Menu

Library books and the flu? Is this paranoid?

Spryte

I think I'm paranoid.   :leaving:

DH and I have an annual tradition that I'd like to shake this year.  Every flu season, he leaves the country and within hours/days ... our kids catch the flu or the norovirus rips through our house, or some other germ-induced disaster strikes.  It's not fun.  Both kids are prone to very high fevers, DS has severe asthma, and DD vomits with every illness.  I am immune compromised and catch everything.  Last year my mother came to help out, and not only did she catch it - hers turned into pneumonia, despite vaccinating.

This year, we've upped our immune boosting plan, and we've avoided crowded germ-filled places.  I do not want a repeat of previous years.  DH is leaving in a few days, and I've turned into the germ police.

I'm due to pick up our library books today, and what should go through my head but... are there germs on these books???  Really?  I can't believe that even entered my head!

Now I have to ask... Has anyone else worried about this?  Is it a rational thought or I am going way over the top here?

The books go through a lot of hands, so I would assume there are germs on them. How much of a risk it is, I'm not sure. I work for our local library, and the children's books are frequently wiped with a Clorox wipe as they go through check-in. I suppose that helps some. I would be more concerned about the surfaces you come into contact with at the library--tables, computers, etc. than the books themselves.

I have an immune compromised child. I know what you mean about catching everything. It really does do a number on you mentally.

I assume library books have germs. I assume the door handles, car keys, library card, and probably light switch at my front door have more! So we still visit the library (and wash hands before we eat, etc.)

Oops, I was trying to multiquote and respond to everyone, but somehow I've never mastered that skill here.  Thanks, everyone for responding.  :)

My plan is to leave the kids with DH, and run to just pick up the books we have on hold.  I'll run in and run out, and wash hands afterwards. So we won't be wandering around or hanging out in the kids area.  I'm more worried about what might hitchhike into the house on the books, you know?

I think I'll use the clorox wipe on the covers idea - thanks.  We always did that with books for the little ones, but not for the adults or older kiddo.  So that should help.

Funny, as I was typing this, my mother called to say that she is coming to help out again (for fun, no one's currently sick) but as a precaution, her doctor wrote her a prescription for Tamiflu, just in case things get dicey here again - so she can fill it and take it at the first sign of symptoms.  Apparently, even my mother feels the mild PTSD from last year.  (And, yes, I know PTSD is real, and I'm not making light of it - it was bad last year, and we all felt traumatized by the time it was over.  We had 6 weeks of serious illness.)

I am a germophobe and use my elbow to open door handles in public places and use a disposable paper napkin to hold doors open (yes, people think I am weird, including my own family members). I ask my child to wash his hands after reading library books. I also give him probiotics all through the flu season as my doctor said that it helps to keep the immune system in an alert state.

Germs do not live beyond a few hours on books. Maybe bringing the books home, saving them for a couple of days before reading them would be a good idea? Or, get ebooks from your library?

Flu virus germs can't live very long on a dry surface like a library book. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The CDC says they can live on surfaces for 2 to 8 hours. One option is to leave the books in the car for up to 8 hours before anyone touches them.

Aha!  Thank you.  I will leave the books in the care for a bit before bringing them in, too.  Perfect.

All this, and I know it's not likely to catch the flu or anything else from a library book.  It's probably more likely to hitch a ride on us on the way home from the grocery store, but at least this makes me feel better about it.

You're not alone in your paranoia. :)

I like the idea of leaving the books in the car for a day or two as a precaution. Maybe it's silly -- heck, probably it's silly -- but better safe than sorry, and also better safe than worried.

Just so you don't feel like the only lunatic, I wanted to let you know that I was at the grocery store late last night and the cashier was definitely sick. She was trying not to cough in my direction, but when I asked her if she was feeling sick, she said she knew she had a cold and she might have a fever. Soooooooo..... let's just say I may never have used as much hand sanitizer as I did when I got in my car... and the truly crazy part is that when I got home, I wiped down EVERY SINGLE ITEM with sanitizer before I put anything away. And the stuff that didn't need to be refrigerated is still in the grocery store bags until I'm sure the germs are good and dead! :D

I have been a bit of a germaphobe since my ds was little, but now that my dh is immunocompromised, I have turned into a complete nut about it.

