Menu

Kohls return policy (Kohls cash)

LNC

I went to return a sweater with the receipts for $33 from a large order that was partially paid for with Kohls cash. I mentioned I wanted to do an exchange so I didn't lose the Kohls cash discount.

She offered $20 on my Kohls card, so I reiterated I wanted an exchange so I didn't lose the Kohls cash, so she said I had to go find $48 worth to exchage it for ( $48 was the full price on tag). Makes sense to me I could exchange it for $33 since that was what qualified for Kohls cash originally, but it gets much worse!!!

I shopped for an hour filling my cart with clearance merchandise that totalled $50. I went back to customer service and she said "No, one item has to be $48 that you exchange the sweater for. It must be an item for items exact exchange."

I explained that my new purchase would have qualified for the same amount of Kohls cash. Kohls cash doesn't doesn't depend on how many items purchased, just the total. I asked to speak with the manager and she said she was the manager. I ended up just getting just the $20.

I had the same thing happen to me.

I purchased a watch for DD2 last Christmas.  It did not work.  Because I had used Kohls Cash as part of the sale (over $100 and only $10 Kohls cash used) I had to find an item that was the exact price of the watch as they did not have the exact item in stock... well the price on the watch did not match anything else in the store.. so I ended up getting a 'refund' of the price of the watch less $10.  So the Kohls cash was negated by the refund.  I was not out any 'official' money-- but my designated/earned discount was voided.

It would have been better if I would have returned the watch without a receipt...

I still shop at Kohls-- but if I use Kohls cash I make sure my 'purchased items' are nothing I would return and I keep the price as close as possible to the Kohls Cash amount-- even if it means making more than one purchase at the time.

I had the same thing happen to me.

I purchased a watch for DD2 last Christmas.  It did not work.  Because I had used Kohls Cash as part of the sale (over $100 and only $10 Kohls cash used) I had to find an item that was the exact price of the watch as they did not have the exact item in stock... well the price on the watch did not match anything else in the store.. so I ended up getting a 'refund' of the price of the watch less $10.  So the Kohls cash was negated by the refund.  I was not out any 'official' money-- but my designated/earned discount was voided.

It would have been better if I would have returned the watch without a receipt...

I still shop at Kohls-- but if I use Kohls cash I make sure my 'purchased items' are nothing I would return and I keep the price as close as possible to the Kohls Cash amount-- even if it means making more than one purchase at the time.

I ran into the same issue when my mother in law bought me clothes for my birthday in October. As usual, they were not my style so I went to return them to Kohls. In the past, they would give me a merchandise credit for the amount she paid. This time, because she had earned kohls cash on the purchase, they told me that I had to find items for the same exact tag price which would have been impossible or be refunded $10 less. I ended up having them do a return without receipt which came out within a dollar of what it would have been had she not earned kohls cash.

I did end up calling customer service and they told me the store was following policy which had not changed (I call BS on that). They did offer me a 15% coupon for my disappointment (a joke if you shop at Kohls). I came home and promptly sold my stock in the company and will now not buy anything there except for socks and underwear for the kids.

Uggg--this is a Kohl's vent--

I had a $100 gc from dh for Christmas from Kohl's. I bought sneakers and had 40 bucks left over. I have been SO many times, looking for SOMETHING to buy myself, but every single time I walk out so frustrated. NOTHING is organized--there are sales signs and then merchandise NOT on sale directly under the sign. There are On Sale signs and just the regular price so you don't know what the heck the sale is. Nothing is neatly sorted by size, by color, by...ANYTHING. It is the most disorganized women's section I have ever been to!

Now I have a new problem--I have a kitchen gadget to return and can't find the receipt, so all I will get is store credit. GREAT.

Anyone want to buy a Kohl's gift card from me?

Uggg--this is a Kohl's vent--

I had a $100 gc from dh for Christmas from Kohl's. I bought sneakers and had 40 bucks left over. I have been SO many times, looking for SOMETHING to buy myself, but every single time I walk out so frustrated. NOTHING is organized--there are sales signs and then merchandise NOT on sale directly under the sign. There are On Sale signs and just the regular price so you don't know what the heck the sale is. Nothing is neatly sorted by size, by color, by...ANYTHING. It is the most disorganized women's section I have ever been to!

Now I have a new problem--I have a kitchen gadget to return and can't find the receipt, so all I will get is store credit. GREAT.

