Menu

um, deodorant?

mamamindy

Maybe I ought to be embarrassed to ask…but I am in need of deodorant.  I honestly haven't really used any (store-bought) since high school.  My DH and I make deodorant, and it has worked well for us for a long time.  However, since I had my latest baby a little over  7 months ago it just isn't cutting it anymore.  At first my hormones were still wacky and I was sweating all the time.  But I'm STILL sweaty.  Also, she shares the bed with us for part of the night and is a hot-natured baby.  I wake up all sweaty and stinky.  This would be OK since I shower when I get up, but throughout the day I am still sweating IN THE WINTER.  Sheesh.  Looking for reccs for deodorant since I haven't shopped for any in a LONG time.  Thanks.

ETA: I realize there's a difference between deodorants and antiperspirants.  I know sweating is normal and healthy.  I just don't want to stink!!

well, I am not an all natural, picky deodorant shopper but I love Dove brand.

Before DH and I started making our own (really very simple, and he likes making all kinds of stuff) we tried the all natural stuff.  Didn't work at all.  So thank you for your suggestion.  Sounds like it will smell good. :)

I feel your pain.  I want to love all natural deodorant.  I mean...I really, really want to love it.  BUT, it doesn't work for me.  I stink so bad on it.  I just can't wear it at all.  I have tried the crystal, I have tried Tom's, I have tried like 3 other natural brands....fail! I use Secret  :crying:

If you have given up on natural deodorant, Mitchum is good and long-lasting, but it's also an anti-perspirant.

If you are willing to try something natural at NIGHT, Herbalix detox deodorant is wonderful (it is a bit pricey but lasts a long time). I use a crystal, and if I find that it's not cutting it, using Herbalix at night for a few nights fixes the problem. As a bonus, Herbalix has been shown to reduce breast cysts if you have trouble with that kind of thing.

I am going to have to look into milk of magnesia and some of the other ideas on here.

Arm and hammer really works, and it is not an antiperspirant. I think it is gender neutral and you can find it at Walmart.

I used to wear all types of antiperspirants, but my chest actually started hurting. I stopped using them, and the pain stopped too. Kinda scary, so even though I would rather not have wet pits, it is better than the pain.

Before switching deodorant, try this.

Wet a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol.  Thoroughly wet your underarms with the alcohol and then let air dry.  Apply your regular deodorant. 

Usually it only takes a day or two of doing this for my deodorant to be functional again.

I feel your pain.  I want to love all natural deodorant.  I mean...I really, really want to love it.  BUT, it doesn't work for me.  I stink so bad on it.  I just can't wear it at all.  I have tried the crystal, I have tried Tom's, I have tried like 3 other natural brands....fail! I use Secret  :crying:

Same here. Not only have I found very few natural deodorants that work well, but most make me break out in a horrible blistering armpit rash. Mainstream brands work just fine and don't cause irritation.

Things that have worked for me that aren't mainstream deodorant:

Coconut oil/baking soda

Burt's Bees herbal spray deodorant

Milk of Magnesia

Same here. Not only have I found very few natural deodorants that work well, but most make me break out in a horrible blistering armpit rash. Mainstream brands work just fine and don't cause irritation.

Things that have worked for me that aren't mainstream deodorant:

Coconut oil/baking soda

Burt's Bees herbal spray deodorant

Milk of Magnesia

The homemade deodorant that has worked here (prior to baby #5 - and I think I may still be considered "postpartum") has coconut oil, equal parts baking soda and cornstarch.  If I do a little armpit wash later in the day and reapply things are okay.  Maybe I should just do that before bed…  That is when my hot-natured little girl snuggles up and I get sweaty.

I appreciate all the suggestions. :)