I hope you guys stay healthy!!!

Just so you don't feel like the only lunatic, I wanted to let you know that I was at the grocery store late last night and the cashier was definitely sick. She was trying not to cough in my direction, but when I asked her if she was feeling sick, she said she knew she had a cold and she might have a fever. Soooooooo..... let's just say I may never have used as much hand sanitizer as I did when I got in my car... and the truly crazy part is that when I got home, I wiped down EVERY SINGLE ITEM with sanitizer before I put anything away. And the stuff that didn't need to be refrigerated is still in the grocery store bags until I'm sure the germs are good and dead! :D

Oooh, I have totally thought of doing this recently!  I settled for scrubbing the heck out of any produce we eat without cooking.  If our cashier had been that sick, there's a good chance I'd have been using wipes on all of it, too.

I have never been a germaphobe, but I can see how it happens.  We were all so, so sick last year (and the other years, too, but last one landed some of us in the ER, and the misery was simply beyond anything I've ever experienced).  I will do anything to avoid going through that again.  I must have whined here till everyone was sick of hearing it, too.  So, see, I have the hive's interest at heart, too!  

Let the books sit in the car for 24 hours. 

Nhs reports that a number of germs, viruses and bacteria can live for 24 hours.  I think avoiding the crowds and letting things sit in the car for 24 hours and even wiping them off is less trouble than dealing with catching something esp if you are handling things alone.

I have worked at the library for the last six years. We have a very nice, well kept building/materials but I can truly say,"AVOID THE LIBRARY AND MATERIALS"!!! The number of times people step up to the counter to check out/attend classes and are hacking, coughing, sneezing, and obviously sick is amazing. Also, you'd be surprised at how many kids chew on the books, drag them on the ground, etc. I had one patron tell me the other day, even though she/kids had been to the dr.,were on antibiotics & told to stay home,they just HAD to get out of the house to pick up some DVDs-yes, SpongeBob is truly a compelling reason to drag your kids out & infect the rest of us!!!!! I just wish people would use a little common sense & be considerate of others. 

I have worked at the library for the last six years. We have a very nice, well kept building/materials but I can truly say,"AVOID THE LIBRARY AND MATERIALS"!!! The number of times people step up to the counter to check out/attend classes and are hacking, coughing, sneezing, and obviously sick is amazing. Also, you'd be surprised at how many kids chew on the books, drag them on the ground, etc. I had one patron tell me the other day, even though she/kids had been to the dr.,were on antibiotics & told to stay home,they just HAD to get out of the house to pick up some DVDs-yes, SpongeBob is truly a compelling reason to drag your kids out & infect the rest of us!!!!! I just wish people would use a little common sense & be considerate of others. 

Yikes.   :ack2: 

I have become a very bad germaphobe. It started after I had the swine flu in 2009. I thought I was going to die, literally. We have not been to the library in over a month. I download books onto my kindle. Once flu season is over we will go back to paper books, but not before. I carry clorox wipes and hand sanitizer in my purse and keep a can of Lysol spray in my car. (I spray down the entire shopping cart, not just the handle!) I may look silly, and it might not make any difference, but I don't care lol.. I'm disinfecting everything that I possibly can.

I have become a very bad germaphobe. It started after I had the swine flu in 2009. I thought I was going to die, literally. We have not been to the library in over a month. I download books onto my kindle. Once flu season is over we will go back to paper books, but not before. I carry clorox wipes and hand sanitizer in my purse and keep a can of Lysol spray in my car. (I spray down the entire shopping cart, not just the handle!) I may look silly, and it might not make any difference, but I don't care lol.. I'm disinfecting everything that I possibly can.

:grouphug: Oh, that's horrible.  A few years ago, we had flu strains A and B at the same time, and I thought the same thing.  Last year, DS had both strains at once again.  It was awful.  Reading your words really reminded me of how bad it was.  The crowning top on all of it last year was seeing my mom develop pneumonia as a result, and the fear I felt for her.  No library book is worth that.   :(

You know what?  I'm thinking the kindle and the iPad might be just fine for our book fix for the next few weeks.  If I *must* have a new book, we'll use our Amazon Prime and order it.  

It might be paranoid, I know.  I was planning on picking up our books after reading this thread.  But the last few responses have really reminded me of just how awful it was.  

So it looks like I'm caving to the paranoia.  Call me Germaphobe.   :D

Somewhere I read/saw that germs  (and living things in general) need warm, moist environments in which to live, so there are actually far fewer on cold steel bathroom door handles than most of us think -- maybe it was Mythbusters, as it sounds like something they would do.  I suspect dry book paper/covers to be similar.  An exception might be a plastic covered book that was just put back on the return cart by a germ-y kid, but if you try to control for that, you'll end up not going to the library, which is worse.

Well, I hadn't even considered that.....until I opened this thread.  Now I am eyeing my just-picked-up-from-the-library-today books with deep suspicion.  I think, to be on the safe side, they'll go back in the car overnight and I'll be scrubbing my hands with heavy duty soap.  I heard a LOT of coughing going on at the library when I was there.

Rats.

Well, I hadn't even considered that.....until I opened this thread.  Now I am eyeing my just-picked-up-from-the-library-today books with deep suspicion.  I think, to be on the safe side, they'll go back in the car overnight and I'll be scrubbing my hands with heavy duty soap.  I heard a LOT of coughing going on at the library when I was there.

Rats.

Oops.  Sorry.  If I had the books in hand, I'd probably give them a wipe down and just enjoy them.

Like Tom said, I remember reading/seeing that germs grow best in moist environments.  Thus the reason I think I'm being paranoid.  It's probably no riskier than grocery shopping.  Or about the same, and that's not optional.  

That said, I've somehow talked myself into relaxing the paranoia and then returning to it - in the space of this thread!  I *hate* the flu, which often turns into something serious for my asthma/allergy kid.  So, since I don't have the books yet - I'm going to wait to pick them up till I at least have back up (in the form of DH in town), just in case.  It's overkill, I'm sure.  

I never really thought much about it until a couple of years ago when I was talking with a friend on the phone.  Her (large) family had all come down with the stomach virus (not her) and she was headed to the library to stock up on books and movies for them.  That's when it sort of occurred to me where the books we use have been.  :ack2:   Since then I have spoken with a couple other friends who do the same thing- if their kids are sick they stock up on library items to keep them entertained while down (or still reading and learning at least).  Ick. Ick. Ick.  Flu/cold germs may not live long on surfaces, but stomach viruses do.  Since I share library with some of these friends, I no longer go to the library during peak flu season or when there is a rampant stomach virus.  No book or movie is worth all that sickness.  I'd rather spend $20 and buy it.  I tried to work out the cost once- of a stomach virus- running the laundry every 2 hours, all the paper towels and gloves and electrolyte juice, etc.  It's much cheaper to just buy a few books.  :tongue_smilie:

Along the grocery line ... Do any of your local markets have delivery? We have a Stop & Shop and they deliver through PeaPod. All you do is shop on line and it really doesn't cost that much. One of the women in our local homeschool group has two young children, a husband who is often out of town, and a terminally ill father and so she is ordering groceries delivered to cut down on germ exposure. 

We don't have delivery here, but our grocery store will do the shopping for you, and load it into the car.  We place our order online, they "shop" it, we pull up and they load it in for us.  It's a flat $5 fee, no matter how much we shop.  Well worth the $5.  The shoppers know us, and they know our preferences re: substitutions and shopping for produce and meats.  They do a great job.  I think it's a great idea!

I can't tell you how many times our "shoppers" are sick though.  It's not uncommon for them to be sniffling, or hoarse with a sore throat.  So it cuts down on some exposure, but obviously not all.  

Still, worth it to me in terms of time saved, allergen exposure for our allergic-to-everything son, ease and convenience.  I detest grocery shopping.  

It might seem like overkill, Spryte, but if it makes you feel better then I don't think you need to feel guilty about it!

Speaking of service workers doing their jobs while exhibiting signs of illness...I was at a restaurant the other day and the server was speaking softly.  I asked her once to repeat herself and she leaned toward me, told me the words I had missed, and then added, "I'm sorry.  I'm sick, so my voice isn't what it usually is."   In my mind, I did this>>>   :huh: .  Outwardly, I just smiled and said I was sorry she wasn't feeling well. 

