just found it didn't work well.

But I don't have any problem with women nursing whereever, whenever. I just think for me, it was too difficult. And not really necessary - for me.

I never managed to perfect the whole "nursing while covering up stuff" procedure. It took full-on baring to get a latch. Then, the skin(uh...fat rolls) on my side would show. I did often go into a non-crowded, but public, area, but I always kept a light-weight blanket over me. I don't really think it drew attention to me, except for women who could figure it out. And honestly.....it was WAY more important to me that no one got even a glimpse of ni**le than that they might figure out what I was doing.

So, I would have used this. It would have let me look down to get a good latch and then I wouldn't have to keep adjusting the blanket to make sure things were covered.

Yes, yes, and yes. I too am much more concerned about flashing the latchers than letting people in on the fact that a baby is eating. Why is it a big deal for people to know you are nursing? I just don't get that it's a secret.

I have a large quantity of nursing equipment, so the bebeaulait worked wonderfully for me. It's just harder to be discreet hauling these babies out. :tongue_smilie: The nursing apron allowed me to set up shop without getting arrested. :D

I love the fact that I could still have eye contact with the baby and he couldn't pull off the lightweight cover. It kinda tents out so it didn't bug my son the way blankets bothered my other kids. Even so, he only tolerated it for about 10 months. By that age, it's discreet and blanketless is doable even for me.

Well, that's good:) But I wasn't ashamed of anything. I just found it hard to nurse in any way remotely discreet. Plus, I was often trying to juggle the nursers twin, and I just found it didn't work well.

But I don't have any problem with women nursing whereever, whenever. I just think for me, it was too difficult. And not really necessary - for me.

I do hope you didn't see an implied criticism in what I wrote. Anything thing that makes a woman feel comfortable with nursing in public I'm all for. I know my wife had some modesty issues at first too, so I'm for what ever works.

I have to laugh at what Cindy (beansprouts) wrote about getting more relaxed with each child, because, while we only have one child, he nursed so often that it must have felt like it was three children to Mrs Spy Car, and her attitude evolved as time went on (to my delight).

I do remember reading something on breast-feeding to Mrs Spy Car early in our son's infancy about women in Africa who according to the book often nurse their babies every 15 minutes. Mrs Spy Car, looked at me, rolled her eyes, and said:

Yea, well at least those women get a break

It was amazing how much our boy nursed. The woman is a saint!

Bill

I can't imagine using one. It's been a long time since I nursed a baby. With my youngest son, I was able to nurse him while he was in the sling and no one was the wiser. (I'm not terribly well-endowed, I know this would be difficult for some of my more "gifted" friends.) Before that, we had the twins. To be honest, I just didn't go out that much. It was much easier to nurse them at home. With my oldest son, he would have kicked and hollered at being covered up in anyway - but like I said, there's not much to see here, I found it easy to be discreet.

My dh is a lot like Bill/Spy Car! I remember him taking the three older boys (our oldest had just turned 2 and the twins were 7-8 months) to give me a chance to shower. He came home with the boys smiling. He'd given our phone number to every nursing mom in the park (some of whom I'm still friends with!). I remember at the time being sort of horrified. Now, I look back on it and get a huge smile on my face.