Menu

Responsibilities and kids. What's realistic and can they be done well?

ChristusG

I know that my kids do not have enough responsibility and I do too much for them. They are 9, 6, and 2. I'm referring to the older two, of course. I'm trying to decide what's realistic.

My 9 year old was doing her own laundry but we've gotten away from that. I need to start her doing it again. However, I have to remind her to do it. I have to pour the detergent in because we have front loaders on pedastools and she can't reach. I have to remind her to switch. I have to remind her when it's done. Her folding and putting away is atrocious. And she doesn't care if she wears wrinkly clothing. It's almost as much work as if I'd done it myself! If your child folds their clothing, what do you do if it's all wrinkly?

Do your elementary kids wash dishes? I'm sure mine would miss food that may be stuck on and needing a scrub or two. Do they clean the toilet? If so, are they careful with the chemicals? Do they mop? I use some arm power when mopping that they just wouldn't have.

So I'm not sure what all they could/should be doing. And how much/often I should have to instruct them on their given chores. Do you stand by them while they clean the bathroom every time? Just the first time?

I just really need this family of 6 to share some responsibility around here!

My 6 yo ds hand washes the two bathroom floors once a week and empties the dishwasher daily. He isn't able to handwash dishes very well lately, but sometimes I will have him wash the cups and I will do the rest of them. My 8yo dd loads the dishwasher, empties the dishwasher and can wash all the dishes except the worst pots and pans. She dries dishes like a champ. She also cleans the bathroom mirrors and cleans the dog dishes once a month. She vacuums rugs sometimes (as does the younger dc) and will vacuum under the couch cushions.   All my kids are able to do their own laundry although sometimes I will throw a load in for them if they have a lot going on. I know they like to feel helped out just as much as I do and I want them to feel like we are all working together in this house.

My seven-year-olds only have a few chores, and they are not responsible for remembering to do them.  If we were home more hours of each day, I would expect them to do some things every day (eventually without constant reminders), like wipe tables, sweep floors, and keep their stuff organized.  They help with all types of tasks when asked, more because I want them to know how than because I need the help.

My 9 year old does his own laundry, unloads the dishwasher, takes out the recycling, folds towels, sweeps and mops his bedroom, and is fully responsible (with his sister) for cleaning the main bathroom. I know there's more I should probably be having him do, but I know he'll do it poorly (like dishes, as you mentioned).

My kids (13 and 7) tidy, take out the rubbish, unpack the dishwasher (and of course put their own dishes in), sort laundry, pack away their folded clothes and help with pet and yard care. I consider cleaning, laundry and dinners to be my job description. As regards laundry, no single person in this house owns a full load of washing, so doing it individually would be very wasteful. If I worked outside the home, they would have to do more. My philosophical position is that they shouldn't be 'playing' while I'm working, so if I'm busy I get them to help me with other tasks. I prefer that we work together, rather than giving them regularly assigned task - this means I don't have the extra job of chasing after them, and the jobs I need done get done immediately. (As an example, if I need to take in the laundry, but also need to cook, then the kids would be expected to take in and sort the laundry, and put away the small items while I fold the clothes between cooking tasks. Both jobs get done, we're working together, they aren't playing while I am frantically busy and I don't have to follow up as I am working alongside them.)

My 6 year old is responsible for clearing the table after breakfast and dinner, and emptying out her bathroom trash can when it is full (also putting another bag in it). She also helps me cook two nights a week (mostly just watching me or getting stuff out of the cabinets I need and helping me measure and clean up the kitchen when we are done). But she loves helping so it isn't a struggle.

Both of my children (I also have a 4 year old) clean their rooms daily, pick up toys in playroom daily, and put away their own clothes (I fold, and tell them which drawer to take the clothes to).

(Kids are the same age, but you know that, lol) We alternate chores every few weeks. They each have one  "main" chore. Our 3 "Main" chores (one for each kid) include 1: loading and unloading the dishwasher & getting it going, 2: gathering up all the laundry and putting it through the washer and dryer, then helping me sort it into each individual's clothing piles, and 3: tidying up the floors in all areas of the house (save the bathrooms, since that involves chemicals). We give them each enough time at each chore that they get really good at it... and then we switch em up. Their main chores must be done as much as necessary, whether than be once a day, every other day, or several times a day.