I do understand that people sometimes feel like they *need* to be at work for financial or other reasons, but I'd prefer they didn't  ANNOUNCE to customers that they're sick!

I am not a germophobe, I promise I'm not, but we typically end up with one upper respiratory illness and one gastrointestinal illness somewhere in late November or December.  There was one year where we skipped the gastrointestinal illness and the only thing I can figure is that we stayed home more.  I hate the gi stuff with a passion because my dh is never home when it happens and I cannot handle cleaning it up.  So, while we have not forgone the library in general, starting in early November I do not let the kids in the building.  I also skip going to the YMCA and using child watch and do not allow my children to play with toys at any doctor's offices or other public locations.

We were doing pretty well until towards the end of December when I let my kids use the iPads at the Apple Store while dh and I were picking up the kids' new iPad.  Shortly after my kids came down with a seriously yucky upper respiratory infection that dh and I managed to avoid (thank the goddess).  So, while I'm sure my cardiovascular health takes a hit in the winter, I have now decided to go back to my curmudgeonly self and swear off most public places and child watch.  Because you know if I do venture out of the house, the kids will get sick, my dh will not be home, and I will once again wish I owned a hazmat suit.

So, no, I don't worry about the covers on library books, but I do all of my trips to the library solo and request my items so I can run to the hold shelf, pick up my books, check out, and leave just as fast as my legs will carry me.  My BIL made some snide comment about how the kids' immune systems wouldn't get as much practice this year.  I may have sworn at him and suggested that perhaps he tell me that again after his infant has become a young child.

Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I can guarantee you if we miss the GI crud this year, we'll be doing this again next year or at least until my kids are old enough to take care of themselves.

I don't borrow trouble. That said, I speak from the priveleged perspective of being healthy with healthy kids. My main precaution for the library is the same as other places- wash my hands, be mindful of what I have just touched before I touch my face. Wash hands or use hand sanitizer after using keyboards and checkout terminals.

We avoid most of the kids DVDs which may help with germs but mostly helps avoid frustration because none of them are in good enough condition to play without skipping.

The only books I avoid are the potty training ones because of where I assume they've been.

Otherwise, I am like millions & millions of other people and just risk it.  I think never taking out a library book would make me a lot poorer, but my kids'd still get stick 1-2 times per year anyway.

My dental hygenist this morning was talking about her nasty sinus infection and cough...she put on a facemask and gloves to work on me, but I was kind of put off that she was at work sick and that the dentist was in the room talking to her and said nothing about her needing to go home. I am not a germaphobe, but still, ugh!

If possible have your mom get the tamiflu prescription filled before she comes down with symptoms. Tamiflu is very scarce in certain areas, and she might need to try several pharnacies.

You are not paranoid, btw. :)

My dental hygenist this morning was talking about her nasty sinus infection and cough...she put on a facemask and gloves to work on me, but I was kind of put off that she was at work sick and that the dentist was in the room talking to her and said nothing about her needing to go home. I am not a germaphobe, but still, ugh!

If possible have your mom get the tamiflu prescription filled before she comes down with symptoms. Tamiflu is very scarce in certain areas, and she might need to try several pharnacies.

In the case of the cashier (and to a certain degree the hygienist), I think that's an entirely separate issue.  The cashier likely doesn't have sick leave and can't afford to go without the pay.  The cashier can also face discipline of "excessive" absence which could really be interpreted any number of ways by the employer.  DH has sick leave, but if you use more than a day or so you get a negative review in your file.  As long as we have a culture that a)does not provide paid sick time and b)threatens discipline when employees are out sick, we will have people who go to work sick when they should be at home.

The hygienist probably feels that her employer appreciates her dedication and based upon the dentist's non-reaction I'd say that's probably a pretty fair assessment.

The only books I avoid are the potty training ones because of where I assume they've been.

Otherwise, I am like millions & millions of other people and just risk it.  I think never taking out a library book would make me a lot poorer, but my kids'd still get stick 1-2 times per year anyway.

I can't believe I have never thought of this before!  Thank goodness all of mine are potty trained.