Anyone want to buy a Kohl's gift card from me?

Why don't you just wait till spring?  Soon they'll get new stuff.  They have this bizarre approach to merchandizing and sales where everything is on sale till you have the k-cash in hand, at which point nothing you want is on sale anymore and all the stuff you wanted is gone.  In other words, I think they use those promo times to clearance.  At least that's how it seems to me.  

I bought some stuff online (not using k-cash) and had an ok experience.  At least that way the size you need is in-stock, if you know you like the item.  Really though, I'd sit on your gift card a bit till new stuff comes in that you like.  I LOVE the Vera Wang pjs they get in...  You can find them online too, maybe even something clearance to make your gc go farther. 

I won't shop there anymore. Any time I went, it seemed like the one thing I wanted was always the only thing not on sale. I refuse to get a store credit card, so I never got the big percentage off things. I decided I didn't want to play anymore.

I LOVE the Vera Wang pjs they get in...  You can find them online too, maybe even something clearance to make your gc go farther. 

Just have to chime in that my stepmom turned me on to these, and they are great!  PJs are always a good use of a gift card.  :)

• 1 year later...
Guest AwesomeSquid13

I went to return a sweater with the receipts for $33 from a large order that was partially paid for with Kohls cash. I mentioned I wanted to do an exchange so I didn't lose the Kohls cash discount.

She offered $20 on my Kohls card, so I reiterated I wanted an exchange so I didn't lose the Kohls cash, so she said I had to go find $48 worth to exchage it for ( $48 was the full price on tag). Makes sense to me I could exchange it for $33 since that was what qualified for Kohls cash originally, but it gets much worse!!!

I shopped for an hour filling my cart with clearance merchandise that totalled $50. I went back to customer service and she said "No, one item has to be $48 that you exchange the sweater for. It must be an item for items exact exchange."

I explained that my new purchase would have qualified for the same amount of Kohls cash. Kohls cash doesn't doesn't depend on how many items purchased, just the total. I asked to speak with the manager and she said she was the manager. I ended up just getting just the $20.

If you paid for the order using some Kohl's cash and returned something on that receipt you should've just gotten some money back on your Kohl's charge and some back on a in-store credit. (a) The only time you lose Kohl's cash is if you buy something, earn Kohl's cash, spend that Kohl's cash, and then return something from the ORIGINAL order where you earned Kohl's cash and if this happens then what you return will be less the amount of Kohl's cash you are now unearned on the original receipt. (b) Or if you buy something, earn Kohl's cash, then return something from that receipt, the Kohl's cash just becomes invalid for the amount of Kohl's cash you unearned. 

(a) I go to Kohl's and buy $102 on 2 sweaters ($51 each) and earn $20 Kohl's cash. During the redemption period I spend the $20 Kohl's cash. Then I go back and return one sweater, I'll only get $41 back because I unearned $10 in Kohl's cash.

(b) I go to Kohl's and buy $102 on 2 sweaters ($51 each) and earn $20 Kohl's cash. Then the next day return one sweater, my Kohl's cash will only be worth $10 because I unearned $10 Kohl's cash. 

Guest AwesomeSquid13

I read the return policy including Kohls cash carefully. It says nothing about an item per item exchange.

At least it happened to someone besides me! Makes me feel better somehow. :)

The Kohl's cash wouldn't say anything about an exchange because it's something completely different. An even exchange has to be an EVEN exchange. The computers only allow employees to exchange one item for another of the same price so that it knows its even.

Guest AwesomeSquid13

I ran into the same issue when my mother in law bought me clothes for my birthday in October. As usual, they were not my style so I went to return them to Kohls. In the past, they would give me a merchandise credit for the amount she paid. This time, because she had earned kohls cash on the purchase, they told me that I had to find items for the same exact tag price which would have been impossible or be refunded $10 less. I ended up having them do a return without receipt which came out within a dollar of what it would have been had she not earned kohls cash.

I did end up calling customer service and they told me the store was following policy which had not changed (I call BS on that). They did offer me a 15% coupon for my disappointment (a joke if you shop at Kohls). I came home and promptly sold my stock in the company and will now not buy anything there except for socks and underwear for the kids.

You could've avoided this problem if she would've given you gift receipts for your clothing items. When having her original receipt the computer thinks its her and will give her back what she was supposed it. 