Aside from that, we also have chores that everyone helps out with. The older two fold their own laundry. the 5 year old just folds his pants because shirts are beyond him, lol. They put all of it away once it's folded. If they do a bad job, I make them do it again.  Once the floor are tidied up, we all help clean them. One kid will vaccuum carpets while another sweeps and another wipes up those mysterious blobs that somehow always appear in the kitchen, etc. We also all help with dusting - everyone gets a rag and just goes for it.

We also need to work on bathrooms, but I'm so not ready to deal with teaching them that quite yet. They also do a crappy (not pun intended) job at first and Can just them accidentally flinging who knows what into all corners of the room by accident.

They actually enjoy doing it all. It's surprisingly little work for them, and I think they could handle more, but aside from the bathroom I don't know what else to give them. I suppose teaching them how to make a real dinner would be up next.

I should add that my 8yo is almost ready to let make macaroni and hot dogs independently. It's the first stove lesson the kids here learn. She almost has peanut butter cookies down pat too.

My 10yo does his own laundry, cleans the bathroom sinks, floors, and mirrors, dusts light fixtures, makes a couple simple meals and bakes a couple things, knows how to mow the lawn (although this will be his first summer that we'll let him go solo), can hook up the trailer to the dune buggy and move things around the farm for me, vacuums, and sweeps (although not really well yet).

Around 9 or 10 (depending on the kid) I start nudging them into a little more responsibility, but usually around that time they also start getting to stay up a little bit later. With extra maturity and extra privileges, also come extra responsibility.

Also, just because my kid is able to do these things doesn't mean I expect all that out of him all the time. He still needs time to explore and play. I just have them all pick 2 or 3 things daily from the list for that day to help out with.

As far as quality, my 7yos are not very meticulous, nor do I really ask them to be.  They could be if I decided to make it a priority, but then at their age, it would take more time than I'm willing to devote.  My kids aren't too bad about folding, but I don't even ask them to put stuff away because of space limitations - there's very little room for error before stuff starts bulging out of drawers.  (And I practically need a crane to make space in the closet for hanging clothes. :P)

You involve them and work with them until they know how to do things. And you don't worry if it is not quite up to what you would do.

I don't have my sons do their own laundry because we have to pool clothes to get full loads. Instead I have the older son fold their clothes and the often the towels and I have the little guy put their clothes and the towels away. My older son helps with starting and moving loads. That's enough for me. No, the towels are not folded as neatly as I fold them. That is ok. It's a pile of towels I am not folding, right?!

We do cleanup time together as a family. My older son has a daily task of unloading the dishwasher and he is usually the one running the vacuum. He's 10. My younger son does things like wipe off counters and set the table, with help and guidance.

The important thing for me is knowing they can do it. I don't always require them to do so, though. Both dds can do their own laundry from sorting to folding but I don't require they do it every time. They can do dishes, clean their entire bathroom, etc. but I do not require it all the time. They can cook for themselves but I do not make them do it every night at dinner. My goal is that they can take care of themselves but not that they have to at this point.

You involve them and work with them until they know how to do things. And you don't worry if it is not quite up to what you would do.

:iagree: This and it is so important! 

DS does the following without help:

Bring in wood and remove ashes

Clean chicken coop and care for chickens

Feed cat

Take trash to the curb

Sort recycling

Mow (seasonal)

He can do without help, but I often join him for:

laundry (starting, moving, folding and putting away)

dishes 

cleaning the living room

There is more but I am too tired to list them all tonight

Okay, I have a just turned 9 year old, a 7, 5, and 3 year old. I expect all but the 3 year old to put away their own clothes (I sort and fold them, they rarely stay folded - whatever). Everyday they have a "big" chore in the afternoon that they have to do that I give out, like cleaning up the living room or tidying up the outside toys, or sweeping the kitchen. The 3 year old gets a developmentally appropriate chore, like putting away the play food in the toy kitchen that lives in our kitchen. Everyone also is supposed to pick up toys in their room before bed, although admittedly sometimes that doesn't happen - I tend to be more flexible with their rooms than I am with the communal living areas. The big rule is to clean up after ones self. I try to really encourage this - we are all working together to live in pleasant home.

I think the key is that everyone does *something.* Its not necessary that it be perfect, just that they be all working toward cleaning up. 