With gift receipts, the computer recognizes you as a third party member and will give you back what you deserve without you being affected by what she used to pay or what she earned on the transaction. 

Using gift receipts you'll get a in-store credit for what she paid for the items.

You could've avoided this problem if she would've given you gift receipts for your clothing items. When having her original receipt the computer thinks its her and will give her back what she was supposed it.

With gift receipts, the computer recognizes you as a third party member and will give you back what you deserve without you being affected by what she used to pay or what she earned on the transaction.

Using gift receipts you'll get a in-store credit for what she paid for the items.

I now avoid the problem by a) not shopping at Kohls and b) recommending to all my family and friends that they don't either. If you think a gift recipient has any control over what type of receipt they are given, you're nuts. It's interesting that you are choosing to blame your customers instead of your own stupid policies.

I don't shop at Kohls anymore because of their stupid return policy. I bought some towels for a wedding once that ended up not happening and because I received Kohls cash, I couldn't receive the full refund. And then, because their sizing for boys shirts was all screwy and I had to return those.... Well, I'm not really sure what happened there, but I had to go find the same shirt but a different size and buy that one and .... Oh, I don't even remember. But it was dumb. I hate Kohls.

I don't shop at Kohls anymore because of their stupid return policy. I bought some towels for a wedding once that ended up not happening and because I received Kohls cash, I couldn't receive the full refund. And then, because their sizing for boys shirts was all screwy and I had to return those.... Well, I'm not really sure what happened there, but I had to go find the same shirt but a different size and buy that one and .... Oh, I don't even remember. But it was dumb. I hate Kohls.

Dd wanted to return a vest I got her for Christmas from Kohls. I didn't pay Kohls cash to buy, but I earned Kohls cash, so they wanted to subtract $10 from the return even though returning that item only was only a couple of dollars shy of earning the $10. (and I had spend a couple hundred there for Christmas) I hate Kohls cash.

Anyone else find it ironic that this is a zombie thread that's been dead over a year and gets resurrected by someone with 2 posts defending the Kohls policy?

Yeah, this sure is a strange one.   :lol:  I sometimes amuse myself seeing what old threads "Guests" are looking at (main forum page at bottom - click on "See Full List"), but most are intelligent enough to realize they are old threads and don't actually post on them.

Since I'm here I'll confess to really liking Kohls for my guys, but I make sure they are always with me to try things on.  That way we avoid returns.  (We do that for all clothing/stores.)  The one time we had to return a pair of pants due to their having had a seam rip out the first time I washed them there was no problem exchanging - but no Kohl's cash was involved.

Kohl's rarely has clothes that fit me correctly.  I might like them until I get into the dressing room.  In my mind I consider them a "Men's" store, but I realize their women's clothes must fit some folks - just not me.

I now avoid the problem by a) not shopping at Kohls and b) recommending to all my family and friends that they don't either. If you think a gift recipient has any control over what type of receipt they are given, you're nuts. It's interesting that you are choosing to blame your customers instead of your own stupid policies.

Obviously I don't know AwesomeSquid13. The Kohl's policy is complicated--and, yes--frustrating. But I didn't read her comments as anything other than trying to explain how the policy works so people who still shop there might be able to avoid  aggravation in the future. Breaking down and explaining something does not equal defending it. I don't see where anybody was blaming the customer. Telling someone that if they'd been given a gift receipt the problem could have been avoided isn't blaming the recipient. But it does remind me to get one if I buy a gift a Kohl's.

Just a general  observation here..People on this board really come down hard--and unfairly--on new posters at times.  People come out of lurkdom for lots of different reasons. I've only recently done so myself. (I'd been lurking for YEARS.) It took me a very long time to get up the courage to post because I didn't want to get a negative reaction simply by virtue of the fact that I was new. I try to avoid controversial threads for that reason. I'm guessing the poster may be/have been an employee and was trying to be helpful. (I could certainly be wrong.) Yeah, the thread's a bit old. But since Kohl's still offers Kohl's cash, she probably thought she had useful information to share. Some of the other responses to her posts--not this one--were just insulting. Way to make people feel welcome! Unless someone's clearly trying to stir up trouble, why not give the person the benefit of the doubt? It costs nothing.

Ridiculous.  Like they couldn't just have you pay the $2 difference.  What's the likelihood you'll find an item costing exactly that?!

That's one thing I dislike about Kohl's.  All the damn hoop jumping.  I just want to buy clothes. 