I write down their duties on cue cards and give them to them each morning and evening, and they bring me back the cards when they're finished -- nothing gets forgotten that way.

5 yo boy makes his and his brother's bed (poorly, fyi), sweeps the floor of the children's room, puts away the children's toys in the evening, clears the table, and puts all the books back on the shelf.

7 yo girl empties the dishwasher (I had to put labels with masking tape to let her know where things go), sweeps the living room and kitchen (twice daily), and makes her and our bed.

Everyone -- including 3 yo -- is responsible for carrying his own pack, carrying his own instrument (if he has one), putting his folded clothes away in his box, and busing his own dishes. The few things that can't be wrinkled (dress shirts and dresses, say) I put on hangers.

They do not do these things as well as I would. But it's better than nothing, and they do get better at it.

If you really want 8 yo doing the laundry, I'd write the steps out on a card, put a stool down there, and give her a timer to set and clip to herself so she knows it's time to switch the laundry.

We do a lot of work just together. Individually the kids are responsible for their rooms and folding/putting away clothes. Every few months or so I help ds w/ organizing his room- pulling everything out. Right now I help the girls w/ their room at times as well- as the 4 yo is not in the most helpful stage and the 1yo is a tornado.

We have 2 main bathrooms and the oldest are responsible for 1 each, floors are done by hand- bathrooms are not big. They usually clean them 2x a week, 1x being more deep. I pick up here and there as I see it needed. They take turns setting the table and they are supposed to put their dishes on the counter when done. Ds takes care of trash, dd checks the mail and dd 4 starts the dishwasher. My kids don't have full loads of clothes so they don't wash, I just have them bring me their clothes at night.

We have afternoon clean-up time and usually the kids are in charge of the great room-picking up and vacuuming, while I do the kitchen. They put away dishes about half of the time. They clean up outside when it is needed. I give the 4yo very specific small jobs.

Mostly it is what needs to be done at that time though, if work needs to be everyone pitches in as they are able. Sometimes they help more or less depending on what is going on at the time. My days aren't exactly the same right now as my sleep and energy are really off so we are flexible.  Oh, and they are always pitching in with the 1yo, dd 6.5 is always taking her to play, she loves playing the little mother. At times I ask them to help so I can do something I cannot with her- ie chop veggies, take a hot pan out, or occasionally shower by myself.

They are always looking for extra things to do as well for money but they aren't allowed to work for money until their main chores are done (bathrooms, trash, bedrooms etc). 

Anyway, it is a bit hard to quantify as what I value most is not just that they do work to help out around here but that we work together to help each other out, so that is what I stress the most. Also, if you make a mess you clean it up, this is a given. I help if they cannot do it all or need direction but you take responsibility for yourself first. I see this one often that kids make huge messes and then move on not paying any attention while mom jumps right to cleaning it up. 

We've never really had set chores or responsibilities.  Instead, in our family it's always been the culture that one *always* picks up after oneself and certain things need doing and everyone does their share. We focus on constant maintenance, not once a day/week/month cleaning.

In our family bedrooms are always kept tidy and clothes are never left out.  Beds are made every morning.  Possessions are kept neat and tidy, not strewn around the room.

The boys have always been expected to place dirty dishes in the dishwasher immediately (not leave in sink and certainly not on the table) and wipe down the kitchen island or counters if they leave crumbs.  Anything they spill or drop on the floor gets cleaned up or picked up immediately.  If they fix a snack or cook anything (our kitchen is "open" all the time), they clean up after themselves.  If they use the last of an item or see that we're running low on something, they write it on the grocery list.

They share their own bathroom and are expected to keep it clean and tidy always.  I scrub the tub and mop the floor once a week, but they're expected to maintain things in a neat and orderly fashion on a constant basis.  That includes keeping sinks and toilet clean and keeping the counter tidy.

Teaching constant picking/cleaning up after oneself has always worked or us, especially since it's a natural progression.  As the kid gets older and is capable of doing more and more self-care, they're naturally expected to do more picking up/cleaning up after themselves.

They also feed/care for the pets when I'm not available.  It's a job I prefer to do myself (they are my pets, after all), but they can and will step in when needed.  Yard work is similar--DH enjoys doing it himself, but the boys know if he's too busy that it's their job.  Because we're a family, and families pitch in to get work done.

If I come home from grocery shopping and either of the boys are home, they're expected to bring them in for me.

As far as laundry, I've always done it because that's a much more efficient use of water, electricity and detergent than having everyone do it themselves.  But the boys know how.

I think a lot of this depends on your house setup and your children's capabilities. As you mentioned, it can be difficult for a 9 year old to add detergent to a front load washer (we have the same problem), so it might not be realistic to expect your 9 year old to take over laundry at this point. It also sounds like you don't have a dishwasher. So, yes, I could see how it would be hard to turn over dishes to your 9 year old. I certainly wouldn't want to eat off of dishes that hadn't been properly cleaned and sanitized.

So, if your goal is to just get your kids involved in helping out the family, you could have them help in other ways. Maybe they help more with meal prep and clean up, for example. If the goal is to teach them self-sufficiency with household care, then they might need to work along side of you to learn until they can handle the chore themselves.

To specifically answer some of your questions... My 9 yo loads the dishwasher 3 times a week. She does not hand wash anything. It was a little too much having her load more often than that, so we found a happy medium with 3 times. I load 2 days, and dh loads 2 days. My 6 yo cleans the bathroom once a week. I have a post it note in the bathroom with the tasks listed. He does do the toilet. I don't use harsh chemicals. I usually use baking soda or vinegar for most cleaning. I use baby wipes to wipe off most surfaces. I worked alongside him the first 10 times probably. He's mostly got it now. We use a shark steamer for mopping. It's easy for a 6 yo to use. I fold clothes, and everyone puts them away. I don't like to go out in public with children in wrinkled clothes. ;-) So, for now, I fold.

The other chores my kids have are feeding dogs, switching laundry from washer to dryer, tidying the living room once a day, and taking out the recycling. They also clean their bedrooms thoroughly once a week. They do a quick pick up each night.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what I do with my kids. Some of it just isn't applicable at your house. I hope you can take something and apply it to your situation, though. :-) I have been helped so much over the last few years on here by reading other people's tips for managing their homes.

I wanted to say as well that I think the most important thing is to first think about why you want your kids to do more and what type of atmosphere you want for your family. I want my kids to have a sense of independence, to do what they can for themselves and have confidence in themselves and what they are able to do. Also, I want our home and family to be a cooperative one, not a dictatorship. So, what I want them to do and how we do things are working towards those goals primarily. Some run a tighter ship than us but things run well here and work for us, so we're good.

My girls are 5 and 8, almost 6 and 9. They-

*Unload dishwasher

*Sweep

*Dust (using a microfiber towel and a bit of water)-I assign them rooms-school room (lots and lots of bookshelves), living room, a bedroom, or the playroom

*Wipe down table (using Method spray)

*Wipe baseboards and doors (magic eraser)

*Wipe down light switches and door handles (I have them use a washcloth with Method anti-bac)

*Wipe down couch (microfiber towel with a bit of leather conditioner and water)

*Make beds

*Take their (tiny) dogs for a walk daily

*Feed, water, train, pick up after, and bathe their dogs

*Pick up any game, toy, or craft they take out

*Clean the bathrooms-put all towels and mats into the hamper, wipe mirror, counter, sink, tub, toilet, and cabinets (I have Method bathroom spray and Method wood spray for the cabinets). They use the brush to clean inside the toilet. Sweep and mop the floors.

*Wipe kitchen cabinets (I let them counter surf for the tops ones, which they love lol)

*Wipe front of dishwasher, stove, and fridge (microfiber towel with a bit of water)

*Mop

*Wipe stair railing

*Fold laundry and put it away (I don't care what their clothes look like. It's all tshirts and leggings anyway, but they do a decent job at folding and generally don't just shove stuff willy-nilly)

*Cook-they can make a lot of things. I had to let go of the mess they make. It's important to me that they learn to cook. Plus, all of my minions know how to operate the keurig now. ;)

*They also take turns 3 days a week entertaining their little (3 year old) sister. I have a sitter come twice a week to help with her now, but on the days she's not home, the big girls alternate watching her for an hour so I can do school with the other sister. The first one to watch her takes her upstairs and gets her out of her pajamas, into clothes, takes her potty, brushes her hair and teeth, and plays. Then we all have snack and a story. The second sister that watches her takes her into the dining room (we school at the kitchen table) and does a preschool activity with her-play doh, rice or water bin, puzzles, painting, giant magnet, bubbles (outside), a preK workbook, reads to her, string beads, ect.

*When I've finished seat work with the older two, I'll send older them outside to their treehouse to read. Older dd helps middle dd with words she doesn't know. I'll do a little preK stuff with dd3 during that time.

*Older dd will vacuum. Middle dd offers, but our vacuum is heavier than she is lol.

*After a meal or snack, they know to scrap their dish into the trash and put it in the sink/on the counter.

I made up chore instruction on index cards. They are numbered in the order I want them completed-so for the bathroom pack, there are 9 cards.

1. Pick up all clothes, towels, and bath mats. Put them in the hamper.

2. Clear off counter.

3. Wipe sinks, counters, faucets, bathtub, mirrors.

4. Use toilet brush and spray to clean inside toilet.

5. Use spray and rag to wipe toilet-seat, under seat, sides, and tank.

6. Take trash downstairs into garage trash bin, put a new bag in the small can.

7. Sweep

8. Mop

9. Take the chore pack to mom, you're done!!!

I only read the OP so far.  Here is my opinion:

1) Your kids are doing what your kids are doing.  It doesn't matter what another kid CAN do.  Their experiences will be different.

2) If you want your kids to do more/differently, then you need to TEACH it. Teaching generally progresses from working together, to supervised, to checked.  

3) I would have any child capable of any chore by 9.  My oldest was 7.  My son was a little older.  My 8yo does anything.  My 6yo is starting harder things like dishes.  

ETA:  Other than a few trials of various methods, we haven't used chore charts or other methods to assign chores.  We simply all get working and people do whatever they can or helping someone else if they are learning.  If you see something that needs to be done, do it.  If you don't know something to do, ask.

I write down their duties on cue cards and give them to them each morning and evening, and they bring me back the cards when they're finished -- nothing gets forgotten that way.

Love the chore card idea! I think we'll implement this tomorrow!

I wanted to say as well that I think the most important thing is to first think about why you want your kids to do more and what type of atmosphere you want for your family. I want my kids to have a sense of independence, to do what they can for themselves and have confidence in themselves and what they are able to do. Also, I want our home and family to be a cooperative one, not a dictatorship. So, what I want them to do and how we do things are working towards those goals primarily. Some run a tighter ship than us but things run well here and work for us, so we're good.

My goal is two-fold. One, so that I'm not always running around like a chicken with my head cut off cleaning everyone's messes. And two, so they will learn and be independent one day.

I haven't read other replies, but want to mention chore packs as a tool to not have to remind them constantly. If you aren't familiar, just do a web search.

I'll have to check this out!

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm going to look through them and see what I think my kids could do. Of course, I do realize that all kids/families are different and they will have their own capabilities, but I thought I'd gather ideas of what other children are/can do.

I have never given my kiddos chores. The constant hassle of reminding and disappointment is just not appealing to me. Nonetheless, my kiddos help do stuff. When we are cleaning a room, we all go together and just have at it. Somebody will start picking up while I make the bed. Then someone dusts while I start the vacuum. In other words, it is a family affair as it needs to be done.

This habit really became beneficial with DD13 in her early years. Keeping her focused for school was tough so getting up between each subject to go clean a room was a great help to her and me.

My younger kids clean up their own rooms, put away toys, put away their own clothes (I fold since loads are all mixed) but usually in a jumble.  Dd helps put groceries away, "helps" daddy cook dinner.

They can't do laundry because we have stacked front loaders.  I can barely reach the controls on the dryer.

They can't put dishes away because in our very small kitchen we have no lower cabinets.  Everything is in upper cabinets and lots of things are on the top shelves - again hard for me to reach and I don't think they could even on a stepstool.

They've helped prepare some food but we have a propane stove that is tricky so they haven't done much using that - more toaster and toaster oven.  We can probably expand this some.

Dusting they do some but have a tendency to break things.

Vacuuming requires moving furniture almost constantly.

DS7 washes the dishes two or three times a day. Not always well but whatever isn't clean goes straight back in - (usually) no big deal. I typically take care of the cooking stuff (pots, pans, carving knives, etc.) myself and I empty the drainer for him. He likes to clean the toilets (yeah, I don't get it either) although I rarely call on him to help clean the bathrooms. I appreciate the dish washing he does so much that I took over a number of the smaller jobs (like toilet cleaning) that he had before dish washing. He has been hassling me to let him mop since we bought a yellow mop bucket on wheels with a wet floor sign on the side (it's just cool) but I need to work with him on that because he hasn't done it much before and I just haven't been bother yet. He also fixes cereal or cooks oatmeal for breakfast and usually makes the sandwiches for lunch on weekdays. After he clears the table of dishes, DD6 puts away whatever else needs to go and then wipes down the table and sweeps. DD6 is eagerly anticipating the day that she will take over the cooking of dinner (her idea and I'm looking forward to it too :D ). She doesn't help in the kitchen yet but that is something I need to work towards. The boys might like sharing that responsibility also but DD6 is the one that is already planning our future menu. All four children help to varying degrees with tidying and putting their clothes away.

My 6yo does these things.  She has to be reminded, but not monitored. Working on making it be more of a habit.

-empty dishwasher daily (things that go too high, she stacks on the counter for me)

-bring own laundry down

-empty small trash cans

-clears the table

-take clothes to correct rooms

-pick up floors/toys ** (with incentive)

---my 4yos do all of the above except the dishwasher, but they do do the silverware

She has done, but I don't' have her do daily

-clean toilets, baseboards, counters, mirrors, vacuum, use handheld vac to clean, make her bed, fold all laundry, 

I cannot get her to clean her room or other rooms without serious motivation or providing step by step directions though… :( Working on that.

I also can't get her to put clothes away on her own (she just puts them wherever she wants)- although I know she is capable.  

I find the best beginning chores are the kind that are not vague or ambiguous.  "Put away laundry", "bring in the firewood" or "Empty the dishwasher" have been good useful starter chores in our house.  I like that they're not scalar... the job is either done or not done.  "Sweep the kitchen" is too unclear because you can say you did it but actually just moved a broom around halfheartedly.   We also have kids help clean up the house once a week.

Recently we just stepped it up and now my girls are in charge of cleaning the kitchen. Every night. Right after dinner.  They have a list of things to do. We did it first together for a few days and then they were on their own.  It's mostly wonderful, but there are arguments that have broken out about whose turn it is to choose the music or whose turn it is to take out the garbage. Still... they do a decent job.  I pay them a $10/week allowance for their work - automatically deposited directly into their debit card accounts.  They're feeling flush with money!

My 10yo has been doing the same chores for about 2yrs now.  For laundry- I do it all together, but I have her sort.  So she gathers, grabs towels, etc and sorts into the 3 loads I like (dark, med, light).  She cleans the cat litter e/o day.  Her weekly cleaning chores are dusting and wiping bathroom sinks.  We trade off on the tub and shower.  I do the toilets while she does sinks.  I use a bit harsher of a cleaning products with the toilets, so I like to do that part.  She helps with pick-up for the house and is responsible for her own room and things.  

Setting/cleaning table, helping with dishes, etc are all day-to-day affairs.  She's expected to help if asked and takes care of her own clearing/etc.  

There might be more, but those are the main ones.  

I tried out the chore cards today. I wrote each child's chores on an index card and gave it to them. I started simple....I didn't want to thrust them into meltdown and shock mode with a bunch of new chores LOL.

I had the 9 year old vacuum all the hard floors in the house....which is about 75% of the house. I followed behind her, instructing her what to move, etc. I'll probably follow behind her one more time before I set her loose to see how she does it herself.

I had the 6 year old clean up all of the 2 year old's toys. She apparently enjoyed this because she took an extra 15 minutes and organized everything into bins (blocks in one, doc stuff in another) LOL. I just meant to throw it haphazardly into whatever bin she could see.....but she did it better!

I've come up with something that I think may work. I've decided to tie chores, school, and bedtime to screen time. If they go to bed without incident or meltdown, they get 30 minutes of screen time for the next day. If they do their school work well and without a lot of complaints, they get 30 more minutes. And if they do their chores well and without complaints, they get another 30 minutes. So they have the opportunity to earn 1.5 hours of screen time per day. We'll see how this plays out this week. I explained that I may alter this and that this is only a trial week. Wish us luck!