Although I am kinda surprised because I thought they were a little more flexible than that. 

Obviously I don't know AwesomeSquid13. The Kohl's policy is complicated--and, yes--frustrating. But I didn't read her comments as anything other than trying to explain how the policy works so people who still shop there might be able to avoid aggravation in the future. Breaking down and explaining something does not equal defending it. I don't see where anybody was blaming the customer. Telling someone that if they'd been given a gift receipt the problem could have been avoided isn't blaming the recipient. But it does remind me to get one if I buy a gift a Kohl's.

Just a general observation here..People on this board really come down hard--and unfairly--on new posters at times. People come out of lurkdom for lots of different reasons. I've only recently done so myself. (I'd been lurking for YEARS.) It took me a very long time to get up the courage to post because I didn't want to get a negative reaction simply by virtue of the fact that I was new. I try to avoid controversial threads for that reason. I'm guessing the poster may be/have been an employee and was trying to be helpful. (I could certainly be wrong.) Yeah, the thread's a bit old. But since Kohl's still offers Kohl's cash, she probably thought she had useful information to share. Some of the other responses to her posts--not this one--were just insulting. Way to make people feel welcome! Unless someone's clearly trying to stir up trouble, why not give the person the benefit of the doubt? It costs nothing.

Ha...how timely bc I'm on my way to Kohl's with a coupon for $10 off a $30 purchase.

I've realized that it is much easier to shop and return at Kohl's when Kohl's cash ISN'T involved. So I only use it on items I'm absolutely sure I'm keeping. I do grab stuff for my kids to try on but I don't use earned Kohl's cash, and if I DO earn the cash on something that might be returned, I don't spend it before I'm sure we're keeping the item.

I usually don't let the Kohl's cash factor in to my buying decisions much since they are strict on the expiration dates now.

Obviously I don't know AwesomeSquid13. The Kohl's policy is complicated--and, yes--frustrating. But I didn't read her comments as anything other than trying to explain how the policy works so people who still shop there might be able to avoid  aggravation in the future. Breaking down and explaining something does not equal defending it. I don't see where anybody was blaming the customer. Telling someone that if they'd been given a gift receipt the problem could have been avoided isn't blaming the recipient. But it does remind me to get one if I buy a gift a Kohl's.

Just a general  observation here..People on this board really come down hard--and unfairly--on new posters at times.  People come out of lurkdom for lots of different reasons. I've only recently done so myself. (I'd been lurking for YEARS.) It took me a very long time to get up the courage to post because I didn't want to get a negative reaction simply by virtue of the fact that I was new. I try to avoid controversial threads for that reason. I'm guessing the poster may be/have been an employee and was trying to be helpful. (I could certainly be wrong.) Yeah, the thread's a bit old. But since Kohl's still offers Kohl's cash, she probably thought she had useful information to share. Some of the other responses to her posts--not this one--were just insulting. Way to make people feel welcome! Unless someone's clearly trying to stir up trouble, why not give the person the benefit of the doubt? It costs nothing.

Just really odd because they would have had to have searched for this as a topic in order to resurrect the thread. Odd topic to be searching for. But, yeah, this board can be quite difficult at times. Might be because it has been scammed a few times. Even had one crazy who was a fairly long time poster. Turns out she/he was actually several people on the board. It was truly crazy.

I had a $100 gc from dh for Christmas from Kohl's. I bought sneakers and had 40 bucks left over. I have been SO many times, looking for SOMETHING to buy myself, but every single time I walk out so frustrated.

Kohl's has Godiva chocolate. I use my Kohl's cash to stock up, perhaps you could use your gift card the same way? They may even have Easter chocolate soon. 

ETA: Good grief - I just realized how old this thread is! 

I'm glad it got bumped.

I tried to make strategic use of my coupon because of it. :lol:

I had 3 things that were $30 added together so I used it on those three bc I knew I wouldn't be returning them. Then I had one more item that might not be a keeper so I paid for that separately but the cashier gave me 15% off even though I didn't have a coupon. She said there was one online so that is why she could do it. So, yay!

I hope my Kohl'sMath works out.

I stopped shopping at Kohl's, too, but only partly by choice. Their customer service sucks when you need to speak to a real person on the phone.

I have discovered that driving two+ hours to Macy's for the big sales makes for a great mother-daughter day out. :thumbup1: